003

Can't Step Back

The next morning, Youngjae woke up feeling better than the day before. He stretched and rolled over... Almost hitting his forehead against someone else. He had to bite down on his lips to suppressed a shout of surprised as he jerked his head back, slamming it into the wall behind him instead. They made contact with a solid thud, and Youngjae curled up as he tried to rub the pain away. He saw the other body move as it woke from the loud noise.

"Hey! What was that?!" Youngjae heard Himchan yell. "Daehyun, are you okay?!"

"Hmm?" Daehyun mumbled, rubbing his eyes as he woke up. "Yeah, I'm fine."

"Then get ready for breakfast."

"Okay."

Youngjae only stared as the other boy slowly sat up then yawned. He didn't seem to notice Youngjae curled up against the wall until a few minutes later when he glanced over after finally waking up properly. Daehyun didn't see surprised when he saw that there was another person on the same bed as him.

"Good morning." Daehyun said sleepily.

"G-Good morning."

"Oh. Sorry. Am I scaring you?" Daehyun asked, quickly slipping off the bed. "I'm just used to sharing a bed."

"Um... It's okay... I guess." Youngjae said hesitantly.

"Are you hungry?" Daehyun asked as he yawned again.

"Kind of."

"Let's go eat then. Himchan makes good food... Though it can taste strange at times." Daehyun told him. "The washroom is right there. You can use it first. I put a toothbrush and cup there for you already."

"Thanks."

Youngjae walked inside the small bathroom, locked the door, and let out a big sigh. Being around such dangerous people was making him tense and nervous all the time. It seemed that he had even been sleeping in an uncomfortable position the previous night. He was sore all over, and it wasn't just because of his wounds.

He knew that he had to hurry. If he couldn't give a report out within two weeks, then he would be reported as dead. He would have to get out as soon as possible and go to their usual meeting sights. He can't afford for his efforts to go to waste.

"Um... Youngjae, are you okay?" Daehyun asked. "You've been in there for a really long time."

Youngjae looked up when he heard the voice. "Yeah, I'm fine. Sorry. I'll be right out."

"No worries. Take your time."

Youngjae hurriedly washed his face, then brushed his teeth. When he walked out of the room, he saw that Daehyun had changed into a black collared jacket and matching black pants. Youngjae couldn't help but suspect that he was going out to cause trouble.

Daehyun didn't say anything, just walked into the washroom and didn't bother to close the door behind him as he washed up. Youngjae watched him carefully, looking for any suspicious movements like slipping a gun into his belt or something. It never happened.

"Are you ready?" Daehyun asked after he was done. Youngjae nodded. "Let's go. You don't have to be worried around the other guys. They won't hurt you."

Youngjae followed the gangster down the twisting hallway, and at the end of it, he was greeted with the delicious smell of breakfast. He saw Himchan standing at the stove with a red apron, his back to them as he continued cooking.

"Good morning. You two are finally awake. The others already left." Himchan told them.

"Sorry." Daehyun said.

Himchan glanced back, and his eyes met with Youngjae's. At first they were hard and suspicious, but then he relaxed a little bit. "Did Daehyun freak you out this morning?"

"Huh?" A very intelligent.

"He looked so uncomfortable sleeping on the table, so I moved him onto the bed." Himchan explained. "I hope he didn't koala hug you in his sleep."

Daehyun turned a shade of pink and purposely dropped his chopsticks onto the table, hoping to distract the two from the embarrassing conversation. Then he picked them back up again and picked up a piece of egg before sticking it in his mouth. His expression was suddenly unreadable.

"Um... Himchan... Did you happen to be trying something new again?" Daehyun asked.

"Yeah. How is it?"

"It has a very... Interesting taste." Daehyun finished.

"Just finish it. You were suppose to leave two hours ago." Himchan told him.

Daehyun didn't say anymore as he tried to eat as fast as he could. Youngjae sat in silence as he quietly ate the portion he was given. Himchan had turned off the stove and was drinking a cup of juice as he sat across from Daehyun, looking almost motherly as he watched the other boy eat. After a few minutes, Daehyun finished.

"I'm off. Please be nice to him, Himchan. He's still hurt." Daehyun said.

"Yeah, yeah. Hurry up and finish the job." Himchan told him. "It's pretty tough this time. Are you sure you don't need me to go along?"

"Someone has to watch Youngjae." Daehyun said. "I'll be fine."

