005

Can't Step Back

Youngjae tried to keep his breathing and footsteps as quiet as possible while he peeked through the doors. He could hear gun fire faintly through the walls. The others must have ran into more ambushes. Youngjae didn't meet any yet, and he could only hope that he won't any time soon. Unlikely, but he could still hope.

Then a door at the end of the hallway caught his attention. Instead of like the other doors that were on the walls next to him, this one was facing him. It was the door at the very end of the hallway. The one that screamed at him to be opened. Youngjae narrowed his eyes and approached it, his hand firmly holding a gun.

The door fit perfectly into its frame, not a single gap was visible. It seemed as if someone had purposely sealed it that way. If it were to be closed completely, no oxygen would be able to get through. On the top of the door was a small opening about the size of two books side by side. Youngjae carefully walked toward it and peeked inside.

He barely managed to jerk his head back in time before a bullet flew at him.

The door flew open and three men stormed through, each holding a gun. Youngjae shoved open the closest door to him and ran inside. When the men followed to get to him, he fired the gun and took them all down. He hadn't killed any of them, and they curled up pain from the bullet wounds in their legs.Youngjae struck them on the side of their neck, knocking them out. Then he quickly found some rope and tied them up before closing the door behind him and leaving the room.

That was too close. Youngjae thought.

He went to check on in the room one last time, in case there was a secret passage. His eyes widened. What he found inside was not something he had been expecting.

Inside, tied to a chair, was a young man who's head was hanging limply in front of his chest. Despite the lack of lighting inside the small room, Youngjae could see that his clothes were soaked in blood. Even with his little knowledge of medicine, he knew Daehyun wouldn't survive past sunrise like that.

"Daehyun!" Youngjae called quietly as he hurried into the room.

Daehyun lifted his head with difficulty when he heard his name. When he saw Youngjae, a panicked look spread across his face. "Don't! It's--!"

SLAM.

Surprised, Youngjae looked back at the door he had just entered through, only to find that it had been closed. A man looked in on them through the opening with a unsatisfied look on his face.

"Tsk. I was hoping for Yongguk. Instead I got a little rat." the man muttered.

Youngjae picked up his gun and fired it at him. The man easily dodged it.

"A kid like you shouldn't be playing with such dangerous toys." he told Youngjae with a smirk. "You better hope Yongguk gets here quickly. Before your air runs out."

With that, he shut the only window leading to the room before Youngjae could protest. He heard a click as a latch was put in place. Youngjae ran up, trying to pry it open even though he knew it was useless.

"Dammit." he mumbled. "Open up!"

After a few more moments of struggling, Youngjae gave up. He tried to find Daehyun in the darkness and he almost stumbled over his foot. Youngjae felt around until he found the knot of the rope and tried his best to untie it. It seemed that the gangsters hadn't even bothered to make a decent knot, as it easily came apart. Youngjae carefully helped Daehyun stand up and gently laid him on the ground.

"You can use my lap as a pillow if you want." Youngjae told the other locked in the same room as him. "The ground is really hard."

"Thanks." Daehyun said quietly.

Youngjae felt a slightly weight land on his legs.

"Are you okay?" Youngjae asked. Stupid question.

"I guess." Daehyun said with a light chuckle. "Sorry I got you mixed up in this mess."

"No, it's my fault. I'm the reason why you even got targeted." Youngjae told him guiltily. "If I wasn't caught by those gangsters that day, you wouldn't have beat them up. If you didn't beat them up, then they wouldn't have done this to you."

"How do you know that?"

"I heard them talking."

"Oh."

Moments of silence went by. Youngjae was surprised Daehyun could still talk that much.

"Hey, Youngjae..."

"Yeah?"

"Where did you learn how to use a gun?"

"Um..."

"If it's something you don't want to talk about... That's okay. I'll wait." Daehyun said quietly.

You'll wait? Wait until when? I won't be staying long enough for you to know. Youngjae thought. He didn't know why, but he felt disappointed.

