THIN AIR - CHAPTER 4

THIN AIR

 

The tall man passed through the arrival gates with ease, immediately greeted by his secretary, minder and personal assistant. Seunghyun nodded curtly, stuffing the wireless Bluetooth into his ear as his cellphone buzzed. He sighed inwardly; his time during the flight was his only peace. The moment his foot touched ground, be it in Korea or overseas, the phone calls just wouldn't leave him alone. 

"Hello?" He answered so quickly, without even taking a look at the caller ID. 

A small chuckle sounded over the line and Seunghyun gave a small snort of annoyance. "Is that how you talk to your mother?" 

Now Seunghyun pulled the phone out of his coat pocket and did a double take at the caller ID, "Mom! Sorry, I didn't know it was you. You know I just touched down and all..." 

"I know, jet lag..." His mother replied good-naturedly. After all, she herself had almost always been flying around together with his father. 

"Yeah..." Now he was a little embarrassed, checking the number again. "Are you in Seoul?" 

"You guessed right my dear. How about you meet your mother for dinner?" 

Seunghyun hummed a reply into the phone, stopping in his tracks near the exit to pass the minder his bag. "When?" 

"I missed you, so I would say why not about now?" 

"Now?" Seunghyun took a quick glance at his watch, "I can't do dinner today mum... I've got, erm, something planned..." 

"Oh? You never reject me. Who is it? A girl?" 

Seunghyun laughed, there was no hiding anything from his mother. "No, not a girl... Just something." 

"Girlfriend? Bring her to see me!" His mother replied overexcitedly. 

"Mum..." Seunghyun almost whined, rolling his eyes. This conversation was adding on to his anxiety. "It's just a friend... I mean I don't even know if it'll work out... I guess I'll know later... I don't know... I hope... I hope it works out..." He trailed off, the car keys his minder passed to him. 

"Oh dear, I'm sure it'll work out! I don't see anyone ever having the heart to reject my handsome boy!" 

Seunghyun grinned despite his mounting uncertainty. "Yeah, but this is different you know..." 

"Don't worry sweetie. I'm sure it'll be fine! I won't hold you up then, I'll be here for a week, so please take me out on a date! And I expect good news the next time you call!" His mother mused. 

"Yeah, thanks mum, love you." Seunghyun said, ending the call with a laugh. When he was done he turned to his entourage that was waiting patiently a good distance away, informing them that he would be leaving on his own; sending them off with a polite bow. 

Half through the freeway, Seunghyun was starting to wish his car didn't start up; that the engine would just die now, that he would conveniently run out of petrol. He'd never been so apprehensive about a relationship before. But Jiyong, he was different. Firstly, he's not a girl and Seunghyun didn't expect him to be pliant and submissive either. It was the way the younger boy affected him that shook him to the core. If forever wasn't just an ideal, he would want to spend the rest of that with Jiyong. 

He wants more than anything to pierce through that pain-filled gaze, to stop the sadness. He wants the boy to laugh, to smile, to really live. The whole idea of rejection coming from him would be altogether crushing. 

'Would he be there?' Or would Jiyong run from me?

Would he even see that sweet face again? 

When he finally exited the car, he had already spent a good ten minutes psyching himself up. Breathing out into the cold air, he repeated his thoughts to himself as he began walking to the bridge.

'Choi Seunghyun, you can do it. Jiyong will be there. You can tell that he likes you too. It'll be okay... Even if he doesn't, you can respect his decision. You want him to be happy right? Walk away like a man if he rejects you. You can do it.' 

His heartbeat quickened as he turned the last corner, Seunghyun leveled his breathing into deep breaths to calm himself down. Exhaling heavily, he lifted his head towards the bridge, but saw nothing but an empty space.

Jiyong wasn't there. 

In a fluster he strode over, walking past the spot where Jiyong would sell his goods, making his way to the end of the bridge. Every step he took made his heart fall, but there was still no sign of Jiyong. Had Jiyong been here and left? He checked his watch, 10pm; would he come back? At a loss, Seunghyun decided to wait, pacing back and forth from the bridge to the corner. The cold air bit into his skin, but the heavy dullness that grew in his chest easily overpowered it. 

