Wait....what?

Life is a game but this isn't

Delphine stared at her reflection a halfhearted smile on her face.  While she was happy for her cousin a wedding was just another reminder of all the things she didn’t have and what she was certain she wouldn’t have for a long time.  Sung-hee and Brie told her time and again the dress she had picked out was beautiful and complimented her shape well but Delphine just couldn’t bring herself to believe it.  When she was with Sung-hee and Brie she loved the dress and felt that for once her family, besides her uncle, would see the woman she had grown up to be.  But, standing in her room alone even with her matching black heels and black clutch she felt inadequate.  Growling she resisted the urge to run her fingers through her perfectly curled hair.  “Yes let’s have a black and white wedding because it will be so much fun!  Because all the single women clearly want to wear black while going to a wedding it makes them feel so cheery!” 

Neon naui energy neoramyeon mwodeun energy Supa Lover geonjeonji you and I we’re meant to be

She knew exactly who was calling.  “I’m on my way you freaks.”  Flipping the phone open she sighed before mumbling a hello.

“Delphine!  Where are you all the other bridesmaids are here!”

It took every ounce of restraint Delphine had to not yell at her mother.  While she was a sweet woman and understood Delphine almost as well as her uncle she was also rather forgetful.  “Mom I’m not a bridesmaid remember she picked Akira instead of me.”

There was a sharp intake of breath on the other end and Delphine nearly rolled her eyes.  Her mother always thought that she was a member of the procession for some odd reason.  “Oh I’m sorry honey everything is just so hectic here I-”

“Don’t worry mom I understand I’m on my way I’ll be there in half an hour.”

“Okay honey I’ll see you in a little bit I love you.”

Delphine looked in the mirror one last time and sighed lightly.  “Yeah I love you too.”  Ending the call she smoothed out the dress and put her phone in the clutch.  “Okay you can leave after the cake is cut just pretend your stomach is hurting pretend your stomach is hurting.”  Sighing she left the apartment and practically dragged her feet to the elevator.  “Why didn’t I take up Sung-hee on that offer?  Oh yeah because if I show up with another girl they’ll think I’m gay.  There is nothing wrong with being single right?!”  Only after she stamped her foot and looked around did she realize that someone was next to her and she had screamed the last bit.  Needless to say they took the stairs.

“Delphine!”  Turning she saw Anthony Fey from the apartment across the hall.  He was a sculptor as well who lived with his girlfriend who was working on a novel at the moment.  “Where are you going so dressed up?”  Delphine had to admit that if he wasn’t dating then she would have tried to get with him a long, long time ago but she respected him dating Beth and they were a cute couple as much as she hated to admit it.

Smiling she shrugged and turned back to the elevator just in time for it to open.  “My cousin’s getting married today.” 

Anthony slid into the elevator just before it closed and smiled, “Oh well congrats to her but you’re wearing black to a summer wedding?”

Knowing that question would come up she shrugged and picked at the lint of the dress.  “It’s a black and white theme apparently all the girls where black and the boys white but the bride wears white as well to symbolize them becoming one or some crap yadda yadda yadda.”  After she spoke she realized how insensitive it was and nearly beat her head against the elevator door.  At least I’m getting it all out before the wedding. 

Anthony chuckled at Delphine’s annoyed tone he had seen the girl explode many times over sculptors so it was interesting to see her angry over something else.  “Ouch someone doesn’t sound too excited.”

Sighing she shrugged a little bit, “I am it’s just I hate that I’m going by myself.”

“Why don’t you ask that friend of yours that comes up here?”  To her he looked far to adorable when he was confused.  Thankfully she was past the point where she would hate that he was adorable and that allowed her to actually appreciate the friendship he offered.

“I bring one more girl to a wedding and I’m fairly certain my family will no longer believe me when I say I’m straight as it is they barely do.”  Stepping out of the elevator she expected for the two of them to go their separate ways but instead Anthony followed her towards the door.  Not that she minded the company especially when she hoped that it would put her in a good mood before the wedding started. 

