Chapter 2

Honey Strawberry

 

after closing the door, Hyukjae let himself lying on the couch. He is now in his apartment, after one hour pedaling from university, finally he makes it till here. His condition not really helping him to reach home fast. Before, after he got hit by those guy, he collapse on the floor for some hours before he finally wake up again by himself because no one found him there.

He feels his body numb and his stomach growling, he sighs.

‘’I will eat later’’ he mutter silently to himself.

He sat down on the couch and turn on the laptop which he left it there before he went to university. The wallpaper show up and he smile bitterly.

It’s a wallpaper of two people. It showed a picture of a boy and a girl from head to waist, standing close beside each other.

Yes you are right

 The boy is Hyukjae, wearing a white spectacle with not so thick glass, a simple light green u neck collar t-shirt. He had his arm on the girl shoulder while the girl had her hand on his waist. Both of them look so happy with the girl’s smiling eyes and Hyukjae‘s gummy smile.

Hyukjae let his back hand trailing the girl face and sigh.

‘’hey, I miss you’’

Hyukjae feel a tug in his heart and hurriedly he let his finger run on the laptop touch pad. He clicks on the ‘Google’ twice and a tab appears. He opens his facebook and look at the notification. None. He got no notification. He scrolls down his wall and sigh again. Hyukjae feel bored but when he comes to facebook he still bored. Not like he has anything to do there anyway.

 

Kim kibum: heelloo

 

Hyukjae was about to log out his account when suddenly a chat box pop out. He looks at the name and smile.

 

Lee Hyukjae: hi

Kim Kibum: I have important thing to tell you ^^

Lee Hyukjae: tell me tell me ^^

Kim Kibum: well, it does not confirm yet but maybe... MAYBE 3 months from now, I’ll be back again to Korea

Lee Hyukjae:  REALLY!? Wahh I hope I can meet you then 

Kim Kibum: yeah~ you said before, you live at Seoul right?

Lee Hyukjae: yes yes

Kim Kibum: I will enter a university there.. But I’m not sure which one to choose yet... well who knows by any chance I will enter your university, can you show me around?

Lee Hyukjae: OF COURSE!! I’d love too! ^^

Kim Kibum: hehe.. Well actually I’m kinda nervous because it’s already 7 years I stay here at US.. So going back to Korea kinda makes me all excited kekekeke

Lee Hyukjae: wee~ I feel excited too! You will be a good friend of mine! ^^

Kim Kibum: I guess so Keke

Kim Kibum: ohh... I have to go now.

Kim Kibum: chat later Hyukkie!

Lee Hyukjae: ohh okay! Take care Kibummie!

Kim Kibum: next time we chat tell me what happened on your first day in university this year alright!

Lee Hyukjae: ohh kayy

Kim Kibum is offline

 

‘’first day in university this year.. Umm it doesn’t seem like a good start’’ Hyukjae pout his lips.

‘’hmm.. I’m bored..’’ he mumbling to himself

He was thinking what he should do when he heard his stomach growling again.

‘’ahh yeah I forgot to eat’’

He turns off his laptop and went to the kitchen. Upon he opens the refrigerator, his eyes travelling for some food in it. But what left there are only wilted vegetables and freeze cheese. He sighs again.

‘’aigoo.. I forgot to buy food and my strawberry milk’’ Hyukjae close his eyes and open it again. He takes a glance at the clock which hanging on the wall opposite him

‘’hmm.. 5pm... Guess the store nearby still open’’

He closes the refrigerator door and walk to the living room. He takes his jacket and wallet before his step out of his apartment.

The breeze make him shiver, he shove his hands into the pocket and walk. The store just two block away from his house and he decides to not using his bicycle.

He smile widely when he notice he just few step away from the store but his smile disappear when he already stand in front of it.

Close

Hyukjae blinking his eyes few times and took 5 minutes for his brain scanning the situation right now. After another 10 minutes he standing there, finally his growling stomach make him realize that he is ridiculously hungry. He turns and decides to go home while puffing his cheeks while groaning out of his frustration; he kicks the stone at the ground everywhere.

