002

Can't Step Back

"Daehyun, how many times do I have to tell you not to bring strangers back? Don't you know how dangerous it is? He could reveal our location to someone!"

"But I can't just leave him out there to die!"

"We're a gang, Daehyun. Not a hospital. You can't go around picking up wounded kittens and bringing them back here."

"I won't ever let someone die right before my eyes ever again."

Their loud voices woke Youngjae, who was feeling sore all over. At first he was slightly confused as to where he was, but then remembered what happened before. He groaned when he tried to move and felt pain shoot through his body.

"He's awake." Daehyun said.

"You better be responsible for this guy."

"Don't worry, I will."

Youngjae waited until he heard a set of footsteps disappear, then he opened his eyes and looked around. It was an average sized room with all the furniture a normal house would have. There was a large window, but a curtain was blocking it, preventing Youngjae from seeing where he was. But he knew it was daylight, seeing how the sunlight poured into the room around the thick curtains.

"How are you feeling?"

The voice made Youngjae turn, and he saw the man who had saved him sitting by the table, looking at him with concern. Youngjae had thought that Daehyun would just leave him out in the rain, not caring if he died or not. It surprised him that the other young man had saved him and bandaged him up.

Was he really from B.A.P.?

"I'm... Okay..." Younjae said, trying his best to add shock and fear to his voice. He had to pretend to be shaken, as any normal citizen would. If he didn't, they would probably start to suspect him.

Daehyun's gave him a sympathetic look. "Are you still thinking about last night? Don't worry. You're safe here."

"But you're..."

"From a gang myself? I know." Daehyun sighed. "But I won't hurt you. I promise."

Youngjae was thrown into confusion. Why was the B.A.P. member being so gentle and kind? Shouldn't he be threatening him and trying to rob him? Or even use him as a hostage? Youngjae had already been shocked that he was still alive, but after hearing the soft words from the gangster, he was getting suspicious. There must be a reason behind it all.

"Are you thirsty?" Daehyun asked. "Hungry, maybe?"

"Um... Can I have some water please?"

"Sure."

Youngjae sat still on the bed as he watched Daehyun reach for a jug and poured a glass of water for him. Daehyun walked over to Youngjae slowly, as if showing that he was no threat. When he saw that Youngjae was eying the drink, he put it to his lips and took a gulp.

"It's not poisoned or anything." Daehyun told him.

Youngjae then took the glass gratefully and downed the whole thing quickly. "Thanks."

"No problem."

They sat in awkward silence for a while before Daehyun spoke again, fidgeting with the collar of his shirt. He almost looked more out of place than Youngjae did.

"So what were you doing there yesterday?" Daehyun asked. "It's dangerous to step on gang territory."

"It was an accident." Youngjae said. He couldn't tell Daehyun that he had been trying to see a member B.A.P.. He hadn't heard about the exchange in territory, resulting in him meeting the wrong people.

"I see. You should be more careful." Daehyun told him.

The door suddenly opened, saving Younjae from having to say anything else. In walked a dark haired man with a tray of food. He didn't look pleased when he saw Youngjae, but he didn't see anything. He merely walked to the table, put the tray down and stared at Daehyun.

"So? What do you plan to do with him?" the newcomer asked.

"Wait until he's healed, and then let him go home." Daehyun said. "Same as every other time."

"Every other time?" he asked. "Did you ever get the chance to let anyone go?"

"Well..."

"Every time you bring someone back, it turns out to be someone dangerous. Remember last time? It turned out to be a serial killer." the man said. "Don't you ever wonder why they were hurt in the first place? It's because they pick a fight with those other gangsters. That can't mean they're good people."

"I know, Himchan." Daehyun said. "But this time is different. He was getting beat up. It didn't look like he was dangerous."

"That's what you say every time." Himchan sighed.

"But this time I'm sure!"

"Do you think nobody would notice when he goes missing?" Himchan asked, pointing at Youngjae. "What if the police get involved?"

"Oh..." Daehyun looked guilty and extremely sorry. He hadn't intentionally put their safety in jeopardy.

"I live alone."

Daehyun and Himchan looked at Youngjae, surprised that he had spoken up. Youngjae didn't know the reason either, but he just didn't want to see that expression on Daehyun's face. It was probably because he didn't want his savior to get in trouble.

"Nobody will notice that I'm gone." Youngjae continued.

"And why is that?" Himchan asked, narrowing his eyes in suspicion.

"I just moved here. I have no family left." Youngjae lied. He added a depression tone to his voice to make it more believable. Himchan bought it.