He pouted and wrapped his arm around her in a quick side hug much to her surprise and nearly embarrassed her as her face flushed dark for half a second.  “Awww well I would have gone with you if you asked I’ve got a white suit you know.”

Glancing over at him she smiled but shook her head.  “That’s sweet Anthony but if I was going to go with someone I’d want it to be someone I was with or something I liked.”

He placed his hand over his heart and extravagantly pretended to cry.  “Gasp!  You don’t like me?  I’m going to tell my mother on you and she won’t be happy!”

Rolling her eyes she playfully smacked Anthony’s arm while glancing around at the people that were watching.  Usually she didn’t mind his antics but dressed the way she was for some reason she felt a little bit out of place.  “Oh shut up Anthony you know what I mean.  Where are you headed anyway?”

Straightening up he jutted his thumb to the left before opening the door for her.  “Down to the store the girl friend needs more paper she’s burning through it with all her rough drafts.”

“Well tell her I said hello and that she needs to come over for tea soon.”

Nodded he turned to the left and turned back so he was walking backwards while waving.  “I will.  And have fun at the wedding!  You never know you may meet someone there.”  As soon as he finished speaking he turned back around to just narrowly avoid hitting someone else right in the face.

Laughing Delphine hailed a taxi and after a few minutes managed to get one.  Showing him the address on the invitation and ordering him to step on it she leaned back into the seat sighing.  The closer she got to the church though the faster her good mood faded.  For the life of her she couldn’t understand why she was having such a problem with this particular wedding.  Maybe it was because everyone in her family was getting married.  Literally she was the only one left in her twenties that wasn’t married.  Sure she was only twenty one but that didn’t account for much when your twenty two year old cousin was about to tie the knot and your twenty year old sister was engaged.  Yes her sister was engaged before she was.  “Maybe that’s what’s bothering me.”  She mumbled to herself before reasoning that wasn’t it since the engagement happened months ago. 

“We’re here miss.” 

“What?”  Looking up she saw quite a few people gathering around the building and she saw honestly thought it was a beautiful choice.  There was a beautiful archway in the front and the steps were lined with people and for a second the black and white concept fit in Delphine’s mind.  Quickly paying the driver she got out of the car and greeted a few people on the steps. 

“Delphine it’s so nice to see you!  That dress looks lovely on you!”  It was her cousin’s mother Airi and though she was a bit annoyed with her constant nagging over the past few weeks Delphine greeted her with a warm smile and hug. 

“It’s great to see you too.”  For a second Delphine almost pulled out the money to help pay for the wedding right then and there but she restrained herself knowing it was proper to wait until after the wedding.  “Where is Hanako?” 

“She’s upstairs your mother is doing her hair right now so I wouldn’t disturb her but have a look around the coordinators did a wonderful job even the garden in the back looks breath taking!”  Of course she was excited who wouldn’t be to see their daughter getting married after such a long engagement but it was all Delphine could do to keep the smile on her face.  Seeing the chance to escape she quickly said goodbye to both of them and made her way into the foyer.  White roses were placed beautifully and white and black clothes hung in just the right place to be tasteful.  To her left she saw the large double doors where the receptions would be held.  It looked absolutely beautiful and the guilt for being in such a bad mood increased. 

“I’m supposed to be happy I’m supposed to be happy.”  She muttered over and over again only stopping to greet a few of her family members and some people she didn’t even know or remember.  But one thing was for sure Airi was right the garden was amazing.  Around the edges trees of all species lined the walls with black and white streamers hung between them.  Flowers had been planted just for the occasion specific to the bride’s request and around ninety chairs were set up with a rock pathway between them leading up to a beautiful fountain where the bride and groom were going to be married.  “Screw it I’m going to be sad and not a damn thing is going to change that.”

