Cupids in Action?

School Trip

 

Namsoon had never felt so perturbed by his feelings. Agitated by every single thing that kept pushing him out of comfort. Slowly burning up in distress after being swirled around back and forth with maybes and what ifs. It brought him either to another dead end or leads him into another question that needed answers. No matter how much he tried to comprehend the situation, it would always appear as futile yet again.

He simply could not believe what had just happened.

The incident at the café left him no words at all; the fact that they were lost in their own little world once again for that few moments in public, already had him having a hard time trying to convey it. The one thing that had him astounded more than anything though was of last night, the short-lived kiss that had left a permanent mark in his mind. That kiss was his first; bound to be forever etched into his memory.

More than that, it was with his most treasured person.

Namsoon took a deep breath, inhaling the refreshing air at the café’s small garden. It was on the rooftop, no one seemed to be around. Truth be told, he wasn’t even sure he was allowed to enter here. But he couldn’t care much, really.

A comfortable looking garden double-seat swing presented invitingly at him. Namsoon sat there subtly; he occupied himself in studying the surrounding of the rooftop garden.

The boy noticed the plants here were well cared for and the place was kept clean, decorated not too extravagantly as the interior café. Much to his surprise, it was only showing off that ambience of simplicity. The green leaves of the plants glimmered under the sun, the colorful flowers nourishing its beauty flawlessly. Butterflies motioned gracefully around the garden, carving the place into a living painting. It felt incredible, almost unreal. It was as if finding a sense of tranquility inside a hurricane.

He stared at the wondrous sight before him, feeling transfixed by it.

It could’ve gone on like that forever.

Until something brushed one of his legs, breaking him off from indulging the calmness in a snap. Namsoon squeaked out loud, jerking his leg away instinctively. Immediately he drew his eyes out onto the offender.

It was that Russian blue cat from earlier in the café.

“Meow~”

Namsoon sighed.

“Why do you like to startle me like that, huh?” He bent down to caress the feline’s fur softly.

The cat purred in response, leaning towards the boy’s hand.

 

“Well, well aren’t you a tamed one?” Namsoon chuckled, as if proving his point the cat jumped on the boy’s lap, comfortably sitting down. He kept the feline gently, admiring the silver-blue coat adorned by emerald green eyes. Namsoon has a soft spot for animals, especially cats. They would always be his companion whenever he is having a hard time. And just like that time, cat had once again stayed by his side when he needed reassurance. The boy couldn’t help but smile at the purring feline on his laps.

“Your name is Jiji right? I heard the boss called you that earlier” He smiled as the cat meowed him in return.

“You know Jiji-yah… There’s this person who had always been with me, ever since elementary. We’re both were taller than other kids so we stick pretty well. Together we lived through life the best we could, tried our best ramming onto everything that had been thrown out on us, together. We only had each other”

Namsoon reminisced.

“I ended up being a delinquent, and he was our school’s star in soccer. He had such passion for soccer, he was really good at playing it too… that idiot knew he shouldn’t be hanging out with me, people are bound to get the wrong impression of him being a gangster. But he did it anyway, following me around, making sure I don’t do things I’d regret. I remember being irritated whenever he stopped me from beating others up. If it wasn’t for him, I would’ve ended up in jail dozen times over”

He looked at the sky, with empty eyes.

“One day he got scouted, told me he’s going to Seoul to be a professional soccer player. I felt like I was going to lose him, literally tearing my other half apart... But he was waiting, eagerly anticipated for my reaction. I couldn’t bring myself to tell him that I didn’t want him to go… So I lied”

“With a fake smile, I said that I’ll buy him the sport shoes he had always wanted. Told a white lie of how happy I was for him, that I’d support him all the way. Blinded by happiness he was in, he failed to notice how fake I sounded, he beamed his smile that I love seeing so much, hugged me as he dropped down trails of thank-you into my ears with such sincerity… it just hurts

Namsoon unconsciously stopped the cat, falling too deep into his shattered past.

“But in the end he couldn’t do it… because of me. I couldn’t let him go, the very thought of him leaving me by myself and go far, far away. It was a something I’d never want to experience again, feeling sicken by frustration, I got angry and…”

The boy struggled with his words, face tilted downwards.

