A Lifetime's Commitment

A Lifetime's Commitment

Mine

 

“Where’s Mr.Shin?” The doctor asked while checking on Kyuhyun.

 

“He’s not here. He just got married.” Sungmin answered him.

 

“Oh. So can you please tell me why there are tons of people here? Are we having a live show?” The doctor eyed each of them before turning to Sungmin “Who are they? I don’t remember Kyuhyun having this much friends.”

 

Hyukjae, Donghae and Hangeng bowed to the Doctor respectfully and decided to leave the room. He looked at Heechul as if waiting for an explanation.

 

“I-I’m Heechul, I’m Kyuhyun’s brother.” He said hesitantly earning a surprised reaction from the doctor.

 

“You’re his brother?Hmm. Then good. But I think I need to explain everything to you first. I’m Park Jungsoo, Kyuhyun’s doctor.” He said, shaking Heechul’s hands. “Sungmin, I think you may go now too. Or not, if you want to here everything again.”

 

“It’s fine hyung. I’ll stay.” Sungmin smiled at him taking the seat at the far end of the room.

 

“So, I suppose only the family is here--” He started to explain Kyuhyun’s case but halted even before he finished his sentence when he saw Ryeowook jolt up from his seat beside Kyuhyun’s bed.

 

“I-I’m sorry. I’m leaving now.” He stuttered, bowing in 90 degrees continuously to hide the tears that are now forming at the corner of his eyes.

 

I forgot. I’m not a family. I shouldn’t be here. He thought. Then he caught a glimpse of Sungmin at the corner of the room with a worried look on his face. He tried to exit faster but a hand grabbed his wrist, and before he could react, he found himself hugging Heechul’s back, the older holding his hands to prevent him from escaping.

 

“H-hyung..” He whispered, but Heechul only tightened his hold on Ryeowook.

 

“Yes doctor, both of us are Kyuhyun’s family. You can continue.” Heechul caressed Ryeowook’s hands, feeling it tremble a bit. He silently sighed when his back was stained with Ryeowook’s tears.

 

“Hmmm.. Okay then.  It’s actually quite simple.. there’s nothing to worry about. Just things you need to understand and take note of. You do know why he’s saying here in this isolated island right?” The doctor asked. And the two nodded simultaneously.

 

“He’s suffering from depression.” The doctor continued. “Mr.Shin explained everything to me, what happened to him when your parents died… and it’s not easy to get over it, really. I think, the last time he collapsed was three years ago, and just like now, he collapsed due to stress and exhaustion. His body is weak, we all know that right? So please help him. Don’t do anything that will confuse him. He’s a great child, and if there’s one thing that he’s not good at, it’s controlling his feelings.” He stated while writing Kyuhyun’s drug prescriptions.

 

“So, the reason he collapsed a while ago isn’t primarily about his emotions? Exhaustion? How could he be..” Heechul asked, but stopped when Sungmin gasp from his seat.

 

“Well..I… we… Uhmmm… Donghae, Kyuhyun, Hyukjae and I… stayed up all night… playing.. starcraft.” Sungmin sank down in his chair, with Dr. Park and Heechul’s eyes both wide staring at him. But everyone laughed when Ryeowook peeked from behind Heechul.

 

“Why… you’re all having fun without me?” He said with a cute pout contrasting his eyes a bit swollen and red from crying. Everyone giggled making the awkward atmosphere lighter.

 

“So, I guess that’s it? I have another appointment, so if you’ll excuse me. I’m going now. Nice to meet you.” Dr. Park again shook Heechul’s hand and waved to Sungmin before turning to Ryeowook who’s still hugging Heechul. He ruffled the smaller one’s hair and whispered to him.

 

“Be strong, young man.” He said with a smile and Ryeowook returned it with just as much warmth.

 

Heechul loosened his hold onto Ryeowook’s arm and Sungmin, feeling the atmosphere decided that it’s best for him to leave them alone.

 

“Wookie. Do you want to tell hyung what happened?” The older said as he the younger’s hair. The latter only tightened his hold onto Heechul’s sides, making him more worried than he already was.

 

“N-nothing…” He just said. But Heechul is Heechul. By the way Ryeowook acted a while ago, he can clearly sense mistrust in his words and actions. Like he doesn’t know if one is actually a friend or a foe.

 

“Ryeowook..” Heechul pulled the boy slightly away from him, and Ryeowook shuddered by the cold mention of his name. Heechul never called him by his real name and even in formal events; he would sing to him the nickname he gave him. “..do you know what family means?” And to Heechul’s expectant look, Ryeowoook cried more.

 

“You love the movie Lilo and Stitch right? How can you forget? Ohana, means family..” Heechul stopped.

 

“F-family means… nobody gets left behind… Or forgotten..” The now calm Ryeowook continued with tears still sliding down his cheeks. “I’m sorry hyung.”

 

And Heechul  just smiled. He knew better. Because of the thing that happened between him and his real family, it’s so hard for him to trust someone that easily. Same as Kyuhyun.  Kyuhyun never trusted anyone; he never comes close to anyone but Heechul, Siwon, and Mr.Shin. The only difference between Ryeowook and Kyuhyun is that Ryeowook is trying. But the very first and last time Kyuhyun tried, there and then, he found Ryeowook.

