Chapter 10

Honey Strawberry

The walk to the café seems too fast as Hyukjae’s mind seems too occupied with something. He do not even realize that he make it to the café safely without getting any accident on the way even though it is unbelievably a foggy morning. He let out a heavy breath and stop his track abruptly the next second as his breath fogs his glasses. The small bell make a sound as he enters the café makes the staff inside turns their head toward the front door. The cashier takes a glance to the nearby clock; 6:30AM, while the other workers continue their work to set the café before it officially runs for the day. Hyukjae take a seat at the very end of the café just beside the huge glasses window and takes a deep breath. What a calm weather outside, opposite to his mind.

 

It was 5 in the morning when Hyukjae suddenly wake up since he’s choking for some air -Choco apparently find out sleeping on Hyukjae face is warmer than the bed- and place the puppy beside him. If not because of the clock next to him is out of battery, he wouldn’t know he have a text message. So he takes his cell phone and check the time -5:03AM-. He runs his hand on his hair and frown. It is another unidentified number. Lazily, he brings his thumbs and opens the message. Thanks the heaven there was a carpet beside the bed or Hyukjae cell phone would have a scratch since it fall so ungracefully from his hand. Hyukjae can’t remember when the last time he feel his heart stops for quite a while until that moment.

 

Remember the oak tree by the river? 6PM. don’t be late.
-Sungmin

 

The waiter put the strawberry milkshake on the table and gives a polite smile and Hyukjae return the smile and sip the cool liquid silently. He couldn’t sleep at all from the moment he read the message given by Sungmin, at last he leave the house and came here, his mind totally forget to lock the door as he gets out. He aware the world know that this is what he want, but at this moment he’s finally admit to himself that he’s not ready to meet the Blondie yet, and the strawberry milkshake doesn’t help to calm his heart either.

Meanwhile the cashier at the back call the waiter with a hand gesture, ‘’hey Zelo, is that costumer okay?’’ he said

‘’I don’t know, he seems down?’’ the waiter shrugs his shoulder,

The cashier makes a face and boring a hole on Hyukjae’s back ‘’wonder there’s still people who drink milkshake around this time, doesn’t he feels cold?’’ He talks to himself

‘’aish, said the one who’s saying, you just finish two bowl of ice cream just now. Do your work Yongguk hyung, and don’t forget to pay the ice-cream you ate, you owe the cafe some money’’

 

-

 

‘’Boa-shii?’’ Hyukjae call the only person he sees in the class, he frown as the class seems deserted unlike usual.

‘’oh! You… that.. a...-‘’

‘’It’s Hyukjae’’

‘’Yeah! Hyukjae! Oh well, I just got the news that professor was admitted to the hospital! The class today is cancelled. But there will be substitute teacher tomorrow and by then the class will continue as usual’’ she speak as she can read Hyukjae’s mind and Hyukjae nods his head.

Hyukjae shakes his head slowly, ‘’how come I forgot about that?’’ he mutters under his breath

‘’Oh by the way! There’s this person from law faculty searching for you. What his name again? Uh, dong… Dongyup?’’

‘’oh-uh, it’s must be Donghae…’’ Hyukjae correct it ‘’and Dongyup is the sport teacher..’’ he adds the last sentence silently.

 

-

 

Siwon jogs a little to catch up with the brunette just in front of him ‘’Donghae!’’ he shouts to catch the brunette attention. Donghae turns his head toward the panting younger and raise an eyebrow, ‘’what is it?’’ he asked

‘’phew~ I just want to ask if you already got the internship or not?’’ Donghae now gives his full attention and nods his head ‘’I got it just now, Kim give the files for me to review and he said he put me under Detective Park’’ he state the fact and show the files in his hand and Siwon nods his head slightly ‘’really? So are you heading to the police station now or-‘’

‘’I’m going to the headquarter actually, the sergeant already give me a call’’, Siwon’s mouth form an ‘o’ and he nods his head before he reply ‘’I got promoted under Detective Hwang and it seems we are going to report our self today’’ he grins

Donghae widens his eyes ‘’we?’’ Siwon grins more that Donghae think if it’s possible. ‘’yeah! I’m going to the headquarter too! But too bad isn’t? We are not a team?’’

