009

Can't Step Back

"Aww... Aren't these two just the cutest?"

"Himchan, leave them alone. Let them sleep."

"I did warn Youngjae about him koala hugging in his sleep, right?" Himchan whispered loudly.

"I don't know. Did you?"

"I'm pretty sure I did... But I'm sure he won't mind. I have to get a picture of this."

There was a deep sigh. "I'm leaving. Why am I even in here?"

"Because we're here to wake them up for breakfast. You forgot already? You really are getting old."

"We're the same age."

"I'm still younger."

"Let's just go. Kids should get more sleep." Yongguk said, before dragging a complaining Himchan out of the room.

Once they were out, Youngjae cracked open his eyes. Daehyun was right in front of him, and they were so close their foreheads were almost touching. Normally Youngjae would jerk away if he found someone that close, but he simply found himself smiling as he looked at Daehyun's peaceful sleeping face. There were none of the creases between his eyebrows like during the day, and Youngjae thought he looked like an angel when he was sleeping.

I feel like such a creep. Youngjae though.

He looked down at their tangled bodies and realized what Himchan meant by koala hugging. There really was no other way to describe it. Daehyun had both his arms and legs wrapped around Youngjae and the younger of the two was almost crushed against him. It was almost impossible to wiggle around without disturbing the other person as well. Youngjae pondered whether to wake the older boy, but in the end decided against it. Daehyun must have taken a long time to fall asleep last night and he wanted to give him more time.

Youngjae very very carefully tried to shift out of Daehyun's hold but failed to do so. As soon as he moved, Daehyun's eyes opened. It was like he was used to having to detect even the slightest movement while he slept to avoid danger. Youngjae froze when Daehyun's eyes focused on him. It only took him a split second to realize that he had his limbs trapping Youngjae to him and he instantly jerked away, almost falling off the bed in the process. 

"Good morning." Youngjae said awkwardly.

Daehyun chuckled, his voice laced with sleep. "Good morning. Sorry about that. It's a bad habit."

"I-It's fine."

"Did you sleep well?"

"Yeah. You?"

"Better than usual."

"That's good."

Daehyun blinked a few times slowly and then covered a yawn. Youngjae found himself staring at the other boy and could only hope he didn't notice. After yawning, Daehyun closed his eyes again but Youngjae knew he wasn't sleeping.

Though he felt like a creepy stalker, Youngjae found himself staring at Daehyun's face. He admired the way his bangs fell messily across his forehead and the way his lips were slightly parted. He saw the fading bruise on his cheek and was reminded of the day he was kidnapped. Youngjae's stomach filled with butterflies again.

To his surprise, Daehyun suddenly began laughing. Youngjae didn't mind hearing the soothing sound, but he felt his cheeks turn into tomatoes again. Daehyun opened his eyes and rolled so he faced Youngjae. His eyes were sparkling with amusement and it only made the butterflies in Youngjae's stomach flutter faster.

"Why are you acting so awkward around me? I can literately cut the tension with a knife." Daehyun said. "Did I do something wrong?"

"No." Youngjae reponded quickly.

"Then why are you so rigid? It's like you're lying on a board with nails, not a bed."

"I'm fine."

"If you say so."

Neither of the two said anything for a long time. Daehyun looked like he was trying to go back to sleep, and Youngjae didn't know want to disturb him. It's not only that, but he didn't know what to say. He felt so awkward around the other male and he wanted to smack himself for it.

I'm starting to act like those high school girls squealing whenever they see their crush. Youngjae though, making a face as he did. Gross.

"Is there something you want to talk about?" Daehyun asked without opening his eyes.  

"Um..." Youngjae hesitated. Might as well get this over with. "When you said that the others are especial close, what do you mean?"

"They're together."

"What?"

"They're together. Like... They're actual couples." Daehyun told him like it was a simple thing.

Youngjae felt his jaws drop. "Couple? Like dating couple?"

"Yeah. Is that weird?"

"N-No... But it's surprising."

"Why is it surprising? It's natural that they get that close after so many years."

"So--"

The door opened and Himchan poked his head in. There was a grin on his face at first, but when he saw the two boy were no longer in a koala-and-tree relationship, he frowned with disappointment as he lowered his camera.

"Aww. I missed it." Himchan sighed. "That's too bad. Get up now. Breakfast is getting cold."

"Okay." Daehyun said as he simply climbed out of bed as if nothing happened and walked into the washroom, closing the door softly after himself.

Himchan looked over at Youngjae who was still lying in bed, then walked over to sit next to him. He patted the younger boy's forehead absentmindedly as he stared off into space for a few seconds. Youngjae waited for the question to come out from between Himchan's lips.

"So, you have an answer now?"

Youngjae nodded slowly. "I think so."

"What are you gonna do about it?"

"Nothing."

Himchan's eyes dropped down to Youngjae, an almost disappointed look in them. "Why not?"

"What if he doesn't feel the same way? Then I would just be making things awkward." Youngjae said. It was simply an excuse for him not to get into a deeper relationship with the gangster. He was still a cop and he couldn't allow himself to start dating a criminal. He had been getting too relaxed for the last couple of days. He had to get back on track.

"You think the way you're acting right now isn't making things awkward?" Himchan asked. "Well, it's none of my business. You guys can take it at whatever pace you prefer."

"Can I go out?" Youngjae suddenly asked, catching the other man by surprise. "I just want to sort out my thoughts."

"Oh. Sure. Just don't come back too late." Himchan told him. "It gets dangerous at night."

"Okay, thanks."

Youngjae pushed himself off the bed and went to use the other washroom at the end of the hallway. Once he was done washing, he called a bye to Himchan before walking out the door. Somehow he managed to get himself out onto the streets without getting lost. He had memorized the different routes he could take back to the ice cream parlor a long time ago, so it was not a difficult task. After walked several blocks, he arrived. He pushed open the door, hearing the familiar jingle of the bells connected to it. The girl at the other side of the counter looked up with a smile.

"Good morning. Are you here for the usual order?" she asked.

"Actually, I want to talk." he said.

She tilted her head slightly in surprise, her pale purple curls dropping over her shoulder. "Sure. What do you want to talk about, Jae?"

"I got in, but I'm pretty sure you already know that, Hyosung. But... Would it be better for me to get closer to them or to distance myself?" Youngjae asked.

"Well, I would say to get closer." Hyosung said. "It's easier that way."

"Like... Very close?"

"What do you mean?"

"Never mind." Youngjae quickly shook his head. "So it's better to get close to them?"

"From my experience, yes."

"Okay. Thanks. I'll be back in a few days."

"I'll be waiting to hear from you again, Jae." Hyosung said with her well known eye-smile. "See you later."

"Bye."

He had been wanting to report when he went to visit the ice cream shop, but he ended up talking instead. He would have to hurry. The headquarters was probably getting impatient waiting for him. He didn't want to find out what they would do if he didn't give them more information soon.

However, he did get an answer to the question that had been swimming in her head. He was suppose to get closer to the gang. That meant... He would have to play with Daehyun's feelings for a bit to get secrets out of him. Part of Youngjae was glad Hyosung had given him that answer. It gave him an excuse to be near Daehyun, and he was happy.

But I don't have to time to be fooling around. Youngjae thought. I have to get serious now.

- - - - -

For those who are asking, the ending won't be a tragic one. ^^