Chapter 9

Heavenly Whispers

“So you still haven’t told me why we’re back in Incheon,” Jessica said.

“I need you to do something for me,” he said as he continued dragging her along, tugging on her hand. Jessica threw down her hand, crossed her arms and gave him a suspicious glare.

“What exactly is it that you need me to do?”

Donghae heaved a sigh and shook his head. “Okay, fine. You see that bookstore over there?” he asked as he pointed across the street. There were several stores, but there was one store that had a display of books through the big window.

“Yeah, what about it?”

“Come with me, I want to get closer,” he answered, grabbing her arm again. They quickly crossed the street without looking both ways, much to Jessica’s dismay.

“Ok, just because you’re a ghost, doesn’t mean that I still can’t get hit by a car!” she yelled at him as she threw her arm down from his grip.

“I’m sorry,” he apologized.

“Now, what the heck is going on?”

“You see that girl in there? The girl putting books onto the shelves?” Donghae asked as he pointed through the window. Jessica looked through the window and saw a tall, dark haired lady placing books onto a book case.

“Yeah, she’s pretty. Is she…your girlfriend or something?” Jessica felt a bit awkward asking.

Donghae immediately shook his head. “Nah, well not anymore at least.”

“Anymore?” Jessica’s head cocked to the side.

“We dated for a little while, but it didn’t really work out. It was okay at first, but I just wasn’t feeling the same way,” he shamefully admitted. Jessica could sense a tinge of guilt in his tone.

“Oh…so why did you bring me here?”

“She’s Kyuhyun’s younger sister, Yuri” he said as he let out a breath of air.

“Kyuhyun…” Jessica thought to herself. “Oh, he’s your friend, right? You two got into an argument the night…of…the accident…” she sort of trailed off. She wasn’t sure if it was okay to bring up that somewhat upsetting memory.

He nodded his head. “He’s the one.”

“Sorry,” she apologized, avoiding his eyes.

“It’s okay, really,” he tried to reassure her.

“But I still don’t understand why—“

“Well, I haven’t seen Kyuhyun in a while. I haven’t been able to find him anywhere in our usual places. I was hoping that maybe you could talk to Yuri and get some ideas as to where I could find him.”

“But she doesn’t know me. Wouldn’t it be strange if I asked her about her brother? What if she thinks I’m like Kyuhyun’s secret girlfriend or something?” she worried.

“Please?” he begged.

“I don’t know…”

“Please? For me?” his eyes started to glisten again. Jessica almost had the nerve to push his face away, unable to bear his pitiful expression.

“Fine, fine! Just…put that face away, please!” she begged, waving her hand in his face.

“Gomaweoyo, Princess,” he said teasingly. Jessica made an angry face at him and started heading toward the bookstore. She pulled the door open, hearing a quiet ring of a bell, notifying whoever was working that someone had entered. Jessica poked her head around, looking for Yuri but couldn’t seem to find her amidst all the bookshelves. She quietly steps in and a young lady, around her age approaches her.

“Hi, can I help you find anything?” She had a bright complexion, with jet black hair that fell past her shoulders. Her pearly white smile was welcoming and her dark brown eyes were warm.

“Ah-annyeonhaseyo,” Jessica replied a bit nervously. “Umm, would you happen to have an English Literature section?”

“Yes we do. Just follow me,” she happily urged. Yuri turned her back and walked away and just as Jessica was about to follow her, she heard footsteps behind her. Without even turning around, Jessica heavily let out a breath of air and whispered under her breath.

“Don’t you dare follow me Lee Donghae. You know how rude it is.”

“Excuse me, Miss?” she heard Yuri call to her.

“Oh I’m sorry, I’m coming,” she said, walking toward her, leaving Donghae behind.

Jessica walked past several shelves of books, passing by several different genres. She saw signs reading Fiction, Nonfiction, Young Adult, Cooking. Finally, she reached the back of the shop, where there was one section of shelves with a sign above that read English Literature in uppercase English letters, with the Korean translation in parenthesis underneath.

“Here it is,” Yuri said with a smile, gesturing to the shelves. “Are you looking for anything in particular?” she tried to be helpful.

“Not really, just thought I’d browse for something interesting,” Jessica said, shaking her head.

“I was actually really surprised you asked about this section,” the pretty shopkeeper admitted.

“Why is that?”

“Well, not many people ask about English literature. Well, not when I’m working at least. I have only one friend who ever comes back to this section to actually purchase a book.”

