New Kid On the Block

He's Got A Boy [ON HIATUS]

 

               Donghae started rushing around his room, drying his hair as he quickly pulled up his dress pants and wrapped the belt around it to keep it from sagging down to his . He was swift and quiet with every move he made (which was rare since he would usually trip somewhere along the way); sad to say, Donghae face-planted on the floor when he tripped over the electric cord of his desk lamp. Donghae got up and looked over at his hyung who was sleeping soundly on his half of the room.

                Looks like he spoke too soon.

                “How’s the floor Donghae?” Donghwa asked, rubbing his eyes sleepily.

                “Fine,” Donghae mumbled, putting on one of the many dress shirts he had and lugged above his favorite sweater vest over it. “Did I wake you up hyung?”

               “A little bit,” Donghwa said, lying on his stomach as he fluffed his pillow. “Not like it’s anything new.”

               Donghae hummed in response and threw the towel on his bed as he sat on the edge to wear his black oxford shoes. Tapping his foot a bit, he stood up once again and put on his glasses and bowtie. It was all out nerdy . . . just the way he liked it.

                When he was satisfied with how he looked, he quietly walked out of the room after hearing Donghwa’s faint snoring . . . until he tripped over his own feet on the way out.

                He jogged down the steps of the house his family had moved into recently. To be honest, he didn’t like it. He was much more comfortable back in Mokpo; the urban city life in Seoul was a whole new world to Donghae and he felt like a fish out of water whenever he stepped out to the streets.

                But then there was his father’s job. They have just promoted him to a higher position and raise and his family couldn’t let go of the opportunity, so they moved on behalf of his father to be closer to the new working environment.

                He jogged down the stairs where his backpack would be and walked into the kitchen. “Good morning Donghae-ah,” greeted his mother.

                “Good morning ommoni,” replied Donghae.

                “Your breakfast is on the table, it’s the usual,” Mrs. Lee said. Donghae smiled and sat down. It was a whole wheat bagel with egg whites and turkey bacon, his favorite strawberry milk on the side. He finished it all in one bite and chugged down the milk before wiping his mouth with a napkin.

                He sighed contently at the feeling of his stomach being full, and glanced at his watch. “Oh Figgie sticks, I’m going to be late!” He cursed under his breath and ran around the house, grabbing his backpack and walking out the door.

...

….

                Donghae opened the door again and ran upstairs into the bathroom and brushed his teeth, making sure to floss and rinse with mouth wash. When he was done, he ran back down the stairs, passing by his father who was half asleep.

                “Yah, Donghae-ah, where are you going this early in the morning?” called his father weakly.

                “I’m going to school!” He answered, bowing to his parents ninety degrees before he was out like lightning once again.

                Mr. Lee scratched the top of his head and looked on at his son as Mrs. Lee came to stand next to him. “Our son’s a weird one, honey. He’s on his way to school and his classes begin at 9 a.m. It’s only 7 in the morning!”

                “He’s just a school enthusiast,” Mrs. Lee calmly replied, walking into the kitchen to brew some coffee.

                Well, that’s just a nice way of saying their son is a ‘complete geek who would never, ever get laid on by a girl if he keeps this up’

 Mustachebanner_zps22b08e9c.png

               Donghae smiled contently as he sat on the bench under the oak tree that was located in the school’s garden. Honestly, this was the reason why he left so early. It took an hour to get from his house to the school, and he needed some time to scout the place. He was told S.M. Academy was a very prestigious and beautiful school, and he couldn’t agree more.

                The academy is from junior high to university, with one other building just for the elementary and preschool students.

                Nothing like the smell of thermodynamics to start the day! Indeed; with the quiet and calm scenery, it created a peaceful and serene vista.

                “HEY, WATCH OUT!”

                Almost as if on cue, a soccer ball came flying at Donghae and before Donghae could even react, it hit him right in the face, causing him to fall back off the bench.

                So much for a peaceful time, Donghae groaned inside his head, before he out.

                “Aish,come on; help me bring him to the nurse.”

♦ ♦ ♦

                Donghae groaned as he opened his eyes slowly. He looked around at his surroundings and got up suddenly when he was somewhere unfamiliar.

                Bad idea.

