THIN AIR - CHAPTER 14

THIN AIR

 

Before you all wonder why chapter 14 has a really odd ending, it's supposed to tie in with chapter 15. 
But I'm really exhausted right now, so I can't go through editing for 15; it'll be here in a couple of days max. 

15 will be... flashbacks mostly, a little backstory on how exactly they did they end up together. :p we're moving fast with this. 
 

For the time being, please imagine I'm being horrible and dropping you all a hanging ending. Hehehehe~ <3

Once again, thank you all for reading! Enjoy Hyun & Ji's little day out~ (of course, we can't miss out a little drama)

Love you all! 

- R

 

THIN AIR – CHAPTER 14

 

He didn't have to open his eyes to know it was daylight. He knew from the way the light turned up on his eyelids, the way the easy morning warmth hit the bed. And Seunghyun turned his back to it, unwilling to wake from this comfort sandwiched between the sheets... and Jiyong. Lazily he let his hand feel across bed sheets and pillows until he came to a mop of soft hair. The handsome man cracked an eyelid open, smile registering on his face when he found his fingers tangled in a pale blonde. Jiyong's hair was the lightest shade of gold when reflected in the morning sun and it fell all over his face to reveal only full lips, slightly opened to the steady huffs of air that passed. He turned to shift closer, ruffling Jiyong's hair gently inciting a contented purr from his boyfriend as he plastered himself on top, arms sprawled over Seunghyun's chest and legs locking with his.  

"Is it time to wake yet?" Jiyong yawned, lips pressed dangerously close to Seunghyun's . 

Seunghyun twitched, laughing and pushing the boy's head away from the sensitive spot. "No, but I might wake sooner if you keep doing that." 

"What?" Jiyong pressed in, hands roaming along his boyfriend's shirt, legs shifting higher. "I'm still sleeping..." He whispered, keeping his eyes innocently closed. 

"I'm sure you are..." He shifted, a delicious tingle sweeping through him as the boy let out a soft groan; his morning wood coming accidentally into contact with Seunghyun's hip. 

"But I'm still sleepy..." He complained, letting their contact slide, though somehow shakily. 

Seunghyun chuckled, shutting his eyes, a hand resting on top of Jiyong's head. "Then go back to sleep... We'll take care of that later..." Jiyong hummed in agreement, stifling another yawn before throwing an arm over his eyes to shut out the sunlight, drifting back into the lazy comfort of sleep. 

 

"Hyun!" A weight landed beside him but Seunghyun was sure he wanted to sleep more. But an unusually excited Jiyong who was no doubt wide awake and had currently taken up the task to ensure he would have no more of such luxury. "Hyun!" 

"Five minutes love..." He mumbled into his pillow, turning his head away from Jiyong for good measure. 

"Hyu-un..." The boy whined before Seunghyun felt the bump of a pillow flung gently against his back. "Fine, I'm going without you then!" 

The bed shifted as Jiyong scrambled to get up, but Seunghyun had rose and tugged him into an arm-lock before he could really get off the bed. "You're so demanding today..." He grumbled, sleep mused hair brushing against Jiyong's nape. He opened his eyes unwillingly to the too bright smile on the blonde's face. "Kiss me awake?" His lover's smile spread as a blush crept up his cheeks, lips met his with a small pressure and the sweet whispers of good morning. "So where were you thinking of going without me?" He stretched, untangling himself from Jiyong's arms. "And I see you've found a way to wear more of my clothes?" 

Jiyong chuckled at the look of amazement on Seunghyun's face, standing to give him full view of his pink checkered shirt that had transformed into an outerwear worn long on a black sleeved shirt and navy blue skinnies. "You like it?" He asked. 

Seunghyun groaned as he stretched and got out of bed, rounding him behind the waist. "You've got to stop seducing me in my clothes or I'll be having impossibly vivid pictures of how hot you look when I'm wearing them myself..." He said grinning. 

Jiyong laughed, "take a shower baby, we're heading out." 