Jiji sat up, pawing onto Namsoon’s chest. Then the cat snuggled up to his cheek, as if trying to comfort him.

He gave a small smile at the cat, faintly brushed its ears with his fingers.

“Three years past when he stepped into my life once again.  I did everything I can for him. He was irritated of course, refusing my every remorse completely. Until that day where I almost got transferred away because I was listed as his perpetrator, at that time I thought that was meant to be, but then he came in saving me, just like he always do… saying, ‘We were just friends, a very unlucky ones’. I felt so relieved”

“And then yesterday night…”

He paused.

“Meow?”

Namsoon realized he had stopped the cat, and he silently laughed to himself as he resumed petting it.

“Why am I telling this to a cat?”

“Ahhh~ the juiciest part was ruined! Jiji-yah, why did you make him stop? I wanted to know!” A voice emitted from the rooftop entrance.

Startled, Namsoon almost threw off the cat by standing up, but unfortunately for him the cat clawed through his pants onto the skin of his thigh.

“Ow!”

“Oops, sorry! Guess I startled Jiji too” Jaejoong grinned by the door, walked to sit beside Namsoon.

“That’ll leave a mark…”

The cat’s ears already tilted sideways, detecting the presence of its master besides Namsoon. The boy proceeded to its ears and the feline broke off its focus entirely.

“Are you really Jiji’s owner?”

“Of course! Jiji is just having a hard time opening up to me”

“For how long exactly?”

“It’s been a year or so…”

Namsoon raised his eyebrow, questioning.

“You look somewhat like a cat, that’s why Jiji likes you" Jaejoong told him off

"You're blaming it on my face?"

"Of course, I have my ego"

Namsoon chuckled, and Jaejoong joined in. They stared into the blue sky, admiring the mountains from a far.

 

“He’s heavy, isn’t he?” Jaejoong resounded from his side.

The boy turned his gaze to the radiant male, a dazed look plastered onto his face.

The other met his eyes and smiled, “Park Heungsoo”

Namsoon blinked, feeling pleasantly surprised. The boy responded with a small laugh, “You’re the second to say that”

“Really, who’s the first?”

“The guy you met during our first meeting”

Jaejoong paused, jogged his memory of that day.

“Ah~ Teacher Kang? You should really start calling him a teacher, you know?”

“Perhaps”

He played with Jiji, absent-mindedly.

“He said to me, 'the burden you carry won’t get any lighter… but it will be bearable' ”

“Wise one, isn't he?”

“Sometimes”

Jaejoong laughed, “Give some credits to him, kid. I bet what he said helped work things up a bit, didn't it?”

Namsoon stayed silent, pretending to be busy playing with Jiji.

 

"Mind if I ask what happened between you and Heungsoo?"

The boy flinched, letting Jiji caught his now static fingers.

"Hey, it's fine if you don't-"

"I broke his leg" He stated, effectively cutting the other off.

He could almost sense the shock coming from the older male beside him as he watched Jiji bit playfully on his caught fingers.

"The coach said he needed to leave our group. Anyone who wanted to leave had to get beaten up, some ty tradition it was. But things went wrong that night, I couldn't control my rage. I told the others off as I go forward. By mistake, I aimed my kick wrongly as it landed straight down his knee. I was shaken off by the sound of his bone cracked under me"

He had to close his eyes, overcoming the tension bursting through him.

"The sight of him cringed in pain, I felt like throwing up. I knew I’d never be able to face Heungsoo ever again. I was too afraid he’d say, he'd never see a bastard like me again. If I heard those words coming from him, I had nowhere to go... Because all I had was him"

 

Namsoon suppressed his emotions, at least tried to. He felt an arm wrapped around him. The hand cupped on the side of his face gently leading him to rest his head on the other's shoulder. 

"That's enough for now, don't push yourself kiddo" Jaejoong soothed him.

Namsoon gave a small smile, "You keep calling me a kid. That makes you sound so old, you know?"

"Who are you calling old, you little punk!" A finger nudged his forehead.

"Ow, sorry Boss!" Namsoon rubbed the bruised spot.

Jaejoong smiled.

"You two had it rough, huh?"

"It gets bearable..." Namsoon's lips curved upwards.

Jaejoong chuckled and got up from his seat.

