✈chapter four

✈Welcome to EXO Airlines! ― apply closed
----------✈
TakeaBreak
chapter four

"Of all people," the girl standing behind the counter muttered, "I get stuck with you two idiots." Son Seohee was usually a kind person, especially when it came to other people, but there were certain people that were just sure to push her buttons.

Jeong Jinwoon and Lee Hyunsik were two of those people. And unfortunately for her, Seohee was destined to spend the rest of her days with them - or at least the rest of her shift. 

Seohee glared at their backs as she tried to scan a tag on a suitcase. The annoying beeping sound that told her she was scanning incorrectly loudly sounded out throughout the room, frustrating her even more.

Jinwoon scoffed as he grabbed a luggage from the belt, scanning the tag before putting it back on the conveyor belt so it could be sent on it's merry way. "You act like we specifically requested to work with you. I don't like working with someone so incompetent about her job that she doesn't even know how to scan a little tag properly." He glanced at her, seeing her still struggling with the suitcase. "Do you need help with that too?" 

Sending him a glare that could kill, Seohee was about to retort when Hyunsik spoke up behind a tower of brown boxes. "Speak for yourself, man, I personally enjoy Seohee's company very much." Hyunsik's head peeped around the pile of boxes and he sent a gag inducing grin Seohee's way.

She rolled her eyes and turned her attention back to Jinwoon. "No, actually. I can do it-" She groaned in annoyance as the scanner beeped in error for the hundredth time. ing the damned suitcase towards Jinwoon, she told him to scan it for her. Ignoring his smirk, Seohee watched in absolute hate as Jinwoon scanned the suticase once without any problem. She heard him laugh in amusement and shushed him before he could say another word. "Don't even start with me," she warned.

Jinwoon shook his head, still mocking her, but surprisingly, he didn't say much more. Turning his head towards Hyunsik, who was still scanning boxes because the constant beep, beep, beep was still heard. "Hey, Hyunsik!"

Popping his head out from behind the boxes, Hyunsik looked at Jinwoon. "What, hyung?"

Jinwoon sent a look mischevious look Seohee's way and cleared his throat before saying, "Let's talk about something, Hyunsik."

This caught both Seohee's and Hyunsik's attention. She stopped mid scan and glanced at Jinwoon out of the corner of her eye, wondering what he was going to say next. Hyunsik did the same and put down his scanner and looked up at Jinwoon. He caught his hyung's mischevious grin, but didn't say anyting about it. "About what?"

Seohee swore she saw Jinwoon look directly at her before saying, "Girls. Let's talk about girls." If possible, his creepy smirk got even wider and he laughed as he saw the expression on Seohee's face change from one of curiosity to one of of horror.

"No. Do not talk about girls with me still in the same room." She looked back and forth between the two men. "You both are erts and I do not want to know what you all say about the poor girls you find attractive."

Ignoring her pleading cries, Hyunsik grinned widely as he started the conversation. "Did you hear about Subin?" Hyunsik looked at Jinwoon, who shook his head no. "She and Jonghyun broke up this morning." Seohee rolled her eyes. She had heard this story multiple times today already. The power couple (or now, ex couple) seemed to be everyone's topic of choice. "They had some big fight in the middle of the A building," he explained. He sighed, looking a bit upset. "Man, I wish I was there. According to Jongin, she looks hot when she's angry."

Seohee moaned in disgust. She covered ears childishly and she closed her eyes also. After a couple minutes, she opened them to find Jinwoon and Hyunsik standing there looking at her weirdly. "What," she snapped, already annoyed with the two and she still had a full day left with them. "Don't look at me like that, go do your work," she said crossly.

"Don't boss me around." Jinwoon narrowed his eyes at her. He picked up a small suitcase and scanned it. Then he looked at Seohee and said, "I did that because I wanted too. Not because you told me to do my work."

"You are so immature," Seohee muttered under her breath as she too, got back to work. Jinwoon must have the ears of bats, because even though Seohee barely whispered it, he still heard her.

He scoffed. "Says the girl," he emphasized the word girl just to make her mad,"who just a minute ago covered her eyes and closed her eyes childishly because she couldn't handle our conversation." 

Seohee was about to lash out at him (partly because she had had to deal with too many idiotic customers this week, but mostly because Jinwoon was just an ) but fortunately for him, Hyunsik busted out laughing and Seohee turned her annoyance on him. "Why are you laughing?" she shouted at him. Still, Hyunsik wasn't that scared of her and he just continued to laugh. This only made her even more mad. "What is so funny?"