‘’actually I feel glad’’

‘’hey!’’

‘’anyway I’m going now. See you later’’ Donghae was about to walk away when Siwon held his wrist ‘’what?!’’ he spat and take a step back the next second. Siwon make this suppose-to-be-puppy-eyes and Donghae swear he’s going to kick this person on the face the next time he see Siwon try to do it again because, it seems so… gross.

‘’stop making that face before I kick you for real’’

‘’aish’’ Siwon pouts and Donghae kick him on the shin

‘’what the-?! Owww! Oww!!’’  He jumps and held the pillar using one hand while another rubbing the hurt spot ‘’what did I do?!’’

‘’did you see your face just now? Gosh’’

‘’aish! Whatever! Give me a ride please! My car run out of fuel!’’

‘’Tch.  Again? What a pain in ’’ Donghae shakes his head

‘’oh yeah! Sure it is a pain in the since you happened to go around the town yesterday USING MY CAR!’’ Siwon said hysterically with hands on his waist, eyes big, mind you.

‘’oh… that..’’

 

-

 

Hyukjae park his bicycle aside and bring the roses bouquet with a small smile tugging on his lips. Slowly he walk toward the cemetery, legs walking on his own as he remember a certain grave by heart. He stops and kneeled in front of it and found another bouquet of roses beside the thumb stone. It must be from Sungmin, Hyukjae know it.

‘’hello’’ he said as he put the bouquet he hold on the other side of the grave ‘’I’m sorry I didn’t get to meet you these day, the semester had started and I kind of have my schedule pack’’ Hyukjae cleans around the grave a little with a small smile never leaving his face ‘’are you lonely? I’m going to accompany you for a while here, don’t have class today’’ Hyukjae finally sit on the soft grass.

Hyukjae take off his long jacket and put it aside, as well as his glasses leaving him in a white t-shirt and a dark jean. He has his jet black hair lying messily on his forehead as he runs one hand on his hair. There was no one in the cemetery other than him and the air is quite chilling but he feels comfortable at the moment.

 He just wants to be alone, talking to the air. He believes the person on the other side can hear him. He doesn’t need any reply. He just wants to be heard. That is what one sided chat supposed to be anyway.

‘’you have meet Sungmin right? He come here before’’ Hyukjae said as his eyes starring on the thumb stone.

‘’I miss you’’ Hyukjae closes his eyes

The breeze hits his body softly makes his bangs waves softly as if the person on the other side trying to communicate to him. He chuckles at the thought and shakes his head. This is reality, there’s no way for him to receive any reply from the other. He opens again his eyes and let out a thin smile.

He has let go of this person and he has accept the truth. He keeps the memory in his heart and he has his mind on the positive state. He chuckles again. The person he dear like his own sister. Only with this person he can be the true him, like what he was before the accident happened.

Hyukjae without the thick glasses.

Hyukjae without the ugly jacket.

Just Hyukjae.

‘’I really miss you. Hyoyeon.’’

Kim Hyoyeon
1995 – 2007

 

 

-

 

‘’So you are Donghae?’’ The detective smile and extend his hand to have a handshake.

Donghae give a confident smile and shakes their hand together ‘’yes detective park’’

Donghae was nervous as he enters the headquarter and Siwon too didn’t say a word. Both were tensed before the meeting with the superintendent. God know how much they thank heaven for the smooth meeting and procedures.

‘’ahh… just call me Leeteuk hyung. We are going to work together anyway, and I hate being awkward. What with that face? Confused why you have to call me Leeteuk instead of Jungsoo?’’ the older smile and claps his hand together

This person probably talks a lot, Donghae thought. ‘’err... yeah. Why?’’