“By the way Namsoon-ah, I need your help on promoting the café”

“What kind of promoting?” the boy questioned, almost regretting he let those words slipped.

“The café needs a fresh new look, a new theme!” Jaejoong exclaimed excitedly

“Why do I feel like I'm not going to like this...?” Namsoon mumbled.

“There will be a photoshoot”

“Oh god, no.”

“-and so I, Kim Jaejoong hereby claim my authority to order you, Go Namsoon to be the model for it! Thanks a million, Namsoon-ah~”

“WHAT?! That’s an abuse of power!”

“No, it’s not. C’mon~ I promise you get to be all pretty for the photoshoot. Aren't I nice?” Jaejoong blinked purely.

“I don’t want to be pretty!” Namsoon retaliated strongly.

“Now, now if you say any more than that, you might find yourself wearing kitty ears tomorrow”

Namsoon shut his trap, involuntarily being obedient.

“Thought so” Jaejoong smirked as he ruffled up the other's hair and made to turn towards the rooftop exit.

"You can have Jiji for now, return him later okay? Bye~" 

The boy didn't give an immediate respond, but a vague nod came in soon after. Then he realized something, called out the other's name for the first time.

"Jaejoong hyung!"

The said person paused on the spot, startled. He tilted his head towards Namsoon's direction.

"Thank you for listening to me... Hyung"

 

Nothing moved. Except for Jiji, that had noticed the tension between the two as the cat slowly creeped down to the floor.

Jaejoong stormed back at where Namsoon sat down, almost throwing himself at the poor boy. 

"Oh my good lord! You're just so freaking adorable. How can you be such a cutie?!" 

"B-Boss I can't... breathe" Namsoon choked out from the man's tight embrace.

"Aww.. No more 'Hyung'? I don't mind you calling me that" Jaejoong pouted as he loosened his grasp.

"If this is the reaction I get for calling you that every time, I'd rather not" Namsoon stated.

Jaejoong laughed. "Okay, no bear-hugging you next time, promise!"

Namsoon smiled.

"Well then, I'm off for real. Namsoon-ah, do thank your teacher later"

"...Yeah"

"And call him 'Teacher' too"

"Aish, fine... Why so persistent? Do you like the guy or something?" Namsoon jokingly asked.

"My dear Namsoon-ah, my taste in men is much more... sophisticated than him, plus I'm already taken" Jaejoong sent him a smirk.

The door closed in with a creaking sound, as the boy was left dumbfounded by the new piece of discovery of his affectionate boss.

It was safe to say, Namsoon wasn't the only not-straight male now.

 

Unknown to him, the said male behind the closed door, whispered sneakily to himself.

"One down, one more lost little bunny to go"

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Heungsoo was staring into space, possibly to oblivion. He was completely out-of-focus. The boy was doing his work monotonously non-stop, smiles rarely given and going table-to-table only to serve the food. The customers he's serving were mostly businessmen so they could care less if he was smiling or not, so it was fine, so far. It probably would’ve stayed like that until-

"Yah, Heungsoo-ya! You're not smiling!" A non-threatening angry looking Jaejoong struts in front of his face.

...he comes.

"Sorry" Heungsoo apologized dully.

“Aish… You and Namsoon are just the same” Jaejoong murmured as he palmed the side of his jaw, sighing dramatically.

“What do you mean- Hey, is he okay?” a concerned tone clear in the boy’s voice.

“You want to know?” Jaejoong asked, curiously.

Heungsoo who has that regally stubborn trait fused in his blood, optioned to look away as a sign of refusing to give a reply. He could’ve sworn that sly boss of his already grinning like the cat that ate the canary.  Was he being too obvious?

‘I should stay away from this man’

Quickly he decided to head out from the VIP section and head out to the main tables.

“Where do you think you’re going? I’m not letting you serve our loyal customers in such unfocused state” –but of course, who was he kidding? His boss is Kim Jaejoong, a man like him would never let him escape unscathed.

“You, mister are following me. I have something to discuss with you for the upcoming-”

Jaejoong’s words were cut off by a sudden burst of voice.

“Boss! Something weird is happening to T.O.P!! Please come help us!” the man wore a baker’s uniform of the café. This was probably the man who had been teaching that annoying Yikyung.

“Weird? That man is beyond normal all the time” Jaejoong commented, audibly unpleased by the sudden disruption.

But he is… drunk” the baker said it in such a horrified intonation; it almost sounded as if the head butler had killed someone.

Silence ate them alive, as if a bomb would blow off any moment now.

“Oh my god~ It’s been ages since the last time I’ve seen a drunken Seunghyun” Jaejoong clapped his hands excitedly.

“What’s so interesting with him being drunk…?” Heungsoo asked, too curious for his own good.

“He thinks it’s alright to be overly affectionate with everyone…” The baker shivered, seeming to try shaking off unwanted flashback.

Heungsoo was still left dumbfounded.

“To put it simple, he turned into a kissing monster” Jaejoong casually chatted.

Heungsoo widened his eyes at that. “You mean-”

“Yup! On every lips at sight. You might want to stay away if you want to keep your first kiss” Jaejoong tapped on Heungsoo’s lips twice before winking slyly.

“I’ve already had my first kiss!” Heungsoo flustered as he slapped away Jaejoong’s hand. Suddenly he remembered that kiss was with Namsoon, immediately covered his mouth, wishing he could swallow back those words. It was a trap, a tricky one made by this mischievous man.

“Hmn…? Save that story for me later. I want to hear all about it” Jaejoong grinned.

Ignoring the other’s statement, “Why do I have to stay away? He doesn’t seem the type to kiss a guy” unless the guy looks like you, he thought silently.

“Oh no, he’d do it especially to males because they’re likely to resist the most. It provoked him or should I say it made him feel more ‘challenged’?”

Heungsoo stared at the both of them. “So, you two had been…”

“NO! Don’t remind me of that ever!” The baker cupped his own face in distress.

“Well I admit although he’s drunk, he’s still a great kisser” Jaejoong remarked thoughtfully.

Heungsoo put on a bizarre look to the man.

“That’s why we need Boss’s help, T.O.P is scared of him. Because Boss doesn’t resist him, it was actually the other way around… after Boss took control of him”

“Well, I do hate getting dominated by others, there’s only one man for that”

The sound of something crashed coming from the kitchen, followed by a muffled scream.

“Another victim…” Jaejoong concluded thoughtfully.

“Boss, help us quick!” the baker, sounding desperate.

“Aish, fine… Heungsoo go to my office, there will be a man named Jung Yunho, give him these”

Jaejoong quickly scribbled down a list on a note and handed it out to the boy.

“Don’t you dare leave after that, wait for me alright?!”

And then he was gone.

 

He was left aside being a delivery boy, along with a traumatic-looking baker.

Heungsoo sighed, nothing ever make sense in this café.

“Hey, are you alright?” Heungsoo asked. It was out of courtesy, really.

“…Huh? Sorry! Guess I got a little lost there” The baker tuned in an awkward laugh.

“Yeah…”

“OH! You’re one of the part-timers, right? I’m Park Chanyeol, nice to meet you!” the baker flashed a blinding grin, emitted a much too bright of an aura for Heungsoo.

“Same here... I’m Park Heungsoo”

“Yah~ we have the same surname, how cool is that!” the baker’s eyes sparkled in amazement.

That’s just it. Heungsoo need to get his out of here, he needs normality so bad.

“Uh, yeah. I’m just going to go deliver these. See you around…”

“Sure, let’s work hard. Park Brothers, fighting!” He pats Heungsoo’s back encouragingly.

“…Thanks” the new butler replied, with his usual awkward smile.

 

He noticed the baker wasn’t moving back to his work place.

“You’re not going back to work?” Heungsoo asked Chanyeol.

Another crash resounded from the kitchen.

“…Maybe later”

 

 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Namsoon decided it was enough moping around. It was time to face the unavoidable life.

He stood up, carried Jiji in his embrace as he walked out the door and down the hallways. His boss didn’t even specified where he should ‘return him later’. Namsoon remembered he had found a grand-looking lift before he went onto the rooftop, and if he remember his past briefing about the café… Jaejoong’s personal workspace should go through there, somehow. The boy tried to retrace back his steps but the place was inexplicably spacious and the corridors were similarly designed, didn’t help him one bit. He figured he had no choice but to go down if he didn’t find that lift. Go down and risk the chances of bumping into that person.

