Chapter 3

Wooyoung... gone?

Glancing at his watch, Minjae frowned and wondered how many minutes had passed since he was lost in his thoughts. Suddenly remembering the passed out maknae, Minjae quickly looks around, only to discover that Channie’s not there anymore. But that’s not all, he looks to the couch to see that it’s now empty too. No wonder the room has gone silent. They had probably entered their respective rooms for time alone. He was once again reminded of the silence. No sobbing could be heard anymore, at least, not in the living room. It relieves him, in a way. Hoping that maybe they could accept it now and have gotten over the shock. They just need time to sort out their thoughts. Each of them probably relieveing their last memories of him now.


It wasn’t long before Minjae hears the opening sound of a door that he felt nervous again. He stood still, rooted to the spot. Anxiously waiting for Khun and Junsu’s face to appear. But he saw Chansung instead. The boy temporarily left his room to retrieve, what he could guess as, Woo’s blanket off the couch, before loudly slamming his door shut. He didn’t even lift his head to look at Minjae, and somehow, Minjae was surprised at how glad he was that Chansung didn’t acknowledge him for he couldn’t think of anything to say to the latter. Nothing that the maknae needs now, anyway..


Left alone, Minjae lets his trail of thoughts leads him again. Seeing the maknae just now, though no sounds were emiited, his swollen eyes and face is enough to tug at Minjae’s heart. It’s not that it’s uncommon to see Chan cry, not when the boy is constantly losing himself in emotional movies. But it’s the reason that he cried, and fainted of which arouse the pity in Minjae. Channie probably still couldn’t take it.. Who could anyway?! It must’ve felt weird for him.. since, just last night, Woo and him were responsible for an episode of Grandpa Khun’s uproar in the apartment.. All because Chan was bugging Woo to bring back the snacks that he had grew fond of in their trip to Japan. Bugging, for Channie, includes a lot of cheeks pinching and rough aegyos, which then, leads to Woo’s outburst of annoyance, which is ignored anyway, since Chan persisted, and ends with Woo’s shouts, and Chan’s amused laughter. Both went silent when a third voice shouted though. Khun really, really hates it when his sleep is disturbed.


It all happened just last night..but it feels like eons to Minjae now..


Probably cause he knows that, from today onwards, the dorm won't ever be as loud again.. and that the boys who caused all the ruckus last night, they won't ever be the same again.. All of them.. all of the 2pm boys.. their loudness..is a thing of the past now..A precious past.. He wonders if Chan’s thinking of the same thing too.. If that was what made his eyes and face swollen.. Losing his ‘adorable hyung’, as he himself had once said.. Much to Woo’s annoyance..


As surreal and weird it is to Minjae, it must’ve been weirder for Chan…For, just last night too, like any other nights, Chan still shared the living room with Woo..Both of them, sprawled together on the living room floor, side by side..An unspoken contract ever since they live in the same dorm together.. It’s a bit ironic though to the others, seeing the neat freak of the group sharing space with Chansung, since he’s well known for his mismanagement of hygiene.. A fact that has long since proved and even evident now, by the look of the living room.. But unless the subject of cleanliness is brought up, the two gets along well. So well in fact, to huddle and cry together on the sofa when a sad movie is played.. much to the amusement of the others.. Besides, both of them loves to gang up on Junsu.. A popular pastime of theirs.. Especially Woo.. Yeah.. Junsu’s older, but 2pm’s maknaes are known for being evil anyways..


“Hyung? You’re here..? Where are the others?” Khun’s voice startled Minjae from his thoughts. He looks up to see Khun’s panic face staring at him. His eyes, wide and unblinking. Panic cause he can somewhat sense what’s about to come from Minjae mouth.


“Hyung..Why is it so quiet?? Oh god..” Junsu interjected. Suddenly appearing behind khun. His face mirroring the same expression that khun has.


Minjae felt his body tense. The same way he had felt when he was faced by taec before.


“Hyung..why..why..are you..crying..?” Khun’s face paled, slowly getting the hint.. Minjae dropped his gaze. He could hear Junsu approaching him, pushing past Khun.


“It’s true..isn’t it?” Junsu lightly whispers.


Minjae couldn’t find the courage in him to reply, and so, he just nod.


What happened in the next millisecond came as a blur. The pain that came from the punch to his face came surging as soon as he hits the floor.He could feel blood trickling down his nose.  Stunned, he looks up from his fallen position to see Junsu struggling to keep Nichkhun away from him.


Nichkhun..did this to me?


The latter’s face a deep shade of red as he lashes out curses in a mix of Korean and English. All directed to Minjae..


“Khun! Calm down!!”


“dammit dammit DAMMIT! IT’S NOT TRUE DAMMIT!! IT CAN’T BE TRUE!! “


“khun..please..’


“NO! HE’S WRONG JUNSU! IT’S NOT TRUE DAMMIT!!”