‘’well, since I’m one of the tops detective here and the case I handle is always a success mission, I guess I’m just that special isn’t? Hah! Do you wants to know how i manage to solve them all?’’ Donghae wonder if he see the sparks when he see the older eyes or it was just the reflect from the light

‘’err... How you manage to, detective? I mean, Leeteuk hyung’’ Donghae bite back his sarcastic remarks and ask as he smile awkwardly

Leeteuk turn his body to Donghae and smirks ‘’ckckck, you have to born with it~’’ he said with his index finger pointing toward Donghae.

Well, sure this person talks a lot. Not to mention the prince disease he has. Donghae wonder what mistake he has done in his past life and why Siwon is not the one who gets to be under this person.

 

-

 

After receiving the instruction, Donghae glance on his watch, it is 12:30PM. He still didn’t forget the lunch he plans though. He thought about giving Hyukjae a message later, as if it on que, Leeteuk call for him and tell him to view a case tomorrow with Donghae reply with a ‘’yes’’ . As both of them getting out from Leeteuk office, accidently Leeteuk push the door too hard and knock the person on the other side. Leeteuk let out a high pitch gasp and help the person to stand up. ‘’my. My I’m so sorry Yunho! ‘’ he said

‘’aish, hyung! Be careful! See!’’ Yunho whines and look at the files on the floor, there are at least eight files and some of the papers fell out of the file.

Donghae crouch down and help Yunho collect the papers. He frowns as he sees a document. It has the ‘case closed’ mark on top of it and a photo of a girl is clipped at the side. The photo seems old and not as clear as it used to be.

‘’Kim hyo-‘’

‘’come on Donghae!’’ Leeteuk call

‘’thanks’’ Yunho said and takes the document from his hand

‘’what are you doing with the files anyway?’’ Leeteuk ask at the tall latter and frown

‘’well, since these case in the documents are all closed and it is all over 5 years of case, I’m moving them to another section’’ Leeteuk mouth form an ‘o’ and not long after that, they parted to their own destination and Donghae shrugs his shoulder, forget about the document he held before. The case was closed anyway.

 

-

 

Hyukjae was walking beside his bicycle near the field when suddenly he heard a soft honk from behind. Donghae stop at the side and move out of the vehicle.

‘’hey... hi’’ Donghae greet him first. ‘’hey… h-hello..’’ Donghae chuckles at him for his cute greeting. Hyukjae still has his eyes blinking few times and his mouth agape like a fish, very much showed that he was really surprise by the brunette present there.

Donghae found himself stared at his face quite a while before speak ‘’a-are you okay?’’ the question seems to startled Hyukjae even more because the latter widens his eyes and his face flushed a bit.

‘’sure I’m okay! Why?’’

‘’oh well, umm... I was thinking about texting you earlier..’’ hiding the fact he wants to ask Hyukjae if something goes wrong, Donghae thought he see Hyukjae eyes a bit swollen. Has he been crying before? Donghae will keep the question for later.

‘’texting me?’’ Hyukjae look at Donghae curiously makes the brunette chuckle, ‘’umm... I texted you last night... want to have lunch with me?’’ Hyukjae widens his eyes and Donghae barely can contain his laugh now ‘’what? Is there’s something on my face?’’ Hyukjae ask silently but still can be heard.

‘’nah, your face just fine. So want to have lunch?’’ he asks again

‘’sure do. But my bicycle…’’ Donghae look at the bicycle thoroughly and found the front tyre is flat ‘’uh, what happened there?’’ he crouches down and pinches the tyre using his finger ‘’well, i guess there was something stuck in there, nails or something…’’ Hyukjae let out a sigh and look at his bicycle sadly; however it didn’t go unnoticed by Donghae. Donghae look at the bicycle again before he looks at his car.

