Graduation and Punishment

Just Can't Say 'No'

 

            "Come on! Don't be such a baby and man up! This is your future on the line here." Ella and Sandeul were both pulling on Jin Young's arms, trying to get him out of the classroom. It was well after exams and today was the day the final grades came out. As a senior who was previously failing all of his courses, this was the day the feared the most. As do all the other grads. Their lives and futures depended on getting good grades for greater probability of being accepted into a prestigious university. 

            "Being stubborn wouldn't postpone anything when the marks are already posted for everyone to see," Sandeul sighed. "I question if you're actually the older one, sometimes."

            "Oppa, just leave him. We'll go on our own. Oh, and if you get a higher rank than I do, I'll give you a special reward." She winked at Sandeul, to Jin Young's horror, and skipped off with him, hands entwined. 

            "Yah! You rascal! Get your hands off my girlfriend!"

            They both giggled and looked back, but their smiles dropped at the sight of Jin Young racing towards them like a raging bull.

            "RUN!" Sandeul screamed. 

            "GET BACK HERE SO I CAN RIP YOUR PRECIOUS HAIR OUT! STOP IT! DON'T TOUCH HER!"

            "Well, at least that got him moving..."

            "Oppa, stop joking around and RUN FOR YOUR LIFE!"

--

            "Why is there an asterisk next to my name?! Tell me why it's there?! What's going on?!" Jin Young latched into Ella's arm, wringing it in panic. Her arm seared with pain and she pried his hands off before he could do any further damage. 

            "I don't know. It says here, 'Students with an asterisk next to their name must meet with the principal after school in the auditorium.' Um...I'm sure it's nothing..." she spoke, but with uncertainty.

            "Just go, I'll wait for you to come out so that you'll have shoulder to cry on," she sniggered. 

            "Yah! At least be more supportive of your boyfriend. For all we know, I could be held back another year. Hey, maybe that's not so bad. I get to spend senior year with my senior girlfriend!" Jin Young hugged her and nuzzled his face into her neck. She laughed and pushed him away.

            "Senior girlfriend? Somehow, I'm picturing an elderly lady with grey hair wearing a school uniform. Are you cheating on me with an older woman?" she gasped, feigning shock. He stared at her with a look of shock mixed with slight nausea. His expression tested her acting skills and she failed miserably. She couldn’t keep her straight face and burst into laughter. She clutched at her aching stomach, dropping down onto the floor in laughter.

            "Don't tease me!" Jin Young stomped his feet and pouted.

            It was Sandeul's turn to feel sick.

            "I think I threw up a little." He gagged, eyed the older boy, and turned around to escape from the horrors of failed aegyo.

            "Whatever happens after school, just know that you'll have Sandeul oppa and I there waiting for you." She grabbed his hand and gave it a squeeze. "Let's go get some food now, shall we?"

--

            "Testing, one, two. Ah, ah, is this thing on? Oh, pardon me. Welcome, students. As you all may have noticed, each and every one of you had a star next to your names. Now, don't start panicking or anything. Instead, congratulate yourselves. Those stars represent the students who will be walking across this stage at valedictory to not only receive their diplomas, but also their scholarships. Job well done to all of you--"

            From that point, Jin Young could not remember anything the principal had said. Only one word stuck.

            Scholarship. He was getting a scholarship. He was getting a scholarship? 

            'Whaaat...?'

--

            Ella worriedly glanced at Jin Young, twiddling her fingers as he wordlessly stared into space. He had dragged her away after the meeting and now, they were sitting in the cafe across from the school. He hadn't said a word about what had happened in there, and his blank expression wasn't making it any more comfortable for her. She was panicking for him. Had he failed? Was he going to be held back a year? Why wasn't he saying anything?!

            "I..."

            It was the first word he had spoken and it caught her off guard. She jumped in her seat and stared at him. He didn't continue, dragging on the horrid feeling of suspense.

            "Ella, I got...a scholarship?"

            It came out as more of a question than a fact. The idea was still processing to him. In fact, it seemed as if his brain was rejecting it all together. There was no possible way he had managed to nab a scholarship. Was there?

            She looked at him wide eyed. Had she heard him correctly? Did the word "scholarship" really escape from his lips? The excitement for him bubbled inside of her and she burst up from her seat, grabbed his hands and jumped up and down, squealing. 

            "*cough*Sit down, Ella. People are looking," he whispered loudly, pulling her down into the seat next to him. She wouldn't stop blubbering and squirming around, so he pulled her into a tight hug, and silenced her with a kiss.

            She immediately calmed down and melted into his kiss. No matter how many times they had kissed before, he never failed to take her breath away every time. 

            'Maybe this is what true love feels like...' 

--

            "So, I never got the chance to properly congratulate you because I was so rudely interrupted. *cough* So, um, Congrats." 

            "You know you liiiked it~ And, thanks. I still can't believe it." He sighed happily, swinging their hands. It was nearing sun down, and they we on their way home. The orange sky glowed above them, lighting the horizon on fire, casting warmth on the couple. 

            "Why did you apply anyway, Jin Young-sshi?"

            He stopped in thought. In turn, she was held back by his grasp. 