She spent the next hour or so switching from Japanese for her family to Korean for the groom’s family with a headache developing in the back of her head.  Trying her best to ignore it she managed to get some Advil from her mother but when she looked at the two pills that were given to her she knew they wouldn’t be enough.  Does this woman not remember it takes like six Tylenol PM to even make me sort of drowsy?  Still an edge of the headache would be better than nothing. 

The groom was sweet.  She had decided that when she actually got a chance to talk to him and find out he didn’t understand the whole black and white theme either.  He would have preferred a black suit because apparently he was a messy eater.  They talked for quite a while actually and he thanked her several times for actually talking instead of congratulating it calmed his nerves apparently  Too bad their talking sparked a bit of annoyance through some of her family.  Especially out of Airi who was convinced that she was trying to get with her daughter’s soon to be husband. 

“Just because you’re the only one here without a date doesn’t mean you need to cozy up with the groom!”

“We were just talking besides last wedding I remember you asking me if I was a lesbian so why does this even bother you.  Her husband is not my type at all and for your information I had a date he just couldn’t make it.”  Delphine wasn’t sure where that came from but she was glad for it as it finally shut Airi up.  Too bad I didn’t even have a date to begin with.  With a final nod she left the hushed conversation to go register in the guest book her present for the couple.  It wasn’t much only some money but it would be enough for a good portion of rent and Delphine knew if she was getting married that’s what she would want. 

Fifteen minutes later everyone was ushered outside where the wedding was supposed to be held.  Delphine took her seat in the back while everyone else tried to get the best seats in the front first.  There were only a few people on Delphine’s row but that was the way she wanted it.  As the groom stood there waiting Delphine’s mind, for half a second, flashed to Seung Ho.  Shaking her head furiously she tried to get rid of the image but to no avail.  Why now huh?  Out of all the times to think about him now?  Does my brain hate me?  Even as the wedding march started and Hanako walked down the aisle she couldn’t get her mind off Seung Ho no matter how beautiful the dress was or how eloquent the speaker was.  I need to stop coming to these they only emphasis my loneliness.      

When the ceremony ended it took all Delphine had to not run out of the area and to hide in the bathroom for the next few hours.  But she kept up her respectful façade and waited for the couple to walk down the aisle as man and wife before heading to the bathroom.  Checking the stalls quickly she put her palms on either side of the sink and sighed.  “Okay you can do this just wait until after the bouquet toss and you’ll be allowed to go home.  It’s not like you have to give some important speech.”  Reaching into her clutch she checked her phone only to see a voicemail and a missed call from Sung-hee.  Is she coming?

“Hey best friend I was going to try and surprise you at the wedding today but Kaang-ssi made Sanghyun and I go to some interview or something so it looks like we’re both stuck in places we don’t want to be.  Call me after you get home I’ll come over if I can.  Love you best friend!” 

The mechanical woman asked if she wanted to hear the message again but before she could even finish Delphine had deleted it already.  “Okay you can do this.”  Splashing some more water on her face she headed out of the bathroom and into the reception area just in time to see the bride and groom finish thanking everyone for coming out.  Their first dance stared and while she wanted to watch she was terrified of thinking about Seung Ho again.  Instead she headed to the bar and hoped to drown her unhappiness in it.  “Is this open?” 

The bartender nodded, “What can I get you?”

“Soju over ice.”  He nodded and a few seconds later he gave her a highball glass filled halfway with Soju and a few pieces of ice.  With the sweetest songs playing in the background drinking alone seemed to not fit the atmosphere at all.  Turning around she saw that Hanako was dancing with her father and a soft smile came to her lips.  Hanako really did deserve it from what Delphine had seen she had an amazing man who would take care of her.  Truly she was happy for her cousin but she couldn’t seem to get over her own issues to express it properly. 