"You," he said in between gasping for air. "Your reactions to Jinwoon hyung are so funny." He turned to Jinwoon and talked to him as if Seohee wasn't even there. "Isn't she so hot when she gets all flustered?"

Hearing Hyunsik's absurd comment, Jinwoon laughed loudly and obnoxiously. Seohee was tempted to throw the stapler on the desk at him but she refrained herself from doing so. "I don't know whether I should be insulted or thankful you don't find me attractive," she said. 

"You should be heartbroken," Hyunsik piped up. When Jinwoon and Seohee both looked at him, confused expressions on their faces, he elaborated. "Because Jinwoon likes everyone, even the ugly people. So if he thinks you're unattractive, you must be really ugly."

"I do not!" 

"Well excuse you!"

Jinwoon and Seohee yelled at Hyunsik at the same time. Jinwoon was denying what Hyunsik was saying while Seohee was just insulted. Hyunsik held up his hands in defense. "Hey! I wasn't saying that you were ugly," he told Seohee. "I'm just saying that Jinwoon thinks you're ugly." He smiled brightly as if that made things all better. 

"You." She turned to Hyunsik and pointed a perfectly manicured finger at him. "You need to quit talking and get to work. You still have all those boxes to scan and take inventory of," she reminded him. 

Hyunsik grinned impishly. "Do you wanna give me a kiss for motivation?" He tapped his left cheek with his forefinger. "It'll make me work harder," he sing-songed. 

Now that she had a liable reason too, without even hesitating, she grabbed the mini stapler on the counter and hurled it at Hyunsik. Luckily for Hyunsik, it was a plastic mini one and not a regular metal one or else that would've been one big bruise. Also fortunately for him, he had quick reflexes and ducked before the flying makeshift weapon could hit him. 

"Woah," a new voice said. The three ground attendants turned their heads to the door to see who had intruded on their work. "Is that how you treat your coworkers, Seohee?" Luhan said with a teasing smile. "Boy, am I sure glad I don't work with you."

Squinting her eyes, she scowled at the blonde pilot. Luhan just shook his head at her. Flipping her hair over her shoulder, she said airily, "You could only wish you worked with me."

Jinwoon laughed loudly again, earning himself yet another scowl from Seohee. He looked at Luhan, totally ignoring her, and advised the older man, "No, actually, you don't want to work with her. She's a terrible worker and has no skills whatsoever."

"You are an . " 

"Now, now," Luhan said, stepping between the bickering duo. "No need to call each other names," he teased. He said it in a condescending tone, although they all knew that he was just amused as the rest of them.

Seohee rolled her eyes. "Cut the angel act, Luhan. We all know you're the devil in disguise."

Ignoring her, he pulled out a small little present from his pocket and placed it in her hand. "It's a postcard from California. I didn't think you had one from there yet."

Seohee accepted the gift gratefully. "I don't, thank you!" she exclaimed, smiling brightly. "It's pretty. I'll add it to my collection." She pocketed the colorful postcard from Los Angeles. "So why are you here today?" she asked, looking at Luhan curiously. It was only then that she noticed the tall head of curls behind him. "Oh - I didn't even notice you were there, Chanyeol!"

"I find that a bit hard to believe," Jinwoon muttered under his breath. After receiving a glare from Seohee, he gave her a dumbfounded look. "What?" he asked, not understanding why he was being glared at. "Chanyeol is like seven feet tall, I don't see how anyone could miss him.

"Anyway," Seohee said, purposefully ignoring him and turning her back on him, "What brings you two here today?" She looked between Luhan and Chanyeol. It was then that she realized how tired the two pilots looked. Luhan's perfect hair was uncharacteristically disheveled and he looked extremely worn out. Chanyeol, on the other hand, looked unusually grumpy, but it was probably just his dark eye bags that made him look that way. His cheerful voice was also replaced by a drained and sleepy one. "Long flight?" she asked.

They both nodded. "Too long," Chanyeol said. "And it was one problem right after the other, right hyung?" He looked at Luhan for confirmation. Luhan nodded. "Yeah," he turned to Seohee. "We had turbulence three times, had to detour twice because of bad weather, and we had four food and drink spills."