Daehyun seemed to read his mind. "Even if it takes years, I'm willing to wait for it."

Why? Youngjae wanted to ask. Why? After all the trouble I made you go through? You don't even know me. Why are you willing to trust me?

"Every one has things they want to hide." Daehyun said. "Things... They want to erase from their past."

"Do you?" Youngjae asked.

"Of course."

Youngjae just stopped there. After Daehyun didn't press him for an answer, he didn't want to pressure the other boy either. Youngjae suddenly realized that Daehyun was shaking.

"Are you okay?" Youngjae asked.

"I'm fine."

"Why are you shaking then?"

"I'm not."

"Don't lie. I can feel it."

"It's nothing. Don't worry about it." Daehyun told him.

"How can this be fine?"

"It's just... I'm afraid of the dark." Daehyun confessed. His tone sounded embarrassed.

"Huh?"

"N-Nothing."

"The dark? Really? I didn't expect that..." Youngjae said. He found it kind of cute.

"Brings up bad memories." said Daehyun.

"I see... Can you take your head off my legs for a minute?"

"Sure."

Once Youngjae felt the weight on his legs disappear, he lied down on the ground. He patted around him gently until he came in contact with Daehyun's body, then shifted closer.

"Wh--?"

"You said you're afraid of the dark, right?" Youngjae asked. "I used to be too, and it was because I was afraid to be alone. But you don't have to be. I'm here with you. You protected me last time. I'll protect you this time."

Youngjae could sense Daehyun's hesitation at first, but then it melted away and he scooted closer until the two of them were pressed together. Youngjae felt his arms wrap around him tightly. That was probably what Himchan had meant when he said koala hug.

"Thanks." Daehyun told him. His shaking had stopped.

"You're welcome."

The two of them stayed together on the floor. Slowly, Youngjae found it harder to breath. With no fresh air, their supply of oxygen was running out. That was not worried Youngjae the most, as Daehyun was also slowly getting colder. The other man seemed to have fallen asleep since he stopped talking and was breathing evenly. Youngjae had to hug him closer to help keep him warm.

I hope the others find us soon. Youngjae thought. I don't think we have much time left.

After what felt like hours, the door still remained closed. Youngjae could hardly breath anymore and he was beginning to lose hope.

I can't believe I'm just going to die here. Youngjae thought. I'm not going to get the money. My brother's going to die... And it's all because of a gangster.

Youngjae brushed his hand through Daehyun's hair. He didn't understand. After all those years of learning how to suppress his feelings, he couldn't seem to do it when it came to Daehyun. Because he had trained himself to hide his feelings, he couldn't tell what he was feeling. The warm feeling in his chest when he sees Daehyun smile... What was it? Why had he been willing to come into this dangerous situation to get Daehyun out? He could have just left it to the other B.A.P. members, yet he had voluntarily come in himself. Why?

He was suddenly cut snapped out of his thoughts when bright light poured into the dark room, blinding Youngjae for a few seconds. After all those hours in the dark, even light from a lamp would hurt his eyes. But it felt good to get fresh air in his lungs.

"They're in here!" he heard someone yell.

"Get them out."

"They don't look too good."

Youngjae felt someone pry Daehyun away from him, and he squinted to see who it was. Himchan and Jongup. Jongup gently helped Himchan get Daehyun onto his shoulders. Before he could speak, he felt someone help him sit up. Youngjae saw that the strong grip belonged to none other than Yongguk.

"You did well." Yongguk told him in his low voice.

"I didn't do much." Youngjae said."I got locked in there too."

"But you stayed with Daehyun. He wouldn't have made it if you weren't here. And you were the one who found out where they took him."

"It's the least I can do."

"Can you walk? We should get out of here."

"What about the gang?" Youngjae asked.

"We took care of them. They bit off more than they could chew when they picked a fight with us. Let's go."