Yeah, I bet Donghae loves this section,” Jessica said a bit quietly under her breath.

“I’m sorry, but did you say Donghae?” Yuri asked curiously.

“Um yeah. My friend Donghae loves English lit,” Jessica explained.

“Do you mean Lee Donghae?”

“Yes, do you know him?” Jessica asked as if she didn’t know him. She was feeling a bit proud of her acting skills.

“He’s the one I was talking about. He’s my friend who always comes here to buy some English novels,” Yuri explicates for her.

“Wow, what a small world!” Jessica said excitedly.

“Here, come with me,” Yuri said, beckoning Jessica to follow her. They went back toward the front of the shop and Yuri gestured to the two love seats that were positioned around a small coffee table.

“What’s your name? I’m Yuri by the way.”
”Jessica.”

“So, Jessica, how do you know Donghae?” Yuri said as she comfortably sat in the seat. She leaned on her lap, curiously looking at Jessica.

Jessica adjusted herself into the seat and crossed her legs. She gave an excuse that was all too well rehearsed. “He’s actually a friend of a friend. My boyfriend, Siwon, actually. They both attend Inha University so we met through him.”

“Ahh,” Yuri nodded her head in understanding.

“How do you know him?” Jessica asked.

Yuri let out a bit of an awkward giggle as she looked at her hands, playing with them. “Actually we dated for a short time.”

Jessica sensed a bit of discomfort and jokingly asked, “still dating?”

“Oh no, not at all,” Yuri reassured her, shaking her head. “He’s my brother’s best friend and I had the biggest crush on him, so it was bound to be awkward. And at some point, I knew the feelings weren’t mutual, so when he broke up with me I knew what to expect,” she admitted, letting out a sigh. “I’ve gotten over it, but I’m afraid my brother hasn’t.”

“What do you mean?” Jessica asked, uncrossing her legs.

“Since you’re friends with Donghae, I’m sure you know about him being in the hospital.”

Jessica nodded her head.

“Well, I feel a bit at fault for that. You see, Donghae and my brother, Kyuhyun, got into an argument after Donghae and I broke up. I tried to break it up, but my brother wouldn’t listen and they continued to yell at each other.”

“Why would you be at fault?”

“Well…it was the same night of Donghae’s accident – it happened right before the accident, actually. After their fight, Donghae left.”

Jessica could hear Yuri’s voice sounding a bit softer and more gentle – but in a sorrowful way.

“I’m really worried about Kyuhyun because he’s been so strange lately.”

“Strange, how?” Jessica sounded so curious. “I’m sorry if my questions are bothering you. I know it’s none of my business.”

“Oh please don’t apologize,” Yuri said, waving her hands. “It’s nice to be able to talk to someone about this. Kyuhyun has been a lot…quieter recently. He doesn’t talk to me as much. Whenever I ask him a question he gives me one-word replies or fragmented sentences. He barely leaves home and when he does, it’s strictly school or work-related. I also noticed that he has only visited Donghae in the hospital once. It was the day after Donghae was admitted and ever since then, Kyuhyun hasn’t gone back. I’m really worried.”

Jessica didn’t notice how close she was leaning in to listen to Yuri. Suddenly, the bell of the entrance rings and the person walking in approaches the two ladies from behind. Jessica quickly turns her head around at the sound of the bell and Yuri peeks over with a somewhat bewildered smile. Jessica saw a tall, pale-skinned guy, who didn’t seem much older or younger than Donghae. He had dark blackish/brownish hair and his facial expression seemed a bit bland. Jessica was unable to read if he was happy or upset.

“Oppa,” Yuri immediately says.

So this is Kyuhyun, Jessica thinks to herself.

“Hey Yul, who are you talking to?” he asks in a deep, baritone voice – a rich voice Jessica did not expect to come from such a youthful face.

“This is Jessica, she’s a good friend of Donghae’s,” Yuri said, motioning her hands to her.

“Annyeonghaseyo,” Jessica, said, slightly bowing in her seat, holding her long hair back from her face.
”Annyeonghaseyo,” Kyuhyun said in a quietly, rushed voice. His bow was quick, as if he didn’t greet her at all. Jessica was not really offended, but felt like he brushed her off.

“Yul, I’ve been calling you. Why didn’t you answer?” he asked his younger sister.

“Mianhae oppa. I must have missed them. But you know I can’t take calls while I’m working,” Yuri reminded him.