"If you say so. Be careful." Himchan said. Then he smiled. "If you come back without any broken bones, I'll give you cheesecake."

Daehyun's eyes instantly brightened up, then they turned suspicious. "You're not going to put kiwi and pineapple in it again, right?"

"Don't worry. Just normal cheesecake this time." Himchan assured him.

"Okay. I'll be back really soon!"

Then Daehyun was out the door, and Youngjae was left alone with Himchan.

The two sat in silence for a while, not knowing what to say or do. Youngjae didn't really want to talk, since he knew by first impression that Himchan was very sharp, and he didn't want to accidentally give anything away. For a while, all that could be heard was Himchan sipping his juice while he kept a careful eye on Youngjae.

"So what were you doing in that alley the other day?" Himchan asked.

"It was an accident." Youngjae said.

Himchan narrowed his eyes. "It was very recently that we gave that part of our territory to the other gang. I'm sure the public hadn't heard about it yet. But you had enough nerve to step on B.A.P.'s territory?"

"I- I don't know anything about g-gangs." Youngjae said. He tried to add fear to his expression and voice. "I didn't mean to get in trouble..."

"Well, I guess you just arrived here." Himchan sighed. "If Daehyun hadn't found you, you probably would have died. Nobody wants to get involved with gangs around here."

"I'm grateful for him." Youngjae said sincerely.

There were more moments of absolute silence. Youngjae could even hear the ringing inside his ears. All the curtains were shut, so he still couldn't see outside. He decided to try and get some information from Himchan.

"Um... The others... Where did they go?" Youngjae asked while trying to sound innocent.

"Do you really want to know?" Himchan raised an eyebrow. "Just knowing could get you killed."

"O-Oh... Then--"

"I guess it's okay." Himchan suddenly said. "They'll probably be finished after today anyway. And I guess it'll make you feel safer if you knew what was going on."

"A bit."

"There are some other gangs that are causing unnecessary trouble. The others went to finish them off. I was suppose to go with Daehyun, but since you're here, he went alone." said Himchan.

"Finish them off? As in fight them?"

"What else?"

"But a whole gang...Daehyun went by himself?" Youngjae asked in disbelief.

"Yeah."

"Is he going to be all right?"

"Who do you think we are? Daehyun's tougher than he looks." Himchan looked at the clock on the wall. "I better start baking that cheesecake. He's going to be hungry when he gets back."

Youngjae continued to sit quietly at the table as Himchan looked through the cupboards, pulling out ingredients and mixing them in a bowl. He seemed to familiar with the recipe, having even memorized it by heart. He must have made it countless times already.

Youngjae could only sit there and try to entertain himself as he waited for the other gangster to finish up.
 


 

Knock knock.


Youngjae was woken from his nap. He realized that he had fallen asleep at the table, resting his head on his injured arm. He winced as he tried to get the blood circulating in it again. Across from him, Himchan put down his book and went to answer the door.

"Who is it?" he asked in his deep voice.

"Daehyun." the person on the other side said. It sounded weaker than usual, and Youngjae saw worry fill up Himchan's eyes.

He quickly pulled open the door and looked outside. Youngjae couldn't see on the other side of the door, but he saw Himchan's expression darken.

"I didn't break anything. Do I get my cheesecake?" Daehyun laughed quietly.

"Hurry up and get inside." Himchan told him.

Youngjae felt his eyes widen when he saw a bloody Daehyun walk inside, bent over slightly as he seemed to breath with some difficulty. Daehyun caught his gaze, and he smiled apologetically.

"Sorry for making you see my like this." said Daehyun. "You're probably even more freaked out that before."

"Are you okay?" Youngjae asked. He was surprised that Daehyun was still on his feet.

"This is nothing." Daehyun laughed lightly.

"Let's get you bandaged up." Himchan said. "Youngjae. Come with us. I'll need some help."

Youngjae silently obeyed and followed them. Himchan pulled out a large bag full of medical supplies while Youngjae helped Daehyun lie down on the bed. After some struggling, Daehyun was finally on his back. Himchan returned with a big bowl of warm water and some cloth.

"Youngjae, can you wipe the blood off?" Himchan asked.

The boy nodded and took the cloth, then dipped it in the warm water before turning to face Daehyun. His left eye was swelling slightly, and Daehyun carefully wiped the dried blood of his cheek. He tried his best not to actually touch any of the cuts since he was afraid it would be infected.

"I thought you said you would be fine." Himchan said as he began spreading a disinfectant on Daehyun's wounds.

