Chapter 6

Heavenly Whispers

Jessica slowly lifted herself out of bed, her hair completely ruffled and her mind still scattered. She stretched out her arms as far as they could reach until they just fell limp in her lap. She could barely open her eyes and sort of wanted to go back to sleep. She scratched her head as she tried to distinguish the numbers the digital clock on her nightstand read. She drew her face closer to the clock until the numbers were purely visible and the clock read “11:59 AM.” At first she just sat there and tilted her head.

What was I going to do today again?

She tried to think and as soon as she remembered she gasped and almost fell out of bed.

Oh God! Donghae!

Donghae was supposedly coming to Jessica’s place around noon and she completely forgot to set an alarm. She finally ran out of her room, brushed her teeth and tried to fix her hair in the mirror. She changed from her huge white shirt and pajama pants with cute fishies printed all over them into a plain white tank top and a pair of dark washed skinny jeans. She quickly stepped into a pair of flip flops, trying not to trip in the process.

It was 12:10 and she started feeling a bit anxious. Before crazily running out the door, she tried to calm herself down so her neighbors wouldn’t think she was crazy again.

Calm yourself Jung Sooyeon. It’s just Donghae. He’s a ghost; he’ll appear whenever he wants to anyway.

She walks out of her apartment building, waiting for Donghae. She looks around, hoping he’ll just appear but she doesn’t see him. It’s about 12:30 and Jessica decides that maybe she’ll just wait inside and as she gets up Donghae appears right in front of her.

“Annyeong!” Donghae says happily while Jessica is trying to save herself from a minor heart attack.

“Again with the magic tricks!” she yelled as she pushed him against the shoulder.

“Aish, that really hurt!” Donghae whimpered, rubbing his shoulder.

“Some ghost,” Jessica scoffed at him.

“Did you forget about me?” he teased, with a giant smile spreading across his face.

“Did I forget? You’re the one who’s late,” Jessica pointed out. But Donghae shook his head from side to side.

“Not true, I was here at exactly noon, waiting for you. You didn’t show so I just took a walk by myself for a little while.” Jessica just looked at him a bit angrily and let out a sigh.

“Well, whatever. I’m here now and you’re here. Everything’s just dandy,” Jessica said as she rolled her eyes.

“Where would you like to chat?”

“Well I’d say the café or the park, but I’d like to avoid public places,” Jessica said remembering all the condescending looks she received from various persons.

“Okay, well that rules out pretty much 80% of the country,” he joked.

“Ok Mr. Jokester, how about my apartment? That way no one can call me crazy in my own home.”

“Sounds like a plan.”

“Let’s go,” Jessica said as she turned around.

“I’ll meet you there!”

“What?” she turned back and of course, to no surprise, Donghae was gone.

That punk, Jessica thought to herself.

She slowly made her way back up to her apartment, inserted the key and went in.

“Nice place,” Donghae said as Jessica was shutting the door. Jessica was about to release some steam after Donghae surprised her again.

“Enough with the vanishing acts!” Jessica bellowed. “Do that again and I promise you I’ll knock you so hard that you wake up out of your coma,” she threatened. But Donghae just giggled and put his hands on his hips.

“Maybe you should, and then I wouldn’t have to keep sneaking up on you.”

“So childish,” Jessica whispered beneath her breath.

“Well maybe if you weren’t such a fraidy-cat—“

“Anyway,” Jessica immediately cut him off, “welcome to my humble abode.”

Donghae started walking around on his own and Jessica suspiciously followed him with her eyes as she locked the door.

When he got into the small living room he looked around a bit then sat down. “So you live here by yourself?” he asked.

“Yeah.”

“You don’t mind being alone?”

“No, not really,” she pouted calmly.

“Huh. So you never get lonely?” he looked at her inquisitively.

“Well, I guess. But I’ve been living on my own for a while. When I decided to go to Seoul University I didn’t really have many friends since I lived in America a few years ago. We moved back to Seoul after some time and so I went college searching.”

“Well that explains your English name,” Donghae commented.

“Yeah I guess.”

Donghae got up from his seat and went toward the TV as Jessica watched him cautiously. He was looking at the framed photos that were sitting on top of the television. One seemed to be a family portrait as he looked at it. “This is your family?” Donghae asked as he picked up the portrait off the TV.

Jessica walked up to look over his shoulder and nodded her head in affirmation.

“Yup, that’s my eomeoni, abeoji and dongsaeng Krystal.”

“So cute,” Donghae said with a smile tugging at his lips.

“My little sis? Yeah, I love my baby sister. She can be a bit of a brat, but I love her with all my heart,” she said. Donghae giggled a little bit much to Jessica’s confusion.

