Chapter 9

Honey Strawberry

It was another fine evening, Hyukjae already finish his class for today and he ed his white coat before he put it into the hanger in the laboratory. He takes a deep breath and decides to call it a day and he wants to watch some variety show for a while to give his brain a rest. He cleans his table and turn off his laptop before heading out from the lab. His has his hair pointed toward every direction and that’s the least thing he wants to give his concern at the moment.

On the way toward his bicycle, he stumble a little making the person in front groans in annoyance. He looks up and he sees Zhoumi walking hurriedly toward a room with a frown appearing on his forehead. Hyukjae stay for a while wondering why the taller man didn’t curse him today. Zhoumi would always find a chance to make fun of him every time he gets himself into trouble or anything unlucky.

He shrugs it off and made his way toward his bicycle. He’s too tired by now, so many things playing in his mind. He cycle around the building to take the back routes to avoid any traffic jam even though he still can take the path for cycling, he still doesn’t like the sound of the honk from impatient driver.

As he looks around, he aware he’s in front of business building when he sees sungmin walking out from the faculty with his hand full of files. For a brave moment their eyes meets each other and Hyukjae smiles sincerely toward the other and only get a blank expression in return. He looks back on his way and keeps cycling home. He had used to the reaction sungmin gives to him, and he has decided to give the other parties some times before he could approach him again. Maybe sungmin too... needs time, he thought.

 

***
 

‘’Donghae shii?’’

Donghae turns his head to look at the source of the voice; he looks at his back and raised an eyebrow when he sees Julian and her new boyfriend, Alex walking toward him. He tried to smile and bow his head a little before he greets both of them unwillingly.

‘’good evening too, we want to invite you to our party tomorrow night. I hope you will come’’ said Alex with his Russian-Korean mixed accent.

‘’ohh... party? Yeah! Of course!’’ he said as he nods his head, he can’t let this guy hurts his pride

‘’you may bring your partner as well donghae shii’’ Julian spoke this time, donghae knows she purposely using the formal language so that she can annoys him even more. But no, he won’t lose the battle.

‘’I will’’ he said happily ‘’where the party will be held and at what time?’’ he continues

‘’at my house’’ said Julian ‘’the party start at 8 pm’’ she while linking her hands with her foreign boyfriend

They walks away after they bids their goodbye and donghae watching them from the place he’s standing, boring the hole behind Alex’s back 'it was Jihyun last time, now Alex?' he thought. And as the other can sense him, Alex look back and smirks. Donghae rolls his eyes and make his way toward the café. He always knows that Alex had a grudge on him since the first time that foreign friend came to the university year ago. Both were always try to compete each other for their decent looking face. And this time, Alex has got his Julian. His Julian? Not anymore. Julian herself is known as the model look like with her slightly tanned skin and a body that men would die for.

But donghae was a bit different for that matter though. Sure Julian has the y figure that could turn on male’s hormones. Donghae did kiss her several times but he would never cross the line even if sometimes Julian would provoke him when they were still dating. And donghae always knows his limit when it comes to other people concern.

He sighs and contemplating for a little if he should let himself free from Julian, he always know there are still a lot of girls and some boys that are high over heels on him at the university. But a little part deep in his heart missing Julian so badly, maybe it’s because he had spend a lot of his times with Julian for too long already. They had dated for 5 years since in high school, and he can’t believe that Julian had turned him down to the core.

He was about to enter the café when he sees Hyukjae cycling toward the opposite direction. From the corner of his eyes, he barely can see his face, thanks to the dammed thick glasses. But he just knows that person was Hyukjae, He smiles to himself when he brain comes up with an idea. He takes out his smart phone and calling someone as he sat down on a chair in front of the small bar in the café.

‘’Minho, do you by any chance have Lee Hyukjae phone number?’’

’who was Lee Hyukjae?’’

Donghae sighs as he rolls his eyes

 

***

 

‘’what I’m supposed to do?’’ sungmin sighs heavily and he support his chin using his palm. The air at the rooftop is calm and sungmin love to waste his time here ever since he got in the university. He would watch Hyukjae from here until the letter get in his own faculty. He pouts and groans loudly making the birds got scared and fly away.

‘’Arrgh!! Why everything is complicated!’’ he screams as he punches the wall ‘’I would be lying to myself if I say I didn’t miss him... but I can’t forgive him just yet..’’ he said with small voice and starts to scream again to let out his stress

‘’Arrgh!!!’’

‘’then just meet him and have a slow talk! Stop talking nuisance and shut the hell up!’’ sungmin widens his eyes as if it was about to fall from its socket

‘Damn... someone was here?’ he looks at his back but found no one... then when he look at his right side, he frowns when he look at the neighbor building on his right side, someone was yawning as he rubbing the back of his head. Sungmin look at that person for a while and it seems that person was asleep.

‘’you are such dirt in the clean water... aish... bothering my precious sleep..’’ said that person sleepily

With that sungmin get back into his cold self, he takes his bag and files before he walk away from that place. ‘He’s asleep, he probably didn’t see my face’ he thought, he can’t deny it that he feels embarrassed with his confession earlier. Who know someone else would be there anyway?