When Seunghyun was done and dressed, Jiyong had gotten a light meal of eggs and chicken slices prepared and waiting at the table, along with a steaming pot of coffee and a fruit salad. The taller man tossed the towel aside, helping himself to an apple cube as the boy pushed his coffee cup to him, a fond smile on his face. "Aww, I'll need to marry you, you know?" He laughed, tucking blonde strands behind his lover's ear. "You're the best." He continued, cutting up a huge portion of egg and stuffing it into his mouth. "Where are we going again?" 

"It's the last Friday of the month so there's a sale down at the arts market..." Jiyong explained, taking a sip of the coffee. "So I thought of buying some stuff and then heading to the workspace..." He pouted a little, lips twitching. "I was wondering if you would like to come see me work, you know..." He ate a slice of chicken, and then an orange. "If you like to... I can teach you." 

Seunghyun smiled, beyond glad with the way Jiyong had opened up. "Yes, of course." He leaned to take his hand, "I'm rather clumsy so I don't know if I'll pick up well, but I'd love to." 

They had made their way to the arts market on foot, Jiyong insisting on not taking the car, since the weather wasn't too cold and that it was a short walk. Along the way Jiyong had introduced that the place was very much like an open-air flea, where artists or enthusiasts would buy their goods at a lower price. "Oh! So you're an artist?" Seunghyun laughed, amused at the annoyed expression on Jiyong's face, the younger boy refusing to classify himself as one.

"I'm just..." He started, smiling at Seunghyun before bending to pick up some huge rolls of wires. "It became a habit of sorts..." 

"Ah, my boyfriend's an artist..." Seunghyun teased, helping Jiyong by looping the wires under his arm; it was too huge even to fit into the boy's gigantic bag, slung over his petite frame. Jiyong elbowed him in the ribs, thanking the vendor and paying. Seunghyun winced and pulled him closer to whisper into his ear "let me add that to the list of things you're good at..." 

Jiyong blushed, shivering involuntarily as Seunghyun's breath hit his ear. "Say that only after you've seen me work." He scolded, thoughtfully pausing. "No, wait... Don't say it while I work... I might get distracted." 

Seunghyun laughed, following Jiyong who had walked off too fast from him, clearly embarrassed. "What else do you need, Mr. Artist Boyfriend?" He said loudly in English, the less the folks around them understood the better. 

Jiyong shot him a glare before grinning, "a couple more..." He lifted a finger to his lips, pursing them together. "Leather straps... Some silver stuff... Oh!" He cut himself off, something catching his eye from the store the passed. "How much for this?" The blonde inquired, toying with a small bag of precious stones, the color of a strong opal. Seeming quite satisfied with the price he was offered, the boy reached for his wallet and paid, stuffing it with the rest of the items into his bag. When he was done, he pulled out his phone to check the time. "We should hurry, I have the workspace from three..." He mumbled, grabbing Seunghyun along as he brought them to the end of the marketplace, to the last vendor who sold scrap pieces of leather and silver straps. 

"Ahjusshi!" Jiyong greeted, a bright smile on his face; Seunghyun couldn't help but let his lips lift, intrigued and very much taken by this side of his new boyfriend. 

"Oh isn't it Jiyong!" The elder street vendor replied, fondly patting Jiyong's cheek. The blonde seemed pleased, smiling shyly. He then turned to Seunghyun, giving him a curious once over. "Is this your friend?" 

Jiyong nodded, "Yes, Ahjusshi, this is Seunghyun," he gestured and Seunghyun bowed, introducing himself. The pair exchanged conversation, occasionally including Seunghyun with Jiyong asking his opinions on the items he had picked out. When the younger male was finally satisfied, he pulled out a small bag and scooped his buy into it, paying the elder vendor, bowing before they left. 

Jiyong led him to a deserted looking warehouse building not far from the market, pushing the door open with a loud creak. "I know it looks a little... haunted," he started, grinning and stopping by a vending machine and punching out two coffees before greeting an unwashed looking male smoking a cigarette behind a desk, who spoke with an equally stoic voice informing Jiyong of his room. Seunghyun supposed the man was either the one responsible for taking the bookings for the workspace or the owner. They exchanged a bow and a nod, both not saying a word to each other. 

