Reunion

Life is a game but this isn't

“You didn’t!”

“I did.”

“You didn’t!”

“I did.”

“You didn’t!”  Delphine peered at Sung-hee closely, observing the look in her eyes, the subtle, happy glow of her skin and an unmistakable look of happiness.  “Oh my god you did!”  Delphine reached forward and playfully shoved Sung-hee’s shoulder before the girls erupted into a fit of excited giggled grabbing each other’s hands and jumping up and down right outside the Bulgogi shop they were going to have lunch.  Delphine cut her giggling short pulling her inside the restaurant quickly.  “You have to tell me everything!”

Before Sung-hee could respond a woman in her late twenties appeared to guide them to a seat.  “Hello, welcome to- Sung-hee?  Is that you?”  The woman stopped reaching for a couple of menus and met Sung-hee’s gaze. 

“You remember me?”  The surprise was evident on Sung-hee’s face and though Delphine wanted to ask she remained quiet not wanting to interrupt whatever was going on there exactly. 

“Of course! Who could forget you?”  She turned to Delphine and gave a small bow.  “Excuse me I’m Iva your friend use to come here after school nearly every day with her brother and those other theater kids.” 

“Order the same thing every time I’m sure.”  Delphine teased lightly Sung-hee had been known to order the same thing at the restaurants that she frequented.  Even Dunkin Donuts she got the same thing every time.

Puffing up her cheeks Sung-hee poked Delphine in the side.  “There is nothing wrong with ordering the same thing if it’s good thank you.” 

Before the two could start a playful fight Iva interrupted with a smile still on her face.  “Hey I heard the old group is coming today are you here to meet them?”  Iva realized that was the wrong thing to say when Sung-hee’s face suddenly fell into a disgruntled frown.  “Um anyway let me take you to your seat.”  She motioned for the two to follow her, the atmosphere turning more and more awkward by the second.  They took a seat by the window and were left to look over the menu. 

Delphine put her menu to the side already knowing that’d she would order whatever Sung-hee did since their tastes in food was similar though Sung-hee’s appetite was a little larger than her own.  “So what was that all about?” 

While Delphine was filled in on Sung-hee’s time and theater and how much she actually enjoyed it the other parts of it not so much.  Because, in Sung-hee’s mind, the reasons for the falling out was petty and stupid not to mention she felt ridiculous talking about it.  “I did use to come here during high school up until I started dating Lee and I started to focus more and more on art instead of both.  Well after high school I lost touch with a lot of them and then when word got out I was dating Sanghyun they stopped trying to contact me all together.”

Leaning back Delphine pouted a little while tugging at the ends of her hair.  “Well jealous much?  You would think that they would try and get on your good side again.” 

Sung-hee laughed boisterously at this with Delphine joining her after a moment or two.  Neither could stand those types of people.  “Eww if people did that I don’t know if I would smack them or laugh.  But I guess people react different ways honestly I’m not really worried about them none of them were really that great of friends anyway.”

Moments later a male waiter appeared and took their drink orders, water with two lemons for Sung-hee and Sunkist Cherry Aid for Delphine.  As soon as the waiter disappeared Delphine leaned in close and motioned for Sung-hee to do the same.  “So now I’m forcing you to tell me all the dirty details.  When did it happen?”

She wanted to be mature about it, really she did, but a fit of giggles took over at Delphine’s expression and how excited she was about it.  “The night of the incident.”  After Thunder and Sung-hee had a long talk about what happened the night after when he got back from the photo shoot they agreed it was behind them.  And no one wanted to directly name what happened anymore. 

“You sly devil that was three days ago and you’re just telling me this now?  Holding out on me are you?” 

Grinning Sung-hee stuck her tongue out at her.  “Well I was with the guys the day after and I couldn’t really tell you when you were out shopping for a new ride, I like the motorcycle by the way, and then we couldn’t talk about it at work.” 

“Sure we could have those other girls talk about their life all the time.”

Rolling her eyes Sung-hee flicked Delphine’s forehead lightly but the younger girl still made a show of rubbing the afflicted spot with a pout.  “I’d like to have a little more class than those other girls in my room.”  Being the new girls Sung-hee and Delphine had been placed in a room with about four other painters.  All of whom were skilled but had a habit of acting unprofessional every chance they got.  A few more good paintings and small figurines and Sung-hee figured she’d be able to move rooms. 

