After all these years

Coincidences

 

The next day, I sat pensively on my seat. I didn’t focus to the lesson though it was my favorite; Chemistry. My mind was deep in thought of everything that Mr. Kim had told to me.

As the end bell rang, I quickly stood up, packed up my things and walked to the school gate.

“Heeyeon-ah!” someone shouted on me. I turned my head and it was Yeonmi, and she was with Yuri.

“Yeonmi-ah?!”

I ran towards her and hugged her tightly. It had been such a long time we didn’t meet each other since I moved on here.

“Hi, Yuri-ssi.”

The said girl just simply nodded, throwing a forced smile. For God’s sake, why did people these past few days were always throwing me a forced smile?

“Yuri wants to meet you, Heeyeon-ah,” Yeonmi said as she grabbed Yuri’s shoulder.

I furrowed my eyebrows, was a bit shocked. She had never been so close to me and neither me. And I honestly didn’t like her. “Why?”

“Err it’s better to do this out there,” she said, breaking the ice as she pointed out a cafe which was located next to Jiksang.

So, here I was, in the middle of a cafe which was full of visitors – mostly were the students of Jiksang. Yuri just looked down at the desk, while Yeonmi was enjoying her hot chocolate. I just couldn’t bring myself to even take a sip of my favorite americano. I was getting annoyed.

“Want to say anything?” I asked sarcastically at her. She replied with a cold stare. How I hated that stare.

“About Himchan,” she finally spoke up.

I sank. “What is that?”

“I’ve heard that he’s been hospitalized again,” she answered. Then, she pulled out her phone, seemed like she was looking for something. “You better look at this.”

He handed me her phone and it showed a photo of a skinny boy, he nearly lose his hair, wearing a uniform which seemed too big for him. His face was very gaunt, and an extreme tiredness was obviously shown off on his eyes. He had a large black bag under both of his eyes. And there was Yuri who was embracing him. Both of them smiled broadly.

Who was he? Why she really wanted me to see this photo?

Wait...

This... This was Himchan.

I looked at him again. It was pretty familiar. His eyebrows, his nose, his eyes. Yes, it was Himchan.

The different Himchan.

Seeing the change in my face, Yuri began to speak. “He was so skinny when he first entered Hansang. No people wanted to know him. He was skinny, ugly, and sickly.”

“It’s me who always beside him. Hearing all of his words, stories, his sickness, until the girl he liked. It’s you.”

“Whenever he saw you, he would always get nervous. He couldn’t stop seeing you. When he found out that you became a part of the winter festival, he took a part on it too. He tried on throwing away the fact that his body wasn’t fit enough to do that kind of thing. He was absent for a several times to get the treatments.”

“He told me that he would always follow you anywhere. Perhaps you’re wondering why.”

“He really likes you. He had already fallen for you ever since both of you were still in the pre-school. Actually, you had already shared times along with him longer than you ever know. Before your father passed away, both of your family were always doing activities together. A thing that he would always remember in his life, but unfortunately you don’t.”

I was astonished. I actually used to hang out with a big family a few years ago. But was it his family?

“He’s such a loyal and kindhearted boy. He had been taking care of his puppy love, you, since you were a child until you’ve grown up. He will always there watching and keeping you afar. He came on your father’s funeral when you were a fifth grader. Seeing you cry was the saddest thing he had ever seen.”

“He has never felt what it feels like to have a mother. Himchan was still too young when the heart failure took her mother’s life away. Hence, when he saw you at your father’s funeral, he made a promise to himself to always keep you and will not letting anyone hurt you and make you cry anymore. He’s really care to you. He loves you, so much.”

I cried. I couldn’t resist my tears though I had been crying for so many times since yesterday. I didn’t know how much he loved me.

“The reason why I told you everything is, I want you to make you realize that your presence has made him strong. You mean a lot to him.”

“Once he gets recovered, I’m begging you,” she began to cry.

“...to keep him, as what he has done to you all these years.”

 


The next chapter will be the last of this story.

Thank you so much for all who subscribe and giving your time to read my story :"D

Do leave your comment :P