Namsoon sighed.

“Jiji-yah, help me out here a bit, would you?” he begged the feline, but Jiji only meowed at him in return. Namsoon sighed.

A chuckle emitted. Startled, he turned to the source of the voice.

It was a man wearing a well-tailored black suit with a crimson-red tie. He seemed like a business man, an intimidating one, he might add. Even though, he effortlessly radiated his overwhelming presence made to known, strangely there was a sense of comfort about him.

“I know someone with that habit of talking to a cat” The man told him, smiling.

The cat in his arm suddenly jumped off him and went towards the other. The well-groomed man bent down for the cat to climb onto his shoulder. He held the rarely seen affectionate cat using an arm, its side softly.

“How are you, little Lord?” the male asked playfully as the cat purred.

“You’re no different either” Namsoon noted.

The man laughed, “Seems like I pick up that someone’s habit too”

Namsoon watched in fascination as Jiji comfortably played with the other male, it almost crossed his mind that there wouldn’t be any guests walking this far inside the building. So why is this man…

“Were you searching for Jaejoong?” The man asked, interrupted his thoughts.

“…Was it obvious?”

“Oh no, I just had a feeling, because Jiji is here so I’m thinking Jaejoong let him stayed with you for a while”

“You’re not wrong” Namsoon smiled heavily.

 

“Let me help you”

“What?”

“I’ll return Jiji for you. You need to return back to work right?”

“I don’t want to bother you with-”

“It’s fine, I’ll be meeting Jaejoong soon anyway so don’t worry” the man said convincingly

“…If you insist"

“I do. My name is Jung Yunho, by the way” The man smiled and offered a handshake

“Go Namsoon” the boy reached out for the hand.

“Well then I’ll be taking my leave now, see you around Go-sshi” Yunho waved as he turned around.

Namsoon stared, before finally realizing the other man was about to leave.

“Jung-sshi!”

The man stopped. “Yes?”

“You’re familiar with Jiji… and Jaejoong too, who might you be?” Namsoon asked, curious.

“Jaejoong… is my other half” he displayed a gentle smile.

Namsoon was almost stunned by the smile for a moment too long, “And Jiji is your little Lord?”

The man in suit blinked twice, and laughed.

“Yah, call me by my name, I have a feeling we’d be friends for a long time” Yunho said playfully.

“Same to you, it feels weird using formalities”

“Alright then, Namsoon-ah”

The business man pressed a button on the wall, Namsoon noticed it was that grand-looking lift he had been searching for. That was weird, how had he not seen it before?

The lift opened. Yunho moved as he ruffled Namsoon’s head lightly.

“Cheer up, Namsoon-ah” the man smiled, entering the lift with Jiji sitting firmly on his shoulder.

The lift shut close. Namsoon stood there, and found himself smiling.

“Thanks, Yunho-hyung”

 

----------------------------------------------------

 

Heungsoo didn’t even bother knocking as he entered. It wasn’t like he is in the mood for anything right now.  But feeling slightly annoyed afterwards, finding the closed-room office to be empty.

He sighed. Heungsoo wondered what else Jaejoong had in stored for him…

Heungsoo put the box he was supposed to give to a guy named “Jung Yunho” on the office desk, presumably Jaejoong’s.

The boy felt something brushed against his leg, he froze.

“You should try knocking first, young lad” a voice emitted behind him.

Heungsoo turned abruptly, only to find a man in black suit with a red tie leaning against a wall and a familiar-looking cat sitting near him.

“You’re Jung Yunho…?”

“Correct. And you must be Park Heungsoo”

The boy stared, confused.

“Jaejoong told me all about you… and Namsoon for that matter”

Heungsoo is not liking this.

“Had Jaejoong told you about the photoshoot you and Namsoon will be doing together tomorrow?” Yunho smirked.

 

‘Well, ’






******************///***********************

hey folks~ sorry for the mega late update times a million. I've just entered college you see... ;w; This chap is quite heungsoon-less... and unbeta-ed XD But don't worry juicy stuff comes next  chappie <3

Thank you so much for the awesome comments, to those who waited, and holy , 230+  subscribers?! You girls(and guys?) are diamonds to my heart. I don't even care how greasy that line was.

I love you like a love song babeyh. *gets bricked*