Jiyong led him up a short flight of stairs, pushing the door open to let him in first. The room was covered in paint-splattered walls, markings of masking tape and the missing shapes of art paper stuck. Seunghyun traced a finger on the walls, letting out a breath as he took in his surroundings carefully. There was an easel stand here and there a few worktables and empty bottles of paint and glue. He was quite impressed, having never been to places like this. "Wow..." He breathed, looking wide eyed at Jiyong who had pulled a beanie over his stray hair and pulled out a pair of overalls from his bag. 

The smaller male turned to him and grinned, extracting a box of tools and the various goods he purchased from the market. Still smiling he walked to him and handed him the coffee. "I know right? Doesn't look like much but this place..."

"This place is great," Seunghyun continued, joining him as he walked to the windows, throwing it open to let fresh air in. Jiyong lit a cigarette, pulling an old glass bottle over as an ashtray, offering Seunghyun one. 

They both stood there got awhile, Jiyong affixed on the scenery outside, watching people pass by the street below; Seunghyun resting his chin on Jiyong's head, arms tight around his lover's waist. "This is great Ji..." Seunghyun whispered, exhaling a puff of grey. "So this is where you work..." 

Jiyong turned into his arms, putting out the spent cigarette. "Yeah..." He mumbled, voice soft; playing with Seunghyun's jacket zipper. 

"I'm so glad I can understand you better like this..." The taller man said, nuzzling his face into the base of Jiyong's beanie, near his neck; making the blonde laugh and squirm out of his grasp. 

"Come on," he said, leading Seunghyun behind a work desk, "we haven't got all day! I'll just get a few pieces done and then I'll walk you through a couple okay?"

Seunghyun hummed nodding, sitting on a stool while Jiyong busied himself, flipping through his sketchbook and cutting up various odd pieces of leather and wires. Gloved hands worked with a plier, fixing the tiny strands of metal and fabric, pleating and weaving them through little nooks and crannies. Jiyong then rolled his stool and the piece he was working on to what Seunghyun presumed was a welder, giving the taller man a wave to scoot further away. He watched as the blonde fitted a guard over his face and eyes, the machine whirling to life as sparks flew near the vicinity, falling to ash at Jiyong's feet. 

Seunghyun jumped a little, shocked and ultimately surprised by Jiyong, all caught up and immersed in work. Though his face was hidden from view, Seunghyun thought that he looked beautiful like that. Slender shoulders and arms tensed in concentration, sleeves rolled up just enough to reveal the sinewy lines of tendons beneath fair skin, gloves fingers pausing occasionally to turn the piece in his hands over; turning it into some sort of perfection. Jiyong... His Jiyong seemed surreal enough to unable to be kept within boundaries, finely stepping between the lines of unspoken strength and gentleness. Seunghyun could feel his heart swell, admiration following his growing attraction. He felt proud, so immensely overwhelmed by the fact that Jiyong belonged to him. 

A couple of hours passed, Seunghyun had gone down and returned with more coffee, Jiyong already done with welding his third piece. The boy lifted the mask off his face, pulling it off and letting out a long exhale, wiping his forehead with the back of his arm. He offered Seunghyun a quick smile before rolling over to do the finishing touches, clipping and clasping what seemed to be a bracelet together. "Are you bored?" The fluid voice asked, tearing off his beanie to wipe down his hair. 

"Nope," Seunghyun crossed his legs, waving a novel at him. "I've been trying to read now and then, but you're distracting me." Jiyong grinned at him, tucking blonde hair behind his ear as he inspected his pieces, bringing it to the light and tweaking the edges as he deemed fit. He had barely finished two pages before he heard Jiyong curse, the sharp clatter of something falling to the floor. Jiyong was at his bag, hands rummaging the insides, a frown on his face. Seunghyun looked on curious; until he noticed the boy's hand clutching his side, face growing pale. The taller man dropped the book, bolting to Jiyong's side, steadying him. "Baby, you okay?" 