Losing track of time like this was easy. The moon had now shifted high into the sky, as Seunghyun trudged back in the direction of his car. He had been waiting for a good three hours. The jet lag combined with the cold was leaving him with an awful headache. 

The handsome man gave a loud sigh, massaging his temples as he drove. He felt like a fool, but much more than that, he felt pain, the kind of pain that was only possible from letting an important thing slip from your hands. 

Parking at the underground basement, Seunghyun headed to the lobby of the lavish apartment building, wanting to retrieve the mail that must have piled while he was away. Usually he would have his secretary or minder to do it, but today going home felt too early too soon. 

While sifting through the mail Seunghyun noticed a figure pacing impatiently outside the gates. A perfectly arched eyebrow raised in curiosity. Sure they had their fair share of crowds, but this area had always been quiet, hard to get to even, especially at night. He watched for a while, trying to clear his mind, glancing up from separating important letters from the unimportant ones. He would get his secretary to look through them again tomorrow. 

He noticed a pattern of nervousness as the figure walked back and forth, hands stuffed deeply into a grey quilted down jacket with a fur collar... Face obscured with a black beanie. A regular street kid… But the jacket he wore looked too expensive on him. It reminded him of a similar one he owned. Seunghyun's heart throbbed painfully, the one he had given to Jiyong. 

Then he started, 'Jiyong? No, it couldn't be... Could it?’ Seunghyun thought he must have been hallucinating. He stepped closer to the glass doors, straining for a look. But still his heart fell as he noticed an unfamiliar mop of blonde hair underneath the beanie, definitely not Jiyong. 

Then the figure turned, allowing Seunghyun a glimpse as he took a step backwards and glanced in, nervously shifting his legs. Now Seunghyun was partially distracted, he watched as hands extracted themselves from pockets, and adjusted the beanie, flicking hair off a youthful face.

Jiyong

Seunghyun ran, hurriedly punching numbers to unlock the doors. He thought he might be out of his mind by now, but he didn't care. If he was going crazy, he needed to he certain. He stopped just before the tall gates, the boy not noticing him yet. He watched as the figure heaved a sigh, finally deciding to sit on a high marble slab at the corner, drawing his knees close and resting his chin on them. He watched as a fog passed through his lips, disappearing into the night air. The youth seemed to be entertained by this, and he blew out a couple more watching his breath curl and evaporate, and then he bit his lips...  Seunghyun must have completely lost it because the next thing he knew he was out of the gates, panting from the exertion as he stopped in front of his boy, who's face was still hidden from view. 

"Ji...Jiyong?"

The boy startled at his voice before lifting his head, shaking wispy blonde strands away from his face, a small smile on his lips. "Hey..." 

Seunghyun realized he wasn't dreaming that jacket was definitely his. And this blonde boy...  "Jiyong, what are you doing here? And why are you blonde?" 

Jiyong shifted nervously, "I... You don't want to see me?" 

Seunghyun shook his head, "I want to see you... I'm glad to see you... Just I... I was disappointed when you weren't at the bridge..." He trailed off. 

He bit his lip, "I was here the whole night... I mean, I packed early today, showered and changed, and then I just came here. I thought you'd come home first... So I just, I wanted to... I'm sorry I made you wait..." 

Seunghyun rounded his arms around the boy's smaller frame, happy that he was just as eager. "No, it's okay Ji. You're here now, so it's fine." A worried smile took over, "Are you cold?" 

Jiyong shook his head, "it's okay... I did a fair bit of walking around." He laughed. "I'm so sorry, I was overexcited I guess... If I had waited at the bridge you wouldn't have had to waste your trip."

"Stop apologizing Jiyong." 

"And the hair... I just wanted change I guess... You don't like it?" Seunghyun’s fingers reaching up to touch his hair cut off his rambling. In fact, Jiyong looked better blonde. The light color of his hair seemed to reflect off his face, making his already faultless complexion more radiant. It accentuated his childlike features, making his eyes stand out even more, lips pink and full in contrast to pale skin. 

