008

Can't Step Back

Youngjae yawned as he pushed the mop around on the ground. He had spilled juice on the ground earlier, and he was hurrying to clean it up before someone else saw. Especially Himchan. However, there was no rush as only Daehyun was with him at the moment, and he was sound asleep in his room. Youngjae looked at the clock, then sighed. Maybe it wasn't such a good idea to get a midnight snack after all.

He was just about done when he accidentally bumped into the table and caused the mug to wobbled, threatening to crash to the ground. Youngjae quickly lunged for it before it could topple over. After steadying it, he turned back for his mop, but his breath caught in his throat when he felt something hard and cold against his forehead. Youngjae hadn't any lights earlier because he was afraid to disturb Daehyun, but now he regretted it. It was dark with only the moonlight shining in through the window as a source of light, so Youngjae couldn't see what the danger was in front of him. But he didn't need to see to know that it was a gun. Youngjae was wondering what to do when a familiar voice spoke up.

"Who are you? What are you doing here?" Youngjae blinked, surprised. Daehyun? "Speak up."

"D-Daehyun?"

The lights were suddenly flipped on, momentarily blinding Youngjae. Daehyun moved fast. He was in front of his one second, then by the door at the light switch, and then back in front of him before Youngjae could even react. Once Youngjae's eyes adjusted to the brightness, he saw Daehyun's guilty and panicked expression before him.

"Youngjae? Are you okay? I'm so sorry! I thought you were someone else!" Daehyun told him. "Did I hurt you?"

"No, you didn't. I was just surprised. And don't worry about it, I don't blame you. It was my fault for walking around at night." Youngjae said. He saw Daehyun's messy bed hair and his heart did a somersault. 

"Uh..." Youngjae was momentarily distracted, but quickly caught himself. "Yes! I'm fine."

"Are you sure?" Daehyun asked, suspicious.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"Do you want to talk about anything? You're still acting weird."

"No, I'm fine."

"Okay... Well, I guess I'll help you clean up." Daehyun said, then reached for the mop.

"No, I'll do it! I was the one who spilled it!" Youngjae told him, running over and trying to get there before the older boy. However, the ground was slippery where Youngjae's juice had spilled and he lost his footing, heading for the ground. Daehyun's lightning fast reflexes caught him before he did a face plant, but he just dragged him down with him instead of being stopped. In the end, the two were tangled up on the ground with each other.

Daehyun pushed himself up onto his elbows as looked down at Youngjae. "Are you okay?"

Youngjae froze as his face was bright red as he stared up at the boy on top of him. He couldn't take his eyes off his deep brown orbs, or the way his lips were slightly parted as he waited for an answer. "Uh... Y-Y-Yeah."

The two of them just stayed in their frozen position for a few seconds, but jerked when the door suddenly opened and a figure walked in. When he saw the two on the floor, he stiffened and began backing out.

"Um..." Himchan said. "Am I interrupting something?"

"No!" the two younger boys yelled at the same time.

"Whao. Calm down. It's only natural I ask when I see you two like this." Himchan chuckled.

"We just slipped." Daehyun told him with flushed cheeks. "I'm going back to bed."

"Okay." Himchan and Youngjae watched until Daehyun was out of sight. Then Youngjae tried to slip away too, but Himchan stopped him by calling his name.

"Yeah?"

"Can I talk with you?"

"Um... Okay..."

Himchan led the way to the table and sat down, gesturing for Youngjae to take a seat across from him. Youngjae hesitantly took a seat and looked at Himchan for him to continue. There were a few minutes of silence, but the older of the two eventually spoke up.

"So... What was that all about?" Himchan asked.

"It's like Daehyun said. We just slipped, that's all." Youngjae told him, his calmness surprising himself.

"I see. So... Why is your face so red?" Youngjae's hand instantly flew up to his face and felt it heat up. Himchan chuckled at his response. "I'm just joking with you. But... You do seem pretty flustered."

"Uh..."

"How do you feel about Daehyunnie?"

"W-What?"

"Daehyun. How do you feel about him?" Himchan repeated.

"Um... I... He's..."

"Do you have feelings for him?" Himchan went straight to the point.

Youngjae felt his eyes pop and mouth drop open. He thought he heard a noise from Daehyun's room, but it was probably just his imagination. "What?!"

"I'm just wondering. I've been watching how you act weird around Daehyunnie." Himchan said.

"I... I don't know." Youngjae told him truthfully.

"Do you get a weird feeling around him?"

"...Yes."

"Butterflies in your stomach?"

"Maybe."

"Have you ever thought that maybe you're--"

"Wait!" Youngjae held up his hands. "I-Isn't this going a bit fast? I barely even know him."

