The Lillte Things

Exactly What I've Been Waiting For

It was boys' night over at Gerald's house which meant it was girls' night over at Kim's. She welcomed the ladies inside with a glass of red wine and the gossip started.

Mel was being promoted at work, Shaina and Rayver were  expecting baby #1 and Maja was opening a second dance studio.

"Enchong spoke with you yesterday, no?" Erich asked, eating from her take-out box.

Kim laughed. "I'm assuming we're just skipping the other three in our mini-circle," she muttered.

They all laughed with her. "Our life is not as interesting as yours. We heard you had a date last night."

"Are we going to talk about all my dates with him?"

"Probably. Come on, tell us."

Kim pulled her knees against her chest and shrugged. "We went out to dinner in a restaurant. He drove us to a drive in and then we went dancing." She got up and limped her way to the kitchen for a refill.

They slapped their heads to Kim. "You're limping."

"After having a hot date." another added.

"You guys had--"

"Don't even say it!" She warned laughing. "I am not talking about my love life, let alone my life."

All seven of them squealed, "So you did have !"

"I'm getting out of here. Once you guys are done, you guys can call me back." She smiled and put on her jacket, walking down the lobby.

An hour later, Kim walked back into the lobby and brushed off the flakes. Shaina was waiting on the couchwith a magazine on her lap. "Shai, what are you down here?"

"They all expected you half an hour ago. I came down to do something productive and wait for you."

Kim sat down beside her, "Well, Rayver would kill me if he found out I made his little girly in there wait here in the cold," she said, fussing around Shaina's non-existant stomach.

Shaina laughed. "Well, Rayver's been fussing just as much you have, and I just found out a week ago. Anyways, it's just  us here, Kim. You can talk now. I know you're dying to."

"Last night was great," she confessed like a sigh of relief. "The entire was planned from the place, down to the music, the movie we watched. He said he made sure it was night made for me."

"Are you in love with him?" Kim didn't answer, which proved to be an answer all on its own. "Kim! Aw, sweetie! Look at you, you're in love! And who would've thought it would be with Gerald?"

Kim covered her eyes and dropped her head on Shaina's shoulder. "Trust me, I didn't want it to be. You know me, I want romance, I want the happily ever after, and Gerald is definitely not it. I mean, I said that I was fine with it, but one of these days..."

She took Kim's hand, "One of these days, people surprise us and they become the people we want them to be. You know, I've known Gerald the same amount of time as you, and probably better because I have an objective perspective. He's loyal, kind, motivated, sweet, genuine, honest and commited. I see him when he has a project to do, he does whatever it takes to get it done."

"So I'm just another project?"

"No, you're the woman in his life. And that's much more important. Just have a little faith. I see the way you look at him, honey. I see the way he looks at you; the way you light up when his name's said. Anyone can tell you're in love with him."

"I juse hope not him. If he figures it out, he's going to run."

Shaina agreed. "Or he'll realize that it's what he's been feelng from the start."

"Okay, come on Ms. Optimist and Optimist Jr." She laughed, leading Shaina back upstairs to the warmth.

In her office, Kim caught up on all her paperwork while she blasted classic music in the background. It was the last Sunday of the month which meant the shop was closed. Receipts checked, books marked, cheques written, inventory stocked, plants watered and more book marketing done.

"Kimberly!" It was Lilly calling her from the front. There were only a selected few who Kim chose to have the keys to her shop, her mother being one of them. `

"Mom! Back here," she reached for the remote control and turned down the volume just a notch.

Lilly waltzed in with all her grace and looked radiant. She kissed the top of her duaghter's head and grabbed a stem. "Oh, I love dendrobium orchids."

Kim walked around to refrigerator and pulled out an iced tea. "Mom, I could've made you a bouquet of them if I knew you were coming. What are you doing here?"

"I worked this morning and came to see my beautiful daughter before I go home." She found a pamphlet of some hygiene products. "Oh, you shopping online?"

"Yeah, I want some more of my facial mask, I'm running out soon."