‘’say, lets ride my car and I’ll bring your bicycle to get it repaired after we have lunch. We can place your bicycle at the back seat. I think it will fit since your bicycle is not that big’’

 

-

 

Donghae and Hyukjae was about to get out of the restaurant when they bump on Yujin, Julian ex-boyfriend. ‘’hey’’ Jihyun greet them much to Donghae surprise, ‘’hey’’ Donghae reply him.

‘’alone?’’ Donghae ask

‘’and I see you are with your…’’ Jihyun look at Hyukjae, and Hyukjae stared back blankly

‘’partner. He is my partner’’ Donghae said confidently as he bring his left hand and put it on Hyukjae shoulder

‘’oh wow? I don’t know you swing that way’’ Jihyun chuckles

‘’there’s no need to tell the world I guess?’’ Donghae chuckles

Hyukjae was confused and it takes him few minutes to realize what is happening with the conservation, he look at Donghae with his eyes wide open. Donghae gulps and give him a look. Hyukjae decide to stay quiet and ask him latter. Partner?

‘’how did it go with Julian?’’ Donghae ask even though he’s quite sure the girl should be still with Alex now.

‘’that ? Of we broke it off. The only thing I regret is she is the one who bump me first before I could bump her’’ Jihyun shrugs anyway

It’s weird that they are talking about that matter consider that Donghae and Jihyun is almost an enemy, for god sake Jihyun is the reason why he broke up with Julian at the first place. ‘’whoa wait. What was that supposed to mean?’’ Donghae frown deeply and the other guy sigh

‘’look I’m sorry ‘kay, I know I’m the one who cause your breakup with Julian. But I think I did good though’’ Jihyun smile

‘’wait what?’’ Donghae was too absurd by Jihyun sentence that he almost forget Hyukjae was still beside him

‘’basically just aim for money and apparently Alex’s family own a company in China, not to mention he’s a foreign’’

‘’excuse me, I know her more than you and I’ve date here for years, I know she can be sassy but she’s not that kind of person!’’

‘’hah. Believe what you want, I just told you what I know. Anyway, I don’t think you know her that much though’’

Jihyun get in the restaurant leaving Donghae and Hyukjae outside.

‘’damn, what was that?’’ Donghae shakes his head and find Hyukjae still standing beside him, kicking some small stone with his sneakers.

‘’umm... let’s go? I’m sorry about that. .’’ Donghae state

 

-

 

 ‘’heol, sorry I kind of late, the queue is quiet long since it is lunch hour’ ’Donghae give Hyukjae an apologetic smile, as he put down they tray on the table. ‘’I told you I can take my own order…’’ Hyukjae said quietly. ‘’it’s not like its hurt me anywhere to help you take the foods isn’t? It’s just nothing, are you feeling better now?’’

They are sitting at the very end of the restaurant where they feel a little bit quiet. ‘’umm? What do you mean?’’ Hyukjae ask. Donghae scratch his nape and look at Hyukjae directly in eyes ‘’I didn’t mean to interference, but you seems quiet down earlier? And your eyes seem kind of swollen. Were you crying?’’ Donghae ask sincerely, he doesn’t understand himself why he is so concern about this matter.

‘’I think I’m just tired’’ Hyukjae reply softly. Tired, he repeats again in his mind. ‘’I hope, you’ll be okay though’’ Donghae said and they are quiet for less than 10 second before Donghae declare that they should be digging on their food when he heard Hyukjae’s stomach start to growl. Both of them laugh at the situation.

‘’you don’t have class today?’’ Hyukjae ask, Donghae shakes his head and smile ‘’I receive an internship today! And I’ll start to work on a case tomorrow. Feeling kind of nervous honestly’’ Hyukjae nods his head and smile ‘’congratulation for getting in the internship! Ahh… mine going to take a long time I guess... I don’t know’’

‘’doctor to be?’’

‘’yeah, the mock exam will be in few months. And the stress is seriously getting on my nerve’’ Hyukjae said as he stab the chicken using the fork, Donghae chuckle again, ‘’you sure like to make faces are you?’’ he raise his eyebrow teasingly

Hyukjae pouts and frown ‘’did i?’’