It was silent after sungmin left the rooftop and suddenly a noise come out from the latter Smartphone; he answer is with his eyes still closed

‘’what?’’ he said as he rubs his eyes

‘’ya! Kyuhyun! Where the hell are you?’’ the other line said

‘’just get up from sleep’’

‘’good. Geez~ I can’t believe a phone call can make you awake though’’

‘’blame the noisy pumpkin... not the phone’’ said Kyuhyun lazily

‘’pumpkin?’’

‘’yeah, I dreamed about a pumpkin, he can scream awfully loud’’ he said lazily

‘’aish... whatever. Come fast! I’m bored to death here’’

‘’eh... what are you Changmin?’’

‘’usual place’’

‘’mkay’’

 

***

 

 

‘’Uwaa!! Taking a nap then watching some variety show is really good for release stress! Aigoo... it’s still early..’’ Hyukjae stretch his arms and look at the watch, it was just 7:30PM. He walks leisurely toward the refrigerator to take his daily strawberry dose. But unfortunately…

‘’Ahhhh!!!!’’ he whines as he takes out the empty strawberry milk carton. He pouts and sulk lonely ‘’aye… I’m too occupied with revision and thesis these days that I forgot to fill my refrigerator…’’ he stays in front of the open refrigerator for a while before he stands up.

He takes his long jacket and wears his glasses before he went out from his apartment not forgetting to bring the bunch of keys as he heading out. He would always combine all keys using a big ring to make sure he didn’t lose any of it. Among the stack of the keys, there is a tiny Monkey D Luffy keychain attached on it. He takes the lift to get down the ground floor and stops his track as soon he reaches the front door.

‘’umm... why is it suddenly raining…’’ he pouts again and grimaces lightly. ‘’I can’t use my bicycle..’’ he mutters softly. He was thinking about running through the rain since, he don’t care, he wants his strawberry milk! And he needs to fill his refrigerator as well. He shove his hand in his pocket then he reach for the keys. He frown ‘’shall I use it?’’ he thinks deeply

It takes 10 minutes before Hyukjae reach the underground parking lot and found his hidden baby. He walks slowly and unlocks the grail of a certain garage. As the keys jiggles and making some noise, a guard come in and checks the parking lot; he sees Hyukjae and smiles toward the younger, Hyukjae bow politely as hugs the old man.

‘’how was your study Hyukjae?’’ said the old man charmingly

‘’everything is fine ahjusshii, I’m doing some revision for the upcoming test’’ he reply with the same tone

‘’great that you are doing good young boy. Ahh.. No. you are no longer a boy, but a man now!’’

Hyukjae smiles and share some talking with the older, he ask Hyukjae if he needs some help and Hyukjae said that he can manage himself. The guard gives pats on his shoulder before them part away. Hyukjae continue to unlock the grail and he smile widely as he push the grail open.

‘’hello.. It’s been a while’’ he mutters silently

He trails the surface and he caught some dust on his finger, he makes a note in his mind to clean his baby later. He get in and start the engine before he drove the car, leaving the garage and the proud black plate with a gold alphabet written; VIP on it.

He drive the car 3 times careful than a normal human being since it’s been a long time he didn’t use the vehicle. He feels grateful that the car is still as the same like the last time he leave the underground garage. He stops in front of a convenient store and buys a lot of foods and cartons of strawberry milk. He feels lucky that there are not much people going out tonight because he wants to hide his baby from any harm (and people) since…well it’s not many Royal Blue Porsche around the area.

On the way driving back to his apartment, he sees a woman waving for any car to stop. If it’s not because of the car behind the woman are familiar, he would have drive straight –he do read about the robbery on the highway- . But no, he knows the car and he parks carefully in front of it. The woman run to him and tugs his sleeve. He frowns thinking that, what this woman is going under the heavy rain.

‘’is there’s anything I can help?’’ he ask, slightly raised his voice to make sure the woman heard him despite the sound of the rain and thunder

‘’young man! Please help me! Our car run out of fuel and my husband is having breathing trouble!’’

Hyukjae widens his eyes and quickly runs toward the driver seat. As he opens the door, he feels his heart stop for a second.

‘’Professor Jun!’’ He unlocks the seat belt and gives a quick check on him ‘’heart attack..’’ he mutters under his breath

‘’please save him…’’ the woman pleads behind him as she wiped her tears that mixed with the rain

‘’we need to bring him to the hospital now! I can’t do anything without the helper!’’ Hyukjae search for his pulse while looking at his watch ‘’52 beats per minutes... damn’’ hurriedly he flung his arm behind the professor and bring him into his car with the help of Mrs. Jun which he assume as his professor wife.

Hyukjae drive his car faster and they reach the hospital in no time. If the situation wasn’t as tension as now, he would have pats himself for driving like a maniac without involved in any accident. He calls for the emergency room immediately and help the doctor with the patient.

