001

Can't Step Back

"Come in."

The deep voice still sent a shiver up Youngjae's spine despite all the years he had spent hearing it. It had a powerful rumble to it, one that was very suitable for the leader of an undercover police force. Even though the man said he fought for justice, he was quite merciless when it came to punishment, be it enemies or allies.

"You called for me, sir?" Youngjae asked after he stepped into the cold office.

"Youngjae. I have some good news for you." the man grinned.

Youngjae was nervous. Something this man said was good news could just easily be dangerous news. But since Youngjae had been trained since he was young how to hide his emotions, he easily smiled instead.

"I heard that you've been saving money for your brother. Since you need the money, I got a job just for you." Youngjae's boss said. "I'm sure you've heard of B.A.P.?"

"The infamous gang?"

"Correct. I just received an order from headquarters. We need an agent to sneak into their gang and leak information." he told the younger man.

Youngjae was silent as he waited for his boss to go on, and as he tried to sort his thoughts. B.A.P., one of the most feared gangs out there. Who purposely caused trouble and fights among the other gangs. Mingling with them could easily get him killed.

"The reward is very good. It will be more than enough for both you and your brother for the rest of your lives." his boss said. Then he scribbled something down on a piece of paper and slid it across the table. Youngjae walked up and picked it up. He was barely able to hide his shock.

"This..."

"A beautiful number, isn't it? I would go myself, but obviously B.A.P. wouldn't be stupid enough to trust me." the man said. "Lucky boy."

"Thank you for giving me this chance, sir." Youngjae said sincerely. If he wanted to help the brother who had spent his life taking care of him, then he couldn't worry about his own safety. "I will take this job."

"Good boy. The instructions for this mission isn't any different from all the other ones. You can go now."

"Thank you, sir."

Just as Youngjae was about to open the door and leave, he heard his name being called again.

"Youngjae." the boss said slowly. "You better not fail this mission. If you are discovered, then we won't get a second chance. B.A.P. will be too suspicious to allow another person in. Act carefully."

"... I will."
 


 

After an hour of walking around in the pouring rain without an umbrella, Younjae was still stuck without an idea of how to sneak into B.A.P.. He never had this much of a problem before, as he had never dealt with something so huge before. He had to plan his steps very carefully so he wouldn't blow up his cover. He was sure that the heartless gang wouldn't hesitate to end his life if he did, and it was too early for him to die.


"Hey. You there."

The voice interrupted Youngjae's thoughts and he was brought back to reality. He looked up and saw a tall, muscular man with a bandana glaring down at him.

"What are you doing here? This is our property." the man told him.

"I'm sorry. I was just trying to find shelter from the rain." Youngjae said, giving his best apologetic smile. "I'll leave right now."

As he was about to walk by, an arm shot out, blocking his way. Youngjae swallowed nervously. He was one of the best agents at hiding his emotions, but that didn't mean he was the best physically. Actually, compared to the others that worked alongside him, he was probably one of the weakest when it came to physical fighting. He could barely beat any of his colleagues. How was he suppose to win in a fight against a group of gangsters?

"Not so fast. You think you can get away with trespassing just like that?" the gangster asked him.

"I would understand if you say that to someone from another gang, but to a normal citizen? Isn't that a bit harsh?" Youngjae asked. "I'm sure thousands of people step here everyday."

It was only after that Youngjae realized he had said the wrong thing. Trying to talk reasonably with a gangster would only have the opposite effect. He saw a vein pop out from the gangster's neck, and his buddies behind him stepped in closer, surrounding Youngjae and trapping him against a wall. There were four of them, and none of them looked pleased.

I guess I never had to talk to gangsters before since I only went in to steal stuff... Youngjae thought. This is a good lesson. It'll come in handy against B.A.P.... If I get out of here alive.

Before Youngjae even had time to think about how he was going to defend himself, he felt a hard blow to his stomach that knocked the air out of him. He bent over, trying to catch his breath, only to get a knee to his face. Youngjae tried to fight back, but he was out numbered, and they were all much stronger than he was. Soon, he was lying on the ground with a small pool of blood around him, and his vision was getting blurry.

"That's what you get for messing with us." the gangsters laughed.

I can't believe this. I didn't even get to see B.A.P. yet and I'm already beat up. This is great. Youngjae thought. He wanted to sigh, but it was just too painful to do so. Sorry, but I don't think I can get the money in time.

As Youngjae felt the energy drain from him, he heard a voice shout from the front of the alley.

"Yah! What's going on here?"

"None of your business, kid. Get out of here." the biggest of the gangsters said.

"First, I'm not a kid. Second, I think it is my business. We just gave you this area a few days ago, so if you're going to start causing trouble so soon, we have to take action."

When the newcomer stepped into the alley and his hood lifted slightly from the movement, the four gangsters stiffened. They mumbled nervously among themselves.

"What's he doing here?"

"I don't know."

"This is bad. We should go."

"It's four against one. What are you afraid of?"

"Are you out of your mind? Even four against one, I doubt we can beat him."

"Coward."

"Let's see you take him on then."

"Fine."

Youngjae shifted in his position on the ground to get a better view of the new arrival standing in the mouth of the alley. He had dark brown hair and was wearing a hoodie with his large hood pulled over his head. He was pretty young too, from the looks of it.

"I'll give you two minutes to get out of here." the young man warned.

"We're not afraid of you." one of the gangsters said. "Just because you're strong when you're with your gang doesn't mean you're strong alone."

The younger one had an uninterested look on his face. "Think whatever you want."

Quicker than you expected, the man standing in front of you ran forward, fist raised, ready to punch the newcomer in the head. However, the younger on easily stepped out of the way, went behind him, and jammed his elbow into the other man's back. The guy fell down with a groan, and his three companions looked terrified.

"Get out. Now."

The three didn't hesitate anymore, immediately running up to their fallen gang member, slinging him over their shoulder, and disappearing around the corner. Once their footsteps faded and only the sound of rain could be heard, the newcomer walked up to Youngjae.

"Are you okay?" he asked.

"... Kind of."

"Let me help you."

When Youngjae sat up, he finally got a good look at his savior's face. The brown hair and the distinguishing lips... Youngjae finally recognized who he was. His eyes widened slightly, and he fell back, hitting the wall behind him.

"You don't have to be afraid." The man he now recognized as Daehyun from B.A.P. said. "I'm not going to hurt you."

"You're from..."

"Yes, I am. Hold still. You've lost a lot of blood." Daehyun told him.

Youngjae didn't know if he was lucky or unlucky. He had gotten beat up, but it gave him a chance to meet a member of B.A.P.. But now that he's right in front of him, what was he suppose to do next?

Daehyun was staring at him, and his gaze suddenly turned confused and worried. "Hello? Are you okay?"

The next thing Youngjae knew, blackness swallowed him.