Christmas Part-ay

Exactly What I've Been Waiting For

The house was lit from a mile away, literally. The Christmas light flashed every ten seconds, and the lawn was full of snowmen and lightened christmas trees and much more twinkle lights.

Kim was in the passenger seat of Gerald's car, checking her makeup in the mirrror. "You wanna loosen your grip on that steering wheel?" She reapplied her lipstick.

Gerald laughed beside her, "Your parents grilled all your sister's boyfriends. Your dad can be a gunman when it comes to boyfriends and his daughters. I'm lucky all I am is squeezing the steering wheel."

She pushed the mirror back up, wiped underneath her eye, grabbed one of his hands, kissed the top of his knuckle and intertwined their fingers. "They already love you to death. My mom can't stop talking about this handsome architect dating her daughter."

"Right, I'm sure your dad will absolutely love the idea of me touching his daughter."

"Maybe you shouldn't mention that part," she teased. When she felt him tense him and laughed. "Calm down! They know I've had . My dad was the one who bought me birth control pills when I was eighteen."

He pulled into the bright drive way and took a deep breath. "How do I look?"

Kim laughed and ed his top button on his shirt. "Like my boyfriend. Come on, don't let my Dad wait. He can't wait long enough to grill you."

Kim opened the front door and took in the smell of her mother's cooking. "Mom! I'm home!" She yelled, making her way into the kitchen. Gerald stayed close behind.

The house had a nice golden glow to it. The chandelier was dimmed, and was set off by tons of candlelights. The Christmas tree was beautifully decorated with classic Christmas songs playing in the background. Everything was Christmas, down to the couch covers and the Christmas red curtains on the windows. It was almost as if Santa Claus vomited Christmas spirit into place. He loved it.

The house was full of chatter, in the living room, the den, the kitchen; even the hallways. He kept a close trail on Kim, never wanting to be left alone.

The entire kitchen was full. Wine bottles opened and unopened, pots and pans all over the counter, aprons scattered around, stoves on, sauces boiling, fragrances filled the room. It was a feast to feed a hundred, and that's what it was about to do.

"Mom!" Kim yelled, placing her dish on the table, and hugging her mother from behind.

"Kimberly! My baby is here!" She smiled, relaxing in Kim's embrace. "Okay, throw on an apron and check on the lasagna in the oven, and then start grating the cheese." She instructed.

Kim nodded and put on the apron that spelled her name.

"What am I supposed to do?" Gerald leaned in to whisper.

"There's a beer in the fridge. Get one. The boys'll be here soon. You can wait in the living with my brother and cousins." He sent her a troubled look. "Ge, I gotta cook."

"I could, you know, watch?"

Lilly laughed at his resistance. "Gerald, sweetheart, you'd rather be grilled alone than with an audience."

He sighed, and went to the fridge. "I'd rather be drunk." He cracked open the top and took a long swig, giving Kim a wet kiss on the cheek.

"There goes your beloved," Lily whispered laughing.

Gerald entered the living room with the beer bottle covering his face.

"There's the man doing my sister!" JP clapped his hands.

"Ha, ha, ha," Gerald plopped down beside JP and pushed his face to the other side. "Shut up."

"Um...Tito, how are you?"

"Gerald! Come join us here. We're watcing basketball. That's your expertise, right?" He passed Gerald some nachos and dip. "The real food is expecting out patience."

His smile was uneasy, but he accepted the invitation. Before he knew it, it  was just like every other Christmas where he was yelling at the tv and cheering for the winning team.

Everyone else slowly entered the house with their families. The house was beyond full, and the light snowfall outside didn't stop anyone from embracing the winter.

Kim stayed by his side as long as she could have. But when her father walked through the door, that was one man he couldn't take from her.

William was a young man. He was younger than most fathers, and more energetic than most. Four children in his first family and another child in his next failed marriage. The last son just turned eight and was the heart of the family.

Other than spending time talking with her father, she spent it outside playing with her step-brother in the snow. It was one of the things he admired most about her. She had a huge heart, and it all belonged to him, he thought.

Kim flashed him a look when her brother tackled her down onto the snow. Her smile was from ear to ear, and it made him smile. How lucky was he to end up with this girl?

The two children at heart were called back inside. Kim, with her rosy cheeks and chattering teeth, went straight to Gerald and wrapped him in a bear hug.

He enclosed her his arms around her and kissed the top of her head. "You're cold and wet," he laughed. She giggled. "You coming over tonight?"

She nodded and reached up to kiss him.

"Looks like you need a another beer."

Kim stumbled and Gerald pushed her away not very subtlely.

William smled. Casually, Gerald thought, like he didn't just made plans to sleep with his daughter.

Gerald accepted the beer and popped open the top. "Great party, as always." He knew the reign of terror was about to come in.

"Favourite of the year." William threw his arm around Kim's shoulders, affectionately and protectively. "Don't worry, Gerald. Her mother made me promise not to grill you." He winked.

Kim laughed and kissed the base of her father's chin. "Daddy's little girl."

"I still remember you running around the lawn in your little overalls, walking you to your first day of school. You bring the colour and the life."

"Daddy," she whispered, blinking away the tears.

William shifted his gaze, directly to Gerald. "It's a lucky man who's offered that colour and life. And a wise man who values it." Kim bit her nail under her father's arm. "A man only gets so many treasures. And now I have people to see," his tone broke out into pleasantries. "Gerald. Baby." He kissed Kim's cheek and walked away.

Gerald's eyes widened and he took a deep breath. "So much for not grilling me."

"Sorry. He can't help it."

After the sit down dinner, Gerald headed upstairs to use the bathroom. He heard coughing coming from the room across the bathroom. But it wasn't just a cold cough, it was one of those heaving coughs, like one that sounded like someone was coughing out a lung.

His worried self ignored the bathroom door and went straight for the one across the hall. He turned the knob and was shocked to see who was on the other side. It was the man who did the grilling.

Gerald walked in and rushed to his side, trying to rub his back and ease the pain he knew William was in.

William shook his head. "Shut the door."

"Tito, you need something to drink. Just give me one second - "

"Shut. The. Door." He said in between coughs, sitting on the foot of the bed.

Gerald did as he asked cautiously. "Do you want me to call Kim?"

He laughed and shook his head. "No one knows anything. And it's going to stay that way. I don't have that much time left, and I need this to be real. And it will be real." His coughing subsided.

"Tito..." Keeping a secret like this?

"Gerald, I don't ask people of much. I have a fmaily I need to take care of, and I can't have them looking and treating me like I'm broken. This needs to stay between. Until I'm ready." He was his chest, trying to relax his crazy heart.

"Daddy, Gerald, we're about to start caroling." Kim opened the door and invited them downstairs.

He grabbed his girlfriend's hand and followed her down the stairs. "What's wrong?" She asked, noticing something different already.

He turned to look at William behind the two of them. "Nothing. I just hate carolling."

She didn't believe a word of it. There was something bothering him, and she could tell it was difficult for him to hold. She'd be lying if she said she wasn't disappointed.

When they got home, Gerald wasn't up for anything. Kim knew something was up when he didn't try to drag her into his bed. Instead, they were in bed doing...nothing.

 

NOTE: THIS HAPPENS TWO WEEKS BEFORE ACTUAL CHRISTMAS. And my computer is acting up, i have internet one hour, i don't another, so be patient. I know I'm asking a lot right now, but updates are moving along slowly. Thanks, and stay tuned for more.