Seohee looked at the pair in confusion. "Why are drink spills a problem for you? Isn't that the flight attendant's job?" she asked, raising an eyebrow at them. It's not the pilots job to clean up things like drink and food spills. That's the flight attendant's job. The pilots only job is to fly the plane. Everything that happens in the cabin of the plane is the responsibility of the flight attendant, and unless there is an emergency, there's no need to call the pilot. Seohee still remembered that from when she was a flight attendant. But she didn't like to think about that time, it only made her even more paranoid about working in an airport.

Luhan opened his mouth to explain, but Chanyeol spoke up first. "They are, but the flight attendants aren't too happy when they have to clean up spills, and then they take their anger out on other people."

"Mainly us," Luhan butted in, regaining control of the conversation. Chanyeol happily shook his head up and down, agreeing with Luhan's statement wholeheartedly. "They were being really mean to us after the flight ended," he said bitterly. He sighed and rubbed his tired eyes while yawning. "Well, I'm dead tired, so I'm going to head home and go to sleep." Luhan looked at Chanyeol. "Do you need a ride home?"

Chanyeol shook his head, sparing a glance at Seohee before answering with a firm, "No, it's fine, thanks. I think I'll stay here for a bit." Luhan shrugged, not caring either way. He waved goodbye to both Chanyeol and Seohee, telling them that he'd see them tomorrow.

"Seohee, go back to work." Seohee turned around, ready to snap at Jinwoon. However, he quickly held his hand against Seohee's mouth, preventing her from doing so. "Shut up, I don't want to hear it. Just get back to work. Me and Hyunsik don't want to do everything by ourselves." Hyunsik murmured something incoherent. Jinwoon took it as him agreeing. "See? Now hurry up and start scanning again."

Seohee rolled her eyes - for what seemed like the millionth time that day alone - and told him to keep his pants on because she's still talking to Chanyeol. Jinwoon just grunted in reply. "So," she said, finally facing Chanyeol again, "why didn't you go home? You looked exhausted."

Chanyeol blinked twice before yawning, an embarrassed little smile enveloping his face. Seohee noticed just how handsome Chanyeol really was. Big brown eyes, bright smile that never seems to leave his face, tall height and thin build. He was actually really cute. No wonder all the girls fawn over him. She was interrupted from her thoughts when he opened his mouth to reply to her. "Luhan's a crazy driver, I didn't want to be in the same car as him," he said simply.

Seohee laughed.. Even though her and Chanyeol barely knew each other, he was starting to grow on her. He had humor and she liked that. "Between me and you," she said quietly, leaning in to whisper as if she was telling him a secret. Chanyeol bent down so she could whisper in his ear. "Luhan's the worst driver I know. He's an accident waiting to happen." Chanyeol's deep laugh echoed throughout the room, surprising Seohee and Jinwoon and Hyunsik. Both of them looked up and stared at the still chuckling Chanyeol. 

"You're funny," he commented, still chuckling slightly.

Seohee sent him a charming grin and flipped her hair playfully. "Thanks, I know." She was about to say more, but stopped when the door swung open, revealing a none too happy Boa standing there.

"Seohee!" she barked. Boa was not in a good mood, and everyone in the room immediately sensed that. She had just had to discipline Jonghyun for punching a customer - two weeks suspension - and now she walked into the inventory room to see one of her ground attendants not working, but instead, flirting with one of the pilots. "Why aren't you working?" she asked loudly, striding over to where Seohee was.

Seohee stuttered a few incoherent words before saying, "I was, but I-"

Silencing her with a look that could kill, Boa pointed at Jinwoon and Hyunsik, both of whom had acted as if they were working hard as soon as Boa burst into the room. "Why arent you working with them? I assigned the three of you here to work together, not for two of you to work and the other to stand there flirting with one of the pilots."

Seohee nodded while looking down at the floor, not daring to meet her supervisor's eyes. She hated being yelled at, especially by Boa. Boa was her supervisor, yes, but she was also a good friend. It made both of them uncomfortable when Boa was forced to scold Seohee.

Chanyeol, who had frozen the moment Boa walked into the room, finally figured out that he should have probably left by then. He waved goodbye to Seohee and bowed in apology to Boa before leaving the room altogether. As soon as the door closed behind Chanyeol, Boa turned to Seohee and sighed, giving her a disappointed look. "Seohee, why weren't you working?" she said in a much gentler tone than before.

"I was!" Seohee said, defending herself. She heard someone snicker and slightly turned her head in time to see Jinwoon covering his mouth. Squinting her eyes at him, she turned back around and tried to convince Boa that she really was working the whole time. "It's just that  I stopped for like five minutes when Chanyeol came in." Seohee decided not to mention Luhan also being in the room. She was in enough trouble as it was.

