Chapter Six

Her Confession, His Confession
It was early in the morning when my phone rang, waking me up. I scrambled for the device that sat by my pillow, hoping it was a call from Hyo Jung. She hadn't let me take her home last night. She refused to even talk to me as we walked out of Lotte World. But all I wanted to say was, "It's not my fault! It's—"
 
Wu Yifan
 
My head fell back onto my pillow. I did not want to talk to him right now. But if not now, then when?
 
Later, I hoped. Much later.
 
My hand came up to rub my temples as I held the phone up to my ear. "What?" I groaned into the receiver, hoping he would hear what I felt at the moment.
 
"Good morning," he replied after a moment. His voice was hesitant, just as it should've been. It definitely wasn't a good morning especially since it was so early.
 
I sighed and rolled onto my side. I didn't have the strength or the heart to be mad at him. "Is there something you need?"
 
Ugh, I didn't have to make it sound so inviting.
 
"Yeah, actually...umm..." he started but his voice trailed off as if he was biting his lips. I nearly threw my phone across the room. I didn't think he would actually need something when I had asked; it was meant to be a rhetorical question. "Would you mind meeting me at Starbucks at noon?"
 
Was this a date? Please don't let this be a date. Please tell me he's not serious. "Coffee for lunch?" I asked tentatively.
 
He stayed quiet for a little while, as if thinking things over. "If you don't find it too much trouble, we could go earlier."
 
I tried not to roll my eyes. "What do you need to tell me that you can't tell me right now?"
 
"Please, Yeon Mi. I just want to apologize in person."
 
I looked to my clock and realized it was already 9:30. I guess it wasn't that early in the morning after all. "Fine, I'll meet you at Starbucks in half an hour."
 
"Okay, thank you." There was a momentary pause as he waited for me to reply. When I didn't, he decided to say his farewells. "See you then, Yeon Mi. Bye." The call ended abruptly and I threw my phone against the headboard as I stretched.
 
I wasn't going to look forward to this day.
 
My ringtone went off again and I covered my face in frustration. Did he really have more to tell me?
 
"Hyo Jung!" I said as I rolled over and saw her name on my phone. I picked up the call and started blabbering. "Hyo Jung! I was so worried about you! How are you feeling? I'm really sorry for what happened yesterday and, honestly, I feel like such a ty friend but I swear to God, I don't have feelings for him. Please tell me you're not mad at me!"
 
I heard a tired laugh on the other end. "I see you're up."
 
"Yeah, I got up just a few minutes ago." And it wasn't voluntary either, but I left that part out. "Why? Do you want me to come over or something?"
 
She sighed and I wanted to run over to her house and give her loads of ice cream to feast on. "I cried a lot last night but I really wanted to just talk to you. I'm sorry for telling you to go home but can we meet up later today?"
 
"Sure, where?"
 
"I feel like having donuts."
 
I shrugged, not objecting to the amount of junk food I was going to be consuming. "Sounds good. How about in an hour?"
 
"I'm fine with that but will you be on time?" she asked with a little teasing in her voice. She knew how long I could take in the mornings.
 
"Yeah, it's not a special day today. I can make it."
 
It wasn't until we finished the call that I realized how well I had planned the day. Even if Yifan had wanted to prolong our meeting at Starbucks, he wouldn't be able to because Hyo Jung and I would be eating donuts later. And if I arrived late to the coffee store, I could shorten the meeting even more.
 
I took a deep breath, hoping the day would go smoothly. There was no point in delaying the inevitable, I thought as I climbed out of bed.
 
---
 
i really wanna thank you guys for all your kind comments. i've had a bad week and i'm so glad it's over and i can come back to this. thank you for staying with me even when i'm really bad at updating (: