Chapter 12

Unspoken

“Hey, Soo! What’s up, buddy?”

The excitement in Chanyeol’s voice made me chuckle, despite the bad audio quality. Even with the blurry visual from the obviously outdated webcam my friend owned, I could still see his ridiculously white teeth in his normal, lopsided grin. Talking to my computer screen was kind of weird, but it was easier than leaving the house. Besides, he video called me. “Nothing much, man. How about over there?”

In the background of what I recognized as their living room, I could see Baekhyun in the kitchen, bustling around and preparing something. It was almost dinner time, after all. And almost dinner time meant almost Jongin time. Chanyeol shrugged his big shoulders, adjusting the tipping hat on his head. On his torso was one of the huge sweaters he had purchased in high school. I still had the matching one in my closet. We bought them together. “Same thing. Baekhyun’s making some kimchi spaghetti,” he explained, but then leaned closer to the screen, whispering lowly, “but yours is a lot better.”

“I heard that,” I could hear from the background. When Chanyeol leaned back, I could see Baekhyun acting like he said nothing at all. Still smiling from the compliment, I enjoyed the show.

“Sorry, babe,” Chanyeol whimpered, looking scared of his reaction. Finally, he turned back to me with a regretful face, but it quickly turned into a wink. I winked back, making him laugh, before he spoke again. “Oh, hey, where’s Jongin? You guys are still together, right?”

I nodded happily. “Very much, yes. But he’s at the SM building right now. He’ll be home soon, though.”

Chanyeol’s features drooped a little bit. “Shouldn’t you be there, too? You told me you were becoming an idol there…” he trailed off, his eyebrows furrowed and head tilted in confusion.

I intertwined my hands under the dining room table, letting out a heavy sigh. “It didn’t work out for me. But Jongin will be debuting in a few months. He’s way better than I ever was, anyway,” I assured Chanyeol, who looked sympathetic. The subject was quickly dropped, though, when the door opened.

Despite my attempt to wrap up the subject, Baekhyun was the one to bring it up once more. I guessed that he was listening in on the conversation, tossing aside his lack of participation. “That’s really cool that he gets to be famous, though. I don’t get that; I’m just a vocal coach. Well… assistant vocal coach.”

Baekhyun was really into singing, whereas mine was kind of a tossed away talent. I was much better at writing, anyway. He had a little band assembled through most of high school, and they always did the talent show. They won most of them, giving none of the other acts a chance. I raised an eyebrow. “Who are you working for?”

He looked a little reluctant to speak. “JYP Entertainment.”

Even though it was a competitor for my boyfriend’s company, I grinned. That was one of the Big Three; that had to mean something good. “Wow, Baekhyun. That’s a big company, even if you’re just an assistant… What does that mean, anyway?”

He shrugged, now sitting with Chanyeol in front of the computer screen, who was watching his husband with eyes of admiration and wonder. I would envy their relationship if I didn’t have my own. “Mostly take the trainees out and go one-on-one with them, help out my boss with lessons, that kind of thing. It pays pretty good when you realize what a petty job it is, but between my job and Chanyeol’s, it gets the bills paid.”

Before I could talk more, I could hear the loud clicks of a key being stuck in to open the door.  A wide grin spread on my face at seeing Jongin walk through the door, kicking off his dancing sneakers and throwing his backpack on the counter. The tips of his hair were soaked with sweat, and his t-shirt was clinging to his torso. I was always really happy to see him after a long day of no social interaction.

Baekhyun and Chanyeol didn’t count, since they didn’t really interact with anyone but themselves.

Completely forgetting about Chanyeol for a brief time, I stood up from the dining room table, abandoning my laptop. Jongin glanced over at my direction, only having enough time to smile before I embraced him, burying my face into his chest, completely ignoring how damp his skin was. He laughed, kissing the top of my head. “Hey, baby. Did you have a good day?”

I nodded, pulling away to peck him on the lips before replying to his generic question.  “Good. Boring. I didn’t really have a lot to do,” I explained.

“You could’ve changed out of your pajamas,” Jongin teased, looking my sleep wear up and down. I glanced at my white t-shirt and my Totoro pajama pants before pouting slightly, loving my clothes.

“But I thought you liked Totoro,” I remembered.

“I do.” He paused, a small, knowing smile growing on his face. “But you know what I like more?”

“What?”

He poked my nose. “You.”

Slightly embarrassed, color flushed my hot cheeks just as Jongin cupped them, leaning closer to make our lips connect. I wrapped my arms around his waist, and we only parted when I had to breathe. He grinned. “Guess what I found out today?”

“What happened?”

Jongin looked like he couldn’t contain himself. “I’m going to debut in a month! They said we’re really good for our age, and that a younger group appeals to more of an audience, so they want to put us out there as soon as possible.”

“That’s great! I’m so happy for you!” I cheered, genuinely excited for my boyfriend. The grin he had on his face went from ear to ear, and seeing him so ecstatic made me just as thrilled.

“In celebration, I say we go on a date. Go get dressed.”

Slightly thrown off, I frowned. “But we’ve been on so many dates to pretty much everywhere. Where would we go?”