Three songs and a glass and a half of Soju later she didn’t feel much better.  If anything she felt worse.  “Well this is no way to spend your time as a wedding guest attached at the hip to the bar.”  Recognizing that voice anywhere she turned to find Seung Ho smiling down at her.  This was the first time she was seeing his new hair in person and with the white suit he wore he pulled it off better than anyone else there. 

Swallowing her nervousness she placed the glass on the counter and slid off the seat with a small almost teasing smile.  “The bride won’t be very happy to find you wearing a black shirt.” 

He stepped closer with a shy smile on his lips.  “Maybe but I figured why not match the girl that I’m coming here for?”  Her heart fluttered so quickly she thought it might fly out of her chest.  Why does he have to say things like that?  Does he not understand what he does to me? 

“You came for me?”

“Well of course who else would I come for?”  He smiled and moved to stand next to her so they were both looking out at the crowd.  “Unless you’re not happy to see me I can leave then.”  He pretended to start to leave but Delphine reached out to grab his hand before she could stop herself. 

“No I’m happy you came.”  Happy didn’t even begin to describe it but she couldn’t tell him exactly how she felt that would just lead to disaster no matter how many times she told herself that someone who was just a friend wouldn’t do this.  “Just a little surprised is all.”  At his confused expression she bit her lip and glanced down at their still connected hands but made no move to remove it and neither did he.  “I mean aren’t you busy preparing for your comeback and concert?”

Seung Ho glanced down at their hands before letting her hand go only to link arms with her.  “Yes but that doesn’t mean I don’t want to see you.  Now introduce me to those parents of yours I’ve heard so much about.”  He gave her a dazzling smile before she could even think about saying no.

Dumbfounded she looked around the room and spotted them at the table they had been assigned talking to each other quietly.  Well this will be a shock of their life.  “Come on then you.”  She led him over slowly pretending that it was the heels fault but she was really trying to find out how she was going to explain that she knew an idol and he had randomly decided to show up to her cousin’s wedding.  Unfortunately for Delphine her mother spotted her and grabbed her father’s hand to meet them halfway. 

“Delphine who is this?”  Her mother asked her in Japanese and before Delphine could even respond Seung Ho bowed and introduced himself in Japanese. 

“It’s nice to meet you Mr. and Mrs. Kita.”  Clearly her parents were surprised to find him speaking Japanese and while he wasn’t the best at it the fact that he was attempting was wonderful in their books.  A bubble of pride welled up in Delphine’s chest especially at her mother’s shocked expression.

Her mother smiled a little bit and looked Seung Ho up and down sizing up his worthiness and so far from what Delphine could tell she was pleased.  “You as well Seung Ho.  How is it that you know our daughter?”

Panicking a bit Delphine looked over to Seung Ho who kept a calm expression just the hint of a smile on his face as his eyes flickered to Delphine for just a moment.  “She’s dating a close friend of mine so I’ve known her for a little while.”

Delphine was a little surprised her mother didn’t put together that he was an idol yet since to Delphine that was a pretty big hint considering the only friend that Delphine had that was dating anyone in Korea was Sung-hee.  “Oh I see Delphine dear why didn’t you tell us you would be bringing a guest.”

His smile widened and he shrugged a little bit this time his eyes met Delphine’s and he held her gaze for a moment before answering.  “I surprised her.  I didn’t know about the wedding until last night and I wasn’t sure if I was going to be able to come.”

With a small hm and a nod her mother grabbed her hand and pulled her close before leaning up to her husband’s ear.  “Talk to him.”  Her mother whispered to her father not too quietly before she excused herself and Delphine over to the other side of the room where Seung Ho and her father were still in clear view.  “Why didn’t you tell us about him?”

Sighing exasperated Delphine shook her head a bit.  “He’s not my boyfriend mother.”

This clearly shocked the older woman as she looked from Seung Ho to Delphine and back again several times before she was able to find her words again.  “What?  Seems to me he should be coming all the way here for a wedding that he doesn’t even care about to make sure you’re not alone?  Why aren’t you dating him yet?”