“Oh, but you can sit down and talk to customers?” Jessica nervously looked down, feeling awkward at the sound of attitude that emanated from his tone. Yuri’s eyebrows furrowed at Kyuhyun and noticing Jessica’s response, he let out a sigh. “Mianhae. I just wanted to ask you to make dinner tonight. I’m going to be home late.”

Yuri nodded her head at her brother and watched him as he walked nonchalantly out of the store. At the sound of the bell, like a reaction, Jessica lifted her head back up, and turned her head to make sure he was gone.

“I’m really sorry about that. He’s not normally this…morbid,” Yuri tried to think of a good enough word.

“It’s alright. He did seem a bit harsh. But you said he’s been acting differently, right?”

“Yeah, he’s never this rude and lifeless. I’m just so worried.”

“Well, maybe I can get a word out of him.” Jessica suggested. Yuri tilted her head to the side.

“What do you mean?”

“I can try talking to him if you’d like.”

“Oh, I couldn’t ask you to do that for me.”

“Well not just for you, but for him and for Donghae too.”

“I don’t know,” Yuri replied a bit skeptically. “You’d be like a complete stranger to him.”

“Who knows?” Jessica shrugged her shoulders. “He won’t even talk to his little sister. Maybe he’ll open up to a stranger.”

“You could be right,” Yuri nodded her head in agreement. “If you can get through to him, you’d be a real saint.”

“I’ll try my best,” Jessica replied with a smile. “Do you know any good times I could try to catch him for a quick chat or something?”

“Well, he goes to Kyunghee University on the Seoul campus. On weekdays his classes usually end around 5pm at the latest. He usually only works on weekends, but recently he’s been taking up more hours during the week days and I never really know about him working unless he calls me to tell me he’ll be home late.”

Jessica tries to commit it all to memory, nodding her head as she listens.

“Well, I should really get back to work before my manager catches me off duty. It was really nice meeting you,” Yuri said as she stood up from her seat, Jessica doing the same.

Right before she walks away, Jessica calls to her, “Hey Yuri, What’s your cell phone number? Maybe we can hang out one day.”

Yuri smiles as she takes out her phone and hands it to Jessica. Jessica also pulls out her cell phone from her pocket and gives it to Yuri. The two ladies exchange numbers, saving each other in their contact lists. They return their phones to one another and smile at each other.

“I’ll be sure to text you or something one day,” Jessica promises, placing the phone back in her pocket.

“Definitely, but remember, if I ignore you, I’m probably working!” Yuri reminds her jokingly.

“Right!” Jessica smiles.

“Thanks so much. Be sure to tell me if you’re able to get through to my hard-headed oppa. He’s a real stubborn guy,” she warns.

“Trust me, I’m as stubborn as they come,” Jessica says, pointing to herself. The two laugh, bow to each other and say their goodbyes.

Jessica walks out of the store and finds Donghae leaning against the brick wall right outside the door.

“So, how did it go?” he asked, his arms crossed.

“Hmm, you tell me Mr. Eavesdropper,” she said with a smirk, crossing her arms too.

“Me? No way,” he replies. “I saw Kyuhyun walk in and out of the store. What did Yuri say? What did Kyuhyun say?”

“Relax,” Jessica sad, pushing her hands toward him. “Yuri said Kyuhyun’s been acting really oddly lately and she hasn’t been able to talk to him.”

“Oh,” Donghae replied, simply. “So what’s our next move?”

“Well, my next move is to try to talk to Kyuhyun,” she emphasized as she started walking away from the shop. Donghae quickened his pace to catch up with her.

“Really?”

“Yes, really. Yuri’s really worried and when I saw Kyuhyun he was pretty cold with her and me. I want to see if I can probe his mind.”

“Awesome! But where are we going to find him?”

“Well, Yuri said he studies at Kyunghee University. And when he’s not studying, he’s working. But I’ll try to catch him after his classes end.”

Donghae paused where he was. It took Jessica a second to realize that Donghae was no longer walking beside her. She turned around and saw him standing still.

“What’s wrong?” she said as she backtracked to him.

“…Thank you…” he said simply. Jessica gave him a confused look.

“For what?”

“Just…thank you.” Donghae gave her a crooked smile. Jessica could see the sincerity that gleamed in his eyes and smiled back.

 

 

 

---

 

[A/N]

:)

 

Updated 072311