Chapter three

Running away towards a better life

I read one of the signs at the port; ‘Port of Gunsan’. *Gunsan? Isn’t that like... 213 km from Seoul?* I turned towards my brother. 
“Kris.. We’re in Gunsan..” I said as I pointed at the sign. 
“Let’s try to find a bus or something then.” He simply answered. 


We searched our way out of the port and started looking for a bus station of any kind. There weren’t many people out this early, but I spotted a guy, slightly younger than us. I walked up to him.
“Excuse me?” He looked up from his phone. 
“Do know how to get to Seoul from here? Like, if there are any bus station or something nearby?”

“I don’t think there are any buses at sundays, but the bus station isn’t that far from here,” and with that he told me the directions. I thanked him and Kris and I started walking again. 
*
He was right, there wasn’t any buses heading to Seoul that day. We bought tickets for early the next morning and went to get some food.
“I guess we have to stay in Gunsan for the night.”
“But where?” I questioned.

“We’ll find something.”

*
We roamed around in Gunsan for awhile, without much success in finding a place to stay at over the night.

The evening drew closer. I sighed. 
“Should we ask someone about a hotel or something?” 

“I’m not even sure if we can afford a hotel right now..” Kris said.
“Then, we’ve got a problem..”
“I won’t let you sleep on the streets, we will find something.” He promised.

I noticed a group of people sitting on a bench and I approached them. 
“Excuse me,” They looked up. “Do you know where we can stay over the night for a cheap price..?” By now Kris were standing next to me.


One of the boys in the group smiled. 
“Hyung! Your house is big! We can have a sleepover and they can join us! Can’t they, hyung?!” He spoke to one of the others.

“Chill maknae. Let’s discuss this first.” They turned towards each other. 

I glanced at Kris and then at the six boys in front of us. They seemed done and turned towards us again. 
“You can come..” The one with the house said. 
“Really? I don’t want to be a burden..” 
“If I can deal with these five” he pointed towards his friends “I can handle the two of you.”

“Why did they even agree?” I asked Kris, in chinese. The boys looked wondering at us.
“I don’t know, let’s just go with them anyway. It’s late and it’s only for one night anyway.” He answered.
*

They were right, the house was big. Okay, it was enormous. We followed the boys into the house. They showed us the room me and Kris would sleep in. We proceeded to the kitchen.
“What’s your names anyway?” One of them asked. 
“I’m Jia and that’s Kris.” I spoke instead of my brother.

They introduced themselves as well. [They won’t be in the rest of the story anyways, so I won’t introduce them individually.Sorry.]

“Have you guys eaten?” The one named Jiho asked. He was the one living in the house. 
“Uhm, not really.” I answered. Thruth was we hadn’t filled our stomachs since the morning, at the bus station.

He opened the fridge and started getting ingredients for some ,at the time, unknown dish.  
“Can I help with anything?” I asked him.
“You look tired, go take a shower and rest. I’ll call you when the dinner’s ready.” I did as he said.
*
After the shower I sat down at ‘my’ bed and thought about everything that had happened those last days. My thoughts was interupted when I heard Jiho’s voice from downstairs.
“Jia! Dinner’s ready!” I walked downstairs and sat down next to Kris and another guy named Junyeon. The served dish was kimchi stew. I complimented the food and got myself another serving.


We went to bed after eating, since the bus would leave early the next morning.
*
I woke up by the light shining bright right in my face. I looked at the watch hanging on the wall. It was almost seven. I shot out of the bed and woke Kris up. The bus would leave about 8:15 and we needed time to take us to the station. 

We stressed through breakfast and morning routines. When we finally were done, I knocked at the door to the room the boys slept in. A sleepy Jaejin dragged himself to the door and opened it.
“We’ll be leaving now, thank you for letting us stay.” I said.
“No problem, Jia. Have a safe trip to Seoul.”


Kris and I hurried to the station. The bus was just about to leave when we arrived. We wouldn’t make it if we’d come one minute later. I sighed in relief as I sat down in the bus.
“We have to be careful with our money now, there aren’t much left actually, especially not if we need food every day..” Kris thought out loud. 

“But, Kris.. Where will we live in Seoul?” I asked. 
“Don’t worry Jia, we’ll found something.” He assured me. I trusted him and nodded. 
“You can sleep if you want to.” He told me. 

“I want to keep you company.” I smiled at him.

“We’ll get a better life Jia, that’s why we’re here after all.” Kris smiled at me.