"Going to fast for what? I was going to say idolizing him for saving you." Himchan said with a sly grin. "What did you think I was going to say?"

Youngjae felt his face turn a scarlet red. He wanted to just jump out the window. Yes, that seemed like a good choice.

"I'm just playing with you." Himchan chuckled. "But seriously. Maybe you should get your feelings sorted out."

"I don't even know how. It just came on suddenly." Youngjae told him.

"How sudden?"

"I guess when he was taken by the gang." Youngjae said.

"Hmm... You two were locked together in that little room, right?"

Youngjae nodded.

"Maybe it's because you saw his vulnerable side. Maybe you just saw him as a coldhearted gangsters before, but when you saw his soft side, you thought of him as more... Normal?" Himchan shrugged. "That's the only explanation I can think of."

Youngjae thought about it for a while. What Himchan said was true. Before, he had simply judged Daehyun as a gangster without looking inside. But after that kidnapping incident, he had seen that Daehyun had fears and feelings like him too. Especially after he had told him the real reason B.A.P. was formed. It was suddenly so much easier to understand him. As if the wall between them had shattered during those few minutes locked up together with each other. Is that why his feelings suddenly surfaced too? But how did he even develop feelings for the gangster in the first place?

"I see that you're still confused." Himchan said. "Well, that's understandable."

"Sorry..." said Youngjae. "I've never had this happen to me before."

"You don't have to apologize." Himchan told him. Then he stood up and ruffled the younger boy's hair. "I'm going to be. Be sure to get some rest."

"Okay. Good night."

"Good night."

Soon, Youngjae was left alone, still confused. He wasn't sure what to do. Maybe he should pry deeper into Daehyun's past so that he would find something dark. Something so dark that they would stop his feelings and maybe even reverse them. Then he wouldn't have to worry about falling in love with his enemy. That sounded like a good idea to him. He couldn't risk the success of this mission.

Youngjae got up from his chair and walked towards the bedroom he shared with Daehyun. He peeked inside and saw Daehyun absentmindedly rubbing his head as he stared out the window at the night sky. Youngjae was glad that he wasn't asleep yet. It was his best chance to talk to Daehyun; when most of the gang was out.

"Daehyun?"

The called one jerked in his seat and looked over. "Yeah?"

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah... I'm fine."

"Is it because of the dark again?" Youngjae asked.

Daehyun hesitated. "Yeah."

"Why are you scared of the dark anyway? I didn't expect tough gangsters to be afraid of the dark."

"It's a long story."

Youngjae shrugged. "It takes me a long time to fall asleep. And I like stories."

Daehyun looked unsure as he wondered if he should share a piece of his past. Then he sighed. "Okay."

"You don't like the dark right? Come lie down with me." Youngjae told him. He regretted it as soon as it left his mouth. He should be distancing himself from Daehyun, not getting closer! But his lips wouldn't let him take back what he said.

Slowly, Daehyun walked over to him and sat lied down. He was silent for several minutes before he started speaking. "Where should I start?"

"From the beginning?"

"Well... I... I guess you can say that I was an accidental child. My parents didn't want me. They preferred my brother over me any time. The only reason they didn't throw me out earlier was because my grandparents promised to give them five thousand dollars every month for every child they have."

Youngjae stiffened. This isn't where he had planned for the story to go towards. He shouldn't be feeling sympathy for him. No. This isn't good. If he kept listening, his feelings will only grow, not disappear. But once again, his tongue didn't want to match what was in his mind.

"So my parents just locked me up in the basement everyday. There was only a small window, and that was my only source of light." Daehyun continued. "At night, it got really dark. That's why I began fearing it. I ran away when I finally managed to break the window after several years."

"Oh..." was all Youngjae could say.

"I guess it's not really the dark." Daehyun chuckled. "It's more like I'm afraid to be alone. The dark reminds me of the basement."

"But darkness doesn't have to mean being alone." Youngjae said.

"I guess it doesn't."

"So if you're not alone, then you're not afraid?"

"I haven't really tried it yet." Daehyun said. "The others don't bring it up because they're afraid of me being sensitive about it."

"Oh. Is it a sensitive topic? I'm sorry for talking about it!"

Daehyun chuckled again. "It's fine."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah." said Daehyun. "Are you sleepy yet?"

As soon as Daehyun asked, Youngjae felt himself yawn. "Kind of."

"You should go to sleep then."

"What about you?"

"I'll fall asleep sooner or later."

"Do you want me to stay up with you?"

"No, I'll be fine." Daehyun said. He wrapped his hands around Youngjae's. "As long as I'm not alone, I'll be fine."

"Okay."

That night, Youngjae fell asleep to the warmth of Daehyun's hand around his own. It was a comforting feeling. He knew that it was wrong, but he didn't want to pull away.