The six of them hurried out from the building, Himchan piggy-backing Daehyun and Yongguk had Youngjae's arm around his shoulders. They took a back route to go through instead of out in the open on street. Youngjae noticed that they had not blind folded him. He wondered why, but he didn't want to waste his chance of finding out B.A.P.'s hideout.

As much as he went through, he was still an agent.

As they led him through several alleys, he did his best to memorize the route. It was easier than he predicted, since they were going pretty slowly due to injuries. The sun had long set and the moon was hanging high in the sky. Youngjae wondered how long he had been inside for.

After what felt almost like an hour, they finally entered a building. Youngjae made sure to capture a mental picture of the place so he didn't forget. The walked up a few flights of stairs and finally stopped outside a large door. Zelo quickly fished out the keys from his pockets and stuck them into the keyhole.

Youngjae noticed Jongup staring at him.

"Is it okay for him not to be blindfolded?" Jongup asked.

"Let's talk about this later." Yongguk told him. The younger one nodded and they all headed inside.

"Line up according to injuries." Himchan said. "I'll go get the first-aid kit. I'll be back after I treat Daehyun."

He looked around the room as he surveyed the rest of the members for their wounds. Once his eyes landed on Youngjae, he hesitated.

"Youngjae. Can you come help me again? You're the only one who doesn't have fresh wounds." Himchan asked him.

"Of course." Youngjae said.

He followed Himchan into his room. Once they were inside, Youngjae helped the older man get Daehyun off his back and onto the bed.

"Doesn't he need to go to the hospital?" Youngjae asked.

"I'm going to call a special doctor over." Himchan told him. "It's too dangerous to go to the hospital."

"Special doctor?"

"Yeah. We can trust him."

"Oh. Okay."

Youngjae waited silently as Himchan talked on the phone with the doctor he was calling. He wasn't paying attention to the phone call though, as his eyes were glued to the boy on the bed.

It's all because of me. Youngjae though regretfully. If I didn't step in the wrong area, he wouldn't be like this...

Then he jerked. Why was he thinking that way? He shouldn't care about a gangster. It would be better if they all died. Yet... Why was he worried about him? Why did he feel guilty that he got hurt?

"Youngjae?"

Youngjae flinched when he heard Himchan's voice.

"Are you okay? Are you in shock?" It was the gentlest voice Himchan had used on him, and Youngjae was surprised. The other man's voice was usually hard and guarded, but now it almost sounded like a caring mother.

"No. I'm fine."

"Are you sure? Maybe you should go lie down."

"I'm fine. I should help since it's all my fault."

"Youngjae, it's not your fault. The other gangs were just looking for an excuse to attack us. Today was just a coincidence." Himchan said. "Don't blame yourself."

"..." Youngjae's eyes flickered to Daehyun again, and Himchan caught it.

"Maybe you should go sit outside. I don't think seeing Daehyunnie like this will help you feel better."

"Okay."

Youngjae walked out of the room and back to the place where the other B.A.P. members were sitting. Nobody was paying attention to him as the two youngest ones talked amongst themselves and Yongguk was staring at the wall. Youngjae took the only seat available, which was next to the gang leader.

"You okay?" Yongguk asked.

"Yeah."

"Are you sure? You look pale."

"I'm sure. What about you?"

"Not bad. I'll be fine." Yongguk told him. "I'm just glad we got Daehyun back."

"Sorry for getting you guys in trouble." Youngjae said.

"It's not your fault."

"But..."

"You shouldn't let these things trouble you. You'll collapse under the weight of guilt if you do." said the B.A.P. leader. "Why don't you go take a nap? It's been a long day. I'm sure the lack of oxygen won't help you feel less tired."

"Okay." Youngjae sighed as all the exhaustion came on at once. Suddenly, he could hardly keep this eyes open.

Yongguk chuckled. "Seems like this gang life isn't for you after all."

"Maybe not." Youngjae smiled tiredly.

"Go sleep. We'll make sure you're safe."

"Thanks."

Youngjae walked to Daehyun's bedroom where he flopped onto the bed. His head barely hit the pillow when he fell asleep.