‘’gheerr..’’

Suddenly he heard something and he lifts his head. He widens his eyes when he found a raging bulldog in front of him. Well, basically the stone he was kicking before hit the dog.

Without wasting any second he sprinting to the opposite side while the bulldog run after him from behind. When he was running, he palms his hand and prays for his life.

He stop running and panting for air. He look at his back and he feel relieve when he don’t see the dog anymore. He stands on his feet for minutes to calm his pumping heart. When he feel calm again, he lift his head and look around.

‘’where is this?’’

Hyukjae look around and he notices him already in front of the supermarket.

‘’well, at least I won’t be starving tonight’’ he smile

He enters the supermarket and takes a trolley and takes every food he went into it. In food section, he buys some vegetable, beef, kimchi and many more. His stomach growling even more make an old lady beside him glaring at him. He blushing and bow his head a bit.

‘’holy strawberry’’ he said when he enter the drink section.

He saw the last carton of strawberry milk and he walk to it. He almost forgets about the whole world when his eyes only look for the strawberry milk that waiting for him.

‘Just few step away baby’ he though in his mind.

He takes the carton of strawberry and hugs it tightly.

‘’my angle…my girl.. my sunshi-‘’

‘’oppa can you give that to Sunny’’

Hyukjae look around him when he thought he heard something, but he doesn’t see anyone. He frowns.

He feels something tugging his shirt then he look down and he saw a little girl. He squat down and face her.

‘’yes?’’ Hyukjae ask her

‘’hello oppa, my name is sunny’’ sunny bow her head a little

‘’o-oh hi.. Oppa is Lee Hyukjae’’ Hyukjae said awkwardly ‘’ what do you want sunny?’’ ask Hyukjae to the little girl

‘’umm.. Sunny want that strawberry milk’’ sunny said

‘’t-this?’’ Hyukjae point his finger to the strawberry milk

‘’neh!’’ sunny cheers

‘’umm... b-but... oppa got first..’’ Hyukjae said silently

‘’but sunny want that~’’ sunny whining

Hyukjae look at the strawberry milk carton in his hand and look at the little girl again. He sighs.

‘’you really love strawberry milk?’’ Hyukjae ask

‘’neh! Sunny looove strawberry milk shoo much!’’ sunny said excitedly

‘’how much?’’ ask Hyukjae again. He started to like this kid. (Ya! like as dongsaeng alright)

‘’thhiisss much!!!’’ sunny spread her hands in the air making Hyukjae chuckle and squealing

‘’neh? Aigoo....’’ Hyukjae pat Sunny’s head and lend the strawberry milk to her ‘’ you can have it then’’

‘’really?!’’ ask sunny excitedly

‘’neh! But you must promise me that you will not waste a single drop of it!’’ Hyukjae point his index finger to her

‘’neh! Pinky promise!’’ sunny show him his pinky finger and Hyukjae do the finger promise.

‘’good girl’’ Hyukjae said as he mess the girl hair

‘’sunny?’’

Hyukjae and sunny lift their head and they saw a lady

‘’umma!!’’ sunny running toward her and hug her leg

Hyukjae stand up again and watch them

‘’umma! That oppa gimme the last strawberry milk!’’ sunny said

‘’really?’’ her umma said and continue ‘’say your thanks to him sunny’’

‘’neh! Thank you oppa! Next time if we meet I will treat you strawberry milk!’’ sunny said

Hyukjae smile widely and nod his head. Sunny bit goodbye to Hyukjae and Hyukjae watch her walk away with her mother.

‘’my strawberry milk…’’ he sighs ‘’ well, at least I know she love it too and will not waste it’’

Hyukjae push his trolley and went to the cashier. After he pays all his bills, he went outside the supermarket. The sky already dark and he look around to search for any taxi but he doesn’t found any of it.

He decides to walk to his apartment. He takes a long route to his apartment because the short route is kinda dark and he afraid if something happened on the way home.

He walks along the corridor beside the road. He doesn’t have any problem because many stores still have their light on. He was humming a song when he heard thunder sound from the sky. He walks faster with hope he can reach his apartment before the rain start pouring.