“Fine, fine we’ll have more class than them at work but here you have to tell me everything.”  She scooted closer to which Sung-hee laughed and was about to grant her friend’s wish until the waiter came back by.  They separated quickly and Sung-hee flashed him a smile before ordering spicy chicken Bulgogi and Delphine did the same.  As soon as he left she turned back to Sung-hee a tiny bit annoyed at the continuous interruptions.  “So?”

Sighing, Sung-hee resting her elbows on the table and her chin was cradled in the palms of her hand comfortably.  “Well what do you want to know first?”  She loved teasing her friend maybe a little too much.

“Oh come on,” rolling her eyes Delphine tugged at the ends of her hair, “well how was it?  I mean is he a freak in the sheets or is he a dud?”

Eyes wide Sung-hee tried to stifle her laughter, “Freak in the-” She couldn’t stop laughed and covered her eyes with one hand and Delphine couldn’t help but join her.  After a few minutes she was able to calm down and took a sip of her water the waiter had brought by a few minutes ago.  “I don’t think freak in the sheets is an appropriate term for it,” she giggled a little just saying it, “Actually I’m not sure there is a word for it really I would say indescribable but that’s cheesy.  It wasn’t like with Lee even when I was in love with him and I never trusted him like I trusted Sanghyun.” 

“Oh you little cheese ball you aren’t you just so cute with your blushing and your indescribable y time.” 

She hid herself behind her hands shaking her head in disbelief.  “I am not blushing!”

Delphine pulled her hands down a cheeky grin on her face as Sung-hee tried to cover her face once more.  She hadn’t expected for Sung-hee to get that red though but that was half the fun.  “You are tomato red don’t even.”

Once she had her blush under control Sung-hee looked up and pointed an accusing finger at Delphine a pout on her lips for a second but she couldn’t keep the smile off her face for too long.  “You know what, when you have it’s payback time missy I’ll get you.”

That was something that Delphine had already expected but she knew no matter how many times she told Sung-hee she’d take it with pride she knew that her reaction would be the same.  For now though she would just enjoy the teasing she would be able to deliver before she was on the receiving end.  Not that she imagined herself getting laid any time soon.  “I should enjoy myself while I can then?  So was this an all-night adventure or was it a quickie?”  Instantly the blush returned to Sung-hee’s face and she smacked Delphine’s arm.  “What?  I’m serious!”

Rolling her eyes Sung-hee smiled and shrugged a little, “Do you honestly think I’d go cheese ball over a quickie?” 

Another giggle and squealing fest ensued followed by a ramblings of ‘I know right’ ‘really’ ‘I’m so jealous’ and a few other excited comments one would expect from a typical teenage movie as best friends discussed their first time.  They didn’t get to rejoice much longer.  A few minutes after their food arrived, a large group of people arrived greeting Iva like long lost friends.  With a squeak Sung-hee tried to find something to hide herself. 

“What are you doing?” 

“That group of people behind you-don’t make it obvious!  That group of people behind you all of them are the old theater kids and I don’t want them to know I’m here.  Especially Jihoon.” 

Delphine started to turn back around to the group that had a few people looking over at them now in confusion trying to place where they knew them from.  “Who?”

Sung-hee lowered her voice to such a whisper that Delphine had to turn back around to her to be able to hear.  “The guy in the black fitted cap he had a huge crush on me and we were talking but then I started dating Lee and he hates me.”  Looking up she met eyes with a few of the people a whisper going through them as they made their way to their sears and she sighed, “Actually now that I think about it Lee’s the better reason they all hate me now.  I turned into some kind of crazy person when I was dating him.”

“That’s the past though, he still can’t hate you.”

“Sure they can.”

“Well if they’re that petty why bother with them in the first place?”

“Doesn’t matter, I still wish I never met Lee though I guess,” She chewed on her lower lip for a bit, “I guess if I hadn’t I never would have met Sanghyun.”

