The Crazy First Day

The New Girl Game

From what my friend told you, I bet you thought I my first day of school was perfect.

Having hot Korean guys following you around would be any kpop fan girl's dream right?

Well, my day was anything but!

First my alarm clock broke, so I woke up late. Then, I'm greeted by ice cold water for my morning shower because someone used up all the hot water. (That's right, I'm talking about you Unnie!). To make things worse, I got on the wrong bus on my way to my new school.

And oh yeah! Every time I looked over my shoulder, I swear that I saw someone following me...

Great, one week in town and I already found myself a stalker...

 

But by some miracle, I actually got to my school and wasn't late!

Yay!

At first, things seemed like everything would get better. My class even seemed somewhat nice! A lot of guys ran up to me and introduced themselves. And a few friendly girls heard my growling tummy and offered me some food.

(Did I mention that I left without eating breakfast? You can blame my unnie for that too... She doesn't have anything in her fridge!)

The problem came when the teacher made me get up in front of everyone to introduce myself.

So in front my whole class, I bowed and proudly said "Annyeong haseyo! Cho-nun Soojin-minida."

Yes, I was Korean,. But I was born and raised in the U.S of A, so my Korean wasn't the best. Which is why I was so proud of that one moment when I actually managed not to look like the village idiot.

 

Then the trouble came....

"Okay boys, as always, you have 15 minutes for questions." My teacher shifted through his messy desk and pulled out a stopwatch.

"Soojin, you have to answer any question asked. No exceptions."

I looked at the teacher quizzically. Was he mental? Letting high school students ask any question? I shudder to think about some of the things my friends would have asked back home....

"It's a school tradition."

A strange tradition, but it made sense. I was the new girl after all. All I could do was hope that no one would ask 'creeper questions' as I call them.

"What's your ideal type?".

My eyes nearly popped out of my head when I heard the first question. Yeah, definitely a 'creeper question'! I turned to the teacher to see if I had to answer that, to which he nodded.

"I like..." I hesitated before going on "...guys who sing and dance."

Random questions started to pop out from everywhere, all from boys.

So many people were speaking at the same time!  I panicked and turned to the girls for help, yet all they gave me was a 'Fighting!' fist and smiled.

The first few minutes were the worse. My mind couldn't process everything. Everything was a huge blur. I stuttered a lot (which lowered considerably lowered my Korean speaking confidence) Plus, everyone was talking so freakin' fast! 

Somehow, I fished out a few questions among the mosh pit of voices and answered them:

"Ideal date?" a voice in the back shouted. I noticed his adorable smile and kept a mental note to keep an eye out for him.

"Easy, a day at an arcade. Maybe a karaoke date too."

A brown haired boy asked excitedly, "Favorite Pokemon?"

"Pikachu."

 "Favorite restaurant?" A blond kid in the back of the class spoke up.

"McDonalds. I love their apple pies!"

You get the picture. For 10 minutes, every single guy in class asked at least one question.

Some were even taking notes!

I know that I'm gorgeous and everything, but it was too much!

"Five minutes left!" the teacher announced.

By then, I needed some coffee! I needed a Monster or Red Bull! Anything would have great!  I never thought that a simple Q&A could be so tiring...

 

Suddenly the door flew open and a blond haired kid came flying at me!

Pinned down on the floor, I looked into the boy's eyes. I really pissed off. His eyes grew wide, but not in fear of the intense rage radiating from me...

"Hey I know you! You're the girl I followed to school this morning!"

"I'm sorry, did you just say you followed me?" This was my stalker?

He smiled, "Yeah!" His eyes scanned my face, "I guess you're the new transfer?"

I nodded.

"Nice to meet you! The name's Junhong, but everyone here calls me Zelo!"

"It's nice to meet you Zelo. I'm Soojin. Can you get off of me now?"

We were still lying on the floor in the front of the class. Some of the guys were grumbling in the background.

"I'd rather not. I like the view from here."

I scoffed, "What's there to see? The gum wrappers on the floor?"

"Well, that and your pretty face." He winked.

What a "subtle" way to flirt... It was so cheesy I couldn't help but laugh. Yet, I found my cheeks burning from the compliment. 

Zelo slowly rolled off me and stood up. He offered his hand to help me get back on my feet, but I managed on my own.

The stop watch beeped right as I stood up, signaling the end of question time. My teacher looked at Zelo angrily, "Choi Junhong, care to explain why you came flying through my classroom door late?"

"Oh, I was just on my skateboard, I didn't mean to make a crash landing on Soojin-yah."

The teacher sighed and shook his head, "Just take your seat. You'd think that I'd be used to this by now..."

I watched as Zelo made his way to his seat in the back. He smiled to a few girls obviously whispering about him and took his place next to the other blond haired boy from before.

My first impression?

Zelo was a douche bag.

Cute, but a total douche.

 

"Soojin, you can sit next to Youngmin in the second row." 

A head popped up in the second row. For a moment, I thought I was going crazy. I swear that kid was sitting in the other row!

Sadly, it took awhile for me to realize that he was a twin.

The realization made my inner anime fan girl scream. Two blond Asians and a pair of twins? Where was Mori-senpai and Kyoya?

Youngmin smiled at me as I sat down. "Nice to meet you!"

Dang...

He was hot.

My friends in the U.S. always gave me crap about how all the Asian guys looked too girly. Youngmin definitely would have changed that opinion...

Plus, he was really sweet.

When I didn't understand what the teacher said, he would translate the best he could. When it looked like I had no idea what was going on, Youngmin would let me share his notes. When I was dying of boredom during English, he would keep me entertained with a game of tick-tack-toe, hang man, or pictionary.

We even passed notes when the teacher wasn't looking! Thank God that my parents made me learn how to read hangul!

