SHORT, Kevin, SHORT

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe, Catch A Groom Before You Go!

 

*Jisue’ POV*

My eyes were wide in surprise as I stared at the man before me. Actually, as I stared down at the short man before me. The tiptop of his head just reached my eyes.

His eyes moved downward and at first I got nervous, but then I realized he was looking at his lonely hand.

“Oh! Hi,” I grabbed his hand and shook it vigorously. “I’m Jisue, yes. It’s nice to meet you.”

“It’s really cold out. Should we find a restaurant?”

“Yes,” I nodded my head deliberately and he laughed.

It was a little surprising when he locked my arm with his, but I let it go. That was a datey thing to do, right?

“Do you have a preference on where we eat?” he asked, glancing up at me.

“Um, yeah, I’m kind of picky. How about that chicken place there,” I nodded in its direction.

“You’re a jokester,” he smiled. “I like that. No, I have the perfect place in mind.”

--------------------

My white cardigan looked more like a picnic blanket in the fancy restaurant, and my flats made me one of the shortest girls there, despite my naturally tall height. Every other woman in the place was wearing some sort of dress and heels. Most of the men wore suits or even tuxes. As Suho slipped out of his jacket, I realized he had dressed accordingly, making me the odd ball out; literally.

“Let me get that for you,” Suho pulled out my chair, then scooted me in.

“What kind of food do they have here?” I asked, grabbing a menu right away.

“Well, there’s a lot of French cuisine. The chef here makes the best pasta and escargot,” he replied, seating himself.

“Hello, my name is Kim Mihyeon and I will be your server toda- oh hello Suho!” he smiled, then glanced at me. “Oh, is this your date?”

“Mihyeon, this is Jisue. Jisue, meet Mihyeon,” he nodded with a smile.

“Hello,” I smiled awkwardly.

“She’s so cute!” the lady remarked, making me feel like more of a teddy bear than a person. “I know the chef will have something special for you to drink on this fine night.”

“You seize to amaze me,” Suho remarked and the lady hurried off to the kitchen.

“Come here often?” I raised my eyes at him from across the table.

“It’s a nice place,” he replied, sipping the complimentary glass of water in front of him. “Have you ever been here?”

“Sort of,” I replied uncomfortably.

Truth be told, this was my second time in the restaurant. I went there about a year ago with Kevin. He had received a bonus at work and we decided to splurge in celebration. Since the menu didn’t appeal to us, we ended up at the bar. Well, after a few drinks things got a little crazy. Let’s just say that we didn’t leave by choice. I was just thankful that nobody recognized me.

“Sort of? Are you one of those people that never gives a straight answer?” Suho grinned.

“Yeah, sure, um… what did you say they served that was really good?” I hid behind my menu.

“Pasta and escargot. You’ll love it!”

“Okay, I’ll have that then,” I set my menu down on the table and stood up. “Uh, gotta tinkle.”

After wandering around like a lost puppy for a good five minutes, I finally found the ladies room. Not minding the few other people in there, I hopped up on the sink counter, dangling my feet off the edge. I dug around in my purse until I’d found my phone and hurriedly punched in Kevin’s number. As soon as I heard him pick up I began talking, not even giving him a chance to greet me.

“Do you want me to go back to the Philippines?!” I shouted.

A lady washing her hands looked up at me in surprise. However she looked away when I gave her the stink eye.

“Woah, Jisue slow down. Aren’t you supposed to be on your date?” Kevin asked, obviously confused.

“I am! Why do you think I’m so angry?! He- He’s classy and he’s rich and… and Kevin… HE’S SHORT!!!!”

“Short?!” Kevin shouted back. “I made sure all the guys I picked were at least your height or taller!”

“Well I’m taking you to get your eyes checked, because this guy is a midget!”

“He can’t be that bad.”

“I have to look down into his eyes.”

“Ohhh, you’re looking into his eyes?” Kevin prodded teasingly.

“It’s not funny!” I snapped. “I can’t do this!!!”

“I don’t know what happened, but you can’t just leave now.”

“What am I going to do?!”

“Just eat fast. That’s something you’re good at.”

“Kevin!!!!” I barked. “Come get me now!!!!!”

“I can’t!!!!!”

“Why not?!?!?!”

“…my show is on.”

“KEVIN!!!!”

“Okay, fine! But when I start freaking out because I missed Youngmin’s confession to Mina, I’m putting all the blame on you!”

“Oh I’m so afraid,” I feigned nervousness. “I’m more important that Misun or whatever!”

“MINA!”

“I don’t care get over here now!!!!”

I ended the call in a huff, throwing my phone into my bag. My eyes closed and I leaned my head back against the mirror in frustration.

“Waeeee,” I groaned, opening my eyes to see a young child pressed up against the opposite wall, staring at me with wide eyes. “What are you looking at?”

“I- uh, uh… nothing-,”

“Wash your hands. Cleanliness is next to Godliness.” With that, I hopped off the counter, brushed myself off, and went back out into the fancy dining hall.