Fateful

Our Never Ending Love Story

Fateful

 

 

73627_original.png

 

 

The name card on his room door indicated Kim Junsu. It was oddly familiar, as if it was beckoning me to slide the barrier open and see him for myself. And that was exaclty what I did. I found him lying prone on the bed, the white sheets covering him ans effectively shielding him from the cold. I stepped closer, careful so as to not startle him awake—although I knew full well that he wouldn’t be waking anytime soon.

I stood at his right and observed him intently.

His face bored no color; his skin so pale and lifeless. Looking almost at peace was negated by the fact that he wore a slight frown, his bows were creased.

I felt his melancholy.

I sat down.

And I started telling him stories.

“I’m Bieum,” I started. “I’m an accountant, but I volunteer here whenever I’ve free time, or whenever I need some down time,” I added. “I wasn’t around when you were brought in, the other day, or when you had your surgery, but I heard from the nurses that you hadn’t really been getting visitors.”

I spent more than a couple of hours in his room. And by the time the nurse knocked to tell me that I had to leave for the night, I’d been famished. But walking through the well-known halls of the hospital of that first night, his face and name hadn’t left my mind.

He was more than oddly familiar, and I knew I couldn’t rest until I’ve found why.

The walk to my shared apartment was a quick one, mostly because I wasn’t really paying any attention to anything. It was only the fragrance of my comfort food that fished me from my seeming reverie.

“Riin-ah!” I exclaimed, the thought of my favorite baked tuna macaroni did wonders to my spirit. “Why are you so good to me?”

I spotted her sitting on the couch in front of our small television, watching Glee. She was nursing a plate of the very same dish that’s perfumed our apartment. I stood right behind her, before wrapping my arms around her neck.

“Yah! I’m eating here!” she shouted good-naturedly. “You almost knocked the plate from my hand!”

“I was just being appreciative, you troll!” I answered with a pout. Turning to get myself a plate, I had a glimpse of my best friend and her raised brow.

And realization struck.

“Hey, Riin-ah,” I called as I scooped some baked mac onto my plate. I received a soft hum to signify that she had my attention. “Why didn’t you spend the night?”

My buddy made her way to the kitchen area, empty plate in hand. She sighed. “The kids went on a trip! I wasn’t needed there, so Aunty just made me home,” she whined.

It was a pretty rare feat, for this girl was cheerful like no other. Even with her life story as it is, she’d become the light of my life—my very best friend.

I shook my head to clear my thoughts, details of a plan were quickly filling it up.

“So, you aren’t busy tomorrow?” I asked.

“Nope, what are we going to do?” she answered.

“Come with me to the hospital!” I replied excitedly.

And with that, my plan just hatched.

The next day, a little before lunch time, I hastened towards Soojin at the nurse’sstation. I texted her about my plan before I finally rolled on my bed and she’s pretty much in on it. Asked pretended to ask her about the patients, looking through the date sheets so we’d be able to identify with them. I flipped through Kim Junsu’s file then nonchalantly handed it over to my Riin.

I walked away, to the west wing, and away from Riin’s wrath and hid for a bit.

I had noticed the stiffening of her form when she’d seen his name. But she didn’t say a word as she ambled slowly to his room. I heard Soojin tell her that he hadn’t gotten visitors; he didn’t have an emergency contact on his driver’s license. Riin did not really pay attention and her hand shook as she turned the corner to the east wing.

As Kim Junsu’s room was the very first from the corner, it didn’t take long for her to be sliding the door open. I waited until she stepped inside before emerging from my hiding spot and following suit. And just as I was standing beside the door, I heard a choked sob.

It really was him; that boy whose picture my Riin-ah had kept for years. He’d been the reason why she went back to her hometown every weekend, hoping to see him again.

“Oppa,” she said.

I sneaked a peek into the room. She had his hand in hers, holding it so tightly—it’s as if he would disappear right before her eyes.

“Oppa, do you still remember me?” she finally asked. “It’s Riinie, oppa.”

I won’t deny the tears that suddenly welled from my eyes. But before I could laugh and give myself away, I ran to the other wing, away from Kim Junsu’s room. I followed my usual routines, talked with some of the patients, and tried to entertain them.

 

 

- - -

 

 

I heard their laughter as I keyed in the lock code of our shared apartment. It had been a couple of months since that day I tricked Riin into volunteering in the hospital with me; I proceeded to toe off my shoes.

“Bimmie-yah, is that you?” my best friend asked before she appeared by the entrance. “Junsu oppa and I just came back from the orphanage,” she stated.

I nodded in response. “Have you had dinner yet?”

“No,” she answered. “But there’s chicken in the oven. We can all eat together.”

She turned and walked to the kitchen, while I follow. We prepared the table, setting places for three—like we had countless times already. After placing the last of the cutlery, Riin looked up at me, asking for my attention.

“Listen,” she said. “I haven’t thanked you yet.”

“For what,” I asked.

“Don’t play dumb,” my best friend teased. “I don’t know how you knew that it’s him, but thank you.”

I blushed. “Yeah well, what kind of bff would I be if I didn’t help you have your deam come true?”

 

 

-----

 

Happy birthday, my love. And of course, the pretty little poster is by out lovely Jiin!