Jiyong gave him a weak smile; hand still in his bag. "I'm fine... I just need to... my painkillers..."

Seunghyun took his hands making him sit on the stool, "I'll help you... I'll look for them." Sweat poured over a pallid upper lip as the boy doubled over his knees trying to reel the pain in. Calmer than Jiyong was, Seunghyun quickly managed to find them in a zipped pouch, and handed it to the boy who took it into his shaking hands, fingers fumbling weightlessly at the zip. Jiyong cursed softly, willing himself to get a grip on the zip, his fingers refusing to cooperate with him. The boy let out a desperate cry and Seunghyun immediately took the bag from him, crouching down "let me," He coaxed, Jiyong's hands. 

Jiyong shook his head, "I... I can do it..." His eyelids fluttered, shutting for a second and then opening again. Seunghyun could almost see the haze threatening to take over. "Seunghyun... Please... I can..." The small figure swayed as exhaustion took him; he fell forwards into Seunghyun's arms, his body shutting down to cope with the pain. 

"Ji!" Seunghyun held him, feeling bird limbs twitch in a futile struggle. Jiyong's head lulled against him, throat unable to open up to protest. Seunghyun hurriedly slipped two pills out from the orange cylinder into the boy's mouth, holding his head upright to keep him from choking. "Jiyong, stay awake." The boy made a small noise of frustration as eyes snapped open. Using the fading strains of control he had left Jiyong let himself focus on Seunghyun's eyes. Finding resolve in blurred vision of his boyfriend's face. "That's it baby..." The taller man coaxed, running a thumb along Jiyong's cheek, watching his Adam's apple slide as he swallowed. "Okay... You're okay now..." And Jiyong's eyes slipped shut, body sliding limp backwards. He carried the boy to the corner, letting him rest; securing his jacket over him. He stood up, wanting to get the boy a hot drink. Cold hands wandered to his and Seunghyun stopped, bending down beside the boy again. 

"Hyu-n..." 

"Hey, I'm just going to get you some hot water to drink..."

Jiyong's features tightened into a pained frown as he tried to speak, "but... There isn't... Anywhere near..."

"Just rest," he pushed the boy back gently, letting his head lean against the wall. The grip on his sleeve drooped and Seunghyun undid the blonde's fingers, giving them a tight squeeze before leaning to kiss Jiyong's forehead. "I'll be back real quick..." 

--------------------

 

"Ji... Jiyong," the boy stirred, heavy lids blinking rapidly as warm hands shook him. Seunghyun had returned to find Jiyong bundled underneath his jacket, in a corner of the workspace. "Jiyong."

"Hyun..." The words passed like bated breath, the rest of his body refusing to wake along with his mind. The sharp pain from before had subsided a little, leaving an ache that drained him too much to fight against. Every ounce of his body weighed a ton into his bones. He registered Seunghyun sitting beside him, pulling him close. But he could barely feel his warmth or the touch of his fingers through the numbness that had washed over his skin. 

"Here, drink this." Jiyong felt a slight heat beneath his nose and crinkled his face, blinking his eyes open again. Seunghyun gently blew at the steaming water to cool it slightly before pressing the rim of the tumbler against Jiyong's lips, tipping it so the boy could drink. He repeated this a couple of times until Jiyong had drank a satisfactory amount. "Feeling better love?" Seunghyun asked, a worried frown on his face. 

Jiyong murmured a response, now curled into Seunghyun's chest. The older man tilted his face by the chin, wiping down the sweat that had worked itself out on boy's face. He wrapped a protective arm around the Jiyong's still trembling form, hoping to warm him up even a little. "Hyu-n," eyelids fluttered close as the boy paused for a breath. "I'm just... I'm going to... rest here for a while... Okay?" 