Boa massaged her temples. She could feel a headache coming on, and the day was not even close to being over. Sighing and rubbing the bridge of her nose, she turned to Jinwoon and Hyunsik. "Go take a break. Seohee will be working by herself to make up the time she lost by talking." Hyunsik ran out of the room as soon as he heard that, and excited yelp escaped his lips as he passed by. Jinwoon took his time leaving. On his way out of the room, he smirked at Seohee and mockingly waved goodbye to her.

The moment the door closed behind the two ground attendants, Seohee turned to Boa. "But that's not fair!" she yelled. "I was working up until that very moment."

Boa shook her head and held her hand up. Seohee shut up. "I am not in the mood right now." Boa opened the door and had one foot out as she turned around to talk to Seohee. "Just finish the rest of this." She gestured around the room and then shut the door, leaving Seohee in the room all by herself.

Groaning in frustration, she got to work anyway. No matter how unfair she thought it was, she was going to have to do it anyway. Picking up a bright pink suitcase from the conveyor belt, she tried to find the tag. Once it was found, she swiped the tag across the scanner.

Beep!

"I hate my life."

 

 

Baek Yoo Jin was starving, but she refused to go on break just yet. There was still exactly six minutes until her lunch break, and she was not going to take a break early. That just wouldn't be fair. Yoo Jin was always a rule follower, never one to rebel or cause trouble. She was an angel, a sweetheart, the perfect lady. It explains why that now, as an adult and grown woman, she still continued that angelic image of hers.

Her stomach growled loudly and uncomfortable as she walked the airport, wandering around and trying to see if there was anyone she could help or anything she could help with. She picked at the fingernail of her thumb, which she knew was a gross habit that she needed to get rid of, but she couldn't help it. She was hungry and that was what she always did while hungry. It took her mind off of the pain in her stomach.

She winced as her stomach growled again, this time loudly enough for a few bystander to notice. Yoo Jin looked down in embarrassment. Ladies don't let themselves be hungry enough to the point of starvation, she reminded herself. She looked down at her watch and sighed when she saw that she still had four minutes until her lunch break. Ignoring the feeling of her stomach eating itself, she continued walking.

After a few minutes (though it still was not her lunch time yet) she came upon a lost looking woman with two children. The woman looked frustrated and upset, and by the way she was biting her lips and frantically looking at her boarding passes, it looked like she was in dire need of some assistance.

Smiling at the two little kids as she approached them, Yoo Jin gently tapped the woman on the shoulder, getting her attention. The woman looked up at Yoo Jin, and her eyes were b with tears. Yoo Jin was glad that she noticed the woman at this time, because she looked like she was going to start crying any moment now.

"Do you need help, ma'am?" Yoo Jin asked in English. The woman didn't look Korean, and neither did her two sons, so Yoo Jin hoped she spoke English.

Thankfully, the woman nodded, smiling in gratefulness as she replied in English. "Yes! Please help me find my gate. The boarding passes say that my plane is leaving soon, but I still can't find my gate," she said frantically.

Yoo Jin smiled her award winning smile, the one that everyone said calmed them down. "May I see your passes?" The woman handed them over without hesitation. Yoo Jin frowned as she looked at the pass. Gate 108  was all the way in Building C. They were currently in the B Building.

She grabbed her radio from her back pocket and held up it to . As she did so, she unconsciously looked at the wrist watch on the same hand. Two minutes passed the time she was supposed to take her break. Ignoring her hunger once again, she pressed the speak button and contacted one of the ground attendants that was in charge of the C Building. "C Building, this is Baek Yoo Jin. I have a passenger that needs to be at Gate 108 but we're still only in the B Building. Please hold the plane for a couple minutes."

"Roger that," she heard someone say back. Putting her walkie talkie back into her pocket, she spotted a courtesy cart and waved it down.

She smiled sweetly at the driver as she got on along with the family of three. "Do you mind taking us to Building C? We have a woman and her sons that need to get there to board their plane asap." The driver nodded, recognized Yoo Jin as one of the sweeter ground attendants.

Not even five minutes later, Yoo Jin and the family reached Gate 108. Hopping off, the woman thanked Yoo Jin multiple times. "Thank you so much, you are so kind. I don't know what I would've done if you weren't there!"

Yoo Jin smiled gently while also urging the woman to hurry. "No need to thank me, it's my job after all. Hurry, though. Your flight is leaving soon." The woman waved and thanked her again. "Have a safe flight!" she said, truly meaning her words. 

