Chapter four

Running away towards a better life

 

***BORING CHAPTER ALERT! EXO WILL ACTUALLY START APPEARING IN THE NEXT CHAP THO***
 
Everything we'd done these last few days was traveling, sitting on buses, sitting on trains, riding boats. It felt good to finally arrive in Seoul after all those hours on the road. 
 
I stretched my body as I got of the bus, setting my foot in Seoul for the first time. 
 
It was late afternoon/ early evening when the bus stopped for the day. We took a tour of our new hometown, looking at all different kind of things Seoul's famous for. 
 
A few hours later, I couldn't feel my legs anymore after all walking. I looked around at the surroundings. 
 
It was starting to get dark and we were in some kind of slum area, some the houses were abandoned and the windows were broken. 
 
"Hey," my brother started and I looked up at him. "The weather's nice tonight, 
You think we can sleep outside tonight?" he suggested. 
"Yes! We haven't done that since.. Dad took us out to the countryside when we were kids.." I suddenly remembered. 
 
Kris seemed to spot something by the wall of the building behind us. He approached it and I followed him. When we came closer I saw that it was a container. If you climbed it, it was high enough for us to reach the fire escape ladder attached to the wall, which lead to the roof. 
 
Kris helped me up on the container and I started climb upwards. We were both on the roof soon after that. 
 
It was almost totally empty, with exceptions of some trash laying around.
 
I took out my pillow and a blanket and tried to find a good sleeping place. I placed my things close to Kris's, in case the night would be cold. 
 
Despite the hard surface under my body, I fell asleep pretty fast. The sounds from the streets didn't even bother me, I guess I was really tired. 
*
The sun shone bright next time I woke up. Kris woke up right after me. We gathered our things and got down from the roof. 
 
We roamed around for a bit. I heard two strangers' conversation as we were passing by.
"The weather forecast said it will rain pretty heavily tonight." the first woman said.
"It's supposed to be a storm tomorrow though." the other one said.
 
I told Kris about what I just heard. 
"We try to find a cheap hotel  for these two nights." 
 
As if it was fate, we walked by a house with a sign saying 'Hotel' on it. The building looked like it was going to fall apart any minute. We walked inside anyways. 
*
Half an hour later I found myself sitting on a bed, which looked like it was older than the building, in a room even smaller then the one I lived in at my uncles place. It was pretty much he size of a bigger closet.
*
The night was horrible. The rain kept coming through the walls in some way and I swear, the wind was about to blow the house away. I didn't get much sleep at all. 
 
"There will be a storm tonight, we can't sleep here again." 
"Where will we sleep then?" Kris questioned.
 
I suddenly got an idea. I grabbed my jacket and took out a piece of paper from the pocket. I took the phone, probably the only thing in the hotel actually working, and dialed the number. 
 
"Yoboseyo?"
"Excuse me, is Luhan there?"