Chapter two

Running away towards a better life

 

I woke up when someone lightly shook me. 
"Jia, wake up~ the train will reach Weihai soon." I heard my brother saying softly. 
 
I rubbed my eyes and fixed my position, now sitting properly. I guess it's a habit from living with the harsh uncle of mine.
 
The train stopped and we proceeded to the exit. 
"Hey, Jia. If you ever need any help in Korea, call this number." Luhan said as he handed me a piece of paper.
"Thank you, Luhan!" I smiled sincerely at him and put the note in my pocket.
 
"Jia, let's go to the harbor right away, the faster we do it, the better." 
 
We walked to the harbor, with the help we received from some people in the streets.
 
We decided to search for some kind of office or information section, and succeeded after about half an hour. Up till now, everything had gone pretty smooth. 
 
We walked into the office and walked up to the secretary sitting in the lobby.
 
"Excuse me, miss, but could you tell us if there are any ships going to South Korea soon?" Kris asked and flashed her a smile. She checked some things on her computer and turned to us again.
"Well, there are one that's leaving in about two hours, they're loading it right now." 
"And could you perhaps tell us where we can find this ship?" she gave us the directions and we found the gigantic boat without any problem.
 
"Excuse me, where can I find the captain?" Kris asked one of the workers. 
"He's on board." 
"Could you please lead us to him?" 
"Follow me." and so we did.
 
We walked around in a few corridors and climbed a few stairs before finally reaching a door with a sign saying 'Captain' on it. 
 
The worker knocked on the door and opened it. 
"Boss, you've got visitors." he said before he disappeared.
 
"Come in." the captain said. We walked into the room and slightly bowed.
"What are the two of you doing here?" he asked.
"Sir, is there a chance for us to get a ride to South korea with this boat?" Kris asked as politely he could.
 
"How much are you able to pay?" 
Kris showed him the amount of money we had decided earlier. The captain seemed to think about it.
"I can also offer to work-" he didn't let Kris finish.
"You do the nightshift and you can come." 
"Deal."
 "deal." they said as they shook hands.
*
Kris and I shared a small room with unbelievably hard beds. 
 
I was alone in the room since Kris were working. I sighed *I can't sleep on those beds* I thought. But apparently I was wrong, because the next time I opened my eyes, Kris were lying on the other bed and there was light coming through the thin curtains. 
 
I figured Kris would be tired by now and decided not to wake him up. 
 
I walked to the windows and peeked through the curtains. The only thing I could see was water. *stupid me* 
 
Suddenly, there was a speaker voice.
"We will reach our destination in twenty minutes. Everyone must leave their room within ten minutes." 
 
I walked up to my brother and woke him up. 
"We're almost there." I told him. "We have to be out of the room in ten minutes."
 
We gathered our things and followed the workers. The boat reached the harbor and the entrance opened. We proceeded out of the ship and we had successfully escaped china. What we needed now was a place to live.