006

Can't Step Back

"He can't."

"What do you think, Himchan?"

"I think we can trust him after how he helped us."

"That's not the point! We can't get him involved in this mess!"

"He's already part of it, whether he likes it or not."

"That doesn't mean we have to push him further in!"

"Calm down, Daehyunnie. We can protect him."

"How can you be so sure? When it comes down to gang business, nobody can be sure!"

"Seriously, Dae. If you don't calm down, your wounds are going to open again."

"We can't let him stay!"

"Why do you care so much about him anyway?"

"Because I'm helping him choose the path I would have chosen if I was given a chance."

"I'm sure he can choose for himself. He's old enough."

"He doesn't know everything."

Youngjae just sat awkwardly as he listened to the five B.A.P. members arguing in the next room. It had been four days since they returned after the fight with a rival gang, and things got pretty chaotic after the gang members were almost healed. They were deciding whether to add Youngjae to their ranks or not.

I'm glad that I can at least stay with them a little longer. Any information will help. Youngjae thought. As long as I can get the money, it'll all be okay.

A pang of guilt struck Youngjae. To say the truth, he didn't want to betray these specific gangsters. They had been so kind to him, giving him shelter and food without asking for anything in return, yet he was going to sell them out to the police. These nice people were going to be thrown in jail because of him.

Youngjae shook the thought from his head. No. I can't feel sympathy for gangsters. They cause all sorts of trouble and don't think about others. They don't deserve sympathy.

Suddenly, Daehyun appeared at the doorway. Almost his whole body was covered with bandages, and anyone could easily mistaken him for a walking mummy. He had a serious expression on his face, which was unlike him, and it made Youngjae feel uneasy.

"Youngjae. Come with me. We need to talk." he told the younger boy.

"Okay."

Youngjae just followed him silently out of the apartment. Daehyun didn't look back at him as he kept walking forward. Youngjae wanted to ask what they were going to talk about, but he didn't know how to start. He also wanted tell Daehyun that he shouldn't go out on the streets because he was still injured and wrapped up, but he thought that it wouldn't be such a good idea.

After a while of walking, Youngjae realized that Daehyun wasn't taking him out on the streets. They actually arrived at a park instead. It was still early, so there was nobody there. Daehyun slowed down for Youngjae to catch up beside him. The two slowly strolled along the walkway, not saying anything to each other for the first few minutes.

"Youngjae." Daehyun said, breaking the silence.

"Yeah?"

"If the others ask you to join our gang, what would you say?"

"Um... Yes, I guess."

Daehyun turned towards him sharply. His eyes were hard and furious. "This isn't a game."

"I know it isn't."

"If you do, then you wouldn't say yes." Daehyun told him.

"Why?"

"If you live your life as a gangster, you're life is always on the line. I don't know if you're used to the try again in video games, but in real life, there is no try again. You only have one chance. One shot at what you want." Daehyun said. "You can't just throw it away so easily."

But I already have when I took on my job. Youngjae thought.

"But I already got involved with the gangs." Youngjae said out loud. "It's already too late to step back."

"No, it's not. It's never too late. If you don't try, then you won't know."

"Why are you so set on getting me away from here? Do you hate me or something?" Youngjae asked.

"No, I'm telling you this because I don't hate you. If I hate you, then I would just let you join. You'll be killed soon anyway."

"If you put it like that, then why are you in B.A.P.? If you hate being in a gang so much, then why are you in one?"

"It's not like I want to be in one. You don't know how difficult life is." Daehyun told him. "I'm only in this because I have to be."

I'm on the same boat as you.

"What do you mean?" Youngjae asked. He wanted to get information out of B.A.P.... But he felt as if he wanted to know himself as well.

"The reason we're here... We were all orphans, left on the streets to die. But one man took us in. He was a gangster, yet he was willing to look after us. The first taken in was Yongguk, then it was me, then Jongup, Himchan and then Zelo. The five of us basically grew up together. Then..."

Youngjae stiffened when Daehyun paused. It didn't sound it it ended happily.

"Then he got taken." Daehyun finished. "The other gang took him five years ago."

"Took him? Why?"

"They thought he was a threat, so they ambushed him and took him. They demanded ten million dollars." Daehyun said.

"Ten million..."

"That's why we've been stirring up so much trouble. We need that money." Daehyun told him sadly. "We have no other choice."

Youngjae suddenly felt lightheaded. The infamous gang was started for someone else? Their goal after stealing all that money... Was for someone else? They were a gang, and they were suppose to be heartless and cruel. Why were they motivated to save someone else? Aren't they the selfish monsters others say they are?

Daehyun must have seen the expression on Youngjae's face, because a worried look appeared on his face.

"Youngjae? Are you okay?"

"I... I'm fine."

"Are you sure? You're awfully pale."

"I'm fine. This is just a lot to take in." Youngjae told him.

"Sorry. Did I dump too much on you at once?"

"Y-Yeah... Kind of."