Donghae nods and smile ‘’yes you are!’’ and frown suddenly ‘’which remind me of someone…’’

‘’someone? Who?’’ Hyukjae ask as he sip his strawberry milkshake

‘’hmm…well don’t know! Let’s eat, and I’ll help you with the bicycle later’’

 

-

 

‘’how dare you Donghae? Leaving me behind like this? We go together so don’t you think we should go back together?! I’m seriously going to boycott you for a week now!’’ Siwon sulk and keep blabbering as he looks at the road outside. Apparently he didn’t slow down his voice as he talks alone. The people at the back of the bus start too stared at him weirdly.

 

-

 

‘’I almost forgot to ask you’’ Donghae said after taking some sip of his drink

Hyukjae look up and ask ‘’what is it?’’

‘’do you want to go on a party tonight? With me?’’ he ask

‘’…pardon’’

‘’uh’’ Donghae scratch his nape nervously ‘’umm... there will be a party at my friend house tonight. So, I just want to bring you with me, well, if you are busy I understand Hahaha’’ Donghae look at him to see his reaction

‘’I don’t know… I don’t always go out…’’ Hyukjae said silently

‘’ahh... well, I don’t think I’m going to the party then’’

‘’why not?’’ Hyukjae ask, surprise by what Donghae had said

‘’it will bore be to death if I go alone’’ Donghae chuckles

‘’Excuse me, I’ll be back in few minutes’’ Said Hyukjae before he stands up and walks to the toilet

Finding the draft in the phone is not hard. He since doesn’t always have a lot of message either. Hyukjae scrolls down the screen and click on the certain message file.

You can try Hyukjae, mix with people outside a little bit. I know you will be fine! Believe me! You have improved a lot! Come on, I know you are not anti-social. –Sigh- not everyone are bad person, gain some confident okay! You know it yourself that your mind are stable now. Give some chance to yourself, hah you might as well find someone you will love all your life! Hahaha


Donghae chokes his own food when Hyukjae said he will come to the party with him tonight.

 

-

 


‘’Stupid Hyukjae’’ Hyukjae said as he takes a seat at the bus stop. His neck hurts for holding some heavy sobs. ‘’don’t cry’’ he said to himself ‘’it’s your own fault that you want to come!’’ he scolds himself again. The chill night makes him shivers but never calms him down.

When there were just in front of the gate, Hyukjae takes a step back. He feels nervous when he heard a lot of cheers from inside. But a warm hand suddenly holds him tight and with a reassure smile Donghae gave, both of them get in with a hope to at least enjoy the party.

‘’Oh gosh I don’t know you are gay!’’ Julian said a little bit laud than usual making the people around turns their head and look at them. Judging them. ‘’gosh, I thought you actually are descend to find someone to replace me but... look at him! Eww…’’

‘’Julian’’ Donghae said darkly ‘’stop saying something like that to him. He is way better than you’’

‘’way better than me? Are you high? Or you probably takes drugs Donghae?’’

‘’What-‘’

‘’what do you mean better! Look at his clothes! Oh my god his glasses! You are embarrassing me by taking him to my party Donghae! Gosh, did he have a mental problem or what-‘’

‘’Julian!’’

‘’at least if he is mentally healthy, he wouldn’t dress like that or even choose to come here to this party. Donghae, I don’t know you are this desperate!’’

Enough for Hyukjae to hear all of that, he leaves the party and Donghae behind and start running to the bus stop.
 

-

 

‘’mental problem huh? What do you know about me!’’ Hyukjae storms his feet on the ground.

As if it on cue, suddenly there is a honk and Hyukjae slowly look up. There is a car and Hyukjae frowns gets deeper. The car window slowly setting down and Hyukjae widens his eyes for nth times for today.

‘’Hyukjae, get in. It’s going to rain soon’’

‘’…Zhoumi?’’

The car was already halfway when a figure reaches the bus stop.

