Chapter 2

Wooyoung... gone?

Minjae dropped his gaze. Refused to look on any longer, in fear that he would join the mourn. Not yet. Not yet he thinks. He then looked over to the sofa. The now empty sofa.

Junho must have entered the room. Locking himself probably. He has always find comfort in isolation. That, Minjae has come to learn from living with the boys for almost three years now. Junho, is the kind who, though he looks indifferent when being criticized, takes it to the heart. Though in some cases, it bears positive outcomes, there are other times too, where it affects his morale. That’s when his brothers would usually step in. Motivating him, telling him how they’re all in this together.. and to remind him how it was like during trainee days and to be thankful. These speeches, usually come from the members that are good with words. For the others, like the magnae, since he likes food, expresses concerns, via food too. He once sacrificed the whole of his plate just to get Junho out of the room. They were so proud of him at the time.


And in Woo’s cases, whose mindset is more or less the same as Junho, the kind who worries too much and worries about every little thing, would accompany the sulking boy with a bowl of ice cream. A method he had learned in his trainee days when his hyungs treated him to one during his difficult times. Since they share a room, it’s easy for him to gain access eventhough the latter preferred to be alone. Hours.. or minutes, even, upon his entrance, laughter can usually be heard inside...without fail. And some time later, both exits with smiles on their faces, joking around. Being so used to that, Chan had once came up with the theory that Woo and Junho are twins separated after birth, and that he shouldn't have to give his food in the future because they could just use Woo. While one out of the two things he said earned him a slap on the head, the other is well-received. Cause really, eventhough they’re all close, the two have more things in common and relate so well with one another. Probably since they're both pretty stubborn.. and not to mention the similar small eyes.. Minjae wishes, more than anything, right at that moment, to see not one, but two boys emerging from the room.. with smiles on their faces. He knows how impossible that is. But one isn’t wrong to wish right?


Sighing, Minjae dabbed the forming tears with his sleeve and walked over to the kitchen, looking for something that could revive Chan. The heart-wrenching sobs in the room gradually growing fainter and fainter. As he opened  the fridge, he saw a writing that made his heart heavy. So heavy that he felt compelled to break down. Amongst the many "this is mine" and "Don't steal", the said writing was attached to a bag of an opened dried mangos.

 

“CHANNIE, and everyone else, if you’re NOT A  JANG WOOYOUNG,
then you’re NOT ALLOWED to touch this. Thank you. ^^ “



Minjae quickly slams the fridge shut. He doesn’t want to be reminded of the loss again dammit! Not yet! He couldn’t!! He has to be strong for the boys. He couldn’t repeat the coward act he had earlier on. Especially, since the worst has yet to come. For Khun isn’t here yet. And Junsu too. For those two, he will wait. It won’t be long before they arrive now.


But the writing lingered at the back of his mind.. It's weird, how... alive, the owner of the writing is when he wrote that, and how...not alive..he is now.


As Minjae grabbed a smelling salt, he debated on whether he should return to the living room. To where the lying maknae is. Where Taec is too. How could he continues to be strong when Taec still hasn’t quieten down?! Each sobs resounding in the apartment could open further wounds on his already fragile heart. It only takes a few steps from the kitchen to the living room. Heck, the whole of the living room could be seen clearly from the kitchen. There really isn't much difference to where he is now. But Minjae fears that, even a slight increase in the volume of Taec’s mourn could threaten his tears to spill too.


CRASH!..”


The sounds of shattering glasses woke him from his thoughts. Not once, nor twice, but continuously. One after the other.


After taking a quick look at the living room, where Taec is, apparently, still unmoved even by the sound, Minjae decided that the sound came from Junho’s room. Worries filled his head as he rushes to the latter’s door.  He slowly turns the knob and peeks inside. Sure enough, shreds of glasses littered the floor. Picture frames, glass bowls, scattered the floor. But more than that, he was glued by the sight of a disheveled looking Junho. Sitting on the bed, burying his head in the pillow. By the way that his body shook, there was no mistaken that this boy too, is crying.


Pity washes over Minjae as he spot a picture on the floor.. a picture of them seven together. The boys. Their happiness clearly potrayed. Faces showing the naïve innocences and joy that they felt in those days. Minjae remembers that moment vividly because he was the one who took the photo. Taken in Thailand when the boys had a day off, and decided to go swimming at the hotel’s pool. It’s really rare for them to get a day off together after their debut, so they made the best out of it. Fooling around until midnight.


The leadja, in the photo, flexing his muscles. Making a suggestive face into the camera. Typical of him.
“Pabo”, Woo had commented..
Khun, of course, displaying a perfect smile as he links his arm over the leadja’s shoulders.
Taec, happily showing his rich teeth on the other side.
Junho, adorable eye smiles as he made a “v” sign behind the unsuspecting Junsu, who is posing with his "gangsta" pose.
Channie, smiling foolishly, oblivious to the angry Woo as he pinched the latter’s cheeks. The only one who’s apparently, not too happy in the picture.
But he was fine later on when he dunk the maknae’s head into the pool.