The sounds of loud thunder after another thunder make him jump sometimes. he fasten his pace but suddenly he feel a hard surface hitting him ,then what he know is he already fall on the ground.

‘’ouch!!’’

He groan and rub his nose few times, he collect back all his stuff on the ground and look back at the place he fall. He saw a box there. Actually he feels hesitant but his curious win his mind.

He move closer and open the box. He saw a puppy in it.

‘’aww, you are so cute’’ he said silently

‘’eh?’’

He feels a drop of water followed by another drop from above. Quickly he stand up, hugging his stuff with his left hand while his right hand holding the box.

He enters a store and search for a bench. When he found one, he put his stuff on it. Suddenly an old lady walks toward him and scold him

‘’ya! Pet is not allowed in this store!’’ she said

‘’I-I am sorry, it’s raining outside and this is the nearest store I found...please let me stay here until the rain stop’’ said Hyukjae

The lady was about to talking back when he found Hyukjae face begging on her to let him stay there. She frowns but nods her head.

‘’okay, but you should go out when the rain stop alright?’’

‘’neh! I will! Thank you so much!’’

The lady let Hyukjae be there and she went back to the counter. It was raining and she doesn’t have any customer. She only watches Hyukjae from her seat ‘’he can sit on the bench instead of putting all his stuff on it and standing there..’’ the lady mutter to herself

‘’aigoo you are lucky because I found you out there or else you already wet by now’’ said Hyukjae to the puppy

‘’Wang!’’ the puppy make a sound. Hmm, maybe he agrees?

After an hour, the rain stop pouring and Hyukjae went to the cashier to say his thank.

‘’thank you ahjumma. I will go now’’ he said and let out a think smile. The old lady smiles back to him and hand him a black plastic bag.

‘’eh?’’

‘’this is for you... I overheard you said that you found that puppy outside. You have such a good heart young man. Well, just imagine this is your reward for saving this poor puppy’’ the lady said making Hyukjae blushing

‘’n-neh.. Thank you’’ Hyukjae bow 90 degree to the old lady.

The rain already stop and he walk again to his destination.

After 15 minutes, finally he arrives. He unlocks the door and enters his apartment. He put the puppy on the couch and he put all the stuff he brought at the kitchen.

The clock already showed it already 8:30 pm. Hyukjae put a bowl of uncooked ramen in the microwave and take a bath while waiting his ramen to cook

‘’ahh.. So fresh!’’ he said when he smell the strawberry scent on his body after bathing. He takes the puppy and cleans it carefully.

‘’hmm... be good if you want to live here with me neh!’’ he said. Sometimes he squeals when he feels that puppy snuggle to him.

He takes a basket and put his old towel in it before he put the puppy there.

‘’let’s give you a name! You have chocolate color. I will just name you choco then!!’’

Hyukjae grinning as he feels proud of himself for the name he gave to the puppy

Suddenly he hears his stomach growling again. He quickly stands up and went to the kitchen. His smile widen when the microwave make a ‘ting’ sound. He takes the bowl and put it on his table. He takes a cup and makes a hot coffee to warm himself. He drinks the coffee he made but then he run to the sink and pour the liquid in it.

‘’ah! Dammit! I put salt instead of sugar!! Arrgh!’’ he groan and he sit back on his chair, ready to eat the ramen

‘’I will eat well!!’’ he said almost screaming. Maybe because he is too hungry?

Suddenly he stops and looks at the black plastic bag on the table. He frowns.

He takes the plastic and look into it.

He feels like crying a Han River when he saw a bottle of strawberry milk in it. Hurriedly he pours the liquid in the bottle into a glass. He gulps the liquid until there’s no more drop of it.

‘’aha~ I feel like crying.. This is the first strawberry milk I taste for today’’ he said, sobbing fakely.

After he finish digging his food. He went to his room and covers himself in the thick blanket. He doesn’t care anymore how worst his day can be as long as he can drink strawberry milk before sleep. And that night, he really has a peaceful night.

 

 

______________________________