A dark blush appeared on Delphine’s face and she avoided her mother’s knowing gaze.  Explaining her fears of dating to her mother always ended in her being reminded that she wasn’t getting younger and to start taking bigger chances in her life.  “Because he’s a good friend mom and I don’t want to lose him and two he’s an idol for god sakes do you really think it’s wise to start up a relationship with an idol?”

“Your friend is.”

“Sung-hee’s different.”

“How so?”

Flustered Delphine looked away from her her teeth and tapping her foot trying to come up with a proper response.  “She-she well she-she just is alright?”

At this her mother softened and placed a hand on her daughter’s shoulder.  “Honey I know you’re scared but if you let someone like him go I’m afraid I won’t be able to allow you into my house anymore.  I’d like to see both of my daughters happy at your sister’s wedding.”

“Mom-”

“No buts I know you’re scared because of status and the past but honey you’re not getting any younger and if you keep letting chances slip by then you’ll regret it later in live.”  Delphine glanced over to see Seung Ho and her father laughing boisterously and she couldn’t help but smile forgetting for a second her mother was there.  “So let’s go to them shall we?  And if you don’t dance with him when we get back I’ll make you dance with your father.”  With the threat of having to dance with her totally uncoordinated father Delphine gulped and nodded, letting her mother lead her back to the other two.

Conversation continued lightly for another song or two before Delphine’s mother nudged her and she could have sworn out of the corner of her eyes she saw her father nudge Seung Ho.  Gathering up her courage she started to ask him if he wanted to dance but he beat her to it.  Shocked for a second she almost didn’t give a timely response till her mother nudged her again and she nodded.  Offering her his hand he led her to the dance floor just as One Love by Loveholic began to play.  She placed one hand hesitantly on her shoulder as the other remained in his hand and she nearly shivered when his other hand touched her waist. 

Gliding across the dance floor she smiled up at him.  “I hope my dad didn’t scare you too much he can be an odd one sometimes.”  Despite the fact there weren’t many people on the dance floor she felt completely comfortable with Seung Ho barely even paying attention to the bride and groom that had taken a break from dancing as well. 

Seung Ho shook his head a bit and unconsciously pulled her a little closer as his eyes flickered over to see a few boys looking at them.  “No he was fine he seems to be a lot like you or should I say you’re a lot like him?” 

Laughing a little as he turned them to face the other way she smiled up at him noticing that in her heels if she moved forward just a little but she’d be able to kiss him.  “I’m not sure if I should take that as a compliment.”

“You should.”  He chuckled a little bit surprising her, “He started to give me the rules for dating you.”

Blushing furiously she tried to hide her face in his chest only to remember that it was his chest and instantly pulled back her blush even darker now.  “What?  Aish he’s so embarrassing sometimes.  You told him we weren’t right?”

He was silent for a while giving her hope which she furiously tried to stomp back down.  “Yeah…right.”  Feeling her embarrassment reach new levels she decided to change the subject to a new sculptor she had been working on.  Somehow over the course of two songs he had convinced her to let him come over some time and see the new work in progress.  And they danced together for a third song before Seung Ho glanced at her heels and decided that they should probably take a break even though Delphine didn’t even notice her feet aching until after they sat down.

Once they sat down though they didn’t get back up or even paid attention to anything else for that matter they were talking so intently.  That was until the tossing of the bouquet was about to happen and her mother refused to let her sit on the sidelines for that.  Delphine of course never caught the bouquet so she stood in the middle not really caring.  Well that was until the flowers landed in her hands.  Not believing it for a second she looked around at everyone else who looked just as stunned as she did.  “I actually…”  Not able to finish the sentence she went back to the table to a smiling Seung Ho.