"Is it any good? Avocado, honey, lemons? Sure, sounds like it smells good."

She laughed, cutting off some stems. "How about you tell me?"

Lilly grabbed hold of Kim's face and inspected her carefully. "Well, you certainly do have a glow. But from what I hear it's not from the jar."

"Lucky genes?" She flashed a dashing smile.

"Lucky something. I ran into your cousin Ana who was out last night with her fiance and she spotted somebody sharing a wine, pasta and an intimate conversation with a certain handsome young architect."

Kim laughed and couldn't hide her smile. "Gerald and I have been going out, and last night we went out to dinner and a movie and dancing."

"You're being quite evasive. Is it becuase you think I won't approve?" She asked helping her daughter clip off the ends of the stems. Kim stayed quiet. "Honey, as long as you're happy, I'm happy! You know that." She squeezed Kim tight.

"And I am happy. I'm beyond happy. It's odd, isn't it? After all this time?"

"Well, your family all expects him for Christmas. Which isn't a big difference since they all come by anyways. But not as your friend, Gerald. As you...boyfriend!" She squealed highly.

"Mom!" She laughed. "Mom," it was a more serious tone now. "I'm in love with him."

Lilly nodded, "Yes, honey, I know your face. You don't hide it very well."

"He's not in love with me."

"And he has a bachelor's degree?" She teased.

"Do you think he can change? Do you think I can make him fall in love with me?"

Lilly pulled on her daughters hand and pulled her on the sofa in the corner of the room, closing the door. "Baby, if I didn't make your father fall in love with, you wouldn't be here in the first place."

"No offense, Mom, but that doesn't make me feel better. You guys got a divorce."

"Kimberly, that doesn't matter. When I met your father, I fell in love hard and fast. He was so handsome, and kind and sweet and funny. With one look, I melted. You know, we became friends first, but deep down inside, all I wanted was for us to just hide in a closet for an hour." She raised her eyebrows smiling.

"Mom!" Kim shook her head, embarassed.

"Baby, I didn't invent women's wants and needs. I'm the victim. So when friendship wasn't enough, I did my best to do everything I could to make him notice me more. I dressed up in girly dresses instead of jeans, I cooked him meals I knew he loved, listened to him when he needed a friend. And before he left me to go to work or go to a game or just go home, I made sure his tie wasn't quite straight - or even when it was - so I'd have to fix it. I knew that one day, we'd be over the friendship stage and we'd be in love. I just had to show him, in little, subtle ways, that I was his." She sighed. "Your father was always careful with me. He never held my hand too long, hold my gaze for too long. But then that one day, he asked me to meet him under the oak tree and when I saw him coming, I saw it in his eyes. My heart just fell at his feet, and his fell beside mine."

Kim blinked away tears. "But it didn't work out."

"Who said so? We have four great children who are happy and loved. Honey, your father and I - we don't hate each other. We never have. Yes, we had some difficult times, but who hasn't. We're just one of the smart ones who decide to give up and have a beautiful relationship, rather than live in constant misery with each other. Now that we're apart, we haven't fought once. Thirty-five years of marriage, thirty-five happy years. I wouldn't give it back for the world. Your father has taught me so much. He taught me how to love. I still love him, but as the father of my child. He will always have my heart. But only half," she winked.

Kim understood. "Mom, I don't think fixing Gerald's tie is going to make him fall in love with me."

"Kimberly, it's the little things, the moments, the gestures. Mine was the tie. Yours could be that moment when you're lying in bed and you look over at him and you see him staring back you. It's that tiny gesture that lets him see your heart, that lets him know you're his. I gave your father my heart, my whole heart, even if he was just going to stomp on it. I was brave. Love is the most bravest thing."

"I don't think I'm as brave."

"You're wrong. The first step is knowing you're in love, and confessing it." She looked at the clock and saw to it that it was almost seven. "Oh, your step father is hungry. I got to get home." Kim laughed and got up, wiping her damp eyes. "Do you have a date?"

