Chapter one

Running away towards a better life

 

 

Before the story starts, I wanna tell you some things about our past.

 

My name is Jia and my brother's is Kris. Our dad died in a car accident when I was 10 and Kris was 14. 
Our mom sent us to her brother, since she couldn't afford food and a place to live.

Our uncle started drinking and hit us. We lived that way for eight years, until we finally decided to run away. We didn't know where to go, but we had to escape. 

And now, we are sitting at the train station with the few things we own and hope to find a place to go. 

"We could go to Korea." I suggested. 
"Why Korea?" my brother looked at me.
"Well, dad was from Korea, I've always wanted to go there. And we know Korean after all." 
"Hm, it could work. We could go there by boat, it's not that expensive and I can offer to work for a cheaper price."   
"Isn't Weihai pretty close to Korea..? Maybe we can find a train that goes to Weihai and
 travel by boat from there."

"We could try. Hopefully, it'll work." 

We found out that a train to Weihai would leave in about 15 minutes. We bought tickets and bought some food to have on the ride. It would take about 14,5 hours to get there by train.

The train arrived and we boarded it. In our compartment, there were a cute guy, slightly older than me, it was hard to guess how old he was, and an older lady. And me and Kris, of course. 

The lady was reading a book and Kris fell asleep pretty fast. It didn't take long before the lady fell asleep as well. I looked at the guy across of me. He suddenly spoke.

"What are you going to do in Weihai?" 
"Huh? Oh, me and my brother are going to find a boat to Korea." he nodded.
"I'm going to Korea as well. I usually live there, with ten of my friends, but had to go back home to China for awhile." this time I was the one nodding. 
"Actually, we're kinda running away. Oh and by the way, I'm Jia." I told him.
"I'm Luhan." he introduced himself.

 

We talked a bit more until my eyelids felt heavy and I fell asleep in no time.