Chapter 20

Heavenly Whispers

 

Arriving at Incheon hospital, Jessica ran into the elevator. She bit her lower lip and was staring at the light as it moved up each floor.

 

Come on, come on, she egged on, tapping her heel, not able to stay still.

 

The elevator finally made a ding and she rushed out of the elevator and down the hall.

 

She finally made it to Donghae’s room and she quietly entered, her heart still racing.

 

She looked inside the room to see Donghae still lying there, silent, eyes closed, wires and tubes everywhere. He was the same as he had always been.

 

“Jessica sshi,” he heard her name called. It was Yoonji, she was sitting in the far corner of the room.

 

“Yoonji,” Jessica bowed.

 

“How are you?” Yoonji asked, rubbing Jessica’s shoulder.

 

“Oh me? Oh I’m f-fine.” Up until now, Jessica was still the worst liar.

 

“But you fainted the other day. What happened?”

 

“Oh I just…haven’t been getting much sleep lately. I was…o-overworked.” Good thing Yoonji didn’t know Jessica that well, or she would have known that Seulgi gave her off from work for the past couple of days.

 

“How’s he doing?” Jessica asked, turning her eyes to him.

 

“He’s still the same. Still in critical condition.”

 

“Oh…” Jessica’s head lowered. “I know it’s not my business, but…is your family…going through with the s-surgery?” she was completely nervous. She didn’t want to offend Donghae’s family, but she had to know.

 

“My parents still aren’t sure yet. Because I mean…” Yoonji shook her head. “What if something goes wrong? What if he doesn’t make it? It’s like…someone else could have had that heart…And we don’t want Donghae to suffer…” Yoonji’s voice was suddenly shaken. Jessica had never seen her so weak before. Yoonji had always been here at Donghae’s side, holding his hand, making sure he was okay. She was a good sister.

 

“But…what if something goes right?”

 

Yoonji wiped her eyes and turned to Jessica’s hopeful face.

 

“I need to confess…” Jessica’s eyes were lowered. “I knew Donghae’s donor very well.”

 

Choi Siwon?” Yoonji asked, tilting her head to the side.

 

Jessica just nodded her head, biting her lower lip to fight back the tears that were beginning to flood her eyes.

 

“And I know…that this…isn’t my place...to make a really important decision for you and your family. B-but…it’s what Siwon would have wanted.”

 

“Jessica, how did you know Siwon?”

 

“We…dated…a while back…” Jessica choked up, taking a tissue Yoonji offered to her.

 

“Jessica…I’m so sorry…”

 

“Please, don’t be. But I meant what I said,” she said, looking into Yoonji’s eyes. “Siwon would have wanted this – to save Donghae’s life. Or to at least give him a chance…”

 

 

When Jessica got home, she went right into the kitchen to make herself some green tea. She added lots of honey and stirred it with a spoon.

 

She brought her mug into her bedroom and placed it on her nightstand and stared outside the window.

 

The sky was beautiful. It was a beautiful piece of art in motion. The midnight-hued sky was carefully ornamented with beautiful stars to complement the full moon. There wasn’t a cloud in sight to distract the observer from the true allure that is the moon.

 

Jessica’s eye suddenly turned to the door at the sound of light footsteps. There, in the doorway, was standing the person she had been so afraid of and yet so relieved to see – Donghae.

 

He stood there with quiet eyes and silent movements. His body was still and they stared at each other for what seemed like an eternity.

 

“D-Donghae…”

 

“My parents decided to go through with the surgery.”

 

“Really?” Jessica’s face lit up as she got up from her bed.

 

“Yes…I was really surprised…” he said as he walked into the room. “I thought they wouldn’t.”

 

“But aren’t you glad they did?” Jessica asked, holding her hands to her heart.

 

“Jessica…why did you do it?” Donghae couldn’t understand.

 

“Donghae…” she said, her head lowering.

 

“Why did you tell noona to go through with the surgery?” he shook his head as he approached her. “I thought you didn’t care.”

 

“Of course I care,” her eyes flashed up.

 

He searched her eyes. “I just…I don’t understand.”

 

“It’s…It’s what…Siwon would have wanted.”

 

Donghae nodded his head and smirked. “Right.”

 

He suddenly his heel, to Jessica’s surprise, until he was halted in his tracks.

 

He looked down at his hand which was in Jessica’s firm grasp. He thought his heart had stopped.

 

“Jessica?”

 

“You were right.”

 

She let go of his hand as he slowly turned his body toward her.

 

“I can’t lie to you anymore and I shouldn’t.” She tried to avoid his eyes by staring at the floor.

 

“What do you mean?”

 

“By some strange…twist of fate…only I can see you, hear you and feel you. I've finally come to accept that this...was our destiny."

 

Jessica...

 

She grabbed his hands and held them in hers as she slowly interlaced her fingers through his.

 

“I love you.”

 

Donghae felt like his heart was sending bursts of energies throughout his entire body.

 

“It may have taken me longer to realize it, but…but I know it's true. I know that...if someday... in the next life...you and I were to meet again...I would never let you go.

 

She looked into his eyes.

 

He looked into her eyes and he thought he could see the universe inside, as if there were stars shining inside. Stars that finally lit up his world – their world. There was an otherworldly connection that he had never felt.

 

He cupped her face into his hands, her hands caressing his forearms. He used his thumbs to wipe the tears that fell past her cheekbones.

 

He leaned his face into hers until he could feel the warmth of her soft lips against his.

 

 

They lied there, staring into each other’s eyes, never letting go. They were always touching. Whether it was their lips touching each other’s lips, or their lips leaving trails of kisses along each other’s skin, or their hands gently playing with each other’s hair – they were touching.

 

“When is your surgery?” she asked as she ran her fingertips across his cheek.

 

“Tomorrow night.”

 

Jessica was surprised. She didn’t know that it would be so soon.

 

“Aren’t you afraid?” she asked as she sat up, wrapping her fragile body with her blanket.

 

“Afraid of what?” he also sat up, grabbing her hand with one hand to play with her fingers, and using his other hand to gently move a piece of hair behind her ear.

 

“What if something goes wrong? Aren’t you scared of what might happen?”

 

“I don’t know…Are you scared?”

 

She looked up and a tear began to form in her eye.

 

“I’m scared of not being with you.”

 

He took her hand that was in his and held it against his face, the inside of her hand warm. He kissed the inside of her hand before replying, “I will always be with you.”

 

 

--

 

So short, I KNOW. GAH. But again, had to have its own chapter!
I hope everyone had a good christmas! I wish you and your families my love and blessings this holiday season and for the new year!!

And I FINALLY premiered a short little promo video for my upcoming and long awaited fanfic "to witness a miracle."
It's been in the works for soooooo long. But it's finally really getting somewhere I want it to be. I'm hoping to premiere it here on asianfanfics REALLY soon. So I hope you'll all stay tuned for it. Click HERE to watch the video on youtube :)

 

-jasminecaresse