Jiyong let his eyes flit shut, caught up in the moment. And Seunghyun thought he looked beautiful, a mixture of vulnerability and anticipation. "You look good Ji..." He whispered. 

Seunghyun's voice was like a drug, and his touch, how he missed it. If only he could tell him about everything they shared. About how they had belonged together even before they met at the bridge. 

"Ji?" The voice broke through his thoughts before a warm hand took his. "What do you say, we get some coffee?" 

Jiyong nodded, his heart beating faster, painfully bringing back memories. Seunghyun was the only one who could make him feel this way with just a touch, a voice, and a presence. "Where?" 

Seunghyun wanted to bring him home, but he didn't want to rush it. After all he had promised to take it slow. "I know a place down the street. The coffee's pretty great." He said, leading him still holding his hand. "Have you eaten?" 

Jiyong shook his head. To be honest, he hadn't had much of an appetite since. The idea of retching up his food when the pain kicked in was torturing. He bit his lip again; it hurt every inch more because Seunghyun wasn't there. But he couldn't tell Seunghyun, Seunghyun didn't know because Seunghyun didn't remember. 

Seunghyun was exasperated. "Are you kidding me?" He said as he reached over the small of Jiyong's back, pushing the slight boy into the cafe, sitting them at the far corner. "You can't go without food. You're already so thin!" A waitress came with the menu and Seunghyun asked him if he was okay with a hot chocolate instead since coffee wasn't good on an empty stomach. Jiyong nodded again, playing with the menu, a little anxious at the way Seunghyun was fussing over him, and a little torn. 

"Decided yet?" Seunghyun asked, breaking into his thoughts as the waitress returned with their drinks. 

"I don't know..." Jiyong said. On bad days by the morning the drugs would wear off and the pain would return, he'd be throwing up his food until nothing was left and he'd probably pass out. And the cold weather could only make it worse. "I'm not very hungry..."

Seunghyun took a menu into his hands, "I'll order for you then, something light okay?" He had a gentle smile on his face and Jiyong couldn't say no. Seunghyun decided on a chicken wrap and hurriedly informed the waitress, apologizing for making her wait. Jiyong picked at his wrap when it arrived, plucking out the filing and vegetables and putting small portions into his mouth. Seunghyun watched him as he ate, feeling a warm sense of peacefulness in just having Jiyong around him. 

Jiyong noticed this and blushed, "is there something on my face?" He asked, nervously wiping the corners of his lips for any leftover crumbs.

Seunghyun laughed at the boy's actions and Jiyong showed him a face of grimace. "There's nothing there... I was just wondering how old you are."

For a moment Jiyong wanted to laugh thinking it was a joke. They've known each other since forever, how would Seunghyun not know his age. Seunghyun knew everything about him, his secrets, his pain, his good side and bad side. Seunghyun knew how he liked to be held, how to and how to pleasure him. And Seunghyun embraced every part of him. Seunghyun loved him. Suddenly the on-comings of the smile that played on Jiyong's lips died, his face fell as he remembered. Loved. Seunghyun now had only just begun to like him. He felt an acute pang of emptiness rip through him.

‘What happens now?’

"Ji?" Seunghyun was quick to notice. 

Jiyong looked at him, shaking his head to clear it before forcing a smile. He had decided he wanted this second chance after all hadn't he? No matter how painful it would be he wanted to stay beside Seunghyun. Jiyong mentally urged himself to man up. "Twenty-one"

"You look a lot younger!" Seunghyun remarked making Jiyong smile. He remembered Seunghyun had said the exact same thing when they first met. 

"Shall I guess your age then?" Jiyong suggested while knowing full well that he'd get the correct age. 

Seunghyun nodded, sipping from his cappuccino. "But let me warm you, people always get that wrong." 

"You look a little mature..." 'now’, he wanted to add. "You're tall... But your features are still young..." ‘So handsome... Still so handsome.' "Three years older than me. Twenty-four." Seunghyun's eyes widened in surprise and Jiyong smirked. "I'm right." He said, finishing his half-eaten lettuce. 

