THIN AIR - CHAPTER 1

THIN AIR

 

Seunghyun sighed, stuffing chilly hands further into his pocket, feeling the harsh winter air hit him as he ducked lower into his scarf. This winter in Seoul seemed set to be one of the coldest yet. It was barely dark, yet the crowds didn’t throng the streets. As the weather would have given it, people preferred to keep their activities indoors. The cafes, restaurants and karaoke bars would prosper. But Seunghyun had always been someone who appreciated silence and quiet. It helped him to clear his mind clutter. And when the streets were empty and dusted with the low grays of winter, they were always more beautiful to look at, the skyscrapers bordering on ethereal forms.

Humming a small tune, he smiled to himself. Today, he was given the best news, having being in his father’s company and tutelage for as long as he can remember; his old man had finally seen fit to officially be handling the business over to him. At twenty-four, it seemed life had finally begun, it’s bits and pieces all falling into place. In his mind’s eye, he could only see things getting better.

A small shuffle close-by caught his attention, snapping him out of his reverie. The man looked up, finding the source. There it was, in a small corner by the bridge; a figure hunched, wrapped in what seemed to be too thin a fabric for this weather. A street vendor; ornaments spread out on a rug. If his memory served him well, this vendor was always here and, occasionally Seunghyun would notice him.

The handsome young man strode closer, feeling more open and generous today than usual; his dimples deepening as he up his first conversation with the vendor. “It’s cold isn’t it?”

The vendor shifted by a slight, pushing heavy cotton out of his eyes to face the source of the voice. “Ah, yes. This winter is going to be terrible.”

It wasn’t the way that the small voice trembled, sentence disrupted by shivers that caught his attention. Unexpectedly, it was the vendor itself; a petite boy in his youth, definitely not older than he was. And here, he always thought these vendors were older folk. Seunghyun chuckled at the thought, amazed at the insight a small conversation could bring.

“I’m sorry, did I say something wrong?”

Seunghyun started, looking up again, this time in proper. “Oh no, I’m sorry.” He let out a small laugh despite himself. “I was thinking you’re a little young to be doing this.”

Now it was the boy’s turn to laugh. And Seunghyun, growing up constantly surrounded by his father’s business associates and their polite, suppressed greetings; was instantly taken by the way almond eyes curved at the edges, lighting up a delicate face, and how chapped but full lips gave way to reveal possibly, the most sincere smile he’d ever seen. Up close, the boy looked better than he thought. He had docile, almost effeminate features, clear skin; though no doubt made pale by the harsh weather. He felt for the second time since their brief meeting that the boy had surprised him, completely knocking over his old-fashioned mindset that street vendors should be old, gruff and easily irritable.

“Here”. He said, now undoing his scarf and handing it to the younger boy.

The boy’s eyes widened in shock and he rejected, shaking his head to reveal wispy hair browned by the elements. “No, I can’t.”

He pushed it closer to the youth, who as shaking despite his refusal. “You need it more than I do. The temperatures are expected to dip even further these couple of days. So unless you have a death wish, you should take it.”

“I…” he had opened his mouth to speak but stopped, seeing that there was no way the man in front of him would take a rejection. He sighed, exhaling a breath into the cold air, before reaching out to accept the scarf. He pulled it over his neck and up to his lips, features softening from the warmth. “You’re too kind.” He whispered.

Seunghyun could not see his face completely now, but he was certain he caught a glimpse of wistfulness; with the way the boy’s eyes fell lashes obscuring translucent cheeks, a tinge of sadness. And so he tried to cheer him up, squatting down in front of him picking at his goods. “I’m Seunghyun, by the way…” he said, smiling as he toyed with an ornate silver ring in a 3D shape of an eagle in flight. When he got no response from the boy, he paused looking up expectantly. He eyed the boy closely, his lips curling up into a practiced smile. “And your name?”