“Khun..please..get a hold of yourself..” Junsu now pleaded.. Tears streaming down his face.. The angered boy, still oblivious as he glares at Minjae.


Minjae couldn’t do anything except to stare back. He was too stunned. He had never thought that Khun would react in such a violent way. Not the gentle Khun. Sure, the Thai was scary when he’s truly mad, but minjae didn’t know that he was capable of throwing punches too.. a hard one at that.. but there’s not a tinge of grudge in Minjae’s mind.. No anger either.. cause Khun doesn’t deserve this loss.. None of them do.. none of them deserve to feel the pain of experiencing a loved one being taken away..Again, pity washed over him as he sees how hard Khun is struggling..not only against Junsu, but the truth..


“KHUN! CALM DOWN!!” a third voice intrudes and Minjae looks over his shoulder to see Taec approaching.. He had probably heard of the whole ordeal and decided to help..No sign of tears on his face now.. Just strong resolution.. Taec succeeded in gaining Khun’s attention for Khun then stopped his struggling..Both him and Junsu turns to look at Taec..


“Taec..he..he said that it’s true.. how could he say that about Youngie..?” Khun searches taec’s face for any sign of the opposite..


“It’s true Khun..”


“No! Not you too! It’s not true! I swear it’s not true! He’ll pick up..i know he will”


“Khun..please..”


“…”


“Khun..”


“NO IT'S NOT TRUE DAMMIT!.. He’ll answer me..he’ll probably call back later!!”


“Khun..Minjae hyung wouldn’t lie about this..please..”


“…”


“khun please…it scares me to see you like this..” the body that’s hugging Khun interjected..His voice heavy with tears..


“…”


“Khun..?” Taec’s voice was slightly lower this time.. Worries too filled his face..


“But..but he was fine this morning..he couldn’t have.. gone.. just like that right..?”


The question was met with silence.. Each of them wondering the same thing.. Woo couldn’t have possibly just left like that right..? If he is, then why didn’t he leave any sign?? How could he leave all too sudden.. ? How could he just leave all his brothers behind..? His family..his dreams.. his fans..


Junsu and Khun slumped to the floor.. Khun’s face, shocked still whilst Junsu covers his.. Trying to catch the tears that he had spilled..taec helps to pick Minjae off the floor and move him to the couch where they sat together.. Each lost in their thoughts as silence filled the room..


They say that when a room is filled with silence, it could only mean that an angel is passing by..


Minjae wonders if Woo is there.. Silently watching over his brothers.. He tries to imagine what the latter’s reaction would be seeing his brother like this, longing for him..  Proud? Laugh? Nah.. Knowing Woo, he would probably be crying too.. The boy just can’t stand it when he sees people cry.. Minjae smiled at the bittersweet memory, and whilst he’s at it, craned his neck around, trying to search for the mandoo-cheeked boy.. he knows it’s ridiculous.. but he couldn’t help it.. he misses the face so much.. He would give anything, everything even, right at that moment, just to catch a glimpse of the boy.. his laughter.. his smiles…or even, just his fox’s stare..


“But I love him…” Khun whispers..his face unchanged..


“We all do..” Taec sighed..


“Youngie’ll be back..i kno’’


“khun please..” Taec interjected..Silencing the other.. His voice laced with tiredness..


“Youngie..he..will..he won’t..” Khun stuttered..trying to finish his sentence before his voice gave out, and slowly, he gave in to his tears… He cries.. Nichkhun buck horvejkul, the one who doesn’t let his tears fall easily, who was always there to comfort Woo when the boy needs it, painfully cries his heart out.. Painful, cause it's painful for Minjae to even watch..


Junsu once again embraced the younger boy and holds on tight.. both to and receive support as he too, mourn over the little brother, the bestfriend that they had lost.. their sobs filling the room, that a sense of dejavu, passed over the staring minjae.. Minjae felt the couch shift and turn his attention sideways to see that Taec has stood up.. his eyes focusing on the two boys on the floor.. And true to his prediction, Taec went over to the two and embraced them.. His large arms, barely managed to envelop the two..Not crying this time, but gently hushing their cries..


“Come on guys.. be strong..”


“Khun…be strong… Uyongie won’t like this..”



Minjae stares at the three boys on the floor..Sees how hard Taec is struggling with his own tears.. How hard Junsu clings onto Nichkhun, and how hard, practically gasping for breath, Nichkhun’s cries is.. It was too much for him! The sight was too much! His boys.. His brothers.. they’re all in pain..  all of them.. What have they ever done to receive this..? Why them? And why… twice?


Despite the tough and manly appearances that they put on, they’re still, after all, regular boys..  Boys with regular feelings and pains… Boys that are hardworking and passionate to chase after their dreams.. Boys, who, despite having distinct personalities over each other,and putting language barriers aside, has come to love each other like family.. Minjae felt tears coursing down his cheeks..


Why them? And why did fate stole another brother, but this time, for ever..why?