 

“It’s okay. It’s okay my ba---“

 

“Yah! Cho Ryeowook!” Someone shouted when Heechul tried to kiss Ryeowook’s forehead, and when Ryeowook recognized the owner of the voice, he pulled away completely from his hyung and sprinted towards the bed.

 

“Kyu~ you’re awake.” Ryeowook said with a worried smile as he sat beside Kyuhyun on the bed.

 

“You little brat. Tch.” Heechul whispered. It’s not like I’ve got the hots for my baby. Why so jealous? He said in his mind.

 

Sungmin and the others, hearing Kyuhyun shouting barged into the room almost immediately.

 

“I.. passed out again?” Kyuhyun asked Ryeowook. And Ryeowook confusedly looked at Sungmin as if waiting for an answer. He doesn’t know what happened to Kyuhyun.

 

“He doesn’t remember anything. The reason why he passed out, that is.” Sungmin smiled, inching closer to Ryeowook, then he whispered. “So just let it pass.. don’t make him feel unloved again, okay?” And the younger smiled back. Sungmin took it as a seal of the promise they left unsaid.

 

“Hey, Wookie. You know what?” Kyuhyun asked, taking all of the smaller one’s attention back to him.

 

“What?” He asked, getting impatient because Kyuhyun just smiled at him when he looked back at him. Then Kyuhyun placed his hand on Ryeowook’s shoulder and pulled him closer that their cheeks are resting on each other, Kyuhyun’s lips a mere centimeters away from Ryeowook’s ears. “I get extremely jealous too.” He whispered. And Ryeowook turned red. A tomato. Kyuhyun said in his mind.

 

 

The others again went out of the room when they saw the atmosphere around the two. They’re literally dragging Heechul with them, and the two seems oblivious of the comedy going on behind them.

 

“Hyung, we saw the CCTV camera in that area. And it seemed like these girls learned about Ryeowook’s past… and..” Sungmin said, showing Heechul a photo of the girls and a CD copy of the CCTV video.

 

“I guess I need to stay longer.” Heechul said with a smile grabbing Hangeng by the hand and pulling Donghae along with him. “Come on guys, let’s watch this. I only have two hands; I can’t pull you all you know.”

 

 

 

“I.. that.. thing.. about Heechul hyung.. it’s n-nothing.” Ryeowook said, still red and playing with the sheets out of embarrassment.

 

“Nothing?”

 

“Yeah. Nothing. So there’s no reason for you to be jealous.”  He said, gaining his confidence back and beamed at Kyuhyun.

 

“Are you sure?” And of course, Kyuhyun will be testing him.

 

“You really think I’ll fall deeply in love with someone who’s been more than a real family to me? Well.. maybe.. but that’s in the past. You should know that I’m just sad because I thought hyung came here for me.”

 

“Oh. I know how you feel. Hangeng hyung isn’t a bad person but I hated him once before. Heechul hyung came here to visit me right.. and I thought he’ll stay by my side while he’s here but he spent almost the whole day with Hangeng hyung. And every time he’ll go here, he sees to it that he meets Hangeng hyung before he leaves. They’re best friends after all.” Kyuhyun said with a soft smile, but the smiles turned into a fit of laughter when Kyuhyun’s stomach growled, begging for food.

 

“What do you want to eat? I’ll cook for you.” Ryeowook volunteered and started to get up from the bed. Kyuhyun remembered the delicious breakfast he ate and he anticipated more of Ryeowook’s cooking.

 

“Anything. I bet everything you make is delicious. I’ll go with you.” Kyuhyun excitedly said and jumped out of the bed causing him to feel dizzy because of the sudden action.

 

“Kyuhyun! Be careful! Are you okay? Maybe you should just wait here.” The smaller shouted as he took a hold of the dizzy one’s shoulders.

 

“I’m fine.” He said with a wide grin. “Let’s go~ Kitchen. Kitchen!”

 

Ryeowook’s smile returned while watching Kyuhyun bounce like a little child. A precious sight indeed. Only for Ryeowook’s eyes.

 

 

 

“Cookies. Do you know how to make cookies?” Kyuhyun chirped by the island on the kitchen, fondly watching Ryeowook cook with his apron on.

 

“I will make you cookies after you eat this. Cookies won’t make you healthy.”

 

“You should eat too. You’re way too skinny. Let’s eat together.”

 

“Okay. So just behave there and wait for me.”

 

 

 

“Is it done?” Kyuhyun asked for the 4th time, making Ryeowook giggle again.

 

“Almost. Just a minute.”

 

“I’m hungry…”

 

“Here. It’s done. You should finish everything.” Ryeowook handed him the dish with a smile.

 

“Whoa. I know this! I ate this when I went to Japan. Umo Rice! Wow. You’re a good chef Cho Ryeowook. Great job.” Kyuhyun praised his chef as he took big bites of the rice wrapped in egg. Just like, rice omelet. Then Kyuhyun leaned closer to Ryeowook with a spoonful of the dish. “You should eat too.” And Ryeowook gladly accepted it.