                His brain pounded against his head and he was sure there was a bump on his head. He closed his eyes a bit in attempt to stop the harsh throbbing with his head before he opened them again and finally taking note of the other people within the room.

                “Um, excuse me, but can someone explain where I am and how badly hurt am I?” said Donghae. They turned around in surprise and smiled at him.

                “Well good thing you’re awake sleeping beauty, you’re in the nurse’s office,” the guy who spoke highly reminded Donghae of a raccoon and the boy next to him gave him a wry smile.

                “You got hit by a soccer ball, the culprit is actually outside the room because he felt embarrassed and sorry about what he did,” the boy spoke.

                Donghae raised an eyebrow. “Well whoever it is, he’s got one heck of a kick.”

                The guy chuckled. “Well if you see him in person, you’d be surprised that he could even lift his own backpack.” Donghae nodded. “I see.”

                “By the way I’m Kim Young Woon,” the raccoon looking guy said, “Are you new around here?” Donghae nodded.

                “I knew it! But it was kind of obvious since he wasn’t wearing the designated uniform,” the boy next to him exclaimed proudly. “I’m Lee Sungmin, nice to meet you—um . . .?”

                “Lee Donghae, my name is Lee Donghae,” Donghae smiled. “I’m pleased to meet you.”

                “Are you a first year?” asked Young Woon. Donghae shook his head. “Ah, so you’re a second year.”

                “Oh, he’s in the same year as me!” Sungmin grinned.

                “Well I guess he would be your guide today,” Young Woon said. He bowed to the nurse. “Thank you for helping out.”

                “No problem at all, now be sure to ice the bump on his head,” the nurse said, passing a bag of ice to Sungmin.

                Sungmin took it gingerly in his hands and nodded. “Arasso! Thank you again!” Donghae took it as his cue to get up and bow in thanks to the nurse and followed the two outside where he met three more people.

                “Oh is he okay now? I feel really awful about what happened!” Stammered the short one. He looked at Donghae with apologetic eyes. “I hope I didn’t cause you any damage.”

                Donghae could only stare at him. He was the one who kicked the ball? He was awfully too skinny and frail to even kick it a foot away from him. But the soccer ball clearly proved that thought wrong already.

                “Ah, it is okay, not like there was any permanent damage done,” Donghae reassured, and the short guy visibly brightened.

                “Oh, that’s good to hear!” He said.

                “You’re a new student at SM Academy, am I right?” The one standing said, using hand gestures as he talked. Donghae nodded. “Well, welcome. I’m Choi Siwon by the way.”

                “I’m Kim Ryeowook, I’m so sorry about what happened earlier,” Ryeowook apologized, bowing a bit. Donghae only smiled.

                “Really, it’s okay, no big deal.” Except that I could have seriously been in a deep concussion. He glanced over at the other person who was leaning against the wall with his hands in his pockets.

                “That’s Kim Kibum,” said Young Woon. “He’s not much of a talker.”

                “Well that I can clearly see,” Donghae mumbled.

                “I never got your name,” Siwon said and Donghae turned to him.

                “Oh sorry, I’m Lee Donghae, a second year.”

                “A second year? He’s practically in the year as me, Hyukjae, Zhou Mi and Sungmin,” Siwon said, scratching his head and raising a perfect eyebrow. “Who’s your homeroom teacher?”

                “Mr. Kim.”

                “Ah, you’re in the same class as Hyukjae and I then!” Sungmin said. Donghae shot a curious look and Sungmin waved a hand in front of his face. “You’ll meet him soon . . . well that’s if he’s not late again today.”

                “Well we should all get to class now, it’s already 8:48,” Young Woon said. Everyone agreed and Sungmin took it upon himself to drag Donghae with him since they were going to be classmates the whole school year now. Donghae let himself get dragged and he watched as the others start to disperse into their own paths.

                “So who is older and younger than I?” Donghae asked, looking up at Sungmin who held a firm grip on his arm and his steadfast pace (even if Donghae kept tripping over every little thing).

                “Well Ryeowook and Kibum are first years. Kangin is a third year.”

                Donghae nodded, taking in all the information. He bumped into another student and he realized that as they kept walking forward, the halls were getting even more crowded and full with students. They were minding their own business but there were a few that noticed him and started whispering to each other.