He coughed awkwardly. "I'll...Uh... Just leave the food here then."

Daehyun and Youngjae watched silently as Himchan walked away. Then Daehyun picked up the tray of food and brought it over to Youngjae.

"You must be hungry."

Youngjae hesitated as he looked at the food.

"Do you want me to take a bite first?" Daehyun asked. He picked up the a piece of food and popped it into his mouth. He handed the chopsticks back to Youngjae.

"Thanks."

Just as Youngjae began to eat, two heads poked around the corner. They looked late in their teens and both had curious expressions.

"Is he the one you saved?" the taller of the two asked.

"Yeah. What are you doing here, Junhong?" Daehyun asked.

"Hey, call me Zelo when there are strangers here." Zelo said. "We wanted to see who it is."

"Yongguk isn't going to be happy if he finds you two here." Daehyun told the two.

"It's okay." the other teen said.

"You know how he gets, Jongup." Daehyun reminded him.

"But we want to know what goes around here too!" Jongup told him. Through the whole time, the smile on his lips never faltered.

"I know, but--"

"Junhong. Jongup. What are you two doing here?" a new, deep voice asked.

"Uh... W-We were passing to go to the kitchen!" Zelo said, then grabbed Jongup's arm before running away.

"Are you here to see the new face too, Yongguk?" Daehyun asked.

"Yeah. Where is he?"

A man stepped into the room. The first impression Youngjae got of him was that he was for sure a gangster. From the hair to the dangerous eyes. It was no surprise that he was the leader.

"What's your name?" the leader of B.A.P. asked.

"Y-Youngjae..."

"How are you feeling?"

"I'm feeling much better. Thank you for helping me." Youngjae told him.

"Get well soon and leave." Yongguk told him. "You don't belong here."

"Yongguk, you're making him uncomfortable." Daehyun said.

"I'll leave him to you then. Since he's staying in your room, be careful."

With that, Yongguk left the room, and Youngjae was left alone with Daehyun again. Youngjae looked at the other boy and received an apologetic smile.

"Sorry. They're actually really nice people. Just under a lot of stress." Daehyun told her.

"I'm sure they are." Youngjae said uncertainly.

Youngjae's eyes wandered to the covered window. He was surprised to see that there was a scarlet glow around it now. He must have woken in the late afternoon, and night was beginning. Nothing escaped Daehyun's sharp eyes as he immediately noticed.

"Sorry, but I have to keep the curtains closed so you don't know where we are." Daehyun told him. "It's for safety reasons."

"I understand."

Daehyun tilted his head slightly. "You seem awfully calm for someone who just got into a fight with gangsters. Not to mention that you're in the same building as another gang."

"I... Well, I think there's no need to be worried. It'll be the same outcome anyway." Youngjae said, quickly making up a lie.

"Hm... That's an interesting way you think." Daehyun said, his eyes never leaving Youngjae's face.

"I guess you can call it optimistic?" Youngjae suggested with a smile.

Daehyun smiled back. "Maybe."

Youngjae sat in silence as he ate, keeping his eyes on his food to avoid any awkward moments with Daehyun. He heard the other yawn several times. About fifteen minutes later after he finished his rather tasty meal, he looked up and found that Daehyun had fallen asleep with his arms cushioning his head on the table.

Youngjae quietly set the tray and bowls aside, then stood up. He was about to walk towards the man when he saw Himchan in the corners on his eyes. The other man was staring intently at Youngjae, watching his every move.

"What are you doing?"

"Um..."

"Don't disturb him. He was up all night treating your wounds." Himchan told him.

"I'm thankful."

"You should be. Sometimes I think this kid's heart is too soft for his own good. He's doomed to be betrayed sooner or later." Himchan sighed again.

Youngjae hid his nervousness. Himchan couldn't possibly be hinting anything to him right?

"Are you going to sleep?" Himchan asked. "I would move Daehyun somewhere else, but I don't want to wake him. I'll watch here 'til morning."

Youngjae understood what Himchan meant and obediently crawled into bed, turning to face the wall so he wouldn't see Himchan's eyes on him. Compared to Daehyun, Himchan seemed like much more of a threat to him. If he wasn't careful, he was sure either Himchan's or Yongguk's sharp eyes would bust him.

He couldn't afford to fail. Not when his brother's life was on the line too.

As he lied there, Youngjae went through what had happened that day through his head. He was still surprised at how a bunch of late teens and young men had managed to make such a big name for themselves. Were they really that dangerous? How could only five of them beat so many other gangs?

Youngjae was still confused as exhaustion washed over him. He yawned, then closed his eyes and welcomed sleep.