“What’s so funny?” she said with a curious glare. Donghae turned to her and expressed a satisfied smile.

“I actually meant that you were really cute in the picture. This must have been from a while ago.”

“O-oh,” Jessica answered, blushing. “Yeah it’s one of my favorite childhood photos. We were at some zoo.”

“Who’s that guy?” Donghae asked, pointing at another photo on top of the television. He placed down the family portrait and picked up a framed portrait of Jessica and some other guy, smiling together.

“Oh, that’s Siwon,” she replied a bit reluctantly.

“Who’s he?”

“My boyfriend,” she said a bit nervously. Donghae looked at her and noticed her flushing.

Awww,” Donghae said cutely. “He doesn’t live here with you?”

“Um, no. He lives in Incheon, he goes to Inha University.”

“Jinjja?” Donghae replied in disbelief. “I go there too. Wonder why I’ve never met him?”

“Probably different majors,” she explained.

“True true. So where is this guy? How come I haven’t seen him around?”

“Oh um…he’s actually serving his required two years in the military right now. He should be home in a few months actually.”

“Oh,” he realized. He could sense a bit of nostalgia in her expression. Her eyes were aimed downwards and her cheeks still looked a bit warm.

“You miss him a lot I’m sure,” he said. “You must have been dating for a while to have known him before he went into the military,” he pointed out.

“Y-yeah,” she stuttered. Donghae placed the photo down and comfortably sat on the couch, asking Jessica to sit next to him.

“What’s he like?” Jessica was taken aback a bit by his sudden curiosity.

“Well, there’s so much to say. I really don’t know where to start.”

“What’s his personality like?”

“Hmm, he’s really smart. Like…genius-smart. He’s funny and genuine. He makes me smile all the time and he’s very motivating. Sometimes when I feel like I’m just too lazy or too exhausted to complete something he urges me to keep going. He’s a very steady rock in my life,” she said, her eyes glimmering with happiness as she talked about him.

“How’d you two meet?” Donghae continued to ask, completely interested.

Jessica let out a small laugh as she covered as she thought about it and Donghae tilted his head inspecting her laugh.

“Waeyo? (Why)” he asked.

“When we first met…it was actually pretty funny,” she tried to explain.

“Funny? How so?”

“Well, I was in Incheon shopping and Siwon approached me,” she trailed off.

“So what happened?”

 

-Flashback-

 

“Ya! Hey you!” some guy yelled at her. Jessica turned around and saw him.

Who is that? Jessica thought to herself.

“Get back here!” he yelled at her. The guy started walking up to her and Jessica didn’t have to think twice about running away. She ran as fast as she could without looking back and a smile began spreading across her face as she thought the mysterious guy wasn’t trailing her anymore. And just when her confidence had reached its peak, she turned around and the guy was sprinting at full speed and within seconds he was within a close proximity of her.

Aish~ what the heck! Jessica groaned with frustration.

“Please stop running!” The guy asked with large gasps of air in between. “I have something for you!”

I don’t think so , Jessica thought as she continued to run. The guy shook his head in disappointment and increased his speed to Jessica’s astonishment.

Ahh eotteokhae! She cried to herself as she stole a quick glance behind her. But when she looked forward some guy pushing a dolly with boxes appeared and Jessica crashed into him, scattering the stack of boxes all over the place.

Jessica fell to the ground, rubbing her head in agony.

“Ya, watch where you’re going!” the worker said as he finished stacking his boxes and pushing his dolly away. Jessica watched him as he passed by her with an annoyed look on her face. Too much in pain to get up, she noticed a bunch of scars on the palm of her hand from when she slid on the pavement.

Aigo~ it really hurts! She held her wrist, blowing on the painful wound that cut fairly deeply into her skin. Not as deep as a fatal injury but enough to make a tear fall from her eye. Suddenly she was covered in a shadow – a person’s shadow. She looked up and it immediately clicked in her head that it was the guy who was following her. She looked at him with a fearful expression as he bent down to her level. He looked at her straight in the eye and after a few awkward seconds he laughed – to Jessica’s frustration.

“Well aren’t we a little clumsy?” he said as he eyed her holding her wounded hand.

“Why were you chasing me?” she retorted with an irritated expression.

“Why did you run?” he scoffed. Jessica turned her face away from him and he let out another chuckle, causing Jessica to throw him an icy glare.

“Okay Princess. Look, I was coming after you because you dropped this,” he said, dangling a silver bracelet in front of her. Jessica’s eyes widened.

“My bracelet!”