The older man expelled a heavy sigh that the boy in his arms was oblivious to; never feeling weaker than he was now. There was a terrible and suffocating sense of desperation and anger. He wanted to do more, something, anything to lighten the boy's pain, and he would give everything not to see Jiyong suffer. But there was nothing that he could have done. Seunghyun wordlessly pulled Jiyong closer, wrapping his arms around him; biting back the tears that threatened to fall from his eyes. It wouldn't do good, no it wouldn't help anything, it would be so much worse if Jiyong woke to see him broken and he couldn't allow himself that. He circles along Jiyong's back; silently praying that it offered at least a small comfort that he was near. 

 

The day fell dark around the two who had fallen asleep wrapped up in each other. Seunghyun woke first, to a rustle in his arms. A groggy frown settled on his face as he stretched his back, arms relaxing from their hold. The smaller boy stirred again, a bony elbow digging into the awkward spot on Seunghyun's thigh as he shifted, causing the older man to flinch. "Hyun?" Jiyong's hair was a mess, pale lips pursed into a pout, blinking the lightheadedness out of his system. 

"Ji," Seunghyun helped him sit upright, hearing the boy groan aloud as he gathered his limbs to himself. Sleepy eyes found his and hands slipped around his waist, Jiyong turned to face him, squinting as he smiled. 

"Hey..." He muttered, taking a deep breath. "I'm so sorry," he whispered, burying his head into the crevice of the older one's chest. 

Seunghyun wrapped an arm around Jiyong, the other one still numb from being in one position for too long. "For what?" The dark haired man leaned, brushing his lips along his boyfriend's hairline. 

"For earlier..." Came the soft reply. 

Seunghyun stiffened at the boy's words, sitting upright; he pushed Jiyong off him gently, looking into his eyes strongly. "I don't get it, you're sorry for getting sick? You're sorry for being in pain?" He shook his head, "There's nothing to be sorry for Ji... How can you be sorry for something you can't help? Something that I..." his raised voice fell, cracking; "could do nothing for..." 

"Hyun..." Jiyong cupped his cheek, "don't say that..." 

"No Ji... I'm sorry," his chin was buried at his collar. "I couldn't do anything." 

"Seunghyun," Jiyong coaxed him, but he didn't budge, the helplessness was eating him inside. "Look at me..." Seunghyun felt he was unworthy of the precious hands that held him with such gentleness. "Choi Seunghyun!" it was Jiyong's turn to raise his voice and Seunghyun could see, no, he could hear the way the younger boy's breath shuddered with the effort. Jiyong made older man face him and a different pain settled within, it hurt so much more to see the raw sadness in those proud eyes. Exactly what had a person like him done to deserve the love Seunghyun was giving him? His whole life was a mess, everything about him was wrong, and yet Seunghyun... Everything that they shared was right... So right. He wanted to be selfish. He didn't want to let him go, he didn't want to let him be taken away, not again, not ever. And he could right? If he tried harder, if he fought twice... Tears threatened to fall, but Jiyong held them back. He needed to be strong now; Seunghyun needed him to be strong. "I love you,"

"Jiyong, I..." 

"No," he shook his head, a smile coming to his lips. "You're good for me. Seunghyun, you're enough for me." 

"Baby..." An angry tear slid out his eye and Jiyong was quick to notice, hushing him; kissing the tears away. 

"You're all I need... And you're here," he paused. "That's enough for me." Jiyong's gaze did not waver, even as hands left his lover's cheek and went to his arms, running fingers down from his elbows to his wrists and finally finding his hands. "I shouldn't have said what I said earlier... But I'm quite sorry for ruining our date," he gave Seunghyun a sheepish grin before he checked the clock. "We still have some time, let me make it up to you." He made a move to stand, which threw Seunghyun's emotions and guard off. The taller man took to his feet, holding Jiyong as straightened on his feet. 

"What are you doing standing up so fast?" Seunghyun gasped. 

Jiyong flashed him another smile, eyes curling into mini crescents and all teeth and a perfect strip of gums. "Come on, come here." He said, beckoning as he walked to the table, steadying himself at first by pressing a palm on the wall. "Come sit here." He parted a high stool. Seunghyun gave him a quizzical look, not sure what he was up to. Not sure if he was even physically up to it. The boy took Seunghyun's hand, arranging the goods from the market and some tools close by. "You ready baby? I'm going to guide you to making your first piece!" 