After she watched the woman and her kids run through the gate and onto the plane, Yoo Jin sighed in relief. She was glad to help that family and she was genuinely glad they made it onto their plane on time. She glanced at her watch. Yoo Jin saw that it was now 10 minutes after he break started and she only had 20 minutes left of her precious lunch time. Although she wasn't exactly thrilled about it, she decided that it was worth it.

Spinning around, Yoo Jin let out a shriek when she bumped into someone. "Don't scream! I'm sorry, it's just me," a familiar and calming voice said. Strong hands shot out to steady her, and Yoo Jin saw that it was Kyungsoo who she had bumped into. "Are you alright?"

Seeing her favorite pilot, Yoo Jin smiled, glad to finally talk to him. He's been quite busy the past few days and they haven't had any time to catch up with each other. "Yes, I'm alright. It was my fault."

"Well I'm just glad you're alright," he said, chuckling a bit. "Oh!" he said, as if suddenly remembering something. Kyungsoo bent down and rummaged through his briefcase, trying to find something. When he finally did so, he smiled brightly and pulled out the container of chocolate chip cookies. "I know you don't really eat junk food that often, but hopefully you'll make an exception for my cookies?" He looked at her hopefully.

Yoo Jin felt bad declining his offer, but she really didn't like junk food. And plus, she was just about to go eat lunch. "I'm sorry-"

He didn't hear her and continued to talk, interrupting Yoo Jin. "I was looking for you in the B Building, since you said that was where you were stationed at for the day, but you weren't there. So I went to ask one of the ground attendants, and they said they had heard you were going to the C Building to help someone. So I came over here just to give you these." He held out the box again, his cute smile and big eyes shining at her happily.

Yoo Jin sighed. She couldn't possibly say no to him after that. "Alright, I'll take one." She grabbed the smallest cookie she saw and picked off a piece, popping it into . Chewing thoughtfully, she didn't realize the full extent of her hunger until that point. Feeling extremely hungry, she shoved the rest of her cookie into , forgetting all about being ladylike and only thinking about filling her stomach.

Kyungsoo chuckled at her, and that was when she realized what she had done. Smiling shyly, she looked down, embarrassed about her unladylike behavior. "You seem really hungry," he said. "Did you not have lunch yet?"

She shook her head no.

"Well it's settled then," he announced. "I'm on my break too. I'll treat you to lunch, okay?"

Yoo Jin looked at him suspiciously. Although Kyungsoo was the kindest pilot and her favorite, she was so used to people using her that she could never leave her guard down around anyone, not even for someone like Kyungsoo. "Why are you being so nice to me?"

"Well why not?" he asked, walking forward."I think you're fun to talk to. And you're interesting. Haven't I told you this already?" He stopped and looked at her in curiosity. "Have people really used you that much that you can't even trust me?"

Yoo Jin hesitated, and Kyungsoo accepted it as his answer. "It's alright. I'll make sure you can trust me. First up, me treating you to lunch!" He beckoned her to follow him, which she did after debating with herself for a little bit.

"Okay," she said, finally breaking into a smile. Maybe she could learn to trust him after all.

 

 

-------------------✈

Oh my gosh, okay hi. I know I said I'd update yesterday, but I was having a mental breakdown because of Infnite and it just wasn't possible. BUT I FINISHED TYPING THIS FOR ALL YOU LOVELY PEOPLE (it's 11 right now and I should be sleeping but #YOLO).

Anyway, congrats to gyugom and Rainydaze​. I am so sorry for the not decent chapter. I'll edit it tomorrow and yeah. I seriously hope I got your character's personailites right. I'm afriad I didn't with you two. Please tell me if I did or not!

To gyugom: Seohee was just so sassy and I loved it. I also loved her rivalry with Jinwoon. It's so perfect and yeah. Not much to say here, sorry. OTL Congrats for being our second Ground Attendant!

To Rainydaze: Yoo Jin is such a sweetheart, I swear. I needed a girl like her in this story to balance out all the hotheadedness and sassiness in the story lol. But your character was just perfect so congrats for being our third Ground Attendant! Also, could you please PM me new coworker/friend choices. Krystal and Sooyoung are already taken, sorry! Sulli iis okay to keep, though.

If you all couldn't tell already, I pretty much have no idea what I'm typing right now. So like, sorry for all the mistakes and the crap of a chapter. I shall be better with the next update, I promise.