Seunghyun nodded, breaking into a dimpled smile. "You're one of the few people that got it correct on first attempt! I usually get twenty-seven for first tries!" Now he was laughing, the sound of his laughter a melody to Jiyong's ears. 

Jiyong smiled, 'that's because I know you Hyun.' The perfect curl of lips, the slight twinkle in those eyes, captivated him; all of the things he loved about Seunghyun, and all of the things he thought he would never be able to see again. 

They continued with easy talk and fleeting touches until the staff informed them of closing, both so caught up they did not notice the time. They bundled back out into the cold, Seunghyun unwittingly adjusting Jiyong's beanie, making the younger boy smile and blush. "I'm so sorry to keep you up, I had no idea it was so late! Are you tired Ji?" 

Jiyong smiled, "yeah a little..." He trailed off, his hand tingling where Seunghyun had accidentally brushed against it. 

"Come back to the apartment, I’ll drive you home..." Seunghyun said, grinning and Jiyong could not refuse. 

As they were walking Jiyong stopped abruptly, and Seunghyun raised an eyebrow. "You broke my door." He commented, thoughtful. 

'Ah, .' Seunghyun had a sheepish grin on his face. "Yes, I'm sorry. I was too worried when you didn't reply." 

"But you also saved my life." Jiyong's voice was soft. The sentence had much deeper meaning to Jiyong. 'You've saved my life right from when we first met.' Jiyong had his lips pursed into a pout, a slight smile, eyes lowered shyly. And Seunghyun wanted to kiss him there and then. He mentally shook himself, remembering that he wasn't going to take things too fast. After all, he didn't want to scare the fragile boy away. 

----------

"I'm off work the this week, so how about we fix that door of yours?" Seunghyun asked as they ended their drive to Jiyong's flat. 

"Oh, I can take care of that. Don't bother yourself with it." Jiyong said, fishing his keys out of his pocket and shoving them back again, realizing he had no need for them since his door was out if order.

Seunghyun held him by the arm. "But I want to. This neighborhood isn't really safe either. I'm sorry I left you without a locked door for so many days."

Jiyong offered him a warm smile, "it's really alright and I can fend for myself... I'm used to it, staying here." 

"Ji, please..." Seunghyun pleaded, putting on his best puppy eyes that he knew nobody would be able to resist. 

After a moment Jiyong finally agreed. "Please, nothing fancy." 

Seunghyun grinned and nodded, finally letting go of Jiyong's arm. 

"So, I'm here." Jiyong said with a smile, lingering beside Seunghyun. "I guess, goodnight then... I had a great time." 

"I had a great time too... I'll come by tomorrow, is noon okay with you? Do you have to set up your stall tomorrow?" Seunghyun didn't want the night to end. 

Jiyong nodded, "it's fine, I can do without selling for a day... So I'll be going up now..." He turned to leave. 

"Ji!" Seunghyun called and Jiyong spun around, eyes wide. Seunghyun stepped forwards, closing up the space between them. And Jiyong drew in a shaky breath, anticipation tugging at his heart. "Can I kiss you?" He blurted out, not able to contain what he had wanted to do the whole night. "Ah, I'm sorry. I know it's too fast but-" He was cut by the press of soft lips on his own, the warmth of Jiyong's lithe body against his chest, the escalation of the boy's heartbeat matching his own. 

"Goodnight Seunghyun, I'll see you tomorrow." Jiyong breathed against his lips, ending the kiss. With a small wave and a smile he disappeared into the lobby, not giving Seunghyun time to react. 

Jiyong's scent, a light mix of cologne, soap and shampoo; his face and the feel of his lips was all Seunghyun could think about on the drive home. He lifted a finger to his lips, recalling the kiss as if it still happened, still sent a tingling down his spine. Seunghyun had never committed to memory his past relationships. They were a healthy blank, and he figured they were always too forgettable, and he too frivolous. 

But Jiyong was special. He knew that he wanted Jiyong in his arms for a long time, wanted that pair of plump lips on his again. The way his heart was beating cemented the fact that he wouldn't ever be ready to let the boy go.