Pity filled him. Pity for the seven boys in the picture that had seen nothing of the loss that they have to endure in the future.. Pity for the seven boys for the loss that they undeservedly received. It was hard enough for them after the break up. The remaining six, they could’ve given up, but they didn’t. Even if there were times that they would question their will and passion sometimes after the loss, all were quickly forgotten once they think of their family. The hopes of the family that they shouldered. Besides, if they were to give up, then they wouldn’t have the chance to stand on stage with Jaebeom again. That was one of the reason they held true to their heart. One to drive them forward and work harder. Amidst the ignorance of their leadja’s existence that they put on in front of the fans, they had silently plotted the stage for the seven of them once again in the future. It didn’t have to happen soon. It could be many years later, for as long as the public could accept it. But they had vow that, no matter how many years, they would remain strong to materialize that dream.


But who knew that a second one would be taken away so soon too? Who could ever knew, that the second one taken, couldn’t ever stand on stage again. No matter how many years they would vow to wait. And in that instant, Minjae realizes that their hope of standing together as seven again is forever crushed. All in just one day. Their hard work, the sweats that they poured, worthless, because of the unseen tragedy.For even if there’s Jaebeom, there won't ever be Wooyoung.


Minjae felt helpless.. There's nothing that he can do, he realised, to help them.. Even if he wanted to, with all his might, turn things back to how it used to be.. Back when Jay was still there.. when Woo was still there.. Back at the time of the picture.. Where 2pm, still consists of seven.. But he can't do anything now.. He can't even bring smiles to their faces now, much less, fights fate.. With that thought in mind, Minjae retreated from entering and softy pulled the door shut. Junho needs his time alone. There’s nothing that he or anyone else can say to help him at the moment. Nobody, if it’s not Woo. And Woo’s not here.


Back at the living room, he hears the familiar tone of Taec’s phone.. Seeing that Taec made no move to even reach it, Minjae retrieves the phone lying on the floor..




“Incoming call
Prince Khun”


Before Minjae could press the answer button, the phone goes silent and a 3 missed calls is shown on the display screen. He was about to throw the phone at the couch before it once again rings.




“ 1 message received”


Minjae looks over at Taec. Contemplating whether he should hand it over or opens it himself. He picks the latter.




“From : Prince Khun
Taec? Any news yet?
Pick up the phone man.
Me and Junsu r worried sick, we’re on our way.
Youngie’s phone still dead ;-(( “



Minjae sighed again. He reads the text over and over. Once again mulling the thoughts of how he’s gonna break the news to them. He could feel tears forming again. How are these boys gonna react, hearing that, yes, it’s true what they’ve heard. Yes, it’s Woo’s plane. Yes, he’s not coming back. And no, he won’t pick up the phone even if Khun tries again. He wishes that it’s as simple as that. It has been almost an hour now since Minjae was informed of the news, and yet, parts of it still feels a little too surreal to him. It’s hard imagining that he won’t ever get to see Woo again. Technically, he knows that the boy is gone, but he still can’t imagine how it’ll be without him. Like, he’ll never get to see the boy laugh or whines again.. won’t he? It still feels like a dream. A nightmare that is. It all happened too fast!


Just this morning, Woo was so full of life, just like he always is after a good night’s sleep. And this evening, they have to accept that he’s not coming back again? Ridiculous really.. He would’ve scoffed or laughed if somebody were to tell him that morning, while he’s sending Woo to the airport, that that’ll be the last time he’ll ever be with Wooyoung.


Not Wooyoung, he would probably say.


Wooyoung has still a long way to go! That boy is so full of dreams and he’s always looking forward in life.. He’s an idol star that is loved by many! it’s impossible for him to leave just yet. He still got a lot of stage to perform! Lots of crowds and fans to be ‘wow-ed’, and of course, laughters to deliver. The boy has yet to show his true talent in dancing! And what will his hyungs do without him?! The apartment would be in a mess!! And..and..he still has to beat Junho in civilization! And accompany Channie to watch the new movie they rented! And shoot the drama with Taec! And annoys Daegu a hell lot! And meet jaebeom again! His brothers won’t let anything from harming him.. Especially his Khun hyung..


But nobody warned Minjae..


He choked on his tears as the truth sank in again.


Woo’s never gonna come back….


He won’t get to do all those things now.. All those that he had promised, the dreams he works hard to achieve.. All those shattered in just a day.. They won’t get to see him walk through the apartment door again. Or see him at the living room in the morning, twisted with blankets. Or hears him whine about the mess in the dorm. Or sees him performing ssanti dances on shows. Or laugh during interviews by his quick remarks. Or scoffs at him whenever he speaks Kongrish with Khun and Taec. Or sees him struggling to explain things with his 4D thinking. Or having their rooms being snuck into at night. Or teases him about his love life. Or never having to worry about losing in games since Woo’s always the loser. Or make fun of his Tibetan fox’s face. Or comfort him when he cries.. Or, being contented just by his presence, cause even if he’s not the best talker, he’s the best of friend to all of them.. Minjae tries to imagine all of those things, all of those that they would miss..but still failed to do so. Probably cause the boy is very much alive in his heart and memories.


"Wooyoungie, hyung misses you…"