New school

Coincidences

 

Two week had passed like a jetplane and the school had started again. I, who was hugely sure had never met Himchan before or even looked at a strand of his black hair, unexpectedly became more frequent on bumped into him. Whether in the cafetaria, hallways, or school gate.

Everything was normal, when suddenly my mom texted me.

“Congratulations dear. You’re passing your test! We will take out all your documents and the requirements so you will be able to move in 3 days! I’m so proud of you!”

I bursted into tears. The feeling of happiness because I would be moving to Jiksang soon, and the sadness that I had to leave my friends in Hansang were mixing up on my mind.

The surprise was out of five people who passed the test, me and Himchan was ranked on third and fourth. Yes, we were on the same school again.

 

It had been a month for me being a new student here. The atmosphere tended to be quieter here than in Hansang which probably because this school was only qualifying less people.

I quickly got a lot of new friends. They told me that I didn't look like a new student because I was readily become close with them. Even some teachers began to know me.

And I was becoming more close to Himchan, too. He drove his own car to school – it was Mr. Kim’s promise to buy him a car if he could pass the test. And since we were on the same direction, he would always take me home as told by his father.

“Really? I have never seen you too before,” he replied when I told him that I had never seen him when we were on Hansang, and apparently he was too.
“Maybe you’re an anti social?” I copied of what Yeonmi had said earlier to me, trying to light up the atmoshpere.

“Yah! I’m not!” he pouted.

Apparently, if you already got close to someone, their voice could be sounded different. And Himchan, he really had a deep and firmed voice. But somehow it was really reassuring to be heard. I wasn’t exaggerating. His voice really calmed me down. I secretly liked him chattering. After all, it was him who talked mostly of the time, especially when we were on his car. He occasionally also told  me some strange facts about his father, which later made me think that he was very close to him.

“Do you know?” he suddenly asked me. We were on our way home. It was already 6pm and the traffic was badly jammed outside. Actually, we should have been on our way earlier. But I had an extra class to attend and yeah, Himchan was waiting for me. He really did what his father had told him.

“Hmm?” I muttered, still locking my eyes to my phone.

“There was a story behind our name.”

I then turned my face with a questioned look on my eyes. My mind was deep in thoughts. I raised my eyebrows, “a story?”

He nodded as a yes before turned his gaze back forward. “My father and your mother were friends. But he said that it seemed more than friends. He wasn’t sure if she liked him too or it was a one sided love.”

“Friedzoned,” I said aloud, staring blankly into the dashboard.

“Yeah. Then they made a promise that once they had a children, they would gave them name which started with H. Your mother really wished to have a son, and would give him a name of one of a famous actor that time, Himchan, while my father was hoping to have a daughter and Heeyeon would be her name. He said that Heeyeon was a belle and an idol of the boys.”

“Then I should have been an idol, following that Heeyeon!” I giggled.

He laughed after hearing my words. As the many times as I saw him, I noticed that there was a part of him that made me comfortable. His eyebrows were pretty well suitable paired with his black sharp eyes. My heart was alwasy beating up whenever he looked at me. And his posture. He had such a tall body compared by mine, with those tough and built arms, it should be comfortable to lean on them.

Wait, what was I thinking about?

Me and Himchan were increasingly finding many coincidences happened between us. Like, I found out that we were both watching Paramore’s gig last April, even in the same zone. And it turned out that we were lining up in the same place to buy the pre-sale ticket.

Then, we were apparently the part of the committee of the annual Hansang Winter Festival. Though I was on the backstage and he was outside the building, at least we were on the same place.

It felt strange, considering that there were actually lot of things that should have made us close, but we had never even met.