Oh... Oops

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe, Catch A Groom Before You Go!

*Jisue’s POV*

“This isn’t eating. This is torture,” I mumbled as Kevin refilled my water.

“You’re not ready to go out in the real world and do this. The training starts here,” Soohyun eyed me from across his desk.

“The kimchi was very good. Thank you for your hard work,” Soohyun nodded at Kevin, letting him take his ‘plate’ which was actually a book.

“And you, Miss?” Kevin asked. “Did you enjoy your meal?”

I sat up straight, looked him in the eye and responded calmly, “It was salty, undercooked and served cold. May I ask… what kind of establishment are you running?!”

“Stop!” Soohyun snapped. “That’s wrong, do it again.”

I rolled my eyes and looked up at Kevin, “I mean: I am unhappy with the preparation and taste. But I appreciate your hard work. Kamsahamnida.”

“You’re very welcome. I’m sorry for the inconvenience,” Kevin bowed, taking my “plate.”

“That was better,” Soohyun remarked as we snapped out of fake-restaurant-in-Soohyun’s-office mode. “But we still have a long way to go.”

“Can we do something else?” I asked, spinning around in my chair. “I’m bored.”

“Grab your jackets,” Soohyun nodded toward Kevin and me. “We’re going for a walk now.

“How the heck is that gonna help me become a “presentable and well behaved lady?!” I put my hands on my hips.

“You walk like a crooked sloth. First impressions are everything in the dating world. Now come on before it starts getting dark.”

-------------------------

“It’s so pretty!” I exclaimed, running down to the low fence at the edge of the walkway which surrounded the lake. My eyes wandered over the beautiful scene of Seokchon Lake Park. Lotte World lay across the water like a magical wonderland. The sunset shimmered off the water, filling the air with color and life.

Soohyun and Kevin joined me on either side. They stared out over the scenery as well, taking it all in.

“Look at those cute ducks!” Kevin pointed to a family of ducks gliding through the water.

“I wonder if ducks can drown,” I pondered.

“Just when I thought she was becoming more womanly,” Soohyun sighed, stepping away from the fence. “Come on, let’s teach you proper posture.”

I grumpily left the pretty scene and walked over to Soohyun, purposely slouching more than usual.

“Stop that! You look like an idiot,” he smacked my arm and I involuntarily stood upright. “Better,” he smiled.

I rolled my eyes and huffed, “Can we hurry this up. I don’t want to be seen with you.”

“That goes for the both of us,” he mumbled. “Now, straighten up your back, hold your head up with your chin slightly raised, let your arms swing calmly at your side, and take graceful, even strides.”

After straightening up and throwing my chin in the air, I began to walk, taking large steps and waving my arms through the air “gracefully.”

“Hajima!” Soohyun grabbed my wrist. “Kevin, can you please do something?!”

“Oh, of course. I’m sorry,” he blushed, then hurried to my side.

“Do this for the job,” he whispered in my ear.

Suddenly determination filled me and I felt myself actually starting to want to learn.

“Take smaller steps and let your arms move with you; like this,” Kevin demonstrated. “See? It’s all natural.”

Watching him carefully, I began to mimic him. It was strange walking like that. I felt more confident and sure of myself. For a second, I actually felt beautiful. 

“That’s it!” Kevin exclaimed happily, looking back at me.

We walked along the snaking pathway, gliding side by side. Soohyun followed behind us, making me feel uncomfortable. It was like I was a dog being judged in a dog show.

“Soohyun get up here!” I demanded, turning around. “I feel like you’re stalking me back there!”

“There’s not much to stalk,” he scoffed.

“Yah!” I smacked his stomach. “Be quiet. I’m gliding.”

“Make sure you keep your back straight,” he pressed one hand against my back and another against the front of my shoulder.

“No touching!” I smacked his hands away.

“Aish,” he looked away in annoyance.

“Omo look! More ducks!” I exclaimed, hurrying over to the edge of the pathway again. “I wanna pet one!”

“Don’t do anything stupid, Jisue,” Kevin warned uneasily.

“Everything in life has a purpose, and these ducks’ purpose is for me to pet them,” I said matter-of-factly, swinging my leg over the fence.

“Jisue stop!” Soohyun tried to grab my arm, but I was already over the fence and a step out of his reach. “Fences also have a purpose and that’s to keep out psychos like you.”

“Oh for goodness sakes just shut up,” I responded, surprising him.

“Uh- wh… you get back here now! That water’s freezing. If you fall in you could get hypothermia.”

“Yeah, that’s why I’m not gonna fall in,” I murmured, inching closer to the ducks. “Hereee, duckies. I’m not gonna hurt you. I just wanna pet your fluffiness.”

“Jisueeeee,” Kevin called nervously.

“Shhhhhh,” I was only a few feet away from the ducks now. “Almost there…”

“Jisue this isn’t a game! Get back here!”

“Soohyun, will you shut up?!”

The ducks, scared by my voice, began flapping their wings and hurrying into the water.

“No! Come back!” I shouted, reaching out to grab one. Unfortunately, then were already all out of my reach.

“Thanks a lot,” I pouted, turning back to glare at Soohyun.

“Did you seriously think you were going to be able to pet them?” he put his hands on his hips.

“Animals like me!” I jumped up on a rock.

“Well you do have a lot in common with them.”

“I’m not listening~ Lalala-ah…ahhhhh!” I screamed as a giant spider scurried across the rock.

“Jisue don’t-,”

“Ahhhhhhh!” this scream escaped my lips just before I splashed into the water.

The icy liquid took my breath away when I hit it. The weight of my heavy coat pulled me down, though I was using all my strength to swim up.

Maybe if Soohyun hadn’t scared away those freakin ducks they could’ve saved me.

I struggled against the weight of my clothes, the coldness not hesitating to steal away my energy. My arms were getting tired and my lungs burned for oxygen. The more I tried to free myself from the water’s grasp, the tighter its grip became.

This is how I’m going to die.

A splashing sound came from somewhere near me in the water, but I was too tired to pay it much attention. My kicking slowed to the point where my feet were hardly moving, and my arms floated limply in the water.

Kevin, save me…

I can barely remember feeling those arms wrapping around me; him pulling me out of the water and lying me down on the dirt shoreline; the way he placed his lips on mine, trying to force air into my lungs and the water out. What I can remember clearly is opening my eyes to see him looking down over me worriedly.

“K-Kevin?” I whispered, reached a hand up to him.