Chapter 10

Heavenly Whispers

“So how about it, unni?” Yoona asked Jessica. But Jessica’s mind was completely distant. “Jessica, did you listen to a single word I said?”

Jessica finally snapped out of her daze and turned her face to a disappointed Yoona. Her dongsaeng stood there with her arms crossed and a disapproving facial expression.

“What did you say Yoona?”

“I said that Seul Gi’s closing up the place for tomorrow because she has to attend some benefit with her parents. And since we won’t have to work tomorrow, I was wondering if you wanted to hang out or something.”

“Mianhae, Yoona. But I already have plans tomorrow.”

Yoona’s disappointed face slowly morphed into that of a melancholic expression. “Really? Oh. So where are you off to?” she asked.

“Suwon,” Jessica said simply.

“Suwon?” Yoona cocked her head to the side.

Shoot! Be careful Jung Sooyeon, Jessica told herself angrily.

“Umm yeah! I’m visiting a relative…my aunt…she’s sick.” Jessica’s stomach started to churn.

“Oh, arasso (I understand).” Yoona’s face turned downward and Jessica could feel guilt washing over her.

“We’ll hang out real soon, I promise,” Jessica said as she placed a hand on Yoona’s shoulder. Yoona gave her half a smile then walked back into the kitchen.

Jessica let out a sigh. It seems that lying has become a bit of a habit for her. She feels as though she has been forgetting about Yoona and has been spending so much time helping Donghae. Conflicted, Jessica continued to wipe table tops and wash dishes.

 

--

 

This should be it, Jessica whispered. Building 203.

Jessica watched as various students walked in and out of the building. Some were carrying different instrument cases, some in groups and some alone. Jessica quietly sat in a bench outside the building waiting for him to come out. She looked at each student as they passed by, quickly glancing at their faces to make sure she didn’t miss Kyuhyun by accident.

“So what are you going to do to get his attention?” Donghae asked, appearing on the bench as Jessica turned in his direction.

“I’ll just greet him normally. I don’t want it to seem like I’m snooping right away,” she explained. “I’ll just be polite.”

Donghae shook his head with half a smile. “He’s a stubborn one, remember? It might be pretty tough.”

“I don’t give up without a fight,” Jessica smiled a bit conspicuously.

More students began to pour out and Jessica looked through them, hoping to sort Kyuhyun out of the group.

“He must be coming, I’m out,” Donghae said.

“Wait, where?” Jessica asked, but by the time she was facing his direction he was already gone. Jessica stood up and looked through the pool of students. Soon, only one or two people were walking out of the building.

“What the? Where could he be? Did I miss him?” Jessica checked her watch and it read 5:10.

He should be done his classes by now, she reminded herself.

She looked back at the building and one person came out by himself. It was Kyuhyun. She recognized him immediately due to the imprinting of his face into her memory after their first awkward encounter. He walked out of the building with his hands in his pockets and his eyes gazing toward the ground. Without even noticing her, he walked right past Jessica.

“A-annyeonghaseyo,” Jessica said with a slight bow as he blurred past her, trying to get his attention.

“Oh, chwehsonghamnida,” Kyuhyun weakly apologized with a slight bow. “I didn’t even see you there.”

“Anniyo, kwenchanayo (It’s alright). You’re Kyuhyun, right? Yuri’s brother?” she asked, pretending as if she almost couldn’t remember.

He gave a slight nod of his head. “Jessica?”

“Neh,” she replied.

“Just because I’m a bit curious – may I ask what you’re doing here?” Kyuhyun said as he gave her a confused look.

“Uhh I’m…I’m visiting…a friend. She goes here too,” she lied a bit shakily.

“Oh, arasso. What major?”

“Oh she’s not a music major…she’s…in business.”

“Then why are you here at the music building?”

Damn he’s got a lot of questions…I should be the one asking questions.

“Well Yuri mentioned that you attend this university too.”

“Mmm,” Kyuhyun said, with an eyebrow raised. “Well I’ve got to go, See you later,” he said with a bow and started turning on his heel.

“No wait, I actually wanted to talk to you,” she insisted.

“About what?”

“Well, Yuri said that she’s been really worried about you. She said you’ve been acting strangely around her lately.” Kyuhyun turned around with a severe expression that made Jessica’s heart beat harder.

“Not to be rude, but honestly that’s none of your business,” he said with a sharp edge to his voice. He immediately turned around and started sauntering off.

“Kyuhyun’s always been a stubborn kid. Don’t let him get away,” Donghae whispered into Jessica’s ear.

Jessica quickly took off after him, speeding up her own pace to match his.

“I’m really sorry. I’m not trying to be nosy. I just want to help.”

“I don’t even know you,” he responded, not slowing down. “Please, just mind your own business.”

“Yuri’s really worried,” she said, stopping in her tracks. Kyuhyun slowed down and eventually came to a halt. He turned his attention to Jessica who was finally feeling a bit successful. “She’s upset and just wants to know what’s going on in her oppa’s hard-head.”

For a few, silent seconds, the two looked into each other’s eyes. He searched her eyes for any hidden intentions but could only find a sense of worry and sincerity. Kyuhyun let out a sigh, admitting defeat.

“You’re a stubborn one, aren’t you?”

Jessica replied with a smile. “So I’ve been told.”

“Alright, let’s take a walk.”