“I thought it was yours, I just wanted to return it to you,” he defended himself. “You didn’t have to run away from me.”

“Well, it was scary when you yelled at me. I thought you were some creepy e or something.”

“Me? A e?” he said, pointing to himself.

“Didn’t your parents ever teach you not to speak to strangers?”

“Yes, but they also taught me about common courtesy,” he pointed out.

“Well, whatever. Thanks for finding my bracelet anyway,” she said. Suddenly she winced in pain as she looked her hand. She tried to blow on it some more and the guy observed her attempts.

“That could get infected,” he warned her. “Give me your hand,” he advised.

“Waeyo?”

“Just give it to me.” She reluctantly held out her hand and she watched as he pulled a handkerchief out of his pocket and neatly tied it around the scar on her hand.

“Make sure you clean this once you get home and bandage it properly,” he said as he finished tying a tight knot. Jessica watched him with curious eyes and although he was just a stranger, he had a very caring look in his pupils.

“All done,” he said and Jessica twisted her hand to analyze the handkerchief. “Oh and here,” he said. He then hooked the bracelet back onto her wrist and helped her up from the ground. “I guess when I become a real doctor I can recognize you as my first official patient,” he joked which made Jessica smile in return.

“Goodbye now,” he said and turned around to leave.

“Wait!” Jessica called to him and he spun back around.

“Don’t you want this back?” she asked as she lifted her bandaged hand.

“Anniyo, you can keep it,” he assured her.

“Hey,” she called to him again.

“Now what?”

“Do you like…ddukbokki?” she suddenly asked.

“What?”

“Cause I know a good place near here…would you like to join me? I was just going to get some lunch…” he looked at her strangely and she continued to insist. “My treat,” she bribed.

He continued to stare at her oddly and finally nodded his head.

“Sure, why not?” And so he walked up to her side and she led the way to her favorite ddukbokki café.

 

-End of Flashback-

 

Donghae laughed out loud, covering his mouth. “Wow, that is really funny! You were a fraidy-cat back then too. Must have been your whole life.”

“Ya! It’s not really my fault! What would you do if some strange guy suddenly started coming after you?”

“Ok, sure sure,” Donghae said. “So, I’m assuming you’ve been missing him a lot.”

Jessica nodded her head while playing with Siwon’s ring on her finger.

“Yeah and it does get a little lonely. After he first left it was really difficult, but I grew used to it. I was used to being on my own at least. I’m used to working by myself.”

“That sounds…really sad. You shouldn’t be by yourself all the time. Trust me, I’m there now.”

“I know, I know,” she said.

“Thank God for you. Really!” Donghae said with bright eyes. “I’m glad I can talk to you. And of course it’s beneficial to you of course. Now you’ll never be alone,” he added.

“Oh yay for me,” Jessica said sarcastically.

“Come on, don’t be like that,” he nudged her against the shoulder.

“Well, we still have an investigation to continue,” she reminded him.

“Investigation?”

“Us? You and me? Myself being the only human being who sees you, remember?” she said pointing to herself than to him.

“Right, right,” Donghae brought himself back to reality. “What do you suppose we should do first to go about this business?”

“I’m not sure. I guess we should inspect everything that happened to you before the accident,” she suggested. “At least that will give us a good start.”

“True. But you have to promise me you won’t abandon me alright?”

“Eh?” Jessica looked at him strangely.

“I want a pinky promise that we won’t give up on our investigation,” he said with a firm voice. Jessica nodded her head.

“We won’t stop investigating until a solution is found.”

Donghae held out his pinky and Jessica linked hers around his and then they pushed their hands together and made the tips of their thumbs touch.

“It’s a promise,” they said in unison and so their promise was sealed.

 

--

[A/N]

Hey guys! So here's another chapter (:
So I'm really excited to finally announce this - I've finally finished the planning for each chapter of Heavenly Whispers. What does that mean?? That means that instead of worrying about what I want to include in the story and struggle for weeks working on a single chapter, all I have to do now is write it! That's right my friends! This fanfiction will be COMPLETED at some point and I hope you're all there with me when it is! I would tell you how many chapters there are altogether, but I don't want you to feel like you have to countdown til the end ;) I want you to be surprised!

Thank you so much to all my readers! I'm sorry if I haven't been answering individual comments/questions that you may have! But i just don't want to give anything away (;

School starts in FIVE days! I'm really excited but I won't let that keep me from continuing my stories! I will continue all of them whenever I have free time! I am a high school senior and will be busy with LOTS of things but I'm sure when I get a chance to relax I can work on my stories more.

Chapter 7 is in the works!

Love you all!

UPDATED 090210