‘’Hyukjae!!’’ Donghae shout, but to no avail Hyukjae don’t hear it

-

‘’Are you alright?’’

‘’Uh... yeah’’

‘’Umm, I was on the way home from the hospital. Dad condition is gradually getting better but he will have to get a full check-up’s and rest…’’

‘’ohh… really?’’ Hyukjae reply silently

‘’um… there will be substitute professor starting tomorrow....’’ Zhoumi takes a glance to the passenger seat

‘’ohh… really?’’

‘’yeah… um, thanks again Hyukjae’’

‘’ah no- you are welcome’’

 

-

 

‘’I guess I’ll see you around then’’ Zhoumi said as he drop Hyukjae in front of the tall building

‘’yeah... see ya’’ Hyukjae said and walks away after he thanked Zhoumi for the ride

‘’I think I have to do something with that guy outfit. He is a good guy but a fashion terrorist seriously. But why he gives out such a dark aura today? He's too passive unlike the other day. And.. gosh he lives here? This place is expensive though…’’ Zhoumi starts driving with his mind never stops wandering about the bespectacled guy.

 

-

 

‘’I ed up’’ Hyukjae mutters under his breath when he see a figure beside the registrations table at the ground floor. He looks at his watch and it shows -9:24 PM-

‘’oh no... Sungmin’’

The Blondie look up and meet Hyukjae eyes. Sungmin doesn’t look pleased of course and Hyukjae slowly tried to get him

‘’Sungmin’’

‘’I thought you at least feels excited to meet me though’’

‘’no! I’m sorry... I’m-‘’

‘’let’s meet the other day. I’m too tired to even look at you now’’ Sungmin starts to walk but Hyukjae stops him by grabbing his wrist

‘’Sungmin I’m really sorry, I didn’t-‘’

‘’talk next time, you just missed your chance’’ Sungmin swing his hand and get out from the front door leaving Hyukjae completely dumbfounded

‘’are… you okay?’’ One of the registration staff ask Hyukjae with a worried eyes

Hyukjae takes a breath and give the worker a small smile before muttering a silent ‘yes’. Slowly he gets in the lift toward his apartment, soullessly.

 

-

 

‘’I ed up’’ Hyukjae mutters under his breath again for nth times, tears threatening to fall from his eyes. He opens the door and enters the house.

‘’Did I not switched off the light?’’ he ask himself. Suddenly Hyukjae heard something from the kitchen and he widens his eyes, ‘’it won’t be a thief right…’’

Slowly he enters the kitchen and find someone scouting and feeding Choco on the floor.

‘’what-’’

‘’oh! You really took so long to get home are you?’’

‘’When-‘’

‘’2 hours ago’’

‘’how-’’

‘’I look up your address at the information in fb’’

‘’But-‘’

‘’Oh well, thank god you didn’t lock the door. Are you always like that? That is dangerous!’’

‘’kibum…’’ hyuk mutters. And the latter in front of him smile.

Kibum is there.

Kibum is there.

He is there.

‘’hyuk, you are bad person, leaving Choco alone without giving him his food-‘’

Kibum speech come to halt, startled for a second. He hardly catches his breath since hyuk is hugging him a little bit too tight.

He wants to throw hyuk’s hands away since it was embarrassing that hyuk drown his face at the crook of Kibum’s neck.

But instead of doing so, kibum lift a hand and make a circle on Hyukjae back.

Never mind the way they are hugging is embarrassing

Never mind he barely catch a breath now.

Never mind Hyukjae is sobbing hardly without making a sound.

Kibum doesn’t mind that.

Not at all.

Because this time, he is here.

He is here for real when Hyukjae need him the most.

Kibum knows he make a right choice to come here and he feel….glad.

Kibum tighten his hold and speak with a very soft tone.

‘’tell me… who hurts you Hyukjae’’

They stay like that for a long time that night.

 

______________________________

 

100+ Subs already, guys let me hugs you

ILY <3