 

--

 

“Yuri is seriously more like my mother than my baby sister,” he said with a slight chuckle, shaking his head. “If I happen to wake up late, she automatically thinks I’m stressing and not getting enough sleep. If I don’t seem that hungry she thinks I’m crash dieting. And don’t even get me started on when I get a cold!”

A tiny laugh escapes through Jessica’s rosy lips. “She’s a really sweet girl.”

“Yes she is,” he agreed, whole-heartedly. “I love my sister more than anyone in the world.”

“I can tell. But what do you think you’re doing that’s making Yuri so upset? She thinks it has something to do with Donghae.” Kyuhyun’s strides became small paces and he points out a bench underneath a tree. The two head for the bench and while Jessica comfortably sits down, Kyuhyun sits on the edge, leaning his elbows on his knees.

“Well…Donghae and I...got into an argument…before he got into the accident,” Kyuhyun confessed. Jessica nodded her head, already knowing. “You…you knew about that?” he asked, nervously.

“Yuri might have mentioned it,” Jessica admitted.

Kyuhyun shook his head. “My baby sister was always a bit of a blabber mouth. Well anyway, Donghae and Yuri had been dating for a while. Of course I didn’t approve. Donghae was my best friend and Yuri was my sister – it’s just one of those implied rules of life: you never let your best friend date your sibling,” he tried to explain.

“I think I’ve heard that once or twice before,” Jessica tried to sound encouraging.

“It’s not that I was being over-protective and it’s not because Donghae is a bad guy or anything. But I just had an inkling that it wasn’t going to work out. When Donghae broke up with my sister she seemed pretty upset. Not as upset as I thought she would be, but she’s my sister. So of course, I’m going to stand up to the jerk that broke her heart – even if it was my best friend.”

“You’re a caring brother.”

“Yeah I guess,” he weakly agreed. “But I’m a lousy friend. I got so mad at Donghae that we were yelling at each other. We’ve never yelled like that at each other before. I was calling him names that I would never call my best friend.” Kyuhyun’s face was dejected. She could see him self-condemning himself. “I’m so mad at myself. I’ve never forgiven myself for being such a terrible friend. If I didn’t get so angry with him, he wouldn’t have stormed out the door and hopped on his bike.”

“Kyuhyun this isn’t your fault,” she tried to comfort him.

“Even if it’s not, still. I wish I could apologize to him.”

“Why don’t you go visit him? I know he’s in a coma, but you know…he could still be listening,” she sneakily added, knowing that Donghae was probably somewhere nearby.

“I’m too ashamed. I visited him once, saw the state he was in and couldn’t bear to step into that hospital ever again. I’m a real coward.”
“Stop blaming yourself. If you were really Donghae’s friend, you would visit him at the hospital at all costs. I’m sure Donghae is just as upset about the argument you two had as you are.” Kyuhyun looks at Jessica and can see the veracity behind her words in her eyes.

“You’re a good friend,” he stated.

“I just wanted to help. So will you visit him?”

Kyuhyun looked up at the sky. “Hmm…I will consider it. I just…I just need to think,” he said as he stood up. Jessica stood up as well. “I have to go talk to one of my professors. I’ll see you around,” he said, waving. Already, he seemed a lot friendlier.

“Bye,” she said, waving back. She watched as his figure disappeared. Jessica smiled, glad that she was able to get through to Kyuhyun. She scanned the area, making sure no one else was present and decided to look for Donghae.

“Donghae? Are you here?” she said, looking around her. She suddenly heard someone let out a sigh and she turned around, finding Donghae sitting on the bench.

“He feels guilty…”

“Neh?” Jessica looked at him confused.

“He feels guilty because he thinks he hurt me. But I hurt him. I should have never agreed to date Yuri in the first place…This is all my fault,” his head fell forward, his hair slightly covering up his sorrowful face.

“Not you too. Donghae—”

“It’s alright,” Donghae said frustrated, standing up. “Come on, I’ll walk you home.”

Not sure what came over her, Jessica quickly caught up to Donghae and wrapped her arms around his waist. Donghae was quite surprised by the sudden hug and just stood there in silence. Jessica nuzzled her face into his back, her eyes closed and a comforting smile forming upon her lips.

“Don’t worry oppa,” she said, her voice melodic. “It’ll be ok. Everything will be ok. Please don’t be sad.”

Touched, a smile tugged at the corner of Donghae’s lips as he placed his hands on Jessica’s.

 

 

 

--

[A/N] So glad to be back :) I leave for college in exactly 30 days...WOAH.

Updates:

Dear "Intricate Hearts" and "Memoirs..." followers,

I would like you to know that I am discontinuing both stories. Why do you ask? I did not completely think them through and I was dissatisfied by how they were turning out. Why end them? Well I have to end what I started myself.

BUT here's the catch - because I loved a lot of ideas that I had for both of the storylines, I've decided to REVAMP BOTH STORIES.

What does this mean? This means that I've finally taken the time to re-edit both stories in ways I saw fit. Both storylines are currently in the works. Right now I'm working out various details for both fics so please don't be disappointed! I promise, newer and BETTER stories are coming your way !! :)


Here is a preview for the new edition of my Siwon/Yoona story which is now called "Love Always": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYg_xMLQs5U&NR=1

Teaser Poster: http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b303/mmmBLAH/lovealways.jpg



&&



Here is a preview for the revamped version of my Yoona<3Taecyeon story - it is now called "To Witness A Miracle": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ECbHjoXA9ao

Teaser Poster: http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b303/mmmBLAH/poster1.jpg
 

 

love, jasmineleir

Updated 080111