Delphine nodded, “And then we would just be average fangirls of MBLAQ and what a sad life that would be.” 

Sung-hee smiled and moved back so the meat and side dishes could be set down.  She tried not to eat her rice or the rest of her food too quickly but seeing and smelling the chicken was enough to make her stomach grumble.  As always the pair clanked their chopsticks together before digging in.  “Not too sad I ho-”

“Sung-hee Park what a surprise to see you here.”  With a mouth full of food Sung-hee looked up to find Jina a girl that had once been one of Sung-hee’s closest friends.  Her hand was firmly planted on the table and a sneer set on her lips.  “I’m surprised they allow you to walk around all by yourself the basket case that you are.” 

Jina had been known for her vicious remarks and making even the most confident of people feel like a useless heap in their high school days together.  She was a typical queenka that most wrote about in their stories and oddly enough all her other friends were sweet.  Sung-hee of course knew that Jina was just riding off her older sister’s reputation at their school to get what she wanted.  “Do you honestly expect that to bother me?  You should know me well enough for that.”

“You know, I’ve been wondering how is it a girl like you managed to get an idol?  Did you put a spell on him or something?”

In that instant Sung-hee’s good mood almost disappeared.  But instead she tried to focus on her food and began eating once again.  She should have expected this from Jina and there wasn’t any way she was coming down from cloud nine not yet anyway.  Turning to Delphine she winked signaling for her to play along.  “We have that meeting with the other witches and wizards later, don’t we?  Is it our turn to bring the frog legs right?”

Trying to keep in her laughter Delphine nodded, “Yeah its tonight and I’m bringing pigs’ feet as well.”  She turned to Jina with a big smile on her lips though there was malice in her eyes.  “You should come too Jina it will be lots of fun.  We all wear pointed hats and cackle over a cauldron.” 

Sung-hee couldn’t hold back her laughter anymore and leaned her head on the table trying to be as quiet as possible.  Jina looked between the two and scoffed, “Freaks.”  Dissatisfied that her quips hadn’t ruined either one of their good moods Jina stomped back over to her table where the rest of her crowd was waiting for her.  Delphine started laughing with Sung-hee the second that Jina turned her back and they began playing with their chopsticks as if they were swords.

“And smash,” Delphine held her chopstick right in front of Sung-hee’s nose, “the enemy is dead!” 

“Have I mentioned lately that I love you?”

“You might have mentioned it.”

The rest of their meal was relatively silent in comparison to before with light conversation of Sung-hee’s weekend and Delphine’s car hunt.  At first she had been nervous about getting a motorcycle but so far she really enjoyed having one especially since it was a lot easier to find a parking space now.  While they were waiting at the front to pay Delphine revealed that her cousin was getting married in about two weeks.  Sung-hee of course asked if Delphine wanted her to come but she quickly denied Sung-hee.  “If I show up to another wedding with a girl instead of a guy my family will start thinking I’m lesbian I’ve had enough fun trying to convince them otherwise.”

This of course instantly got the gears in Sung-hee’s head turning and she was already coming up with a little plan to help Delphine out.  She’ll thank me for it eventually.  “Aw well alright if you change your mind let me know you know how much I love weddings.” 

“Yeah, yeah.”  Delphine linked arms with Sung-hee as they headed back to the streets.  “What shall we do now?

OK, girl neoegeman yes man mweodeunji da haejulge OK, girl ijebuteo nikkeoya I love you

With a silently raised brow Sung-hee fished around her purse for her phone.  “Hold that thought.  Hello?”

“How’s it going Sung-hee?”

Shock covered Sung-hee’s face and she waved Delphine away when she started asking who it was.  “Brie?  What’s up?”

“Oh I’m in town and Hyo dropped me off at this Dunkin Donut’s shop saying that it was the best place to meet you and that friend of yours Delphine was her name right?”

“Yeah I’m with her now.   Why didn’t you tell me you were coming into town today?  We would have met up with you already!”

“Well I didn’t know I would be coming in today.  Just get your over here and I’ll forgive you I’ve got loads to tell you and I want to meet Delphine.  Father says she’s just like me.”

“She is.  We’ll be there soon just grab a table for three people okay?”

“Alright see you soon.”