"Mmhmm. After his meeting he's coming to pick me up and we're going dancing and..."

"Ah," Lily raised her eyebrows. "I know what "and" means. Be good, baby. I love you. And your father does to."

"I love you both. Bye." She walked her mother out just as Gerald came by with a bouquet of white roses. "Hi," she said, hugging him.

"Hey. These are for you."

"Thank you, they're beautiful."

After the night was over, and Kim woke up next to him, she turned over to face him. He was gorgeous when he was asleep. His overnight stubble already grew on his chin, but that didn't take away from wanting to kiss him.

She leaned over and did just as she wanted, waking him up.

"What time is it?" He groaned, pulling her closer.

"After nine. Gotta go?"

"Soon." He opened his eyes and looked at her beautiful face. "Good morning." She smiled, his hair lightly. "I need a haircut?"

Kim giggled. "I like it long." She let go, and traced the side of his face, staring deeply into his eyes just as her mother said. "I had a great time last night," she whispered.

"I did too."

It seemed like the perfect time to say those words, but she couldn't. Was it fear? Maybe. She was scared he wouldn't say it back, so instead she put a hand over his chest, over his heart. His heart was pounding. "I..." But she couldn't finish. "I...can't wait to see you again."

He laughed. "Well, Christmas is coming up, so..."

"My mom actually wants you to come by for Christmas. As my boyfriend." Kim smiled.

"Well, as your boyfriend I shall come," he promised. "Should I be scared?"

Kim shook her head. "No. Not that I know of. You won'y get punched in the face, if that's what you're worried about."

He tapped his inivsible bruise. She rolled her eyes and leaned in for another kiss, but instead he grabbed her and pulled the covers over them. Obviously soon enough wasn't soon enough.

On his way out, she walked him to the front lobby in only her robe and Gerald ready to take on new...architecture. He stopped just shy ofthe door and turned to face her. "I'll call you tonight."

"Hold on," she said. "Your tie's crooked," she whispered, fixing his already perfect tie.

Gerald tilted his head forward so their foreheads were in contact, and his hands framed the bottom of her face to bring her up into a long, slow, tasteful kiss. "I'll call you tonight." He repeated in a whisper.

She nodded, her eyes closed.

"Bye," he kissed the tip of her nose.

"Bye."

He let go and walked through the door, taking one last look at Kim before disappearing into the day.

She was so in love with him, it made her heart ache for him to love her back.

SORRY I HAVEN'T BEEN UPDATING SUPER FAST LATELY. BUT I AM STILL HERE, STILL WRITING. I'M REALLY LIKING THIS CHAPTER IF I SAY SO MYSELF. I AM STILL A KIMERALD FAN, STILL THINKING THEY ARE TOGETHER, DESPITE THE NASTY THINGS GOING ON OUT THERE. I'VE BEEN LOOKING AT SOME PICTURES LATELY, AND HAVE BEEN ASKING MYSELF "HOW COULD ANYONE SAY THAT THESE PHOTOS ARE FORCED?" THEY WERE OLD AND NEW PHOTOS OF KIMERALD BACKSTAGE, OFFSTAGE ON CAMERA BEING HAPPY. I READ A COUPLE OF ARTICLES SAYING THAT GERALD WAS JUST STRINGING KIM ALONG, THAT HE NEVER MEANT ANY OF THOSE THINGS HE SAID ABOUT HIM. YOU KNOW WHAT I SAY TO THEM? HATERS!!!!!! YOU ARE ALL HATERS! AND I HATE HATERS! AND YOU KNOW WHAT, EVEN IF THEY HAVE SEPARATED, THEY CAN BE WITH ANYONE THEY WANT TO BE. SO YES, I AM A KIMERALD TOGETHER FAN, AND A KIMERALD SEPARATED FAN, BECAUSE I JUST WANT THEM TO BE HAPPY [THOUGHT I PREFER AND PRAY THEY ARE TOGETHER]. STAY TUNED FOR MORE!