Chapter 12

Heavenly Whispers

 

“That's your house?!” Jessica exclaimed, her eyes widening in amazment.

 

Donghae giggled at her child-like amusement and nodded his head. “Neh. Do you like it?”

 

Jessica gulped at the sight of the house. It was extremely geometric, like an old country-home. There was a long pavement that led up to the house that made it look like it was miles away. The tall pillars by the main door made it look like a mansion. It was completely ivory with sapphire blue window shutters. The grass surrounding the home was so green and the house looked so pure and white. There were pretty little gardens filled with what looked like various sorts of wild flowers. Jessica couldn't believe it.

 

“Are you like...super rich??” she asked.

 

“Well my abeoji inherited a lot of his money from his family who was extremely wealthy, but he's also a great lawyer. My eomeoni is a social worker – mostly for foster kids.”

 

 

They decided to walk to the nearest park since they can't really go into Donghae's home. On their way there, Donghae continues his story about his family. He discusses how his parents met over a specific case where his father fought to keep a heroine addict from keeping her child – believing she was not fit to continue raising a young child, who was only three at the time. After he won the case, Donghae's mother was assigned to be the little girl's social worker and put her into a foster family.

 

“That's really amazing that your parents met that way,” Jessica commented as they both sat down on a bench.

 

“It is. I love that my parents are good people,” Donghae answered, smiling.

 

“You miss them a lot,” Jessica could tell from the look on his face.

 

“I do. But I think the person I miss the most is my little sister.”

 

Jessica remembered the little girl and her bright face. She mostly remembered how her eyes looked like Donghae's. They had the same amount of youth and purity in them.

 

“Shinhye, right?” Jessica recalled her name.

 

“Yeah. I miss playing with her and reading her bed time stories,” he said, as he held his hands together, leaning on his knees. “Whenever I read her a story, she made sure I wouldn't leave until the end of the story. So when I would read to her, she'd hold my hand so that I couldn't leave. But she always drifted off toward the end of the story – usually before she would hear the ending of the story.”

 

Jessica could hear how soft his voice was getting.

 

“That's why she always asks me to read her the same stories over and over again because she would wake up, wondering how they ended. Whenever she began to fall asleep, I could feel her hand becoming weak and finally letting go of me.”

 

“Do you ever visit her?”

 

“Almost every night. I always try to see her to bed. She tries to read the stories that I would read to her. She usually struggles over words and would grow so tired that the book would just end up lying on her chest. I would hold her hand and it wouldn't feel the same. Instead of her holding on, it was me.”

 

There was a soft breeze that brushed past their faces but Jessica's eyes would not leave Donghae's face. His disheartening expression was hard to endure but hard to ignore.

 

“Look over there,” Donghae said, pointing behind Jessica. She turned around and saw Donghae's noona, Yoonji, and his little sister, Shinhye, walking in their direction.

 

“Do you think I should say 'hi'?” she asked, turning around, but Donghae was gone.

 

Of course.

 

When they got closer to her, they saw her and Yoonji happily approached Jessica on the bench.

 

“Jung Jessica, it's nice to see you again,” Yoonji said as she bowed.

 

Jessica also got up from her seat to bow to her. “It's nice to see you again too.”

 

“Shinhye,” Yoonji said, tugging on her tiny hand a little bit. “Why don't you greet Miss Jessica?”

 

“Annyeong,” she said with a perfect bow.

 

“Shinhye-sshi, you must be getting prettier every time I see you,” Jessica said as she bent down to her level, with a wide smile. Shinhye giggled, covering . Jessica can never stop seeing some of the same child-like characteristics in Shinhye that she can see in Donghae.

 

“How is everything?” Jessica asked as she got back up.

 

“Shinhye, can you go to the field right over there and find Miss Jessica a pretty flower?” Yoonji asked the little girl.

 

“Neh, unni.” The little girl ran over to the nearby grassy area while the two older ladies sat on the bench together.

 

“Since you're one of Donghae's close friends, I know you can keep a secret,” Yoonji finally said.

 

Jessica nodded her head in total agreement. “Of course. Is it bad news?” she asked, worried.

 

The older woman heaved a sigh with eyes closed and nodded her head. “Well, right now it doesn't look too good. The doctors say that his chances of surviving surgery are not looking favorable because his body is still very, very weak. Our parents are considering taking him off the life support.”

 

Jessica was stunned. She thought her heart had stopped functioning in that instant. She could almost feel her eyes beginning to fill with tears.

 

“That...that doesn't sound too good,” was all she could make out.

 

“I'm sorry to tell you this,” Yoonji apologized.

 

“Anniyo,” Jessica said. “It's okay. You didn't even have to. It's sad, but it's good to know. How are you feeling about all of this?”

 

“I'm not sure. I just don't want Donghae to suffer anymore.”

 

“I understand.”

 

There was a moment of silence between the two women. It was not awkward. It was contemplative.

 

“Well, I really should get going,” Yoonji said as she got up. Jessica rose up too and Shinhye came running back with a flower in her hand. “We still have to stop by the hospital to see Donghae and start making dinner.”

 

Shinhye handed the pretty flower to Jessica and Jessica gave her a big smile. Shinhye shyly smiled in response.

 

“Kamsahaeyo Shinhye sshi~,” Jessica said and Shinhye just laughed. “You'll be alright?” Jessica asked Yoonji.

 

She nodded her head. “Neh. I'm trying. Kamsahamnida, see you later.”

 

Jessica watched them walk away.

 

When she turned around, Donghae was sitting on the bench, his elbows leaning on his knees again and his head facing downward. Jessica could sense his worry.

 

“Donghae...” she said, almost like a whisper. She sat down beside him, keeping her eyes on him. “Did you...happen to hear any of that?”

 

“Something like this...” he started quietly, still not looking up. He let out a breath of air and nodded his head. “I expected it to come.”

 

Jessica grabbed his hand and interlaced her fingers with his. They sat in silence.

 

 

Come on, where is it? Donghae said under his breath, frustrated.

 

He scanned through the hospital files, counting all the numbers, trying to find the right one.

 

At the sound of echoing footsteps, he stopped sifting through the files and looked over his shoulder. But no one was there. He continued his search instantly.

 

861502...861503, he counted.

 

...861508...861509... 861510, Here it is! Donghae said, tearing the file off the shelf.

 

He looked through the manila folder, trying to find the most recent papers. There were so many papers and files that were stapled together. Suddenly, a paperclip and its papers dropped to the ground. He bent down to look at them and looking at the dates, he realized how recent they were. He picked up one of the clippings he saw and skimmed over it.

 

Finally, Donghae had found out what he needed to know.

 

But it wasn't what he had hoped for.

 

This can't be...he grunted.

 

He went to go look for another file. He frantically searched, not letting any file go unchecked.

 

File number 871002.

 

He reached for the folder and closed his eyes. He took a deep breath and opened it.

 

 

 

Donghae could feel tears beginning to fill the brim of his eyes. Breaking down, he slammed a fist against the floor. He let out a cry as he clutched at his heart.