His stupid grin was replaced by a knowing, snarky smile. “I found a new place on my drive home today. I want to go there. Totoro has got to go,” he redirected, his eyes locked on my pants. Frowning, I went to the closet to go change out of my pajamas and into normal clothes.

Jongin drove, since he knew where to go, as I anxiously waited in the passenger seat. I wasn’t sure exactly what kind of place we were heading for. He hadn’t mentioned any clues of what it could be. A restaurant, a park, there were so many possibilities.

Finally, we arrived. Unclicking my seatbelt, I climbed out of my side of the car, following Jongin. The grass was tall, swaying against my denim-covered shins. There was a single pond, pink flowers and lily pads floating on top of the blue-green water. Koi fish swam in circles at the bottom of the pond. A white bench sat next to it, some of the paint chipping, as well as a white gazebo a few feet behind.

I realized I was gawking right before I began to speak. “Wow, this is beautiful… how did you find it?”

He shrugged, putting an arm around my waist, pulling me closer to him. “I got bored with dancing, and I didn’t feel up to par, so I just left early and drove around. I was on the trail,” he said, pointing behind him to a dirt road, “and I just couldn’t look away. Awesome, isn’t it?”

“The best… it’s so peaceful, too,” I noticed, enjoying the tranquility of it. Unable to control it anymore, I ran over to the bench, taking a seat on its smooth, painted wood. Jongin was still standing there, so I patted the empty seat next to me. With a smirk, he took it, extending his arm around my shoulders.

I put my head in the crook of his neck. “Thank you for taking me here.”

He hummed, making his shoulders vibrate into me. We sat like this for who knows how long, enjoying the sounds of water droplets falling off the flowers and into the water, and the screeching of a cricket somewhere nearby. I had never felt so relaxed in my life.

Jongin eventually spoke, closing the silence. “I’m scared, you know. I try not to act it, but… I’m terrified, really.”

I turned my neck up to look him in the eyes. Somewhat. “Of what?”

“Debuting. Being an idol. Living up to such a big name as a member of a group under SM Entertainment. Performing on stage. Having fans scream at me, push me around in airports. It should be fun, the best time of my life, but I’m just too nervous to enjoy it,” he explained, his voice kind of shaking, like he was ashamed.

My left hand, which was empty, wrapped around his waist, and he completed the hug with his other arm. “I promise it’ll be okay, Jongin. You’re going to have so much. You love what you do, don’t you?”

He nodded. I continued. “So do it. Go have fun. But just make sure those thousands of fangirls don’t replace me, or else,” I teased. With a laugh, Jongin looked down at me. I winked as he continued to look at me, closing our gap with a peck on the lips.

When we had been sitting there for half an hour, we finally went home, and I was driving this time. I had been thinking about just about everything related to Dynamic, and one of the things had been bugging me the most. “So tell me about the other members.”

Jongin looked over at me, slightly exasperated. “What? Why?”

“I want to know more,” I said as calmly as possible, even though all I cared about was the girl. Jongin was still straight, for the most part. I was just merely an exception, and that’s what made this hard for me.

He scoffed. “Come on, Kyungsoo, it’s just—“

“Tell me more!” I cried out, making him turn to look at me. Taking a deep breath, I continued. “I’m sorry that it’s apparently not okay to know more about them, but I want to.”

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Jongin smirk. “Do Kyungsoo, are you… jealous?”

Immediately realizing that my behavior was like what it would be if I envied s, I quickly shook my head. “No, that’s not what I mean.”

Finally giving in, Jongin sighed, leaning back in his seat. “Fine. Kris is the other guy. Super tall, super rude. It’s like someone shoved a tree up his . He speaks, like, fourteen languages and he always brings this stupid stuffed alpaca to practice. The girl is Minjun. She’s so pretty. She’s also really nice to me.”

“Mhm, is she?” I asked sarcastically, feeling the envy bubble from my throat and into my words. I knew I shouldn’t be jealous; he can’t help being stuck with a girl all day. But he can help the attitude he takes towards her.

Jongin pouted, his lower lip jutted out. “Please don’t be like this, Kyungsoo. I promise it’s nothing like what you think.”

I was in full drive now. “Are you sure it couldn’t become like that?”

I guessed so was he, because the nice and begging act was gone, and in its place rested anger. “Why don’t you trust me, Kyungsoo? We’re kind of past the point of no return here; you’d think you would let your instincts tell you I’m not cheating on you. Do you not trust me?”

I let out a heavy sigh. It had turned to this.

“Well, n—“

“If you don’t trust me, then why are we even dating? Why don’t we just break up?”

My head whipped around to stare at him. He wasn’t joking; his face was completely serious. So this was it. We fought over a member of his group, and that was the end? That didn’t seem right. I didn’t take my eyes off of him. “Jongin, I didn’t mean—“

I never got to finish my sentence.

Between the blaring horn, headlights peering through the windows of the car as they drew closer, and the screeching of metal connecting, I had things of more importance to worry about.

The last thing I could register before I was captured by a thick darkness was the air bag knocking my head back into the seat.

~*~

Muahahahahahaha.

Sorry. I'm mean. Okay, no, I'm not sorry, but whatever.

I was going to go somewhere down south with Kyungsoo's headaches but I got caught so yeah.

Boo ya.

Please comment~ Thank you! <3