"Sorry."

"You don't have to apologize."

The two remained silent for awhile, neither knew what to say. Youngjae was still trying to process his thoughts. So gangsters aren't what he thought they were? They aren't bloodthirsty monsters? Then what was he doing? Why was he trying to get warmhearted people thrown in jail?

All the questions swimming through his head made him dizzy, and Daehyun saw it. He became worried that he was the reason why Youngjae was suddenly acting weird.

"Youngjae? Are you sure you don't want to lie down?"

"I think I will..."

"You can use my lap."

Youngjae felt his cheeks turn red. "W-What?"

"You can use my lap as a pillow." Daehyun repeated. "Is that weird?"

"Um..."

"You don't have to if you don't want to." Daehyun told him. "I didn't mean to sound weird. It's just that I grew up with so many other kids. I'm used to doing things like this..."

"And I'm not used to it, but I think it would be good to get used to it though." Youngjae said with a smile. Daehyun returned it, and Youngjae lied down on the bench they had sat down on, and laid his head on Daehyun's lap. Though he had said that he wasn't used to this type of physical contact with strangers, he felt comfortable.

"So... What are you going to say when the others ask you to join?" Daehyun asked.

"I... I don't know." Youngjae said truthfully. "What do you think?"

"It's your decision in the end." Daehyun told him. "What do you want to do?"

"I still don't know."

"Do you want to go or do you want to stay?" Daehyun asked.

"..."

"I guess the answers is that you don't know again?"

Youngjae nodded.

Daehyun let out a soft chuckle. "Even though I've been warning you to leave and all, I feel like I'm going to miss you if you do."

"Why?" Youngjae asked, surprised.

"You noticed that we currently have five people right? An odd number."

Youngjae nodded again.

"Well, since we grew up together, we all got very close, but there are... I guess you can call pairings, in our group that are especially close." Daehyun said. "Yongguk and Himchan, and Zelo and Jongup. Sometimes I get a little lonely."

"Oh."

"Sorry. I must have weirded you out again." Daehyun said. "Ignore what I said."

"It's not weird. It's normal." Youngjae told him.

"Is it?" Daehyun laughed quietly.

"Of course."

Daehyun fell silent after that, and Youngjae had the chance to think. He honestly didn't know what to do. Of course he would accept the offer to join B.A.P. to get more information from them, but what would he do after that? Report them and have them arrested? Or risk having his brother die? Youngjae was so frustrated he could rip out his hair, but he kept a calm face around Daehyun.

"It's been a while since we came out. The others will start worrying. We should head back." Daehyun said after a while.

"Okay."

The two walked back silently. Youngjae memorized the route they took in case it comes in handy later. When they walked through the door to their apartment suite, they were greeted with Himchan's worried face.

"You two are finally back! I thought you got into trouble again!" Himchan sighed. "Where were you?"

"In the park." Daehyun said.

"What were you doing in the park?" Himchan asked, raising an eyebrow.

"Talking."

"Is that all?"

"Yeah."

"Okay." Himchan shrugged. "None of my business."

"Youngjae." Yongguk's low voice said. "We need to talk to you."

"About what?"

"We've seen your abilities. From what we found of your history, you seem to be a very smart kid. We need someone with good brains to keep us out of trouble." Yongguk said slowly. "And after much debate, we've decided to ask you to join our gang. What do you say?"

Youngjae hesitated. He remembered Daehyun's warning. It wasn't that he was afraid of dying, it was more that he was afraid to disappoint Daehyun. He could feel the other man's gaze on him as he though it over.

"It would be an honour to join." Youngjae said politely in the end.

Yongguk grinned. "Welcome to our family."

"I should make some good food tonight to celebrate." Himchan said to himself.

"Yay! A new member!" Zelo shouted as he ran into the room. Jongup followed, smiling happily.

After having the members, excluding Daehyun, welcome him, they all dispersed again to go back to what they had been doing. Youngjae looked around for Daehyun. When he found him nowhere in sight, he walked towards his room. He peeked in and saw Daehyun sitting on his bed. Daehyun noticed Youngjae's presence and looked up, smiling faintly, then waving him over. Youngjae walked over obediently.

"Sorry. I didn't take your warning." Youngjae told him.

"It's okay. Like I said, it's your decision in the end. You know what's best for you." Daehyun said.

"Well, I guess we can look at the bright side, right?"

Daehyun tilted his head. "What do you mean?"

"From now on, you won't ever be lonely again." Youngjae said with a grin.

Daehyun chuckled. "I guess."

"I'll do my best to keep out of trouble." Youngjae told him. "You don't have to worry about me."

"Oh, I do." Daehyun said. "You just joined and you already caused two fights."

"That wasn't on purpose."

"Unintentional ones are even worse." Daehyun .

"Then I guess I'm a natural trouble maker. A gangster from birth." Youngjae said.

"I guess you are." Daehyun agreed. "Welcome to our family."