Sung-hee pocketed her phone and informed Delphine what was happening.  Without a moment’s hesitation Delphine steered them towards the donut shop a small smile on her face.  “I’m excited to meet her Suk-ssi said that she’s like me right?”

“Yup except for the artist part.  I wonder what she’s here for though she doesn’t usually pop up unannounced especially for a trip that takes her this far.”  So either something really fantastic or something really awful happened.  Hana couldn’t be in trouble already could she?  I haven’t even gotten to see her yet.  But her voice didn’t sound upset if anything she sounded really excited.  With the wheels still turning and explaining Brie’s personality to Delphine they made their way to Dunkin Donuts. 

~~~~~~

“You’re getting what?!” Sung-hee nearly jumped out of her seat when Brie held out a beautiful engagement ring a large smile on her lips.  They had been at Dunkin Donuts for about an hour catching up on old times and Brie got to know Delphine a little better.  While Delphine was hesitant at first, that quickly faded when their common interest in sculpting, bands and movies. 

“That’s right!  Tyler finally proposed!” 

“Only took him what five years?” 

“Shut it Park!”

The grin on both of their faces widened as Brie held out her ring in the middle of the table for both of them to see better.  Delphine angled Brie’s hand up a bit so the ring caught the light better.  “Dang girl that’s quite a rock you got there.” 

“It was his grandmother’s she gave it to him when he visited California a couple of weeks ago.  I guess he took it as the official blessing from her cause he asked me the day he got back.”  Sung-hee and Delphine glanced at each other knowingly as Brie gushed over the ring.  When Brie realized that Delphine didn’t know what Tyler looked like she whipped out her phone and showed a few pictures.

“Aren’t they going to have the prettiest mixed babies ever?”

“Sung-hee’s right you are.  Are his eyes seriously that green?”

Brie laughed blushing a little bit as she took her phone back and pocketed it.  “I would have just sent an invitation but I was wondering if you would both like to be bridesmaids?”  Shock became evident on both of their faces, “Delphine I know I don’t know you very well but I will be here for the next two weeks while Tyler is in Japan and like I said it’s a while from now.  So what do you two think?”

Sung-hee leaned back in her chair and sipped on the coffee that was nearly cold now before smiling.  “You know I’m in.  What about you Delphine?”  Brie and Sung-hee looked over at Delphine who had yet to say a word on the matter.

Taking a sip of her own coffee she looked over at Brie.  “I know you don’t want to leave me out and everything but,” Brie bit her lip worriedly but Delphine smiled a little, “if you want to get to know me enough by that time we’re going to need Harry Potter marathons and lots of candy.”

A wide smile covered Brie’s face her eyes sparkling like a child on Christmas.  “You like Harry Potter?” 

Delphine laughed knowing that Brie didn’t know the extent of her love for Harry Potter yet.  She already knew that when she watched the last movie she was going to cry her eyes out.  “Addicted is more like it.”  Next to her Sung-hee nodded in agreement.

Brie looked between the two for a few moments before grinning and held out her hand all too happy to get to know Delphine better now.  “I believe this is the start of a beautiful friendship.”  The two shook hands as if to solidify their friendship.  “So we’ll have to have a marathon soon all three of us because I know Sung-hee would hate to miss out on one.”    

Sung-hee laughed and nodded while she wasn’t as obsessed as Delphine was but Harry Potter would forever be her favorite movie series with the Scream movies in second.  “Yeah just keep me out of the wedding planning you can use Delphine for that.”

“Listen to this girl can you imagine what’s going to happen when she gets married?”

“Oh lord she’ll need our help or she’ll never survive.”

“I do have a question though,” Sung-hee and Delphine looked over at Brie who had a mischievous glint in her eye, “What are we allowed to plan for your bachelorette party?” 

“How about we wait until I actually get engaged first before you start planning out parties?”  Delphine and Brie instantly started laughing and while Sung-hee tried to look serious at first she eventually broke down as well.  It wasn’t that she was scared of commitment she didn’t want to plan out her future with Thunder just yet especially when she was certain neither one of them were ready for marriage.  “But no strippers!”  She added and in response Delphine and Brie laughed louder than before.