Morning Sunshine!

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe, Catch A Groom Before You Go!

*Jisue’s POV*

A mixture of dreams and clips of reality took over my life for a period of time I couldn’t specify on. I remembered feeling really hot one time, then waking up and feeling like I was lying in a tub of ice. Another time I remembered being shaken awake, yet no one was touching me. There were so many faces; I couldn’t remember which were from my dreams and which were really there.

*Kevin’s POV*

I leaned against the wall by the vending machine and sighed. Three days had passed since Jisue first showed signs of hypothermia. None of the doctors could tell me exactly when she’d wake up. I hated having to see her so fragile and helpless lying in that bed, but in some ways it was better. When she woke up she’d be confronted by the authorities. They had to look into her files; it was inevitable. Now they knew she was an illegal alien and she’d have to leave.

“Aigoo,” I breathed, leaning my head back against the wall. “This girl causes nothing but trouble.”

After purchasing a pack of cookies from one of the machines, I slowly made my way back up to the floor where Jisue’s hospital room was located.

*Jisue’s POV*

“Kevin?”

My eyes stung from the lights overhead and I rolled my head to the side to see my friend dumping the crumbs from a pack of cookies into his mouth.

“Ya,” I mumbled, turning my head forward again. “Get your face out of those cookies and show me some concern.”

“Jisue!” Kevin jumped, almost falling out of his chair, and shoved the wrapper into his pocket. “You’re awake! Omo… how are you feeling? Do you remember me? What’s your name?”

“Uhhhh,” I groaned, feeling drowsy. “First, I called you by your name. Of course I know your name. Second, you already gave away what my name was anyway. Third… I feel horrid.”

“Well you’ve been sick for three days-,”

“Three days?!” My eyes shot open and I attempted to sit up.

“Careful!” Kevin put a hand behind my head and lowered me back onto the bed gently, “You’re still very weak right now.”

“What even happened?”

“Remember falling into the lake? Soohyun saved you and then we went back to your place.”

“…yeahhhh,” the memories slowly came back.

“Well you caught pneumonia and out. You’ve been in the hospital for three days.”

“Ohhhhh,” I moaned, annoyed by the reality. “So me marrying Zhang Yixing… that was a dream?”

“Yeah, I’m afraid so.”

“Oh crap,” my eyes widened for the second time then darted toward Kevin. “Did they look at my records? Do they know…”

He nodded and my heart sank.

“How long do I have?” I closed my eyes and my head swirled again.

“Thirty days.”

Stupid pneumonia. Stupid ducks. Stupid Soohyun for scaring the stupid ducks. Stupid mom for shipping me off illegally. Stupid everything!

“The police said they’re going to keep a watch on you. If you try to escape undercover it could mean prison.”

“Can’t we just get married Kevin? Just for now? We know enough about each other to pass any test!” I pleaded.

“You know we can’t,” he looked down at the ground.

“Please! It’d only be for a little while. I know it’d be weird for you but please just do this for me!”

“Jisue… I’m sorry. I can’t! I’m-,”

“So this is why your mother hired me.”

Kevin and I both froze at the sound of Soohyun’s voice in the doorway. We turned to see him standing there with a bouquet of flowers in one hand and an unamused look on his face. 

“Ohhh, are those for me?” I glanced at the flowers with a giant grin, trying to get off topic.

“You manipulated me and used my business for illegal purposes!” Looking uneasy, he peaked out the door, then shut it. He walked across the room to me and lowered his voice. “I could lose my job because of you!”

“Looks like someone needs to do better background checks,” I smirked with a shrug.

“I should’ve known a girl as rude as you was a criminal,” he scoffed, throwing the flowers at my lap and adding sarcastically, “Hope you feel better.”

“Soohyun!” Kevin jumped up and grabbed his arm. There was something about my friend that calmed people down. Kevin stared into the other man’s eyes softly and with understanding. “Listen. I can’t lose Jisue. She’s my best friend. I wouldn’t have made it here in Korea if it hadn’t been for her. I’m originally from the States and she’s the one that helped me fit in here. Plus, she’s one step away from being a famous fashion designer. How would you like your life’s dream to be ripped away from you, just when it’s at your finger tips?”

Soohyun stared at him and a moment of pure silence passed through the room. Suddenly the door opened and a doctor, accompanied by three men, entered.

“You’re awake,” the doctor smiled. “How are you feeling?”

“Can I go back to bed?” I pouted.

He gave a soft and slightly sorrowful chuckle, “I’m sorry, but you have some business to take care of with these men.”

“Ms. Eun Jisue, my name is Detective Ellison Kim,” he flashed around his badge like a bride showing off her wedding ring, then stuck it back inside his coat, “and by the looks of things, I’m talking to a criminal.” His teeth teased the toothpick that stuck out of his mouth while his hands rested on his hips like he was some western shooter in a showdown.

I made my eyes small and crossed and opened my mouth slightly to give him the stupidest expression I could manage. “Thanks for stating the obvious Jesse James, now get on with it. Take me away,” I offered my hands to be cuffed and hung my head mockingly.

“Well now,” he chuckled cockily, shifting his weight in an entertained fashion. “We’ve got a sassy one, huh?”

Kevin coughed something under his breath, making me smile.

“Watch where you’re spraying your germs!” Detective Kim jumped back, grabbing his long, tan trench coat and gave Kevin a disgusted look. “Even something as tiny as a germ can be the answer behind a crime.”

My friend gave me an oh-my-gosh-is-this-guy-serious look making me giggle again.

“I’m surprised you find this situation funny,” the detective rested back on his heels, turning his attention to me again.

“Well it’s funny that you’re pursuing me because of this. You see, I have a fiancé and we’re planning to get married by the end of this month!” I retorted hotly.

Kevin’s eyes widened, begging me not to do it.

“Really?” Detective Kim smiled teasingly. “And, uh, who is it?” he raised his hands motioning to the people in the room.

“It’s my sweet, wonderful, handsome,” I made sure to pause after each word, pretending to be so sincere, “remarkable, caring, tall, fiancé-,”

“Mr. Shin!” Kevin grabbed the clueless man and shoved him forward.

Everyone in the room gasped in surprised. Everyone.

“Him?” the doctor’s eyes got big.

“Him?” the detective raised his eyebrows.

“Him?” the two men who accompanied the detective glanced at each other.

“Me?!” Soohyun stared at me dreadfully.

“Ch-Check the flowers! They’re from him!” Kevin pointed at the bouquet in my hands with a shaky finger.

Detective Kim slowly searched through the bouquet, picking out the small card tucked inside. “For Eun Jisue. I hope you’re feeling better. When you’re out of the hospital, we’ll work on your… eating habits? Signed Mr. Shin…” his eyes slowly lifted from the paper to the matchmaker. “Eating habits?”

Soohyun stuttered, “It’s not what it sounds like! S-See she’s actually-,”

“An animal in bed,” I cut him off. “Yeah, Soohyun’s teaching me how to control myself. Like you said yourself, Mr. Kim, I’m a sassy one!”

Kevin’s face twisted in disgust and I myself felt like I was going to puke at the taste of the words. Soohyun’s face became red from anger and embarrassment.

“Yeah, um… okay,” the detective pushed passed the awkward moment. “We’ll schedule a day for your questioning. Fortunately for you birds we’re quite busy at the moment, so you probably won’t be able to come in for about two weeks. But don’t get any ideas… I’ll be watching.

“Don’t you worry about a thing Detective Kim,” I smiled, staring down Soohyun. “Mr. Shin and I will be… just fine.”

“Yeah, just fine,” he mumbled, his cold stare challenging mine.