"I am fine."

"Sure you are." Himchan said sarcastically. "But good thing there aren't any actual life threatening wounds. Seems like you just got cut a couple of times."

He gently pressed down on Daehyun's ribcage, making the younger one flinch.

"And probably a bruised rib."

"But nothing broken." Daehyun said.

"Nothing broken."

"Do I get my cheesecake?" Daehyun asked hopefully.

"Fine. But you're cutting it real close." Himchan told him.

"Yay." Daehyun cheered quietly.

After over thirty minutes later, Himchan finally finished treating Daehyun. Youngjae let out a breath of relief when he realized that Daehyun really would be fine. Himchan gave him a surprised glance, probably because he didn't expect him to care so much.

"I'll go get your cheesecake." Himchan announced, then left.

"Are you okay?" Youngjae asked Daehyun. "Thirsty?"

"No, I'm fine. You don't have to worry about me." Daehyun told him.

"I have to care for the one who saved my life." Youngjae said.

"It wasn't save. It was more like a coincidence that I walked by."

"But you could have left me there."

"...I guess."

A few minutes later, Himchan returned with a slice of cheese cake and a fork. He handed them to Daehyun, who happily took it and dug in. Himchan watched him for a moment before glancing up at the clock.

"I should start making dinner now." he mumbled. "Will you be okay, Daehyunnie?"

"I'll be fine." Daehyun told him. Himchan nodded and left again.

It was only Daehyun and Youngjae left in the room, and the younger one just sat on the bed beside the gangster as he ate his cheesecake. He didn't seem to mind the pain of his bruised rib when he was eating.

A cheesecake loving gangster? Youngjae wondered. The thought almost made him laugh out loud.

"What?" Daehyun asked. Had had noticed the slight twitch of Youngjae's lips.

"Nothing."

"Do you want some?" Daehyun asked.

"No, thank you."

"Are you sure? Himchan's cheesecake is the best. Well, his normal cheesecake anyway." Daehyun said. "Never, ever, eat his kiwi and pineapple cheesecake. Your tongue will go numb after."

Youngjae laughed lightly. "I'll be sure to remember." I won't be staying for that long though.

"How was your day?" Daehyun asked. "Did Himchan bother you?"

"No, he was very... nice."

"That's good to hear. Usually he doesn't treat guests well." Daehyun said. "Once he even threw him off the balcony, I think."

"Why?"

"He pulled a knife out on him."

"Oh."

Daehyun examined him with his observant eyes. "You don't plan on doing that, right?"

"No."

"How are you feeling?"

"Better than you." Youngjae told him.

"I'm used to it. I don't think you are." Daehyun said.

"Do you fight a lot?" Youngjae asked. Here's my chance to get some information.

"I guess so." said Daehyun. He shrugged but winced because of the motion. "There's been a lot of things to take care of these days."

"Like what?"

Daehyun looked at him. "I don't think I'm allowed to tell you."

"Right. Sorry for asking."

"No worries. It's human nature to be curious."

Youngjae and Daehyun sat in silence as Daehyun finished the last bit of his cheesecake. Youngjae helped him place the plate on the table, and he saw a few books lying on the corner.

"Do you like reading?" Daehyun asked. "Feel free to read one."

Youngjae took the offer and picked one up. He didn't even bother reading the title, since he wasn't actually interested. He just wanted something to do besides sitting around. Youngjae walked back to the bed and sat down, leaning against the wall. Daehyun had also picked up a book from the bedside table, and he began reading it.

The undercover police wasn't even paying attention to what he was reading. He just stared blankly at the words as other thoughts ran through his head.

Are they really gangsters? It doesn't feel like it. What kind of gangster cooks all day? If it Daehyun hadn't come back beaten up, I would be sure that I had the wrong people. Youngjae thought. This is going too slowly. I have to speed things up. But how? If I push too hard, they'll notice...

Before Youngjae could get some ideas, he felt a weight drop onto his shoulder. Surprised, he jerked slightly, then realized that it was Daehyun. The other boy had fallen asleep and his head was leaning against Youngjae's shoulder. Youngjae carefully removed the book from his hands and placed it back onto the bedside table.

He wanted to lower Daehyun onto the bed so he would sleep in a more comfortable position, but he didn't want to disturb or wake him. So he ended up lending his shoulder to the sleeping boy. The same question flashed through his head once again.

Is he really as dangerous as others say?