‘’you’ve checked the pulse?’’ ask the doctor

‘’yeah, 15 minutes ago it was 52 per min’’

‘’make sure record that in the note’’

Hyukjae had gone to this hospital for several times to make some review and to learn from the doctors, and the doctor in the emergency room would ask him for some help. Suddenly, Mrs. Jun ask him if she can borrow his cell phone, saying that she wants to call her son and forgetting her phone in the car earlier.

Hyukjae leave Mrs. Jun with his cell phone and his wet long jacket then enters the emergency room with the doctor. Mrs. Jun silently pray to heaven to bless the kind soul of Hyukjae before she bring his shaking fingers and tap the number of her son on the flat screen.

‘’Zhoumi... come to the hospital... you father…’’ she sobs hard

 

***

 

After Professor Jun condition is stable, Hyukjae get out from the emergency room and meet Mrs. Jun, he said if she want him to accompany her, but Mrs. Jun ask the young men to go home. She’s aware that Hyukjae would be busy with the revision since her husband did talking about the test the day before. Hyukjae bow politely before make his way, not forgetting to cheers a ‘fighting!’ to her which makes she chuckles.

Hyukjae take his glasses and wipe it using the hem of his shirt when Zhoumi walking past him hurriedly.

‘’mom! How’s dad!?’’ Zhoumi ask as he catch his breath

‘’he’s stable now... lucky there’s a young man helping us’’

‘’nugu?’’

‘’e-eh! Omo... I forgot to return his phone and jacket!’’ said Mrs. Jun panic, she gives the phone and jacket to Zhoumi and shush him to catch the glasses brunette

‘’return this to him! Faster! He should be around here still’’

Zhoumi quicken his pace and search for a certain glasses brunette. ‘This is the person? Who’s in the world would wear a t-shirt with a pajama pants and a neon sneaker together?’ he thought. Zhoumi pats the latter shoulder and tried to catch his breath once again and he almost chokes the air when Hyukjae turns his body.

‘’You-‘’

 

***

 

‘’is...that so’’ Zhoumi nods his head slowly

‘’y-yeah... umm, it’s good that we were fast…’’ Hyukjae mutters with his eyes eyeing the suddenly interesting floor

‘’t-thank you... Hyukjae shii’’ Zhoumi said silently

‘’Nah... Anyone would do the same if they are in the same situation as me’’ Hyukjae said again, sound cheerful

‘’yeah... I wonder’’ Zhoumi said, he chuckles ‘who else would stop by the road in this kind of weather? If there’s anyone, that person is you’ Zhoumi thought, he had to admit that he feels ashamed, how irony, the person he would make fun of now is the person he owe.

They bid their goodbye and both marching to the different direction.

 

***

 

Hyukjae parks his car and lock the grail, he then take the lift and walks straight toward his apartment. He put all the stuff in the refrigerator and let out a sighs. He smiles his gummy smile as he takes the strawberry milk and pours it into a glass. It was already midnight and he decide to go to sleep after he check if there’s he any massage from kibum and after finishing his strawberry milk.

‘’umm?’’ he frown as he read the message kibum leave for him in the facebook

 

Kim Kibum: I’ve some matters in my hand now and I couldn’t go online. Have fun and take care of yourself! Don’t get into trouble! And don’t forget to update your condition! Just give message, I’ll read later! Good night and Good morning!

 

Hyukjae chuckles and he type his story about today... from the moment he wakes up until he gets to drink his strawberry milk. He smiles before he turns off the laptop and put it on his study table. He takes his glasses and put it on his bedside table and then he rests his back on the soft mattress.

Suddenly his phone beeping indicating there’s new message in his inbox. He opens the message and widens his eyes.

 

Hyukjae? It’s donghae. Sorry for bothering you at this time. I hope we can have lunch tomorrow? I’ll wait you at the same café before. Oh, you don’t have to reply even if you are still awake! Good night!

 

Hyukjae swear his cheeks are getting hot. He smiles and put his phone beside his glasses

 

‘’ I can’t be more thankful for today’’ he smiles. He takes a pillow and hugs it tightly before let out a girly squeal, suddenly feeling all giddy. ‘He can just send me the message tomorrow but he chooses tonight?’ he thought before he closes his eyes.

 

***
 

‘’great! Maybe now he thinks I’m weird! Suddenly give a message like that... what to do?’’ donghae wondered dumbly as he stared boringly on his smart phone screen. At the end, he blamed his fingers that irk to type the message. He got Hyukjae phone number in hard way that he had to ask Siwon to help him, and Siwon had to and his friend, and his friend had to ask the other friend of them until someone said... ‘’I think I have it on my old notebook’’

‘It’s so hard to get his phone number. He better dreaming about me tonight’ He dismiss his thought and lie on the bed, suddenly wishing Hyukjae will dream of him for no reason.

 

***
 

At the mean time, Hyukjae was dreaming about racing in the arena with his baby Porsche with gallons of strawberry milk at the back seat.

‘’I’m so cool..’’ he mutters in his sleep

 

______________________________

 

I gave you the cool Hyukjae today!!

Comment and up vote it if you like ^^