"So, you came from America?" he scribbled quietly.

"Yeah, I'll be staying for about a year." 

"Why? To study Korean?"

"One of the reasons I guess. My parents are traveling around the world for a year. Couldn't take me with them."

After the teacher caught us, we stopped passing our little notes. But every once in awhile, Youngmin would slide his notebook over just enough for me to read what he wrote; usually it would be a stupid but cute joke that made me smile.

First impressions of Youngmin?

Gorgeous, sweet, and close to perfect.

 

Soon, class was dismissed for lunch.

Youngmin and his Pokemon loving twin Kwangmin left first, along with the boy with the adorable smile, Minwoo.

The second they walked out of the room, I found myself surrounded by a group of boys. 

All begging me to have lunch with them.

And sadly they reeked of desperation....

"Yah! Back off guys! She's eating lunch with us!"

Everyone's head turned towards the demanding female voice. She stood in the back of class, with about four other girls flanking her from behind.

"Jaehwa?" I exclaimed. "Is that you? I haven't seen you in years!"

Jaws dropped to the ground as people began to realize that I actually knew the infamous Kang Jaehwa. Her frown melted into a smile, "Nice to see you again Soojin. You coming with?"

"I'm kind of stuck here." I said motion to the sea of boys still floating around my desk.

With a wave of her hand, the boys parted like the Red Sea and we all went to lunch.

After all these years, it was nice to see that my old friend hadn't changed.

"Thanks for that." I sighed, "It's driving me crazy!"

"Yeah, they all get like that whenever a new girl shows up. They'll leave you alone in a week or two." Jaehwa threw her arm over my shoulder. "Sorry about not saying 'hey' earlier."

I shook my head, "Don't worry about it! Let's just get some lunch! I'm staving!"

 

The lunch room smelled amazing.

I had no idea what it was called, but I remember my grandmother making something like it for Christmas!

The only problem was...

"Crap!" I hit my forehead, "I forgot my lunch money in my bag!"

Jaehwa fished through her pockets but didn't have enough for my meal. "I'll just run back to class."

"Will you be okay? Do you remember where the class is?"

"Yup! Just save me a seat!" I yelled as I ran towards the door.

 

Okay, this is where things get a little weird in my mind. It might sound strange, but as I ran, I a creepy sense of deja vu. My mind flashed back to a few nights ago when my unnie had some friends over for a movie night.

Movie night's theme?

Horror...

With everyone either at lunch or in class, the quiet hallways I walked through reminded me of one movies I saw...

Anyway, I pushed my fear aside and soon enough found my class! Wallet in hand, I was ready to finally buy some food. And of course, just after my one moment of bravery, I heard the sound of footsteps coming towards the door.

And like a cat in a rainstorm, I dove for cover under the teacher's desk.

"Please don't be a serial killer!" I chanted over and over inside my head.

"Man! That was some really amazing ramen!" Lighthearted voices filled the room. One belonged to Youngmin.

 

I bet you're thinking "Wow, what a stupid thing to do! It was just Youngmin!" But give me a break!  Every one knows that in horror movies, people who split from the pack will die!

Now, I had two options now that I knew I wasn't going to get murdered:

1. Stand up, say hi, and leave embarrassed.

2. Stay down and hope they don't find me

 

​Needless to say, I didn't feel like making a fool out of myself in front of Youngmin and his cute friends.

So I sat and listened in on their conversation.

Which I have to say took a turn for the better when Zelo and few of his blond buddies entered the room.

"Hey hyung! Let's talk!" Zelo demanded.

"We're listening..." I heard Youngmin say bored.

"It's about the game. Most of the teams start to drop out after the first few weeks."

"Game? Teams? What the heck...?" I thought to myself.

"Yeah, most give up after they realize they won't be able to compete to us." This time, it was Kwangmin who spoke.

"Let's speed things up. Let's team up."

Amused laughs filled the room. Minwoo then asked "Why should we do that?"

It was Zelo's quiet desk buddy Jongup who answered, "She's going to be a challenge. You're going to need as much help as possible."

"She? A girl?" I held down my curiosity and listened to the rest of the conversation.

"You're part of B.A.P! Aren't you known as Warriors or something?"

"The problem is that she's friends with her. We can't risk it."

"Ohhhh, so that's why..." Youngmin sounded like he didn't believe him. "But, isn't there another reason?"

Zelo sighed, now impatient. "Fine. Our team's dropped a few ranks since Daehyun and Youngjae graduated and we need help. Are you in or not?"

"Boyfriend and B.A.P teaming up together..." he sighed. "I don't see why not."

"Great! Let's talk strategy."

Jongup took the lead from there, "Since she's an international transfer, we can't play the game normally."

"What should we do?" Their voices trailed off as they left the room.

 

I'm not an idiot. I mean, I know that I have a tendency to fall asleep in class, but it's not like I'm incapable of putting two and two together.

Game = Some stupid guy thing

Teams = The guy version of cliques

Ranks = A way to measure a man's pride and ego

International transfer student = Me

"That's why I had to do a Q&A... It also explains why all those guys showed actual interest in me..."

Who said watching all those crime shows wouldn't pay off?

"It's a 'seduce the new girl game'..."

 

But how many other girls did this happen to? Did Jaehwa know something?

I thought of all the other girls this could have been done to. I thought of all the broken hearts and unanswered questions... 

It's hard enough to be a girl and we didn't need to be tricked like this.

Seriously, too much drama

Oh, I was pissed off.

"So they want to play a game huh? I'll show them how to-!"

My tummy grumbled.

"Hmmmh, avenging the heartbroken can wait until after lunch."


Yay! My first chapter!!! There is so much sarcasm that I hope it won't leave you confused!

Comment and tell me what you think so far!!!