                “Don't mind them; they are just being the nosy pricks they are,” Sungmin assured. He came to a sudden halt, causing Donghae to push against him.

                “Why’d you stop?” Donghae asked, curiously looking at him.

                “We’re here, that’s why,” Sungmin grinned. Sungmin opened the door to the classroom and casually greeted a few of his friends . . . leaving Donghae to awkwardly look inside at the door.

                CRASH

                “Oh sorry!” A male student pushed Donghae by the shoulder as he ran by, causing the books to fall out of his bag. Donghae sighed and just nodded, indicating that it was okay. The male student just continued walking. He could have at least helped me pick them up.

                Donghae stood up again, putting his books inside his bag again. Donghae glanced at Sungmin who was submerged in a conversation with his buddies. Sungmin was completely oblivious to what had happened, and was totally side tracked that he forgot he was supposed to be guiding Donghae.

                “Okay everyone, take your seats,” the teacher said, marching into the room with his book in hand. The students were still all over the place as Donghae took a seat up front near the door. There was no name tag on it so he guessed it was unoccupied. “I SAID TAKE YOUR SEATS!” The teacher banged on the desk, causing the students to jump and run into their seats. Donghae chuckled.

                “Thank you. Now I heard we were going to have a new student today so I should introduce myself. I’m Mr. Kim, the physics and calculus teacher for this class. Mr. Lee, would you please stand up?” Mr. Kim gestured to Donghae to stand and Donghae obliged.

                He walked to the front and he could already feel the pressure of having all eyes on him. He wasn’t good with peer pressure. “Annyeonghaseyo, Lee Donghae imnida.”

                The students started to whisper at his obvious accent and Sungmin just smiled at him. “Now, are there any questions for Domghae-ssi before I move on with the lesson?”

                A few raised their hands, and most of them were from girls. “Do you have a girlfriend?” Donghae shook his head. “Well would you like to have one?” Donghae blushed at the direct question.

                “Okay, any questions that don't involve his love life?” Mr. Kim asked impatiently. Everyone’s hands went down and Mr. Kim shook his head. “Idiots. You can take your seat now Mr. Lee. But I suggest you go buy the designated uniform in the school’s office, you don't want to stand out so much now.”

                He was relieved when he was allowed to sit down again, and all eyes turned away from him and back to the teacher. The rest of class continued without incident until the lunch bell rang.

  Mustachebanner_zps22b08e9c.png

                “So how do you like SM Academy so far?” asked Sungmin. Donghae shrugged.

                “It’s alright; this is all new to me.”

                “Clearly you mean the school and not the curriculum. You were practically raising your hand for every problem. Mr. Kim seemed really impressed with your knowledge of thermodynamics and your credibility to answer a calculus problem within fifteen seconds.”

                Donghae sheepishly smiled. “I tend to read a lot in my free time is all.”

                “And I believe you.”

                They walked toward a table in the lunchroom, and Donghae almost choked at the size of people at the table. There was probably six of them there, and he had a feeling that wasn’t everyone.

                “Sungmin-ssi, are they all your friends?” Donghae asked. Sungmin nodded happily.

                “Yup, come on! You have to meet them!”

                Once again, Donghae was dragged in with the wretched arms of Sungmin. Upon arriving, Donghae recognized quite a few of them already. “Hey guys!”

                “Hey Sungmin, who’s your friend?”

                For a minute Donghae thought the person who talked was Siwon. Sungmin smiled. “This is Lee Donghae Zhou Mi, he’s a new student.”

                Zhou Mi? Did Sungmin-ssi mention him before? Donghae thought, bowing to him a bit in greeting. Zhou Mi smiled. “It’s nice to meet you Donghae-ssi.”

                Sungmin prompted Donghae to sit, squishing in between Siwon and Kibum. “Where’s Dong Hee?”

                “He’s on line with Young Woon and—”

                “Who the hell are you?” asked a voice from behind Donghae.

 


 

{Mochi Mustache}

Ok honestly, I'm surprised so many subscribed even when I didn't have chapter one up. Hopefully this chapter wasn't boring since I was actually writing/typing this while I did my homework and was studying for my regents exam. I hoped it was enough and maybe I'll add in another chapter tomorrow! ^^

Thank you for reading!