“I wonder who the lucky guy is.”  Before she was able to respond her father pulled Seung Ho up telling him that he was going to have to participate in the garter throw as a single man.  Glancing over at Delphine briefly she shrugged and he headed over to the small crowd that had gathered. 

“Yeah…I wonder.”  She smiled as she turned away from him and took her seat.  But the flowers nearly dropped out of her hands the second that Seung Ho actually caught the garter.  Instantly his eyes met hers and she looked away blushing.

Nudging her gently her mother gave her a wink.  “If that’s not a sign I don’t know what is.”  The rest of the night for Delphine was a little bit awkward knowing that Seung Ho caught the garter and she caught the bouquet.  Trying to imagine him with anyone else made her burn with jealous rage but at the same time she knew it wasn’t right to be so selfish about it when he wasn’t even dating her.  In the back of her mind though she was starting to wonder and that extra glass of Soju probably wasn’t helping either. 

She ended up saying goodbye to everyone around eight only to be surprised once again to have Seung Ho join her in the cab back to her house.  His reasoning that since she was dressed so nicely and had a bit of alcohol in her system he didn’t trust her going home by herself.  Of course she spent the entire time convincing him she was fine and that getting back to her apartment wouldn’t be a problem.  But he insisted to not only pay for the cab but walk her up to the apartment as well. 

As they reached her apartment he leaned against the wall one hand in his pocket and a gentle smile on his face.  “I had a lot of fun by the way.”

Delphine laughed a little shaking her head in disbelief.  “Really?  At a wedding with a bunch of people that you don’t know?”

He searched her face for a long time before shrugging and adjusting his position against the wall.  “You were there and that’s enough for me.”

Blushing for what felt like the thousandth time that night she looked away from him and fiddled with the fabric of her skirt once more.  “You need to stop saying things like that you’ll give a girl the wrong impression.”

Without even skipping a beat he moved closer to her his eyes smoldering.  “What if it’s the impression I want to give?”

“I-erm goodnight Seung Ho.”  Without thinking about it she leaned forward and kissed his cheek.  Realizing her mistake of sorts she started to fumble with her apartment code not even paying attention to Seung Ho mumbling now or never. 

“Delphine?”

His voice was nervous but she was so nervous that she didn’t even pay attention to that.  After fumbling with the lock one more time she finally looked up and replied, “Yeah?”  But he didn’t speak instead he quickly leaned forward and pressed his lips against hers in a gentle kiss.  She took a while to respond, so long in fact that Seung Ho started to pull away but Delphine would have none of it and grabbed the front of his shirt holding him there as she finally kissed him back.  They stayed like that for a while the kiss nervous but expressive not slow but not exactly suggestive either. 

After a little while he pulled away and breathlessly whispered goodnight to her.  “Goodnight.”  She whispered just as breathless.  Just as he pushed off the wall she grabbed his hand her eyes hopeful.  “What does this make us?”

He smiled and kissed her forehead gently, “Together…that is if you want to be.”  He added biting the inside of his lower lip waiting for some kind of response.  Unable to form any coherent sentences for a moment she nodded and he took that as all the permission he needed to claim her lips again.  This time though the nervousness from before disappeared instead it was replaced with the same comfort they both felt while on the dance floor.  Finally he said goodnight a final time and she returned the gestured finally finding her voice again.  In a daze she entered her apartment leaning against the door still trying to wrap her mind around what happened.  A few minutes later she got a call knowing instantly by the ring tone that it was Sung-hee.

“Hey.”

“Hey, why do you sound out of breath?”

“You’ll never guess what just happened to me.”

 

 


I know what you're probably thinking.  What the heck why did you write this whole thing about Delphine and Seung Ho?  Well my lovely readers there are several reasons.  One because I freaking love the pair and I love Delphine so she deserved some time.  Two I need it for plot later and three it started out as half a chapter but I had too much fun writing it so yeah.  Aren't they cute though???  You can't tell me that end didn't make you smile because I know I was cheesin' writing it.