“Umm…” The boy stuttered, avoiding his eyes. Seunghyun watched in amusement as nervous hands flew to dark hair before settling to toy with the ends of his scarf. “I… I’m Jiyong.”

He stretched out his hand to offer a handshake and Jiyong seemed to flinch, darting backwards. “Choi Seunghyun,” he repeated, keeping a kindly smile on his face and extending his hand closer.

Seconds passed before the younger edged close, eyeing him with an expression that Seunghyun could not put a finger to. “Kwon, Kwon Jiyong.” His voice was soft, like a light but clear ring of bells. Seunghyun decided there and then that he liked the way Jiyong spoke, the tone in his voice and the way sounds phonetically transformed into words on his lips. The boy lifted a bony hand, slipping it into the other man’s with uncertainty.

Seunghyun offered a firm grip and Jiyong drew in a breath of cold air, so sharp that it sent him into a coughing fit. Seunghyun looked on in shock as the younger man curled into himself, shaking violently as he coughed, tears spilling out of pain-sealed eyes. “Are you alright?” He asked, concerned. “Did I scare you? I didn’t mean to scare you!”

Jiyong only shook his head in response, worming to face away from the taller man, it was painful to watch the boy in such an uncomfortable stage. Before Seunghyun could register, he had reached for the boy’s shoulders, holding him gently as the youth calmed down, panting. “You okay, Jiyong?”

The boy nodded profusely, face temporarily flushed from the rush of blood. “I’m okay,” he managed, while drawing in deep breaths to still himself.

Seunghyun heaved a sigh of relief as he let the boy out of his grasp. “You scared me less! I thought you were really going to die on me!” Inciting a look of embarrassment from the boy before the awkward silence was broken with laughter.

“I have nothing to offer you, but if its okay with you, you can take your pick,” the boy offered, gesturing to his goods. “As a thank you and I’m sorry for scaring you gift…”

“Oh no, you don’t have to!” Seunghyun mused, not too willing to share with that this conversation would not have happened if not for his good spirits.

“Please, I insist.”

Jiyong had looked at him so imploringly that he could not find it in his heart to refuse him. And then there was something about this young vendor that drew him in, something special about the way his eyes sparkled when he smiled that made Seunghyun think that just for today, he was quite willing to keep an acquaintance. He contemplated, finally singling out the eagle ring he was toying with a while ago. “If you insist, then I guess it’s this then.” He laughed, slipping the ring on his index finger.

“You have taste,” the boy complimented, “It’s one of my best pieces too.”

“You made all these?” Now Seunghyun was impressed.

The petite boy bit his lip, suddenly lost in thought as he nodded, eyes that were looking on the floor had their focus on some place far away. “Kind of picked up a skill, you know…” He lifted his gaze to meet Seunghyun’s and the older man froze, feeling the searching gaze looking into him and through him.

Was he looking for something? Did he find it?

Before he could probe, Jiyong looked away, breaking eye-contact and shaking stray hair out of his face; he suppressed yet another shiver as the dusky evening gave way to night. “You know… I, I should go.” Seunghyun said, his own voice coming out softer than he expected. Something about that gaze had him undone, itching at him from the inside. “I have a couple of errands to run and…” He didn’t even know why he bothered explaining.

The boy only nodded solemnly, lips forming a smile that seemed too thin for his age. “Bye Seunghyun.”

His breath hitched in his throat at the sound of his name coming from the boy, and now it was Seunghyun’s turn to advert his gaze. His feet shuffled, mind and heart racing. “Yeah, bye Jiyong. And thank you for the ring.” He said, forcing a smile that he hoped was somehow not as awkward as he felt.

The boy just looked at him, the same pensive gaze burning into him as he turned and walked down the street. As he left, he picked up speed unwittingly. It was a strange sensation, feeling this daunted from a stranger’s gaze. He’d consider his own confidence level to be fairly high but for once, Choi Seunghyun was actually afraid of the things he would say if he had stayed any longer.