Seunghyun sighed, hanging his head; he knew by now Jiyong was stubborn when he wanted to be. "Are you sure you're up to this?" He played with a piece in his hand, "please don't push yourself just because I-" 

Jiyong cut him off, "Am I not Mr. Artist Boyfriend huh?” he quirked an eyebrow. His English though not perfect but it sounded good. The way words roll off his tongue; every slight movement of his lips. "I'm a professional Hyun, I require perfection." He teased, and Seunghyun lightened up. “I’ll stop you if I feel sick.”

"You sure about this Ji?" Seunghyun spun towards him, playing with ends of his hair. 

Jiyong smiled at the easing of his lover's shoulders, "Of course, I wouldn’t let you make a bad piece. If it’s gorgeous, I could sell it for money. And if you're good at it then..." He smirked, "I get myself an apprentice!"

Seunghyun rolled his eyes, "you mean you get yourself a money-milking cow." 

Jiyong laughed, grabbing a stool next to him, "but you're a willing cow; that's different." He passed Seunghyun a simple design he had drawn. "We're going to start with this and then you're going to make one of your own." 

Seunghyun made a face at the design, rotating the paper on the table. "Uh, anything less complicated, boyfriend?" 

Jiyong scrunched his nose, pouting, "Ah, this is one of my simpler designs..."

"I'm not following!" He complained.

"Trust me, its-" he stopped, Seunghyun had suddenly moved close, face a few precious millimeters away. 

"If I kiss you now, will you let me off?" He waited until a breath escaped Jiyong's lips, cool against his own. Seunghyun tipped the boy's chin, pressing in for a kiss. Tongue, heat; moisture, air. His hand travelled to the boy's arched back, dangerously low; he smiled into the kiss; lips tingling with the small sound that escaped Jiyong's throat. 

They parted panting, both flushed. Jiyong had his hand to his chest, trying to still his racing heart. "You'd still have to do it you know," he added with a shaky laugh, quickly passing Seunghyun a plier and the wires, "Try". 

Seunghyun looked at him with uncertainty, maneuvering his first wire; it wasn't long before he managed to get them at least in the shape the drawing depicted, a decent circle. He looked at the sketch again, trying to figure out how and where to coil the pleated strips of silver around it. 

"Here, let me." Jiyong's hands were over his in an instant, guiding his fingers and the pliers, while explaining simply where the pieces should fit so they would lock against each other. "You need to... just," he paused, slipping the strip under another's nook, "Notice the details..." 

Seunghyun watched his face as he spoke, the high bridge of his nose, the perfect shape of his brows, creased into a concentrated frown. The clarity of his almond shaped eyes and the way he would pout when he spoke. He hummed in agreement, by now Jiyong's hands were the ones doing the work, and he was just letting the boy guide him. If he hadn't already noticed how insanely beautiful Jiyong was, he would have now. Seunghyun let out an involuntary sigh; and Jiyong turned to look at him, questioning. He removed a hand from Jiyong's grip to his face, dreamily tracing a delicate jawline. "I was just noticing the details..." Jiyong blushed and his hands jerked a little in surprise. Seunghyun smiled, how he loved it when the boy blushed. "You know you have the most beautiful eyes..." 

Jiyong opened his mouth to say something but decided against it, smacking Seunghyun lightly on the forehead. "Not me, the details of the piece!"

Seunghyun winced from the impact, chuckling as he tried to regain composure. "I can't help it!"

"Idiot!" Jiyong chided, quickly setting them on track again. "You're almost done," he said, shifting away from him to pick up him novel. 

"Where are you going?" 

The boy laughed, "You pick up fast, so when you're done with the clasp you can do another piece." He flipped to the first page of Seunghyun's book, reading the synopsis and purposefully ignoring the exasperation on Seunghyun's face. "I'm just going to be here reading your novel."

"If you say so..." Seunghyun pursed his lips together. "Don't hit me again if it turns out shabby."