 

“You should finish everything, Kyu.” The little chef said putting his apron back on.

 

“Where are you going?” Kyuhyun said while chewing that made the sound ruffled.

 

“Just here. I’m gonna bake your cookies.”

 

“Really?”

 

Kyuhyun finished everything served to him and Ryeowook wondered where all the food he eats goes to. And just like a kid, Kyuhyun watched in amazement as Ryeowook stir the dough for the cookies. To as why Kyuhyun is acting weird, Ryeowook blames it on the medicine the doctor gave him, and on the incident where he collapsed. He’s just thankful that Kyuhyun doesn’t remember anything and he’s okay. Right now, Ryeowook’s priority is to make Kyuhyun happy. For now he’ll just savor the moment where Kyuhyun’s acting all cute and childish.

 

When the oven’s bell rang. Kyuhyun instantly skipped beside Ryeowook and watched gluttonously as the little chef took the tray out.

 

“Yah. You just ate tons of food. Don’t tell me you’re gonna eat everything now?” Ryeowook teasingly said with a smile.

 

“I don’t mind eating everything. There’s a lot of space in here.” Kyuhyun said pointing to his flat stomach.

 

“At least leave some for the others..” Ryeowook tried to get half of the cookies but failed to do so when Kyuhyun pulled the tray away.

 

“These are mine.” The childish guy stated, busy stuffing the freshly baked cookies inside his mouth. Ryeowook just laughed at him.

 

“I think I need to bake more..”

 

“Hey! Cookies! Can I have some?!” Donghae hollered by the kitchen door and ran towards the table where Kyuhyun’s happily digging through everything.

 

“No they’re mi---“ Kyuhyun stopped as he choked on the cookies stuffed inside his mouth, and Ryeowook appeared by his sides, a glass of water on his hands.

 

“That’s what you get for being so selfish. These cookies are heavenly. Why not share them?” Heechul said, munching the said cookies. And even before Kyuhyun recovered from the life-taking choking incident, everyone already ate the cookies he left on the tray.

 

“But Wookie made that for me. You didn’t ask him, I asked him to make it, for me to eat. Why’d you finish everything?” Kyuhyun said, obviously frustrated and annoyed.

 

“Shhhh. It’s okay Kyu. I said I’ll make more right? This time I’ll make dozens of cookies, more than enough for everybody.” Ryeowook tried to calm the furious kid, but he can’t help but chuckle to Kyuhyun’s childishness.

 

“So cute right? You should treasure these moments. It’s not everyday that Kyuhyun’s acting all cute and sweet like that.” Sungmin whispered to Ryeowook and the younger nodded with a big smile on his face.

 

Sungmin helped Ryeowook prepare the cookies this time as Hyukjae and Donghae fought over what flavor of juice to make. Donghae wanted pineapple while Hyukjae wanted Manggo. In the end, they made orange juice. Heechul’s choice. Kyuhyun watched quietly this time and smiled at the two who are making cookies. They placed the trays inside that oven, and what caught Kyuhyun’s attention are the separate batch of cookies Ryeowook tried to hide when he placed them at the bottom part of the oven.

 

“Hey, what’s that? Are those special?” The childish guy asked, hoping that those cookies are for him.

 

“Uhm.. N-no.. they just won’t fit in the tray so I placed them on a separate one. Come on, let’s go to the living room first.” Ryeowook pulled Kyuhyun while the childish guy is busy peaking at the oven.

 

“We should watch a movie.” Heechul said.

 

“Let’s just wait for the cookies. Movies are no fun without snacks.” Hangeng spoke for the first time while playing Nintendo DS with Kyuhyun.

 

“Okay, I think it’s almost done. I’ll go get it.” Ryeowook ran towards the Kitchen.

 

They watched the movie while eating the cookies and chips that are stored in the kitchen. The movie Heechul picked is an interesting one, and since they all know how to speak English, it’s not a problem. All of their attentions are on the screen while Sherlock Holmes plan his attack seconds before the actual one. Kyuhyun, then snuggled up to Ryeowook and leaned his head on the other’s thigh. He already watched that movie three times, and he’s not at it for the fourth time, so instead, he decided to play with Ryeowook’s hand while the other is so absorbed by the movie. Ryeowook saw how bored Kyuhyun was, so he decided to give him his surprise.

 

Ryeowook took out something hidden behind him, and those are the special cookies Kyuhyun had his eyes on since earlier.

 

“Kyu, you want to eat?” Ryeowook whispered, then handed Kyuhyun 2 large pieces of cookies in a heart shape. Kyuhyun smiled from ear to ear as he received his special cookies, and his smiles could have turned wider that they already were when he read the notes written with chocolate syrup inside the heart shaped cookies.

 

“Really?” Kyuhyun asked, anticipation clearly on his voice as he whispered.

 

“Yeah.” Ryeowook said. “And I think… Cho.. Ryeowook… sounds really great.”

 

 What's written on the cookies?

규~   사랑해