part 01. the basics of us

stumbling down a winding road
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

part 01. the basics of us

 

March 14, 2007, 12:46 PM___
Kyunggi High School___

“How do I look? Charming enough? You think she’d fall for me instantly?”

Donghae adjusts his thick-rimmed glasses over his nose as he keeps his gaze on the novel in front of him, determined to finish this chapter before lunch break ends. He nibbles anxiously on his bottom lip, eyes scanning over every word hungrily. He needs to read quickly. It’s getting so tense and his toes are anxiously tapping against the worn insides of his rubber shoes as he worries for the main character. What happens next? Please, please, please don’t let them find out or else –

“Yah, Lee Donghae!”

A bony hand wedges itself in between the pages of Donghae’s book in a harsh slam. Donghae stares at the hand, lips pulled into a thin line as he slowly looks up to the intruder and glares. His eyes are met by an equally intimidating glare from a pair of single-lidded eyes. Puffy lips are pulled over teeth in an irritated snarl and Donghae scowls back as he stands up and launches at the guy, punching and hitting him everywhere.

“Lee Hyukjae, you ing ! How dare you interrupt my reading! Asswipe! Why don’t you just go kill yourself and rot in hell, you stupid waste of air!”

“Ow, ow! er! Donghae, not the hair! Not the hair! I ing styled that thing for two hours this morning!” Hyukjae yells, arms protectively crossed over his head as Donghae keeps on punching, hitting, clawing at literally every part he can reach, all the while cursing Hyukjae’s entire existence.

Hyukjae manages to grab both of Donghae’s wrists and he holds them in one hand as Donghae struggles to get free. He fails. Hyukjae is, after all, still stronger than Donghae.

“Jesus Christ, what are you, a Spartan?” Hyukjae gapes in disbelief at Donghae’s struggling form. “Did you really have to do that? Did you really have to hit me like some crazy person just because I tried to ask for your opinion?”

“Ask for my opinion, my ,” Donghae scowls at him. “You interrupted my reading! And I was on the best part too!”

“Because you were ignoring me!” Hyukjae glares. “I was asking you if I looked good enough for this afternoon and you don’t even lift your eyes from that damn book – what is it about all those novels anyway? Are they more important than me now?”

Donghae pauses in struggling, eyes softening as he stares at Hyukjae before tilting his head to the side innocently. “Oh, Hyukkie, did I make you feel that way?” And then his glare comes back in full force as he scoffs in annoyance and kicks Hyukjae’s shin, causing the latter to yelp and let go of Donghae’s hands to clutch pitifully at his leg.

“Of course they’re more important than you, you piece of , who do you think you are?” Donghae growls before sitting and going back to his book.

Hyukjae grimaces, pulling a nearby chair as he limps towards Donghae’s desk. Hyukjae sits near him, adjusting his tie and blazer in a futile attempt to make them look neatly ironed again. He sighs and gives up, placing his elbows on the corner of Donghae’s desk and leaning his chin on his hands.

“Now all my efforts to look good have gone to waste,” he mumbles lowly. “Thanks to you.”

“You’re welcome.” Donghae says without looking up from his pages.

Hyukjae narrows his eyes at him. “You’re really the bestest friend I could ever ask for. Why the hell are you in my life again?” he mutters sarcastically.

“’Cause you’re a baby and you can’t live without me.” Donghae answers easily, eyes still trained on the words.

“As if you can live without me,” Hyukjae sticks out his tongue and receives a glare. He shuts his mouth quickly and sighs resignedly. “Alright. Alright. You win. I’m sorry for disturbing your precious reading time. I know this is your most important, most treasured moment of the day and I oh-so-rudely interrupted it. I’m so sorry. Now can I please be forgiven and can my best friend give me his honest opinion now?”

Donghae quietly puts the book down, face stoic as he slowly faces Hyukjae. “Didn’t I already tell you my honest opinion a week ago?”

“Not that!” Hyukjae whines, hand scratching uselessly at the back of his head. “I was asking if I look good today! I styled my hair and even ironed my uniform on my own – though you ruined it – and I even tried that makeup thing Sungmin recommended. I prepared so much, and I already have the gifts ready in my locker. Teddy bear, chocolates, roses. All set. Do you think she’ll like me?”