            "Jin Young-sshi?"

            "Well, I applied when you were still in the coma. I don't know what I was thinking, but I...I thought of you and all the work you put into tutoring me. You kept talking about university and scholarship opportunities during lessons, so it was always at the back of my mind. I guess, I guess you were my reason. I wanted to make you proud if I got one?"

            "Jin Young-sshi..." she whispered. Her eyes pooled with tears.

            "What's wrong?!" He saw her tears and panicked. Why was she crying?

            "Hahaha, don't worry. I'm just happy. I didn't think you would take my advice or even listen to anything I had said," she mumbled, wiping her cheeks with her sleeves. He took her wrists and pulled them away, wiping her cheeks with his thumbs.

            "Stop wiping with your sleeve. You're going to give yourself a rash."

            "Congrats again, Jin Young-sshi."

            "Thanks, Ella."

--

            "This next young scholar is a special student whom I give my utmost respect to. In some ways, he reminds me of a Phoenix, starting his senior year at the pits of his class, losing all hope for his post secondary career. However, the hopes that he once thought had perished rose from the ashes and soared high into the sky, surpassing his peers, and his own, expectations. It may seem like I'm going overboard with this, but it's an excellent example for future students to look up to and see that with hard work, there comes a reward. I am extremely proud to present this next scholarship, a full scholarship for an Audio Arts program, to our one and only, Jung Jin Young. Please, give him a round of applause."

            Ella and Sandeul cheered from their seats, jumping up and down. Jin Young heard their distinct screams from amongst the crowd and searched for them. He found them at the back, standing on their chairs. A small white banner fluttered between them and he squinted to read it.

            (CONGRATULATIONS, JIN!)

            Little smiley faces and hearts adorned the borders. He chuckled at them and sent them a peace sign and a special wink for Ella.

            "Uh, thank you. This scholarship came as a surprise to me more than it did to my teachers. Did you guys really have that much faith in a slacker like me? Hahaha, anyway, I'd like to thank my friends and parents, but there is one person whom I am forever indebted to. Without her incessant nagging and hours of lessons, I wouldn't have been able to receive this award in the first place. Ella, jagiya, thank you!" He held his arms above him in the shape of a heart aimed it right at her. 

            'Jagiya...' she thought with a blush. The heart was overkill and she ducked her head, red faced, as the parents and students sitting around her turned to stare. Some cooed at his actions while others held back their lunch, Sandeul included.

            'Jin, I gave you the girl. Don't push it,' he glared, but quickly held his mouth as Jin Young sent Ella a flying kiss. 

            "Thanks, Mr. Jung. I think we get your point. Well, this wraps up this year's scholarship presentation. At this time, I would like to ask of the graduating seniors to line up for their last walk across this stage as high school students." Excited murmurs hummed through the audience and shuffling grad gowns filled the auditorium. One by one, students were called across the stage to receive their diplomas and when Jin Young's name was announced, Ella and Sandeul waved their banner and cheered their hearts out.

            'He made it. He graduated...' Tears dropped onto her cheeks and she hastily wiped them away. No words could describe her joy for him. All the things they went through that year, all those memories she would hold for the rest of her life, played like a roll of film and a sense of peace overcame her. 

            She held no regrets. Everything she had done, everything he had done, she didn't regret any of it. Without his arrogance, without her stubbornness, they wouldn't be where they were at that second. He wouldn't have a full scholarship and she wouldn't be celebrating the joyous day with her best friend and her boyfriend.

--

            "Good job, man! You're a graduate now!" Sandeul and Jin Young gave each other a manly hug and pat on the back.

            "Thanks. You know those people who say it doesn't feel any different after walking across that stage? They’re lying out of their teeth. IT'S SO WEIRD, MAN." The boys laughed and gave each other a high five. Ella shook her head at their playfulness and broke out into a smile as Jin Young spotted her. She ran into his open arms and he spun her around.

            "Congrats!"

            "Hahaha, thank you. Did you get my kiss?" he teased, wiggling his eyebrows at her. She scowled and slapped him on the arm. 

            "It was so embarrassing. Everybody was staring at me," she mumbled, pouting. 

            "Aww, I'm sorry~" He pulled her into a hug. She hugged him, looking up. She stretched up onto her tippy toes and whispered something into his ear. A wide grin spread across his face and he leaned down to kiss her. 

            "Ugh, not when I'm around, guys. I'd like to have an appetite for the dinner you're buying, Jin." Sandeul shuddered and turned to give the couple some privacy, but he couldn't help but smile. He had to admit, they were cute together. He was just glad things had ended the way they had and nobody was hurt badly. 

            'Friends. Best friends. If that’s all I can get, I'll take it...'

            Jin Young broke away from the kiss and smiled down at her. This was why he loved her so much, she knew what to say at the right times. Her words echoed in his thoughts as the trio left for their night of celebration at the BBQ house.

            "Congratulations. And, I got your kiss...Oppa..."

--

            It was dark out when the boys dropped her off at home. She scrunched her nose at the smell of burnt meat lingering on her sweater.

            'Next time, I'm cooking...'

            "Umma, Appa, I'm home." She didn't expect any of them to be awake, but surprisingly enough, the kitchen lights were on and loud voices echoed through the house.

            'Is there a robber in our house?' She raced into the kitchen and let out a breath of relief when she saw her family sitting at the table. Haneul was red eyed and furiously glaring at her. She could feel the hatred emanating off the older girl.

            "Ah, you're home. Why don't you go wash up and get some sleep. Seems like the boys burnt the meat again, huh?" Ella's step mom laughed at the burnt smell. Ella glanced at her dad, who smiled at her with a nod, but turned back to Haneul with a glower. 

            Too afraid to speak, Ella warily bowed and backed out of the kitchen, stealing one last glance at her mother who nodded reassuringly at her and waved her out.

            'What happened?'

--

            Loud clamoring woke Ella with a start and she hopped out of bed. Just like last night, loud voices echoed from the living room and she caught snippets and phrases of the conversation. 

            "Disgrace...not graduate?!...punished...with grandmother....school....family in America...." Ella stared at her door, completely confused. What about graduation, grandmother, and America? Quietly, she tip toed out of her room, glancing at the clock in the hallway on the way out.

            5 am. 5 am and already arguing.

            She crept to the top of the stairs and looked down, ears straining to catch the rest of the conversation.

            "Why are you doing this to me?!" Haneul shrieked. "What did I do to deserve this punishment?!"

            "We've discussed this all night and just seconds ago. Maybe that's why you failed to graduate, you don’t listen to others when they speak to you," Mr. Choi calmly replied with a hard voice. Ella knew her dad never got angry easily, but ever since they moved into the house with Haneul and her mother, he had lost his temper more than she had seen in her life. 

            "Honey, calm down. We don't want to wake Ella up," Ella's mother whispered and looked up at the stairs. Ella flattened herself onto the floor, praying they wouldn't see her. 

            "Who cares about the ? All you guys care about is Ella. What about me?" Haneul sneered. She looked up and caught sight of Ella. They locked eyes and she glared darkly at the younger girl. Just as she was about to call her out, their mother yanked on her ear.

            "What did you just call your step sister?! What? A ?"

            Haneul squirmed out her mother's grasp.

            Ella flinched at the sound of her mother swearing. 

            Mr. Choi grabbed Haneul's wrist and forcefully yanked her out of the house without a word.

            "I'm dropping her off at the airport, NOW. Mother will meet me there. I'll be back later, without this disgrace of a child. And for your information, Missy, we’re doing this to you because we’re thinking of you and your future. Hopefully this is a lesson you’ll learn and remember." With that, they were gone. It was just Ella and her mother now.

            A throaty sob caught her attention and she raced down the stairs.

            "Umma, gwenchana?"

            "Ella, you're up. Did we wake you?"

            "Neh," she answered truthfully, "but it's not a problem. Where is Appa taking Unnie?" At the mention of Haneul, her mother almost broke into another round of tears.

            "He took her to the airport to meet grandmother. We're sending them to LA to stay with some relatives. She failed to graduate and needs to retake her senior year, so we’re sending her to LA, somewhere far away from any distractions at home. Grandmother seems like the only one who can deal with her attitude, so she graciously volunteered to go for us. What am I going to do with that girl?" She sighed into her hand and rubbed her temples. Ella scrambled behind her and massaged her shoulders. "Thanks honey. Why can't she learn manners from you?"

            "It's not her fault...maybe she's just going through her rebellion stage?" Ella suggested.

            "Well, she can for through it in the States all alone. We won't let her come back until she grows up and starts acting humane and drops the attitude."

            Ella pouted and opened to convince her to let Haneul stay, but her mother held up a hand.

            "I know you want to help her, but let your father and I do this. Just once, don't try to save her. We know she had put you through a hard time this year, so let us discipline her. I know you mean well," she sighed, poking Ella on the cheek, "but listen to Umma this time, okay?"

            "Neh, Umma," Ella reluctantly replied. She continued massaging her mother's shoulders, kneading out the stress from life and from Haneul. 

            'I hope she'll be fine living there...'


Wooooot, updated again. I'm about one third through the last chapter. I can't believe it's almost over T^T 

ON A SIDE NOTE, I feel accomplished...this will be my second fic I've completed and posted on the interwebs =OO *throws confetti*

*cough* anyway, my next fic is already in the making. I've completed the storyline and all the chapters.... I'm not gonna lie, it's my brainchild. I love it and I hope all of you love it too~~ It'll be an Infinite fic, CAUSE I WUB THEM OH SO MUCH cause they're cool, y'know...So yea, keep an eye out for it! 

COMMENT REPLIES

@ kmn007: FINALLY, you're satisfied LOL ijoke. I think you're smart enough to figure out the ending LOL remember my inspiration? ....gave too much away *shoots self*
@ hai_young: Hahaha, Deul = forever friendzoned. dang. Aww, it's okay, I have a new fic in the works! Stay tuned~
@ diannadidi: hahaha, it'll be a 'happily ever after' ending XD hopefully that's okay with you~

See you all in the next Chapter!

-greenninjapanda GNP-

*NOTE* So...I opened the new fic right after I posted this....here it is! "Epicenter"