Donghae exhales through his nose as he stares blankly at Hyukjae. “You think my honest opinion would change even if you undergo plastic surgery?”

“Donghae!”

“Shut up, stop whining!” Donghae lightly hits the side of Hyukjae’s head with his palm. “I told you this last week and I’m telling you again. Hyukjae, stop trying so hard. Her types are the likes of Jung Yunho or Choi Siwon. You have no chance.”

Hyukjae slumps down on the chair, pouting. “You’re so ing nice to me.”

“You love me for it,” Donghae hums, turning back to face his book. He stares at the words, not really absorbing them anymore as his mind becomes preoccupied with something else. He sighs, keeping his eyes on the pages. “If you’re going to like someone, go for a person who would accept you for you. Don’t try to change yourself for them. Like someone who would like you back without you putting any effort at all.” He scratches his nape, a slightly annoyed expression gracing his features. “I mean, I’m the one who would have to put up with all your pathetic whining after you get rejected or dumped. Do me a favor and don’t let me deal with your sorry when you get heartbroken again.”

Hyukjae smiles, knowing fully well that although Donghae appears to be complaining, he just really doesn’t want Hyukjae to get hurt. He exhales, stuffing his hands into his pockets as he leans back comfortably in his seat. “Glad to know you love taking care of me so much. If I get rejected this afternoon, I’m looking forward to eating jajangmyeon with you again next month on Black Day.”

Donghae glares at him from the corner of his eyes. “You’re dragging me with you again on your stupid single awareness day? This is the fourth year. Can you please not? I would rather just stay at home and watch anime, thank you very much.”

“What, you like jajangmyeon! And you’re single too! It’s just right that we celebrate Black Day together!” Hyukjae says, a frown gracing his lips.

Donghae pushes the bridge of his glasses back to place as he snorts. “I have better things to do than to be miserable with you, Lee Hyukjae.”

 

April 14, 2007, 8:06 PM___
Xiao Fuwu Restaurant___

“Another serving of jajangmyeon please!”

Hyukjae stares at his best friend, not knowing if he should laugh or be angry. He opts for the latter as he smacks Donghae’s arm.

“Ow!” Donghae looks up at him indignantly, mouth lined with black soybean sauce and glasses fogged up because of the steaming bowl he just ate. “The ’s your problem, Lee Hyukjae?”

“Look at you. ‘I have better things to do than to be miserable with you, Lee Hyukjae.’” Hyukjae does a poor imitation of Donghae and gets a punch on his arm in return. “Yah! You’re acting more miserable than I am! Three servings of jajangmyeon? How ing depressed are you?”

Donghae scoffs, proceeding to dig into his new bowl of steaming black noodles. He slurps down a clump from his chopsticks, sauce all over his mouth as he chews, not taking his narrowed eyes off his best friend. The moment he swallows, he scoffs again. “You wanna know how depressed I am? Well I’m here with you instead of at home watching anime. Do you have no idea how depressing my current predicament is?”

Hyukjae lands another smack on Donghae’s arm in annoyance. “You , I’m treating you and you tell me this is a depressing predicament? If anything, you’re eating a lot because it’s free food and you’re taking advantage! Where is your shame, Lee Donghae?”

“Left it at home, along with my wallet.”

Hyukjae punches him again lightly, a hint of a smile tugging on the black-lined corner of his lips.

Donghae doesn’t miss this as he points triumphantly at Hyukjae’s lips. “Aha! I saw that!” he grins, showing off his crooked teeth that are covered in black sauce. “You’re gonna laugh. I just know it. Heh, I knew you actually enjoy being my personal wallet.” He wriggles his eyebrows knowingly and with his mouth and teeth covered in black sauce, he’s so ridiculous-looking that Hyukjae cannot help but finally laugh out loud.

Hyukjae’s mouth isn’t any better, and so they laugh stupidly at each other’s faces, exchanging insults as they’ve always been doing since they can remember. They’re best friends and to be honest, Hyukjae thinks there isn’t anything better than this. I

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter