Chapter Four

Her Confession, His Confession
I was exhausted. It was late at night and most of the park was empty. We were the only group walking around between the scattered couples smooching on the benches.

Seeing them made my mood deflate even further. I couldn't decide if I was supposed to help Hyo Jung or not. She walked at the back with me and we hadn't talked much, mostly because of me.

I didn't want to tell her that Yifan liked another girl nor did I want to let her know that I was going on the Ferris wheel with him. She'd kill me even if I did try to explain to her that Yifan and I shared no feelings for each other.

I grumbled under my breath. If only I could get Hyo Jung on the Ferris wheel instead of me.

"Is something the matter?" she nudged my arm and I realized I'd been too loud and obvious with my disgruntled thinking.

I rose my hands up and shook my head. "Nothing! I'm just a little tired."

She directed her plastic fan at me and gave me a little breeze. "Should I ask the guys to go home? There isn't much left anyway."

I looked ahead and saw the group of guys still hollering and laughing amongst themselves. The only guy that seemed calm was Yifan, trailing at the back. "We can't go home yet. You still haven't confessed."

My friend looked to the ground and fixed the strap of her bag that was slipping off her shoulder. "I don't think today's the right day."

"What?"

She shrugged. "He hasn't talked to me at all."

"That doesn't mean anything," I reassured her and grabbed her arm. "C'mon, let's go."

I pulled her up to where Yifan walked and gave her a thumbs-up before running up to the rest of the guys. I kept an eye behind me and bit my lip nervously. Hyo Jung was blushing like mad already and her hands couldn't even open her bag properly.

Yixing appeared beside at my side and leaned towards me. "Hey, is Hyo Jung still thinking of...you know..." he whispered cautiously.

I crossed my arms and nodded. "Yeah, she's doing it right now," I replied just as quietly. "You didn't tell him about it, did you?"

Yixing's mouth was left open as he looked around anxiously. "Well, not me but..."

I slapped his arm, making him wince. "Who told?" My voice rose but I looked around and none of the other guys had noticed.

"Tao," he answered after rubbing his arm. "But it was an accident!"

I was furious now. No wonder Yifan wouldn't talk to Hyo Jung the whole day. I glared at the dark sky, mumbling a few curse words before I felt a tap on my shoulder.

"Hey, Yeon Mi, you remember our promise right?" I looked behind me and saw Yifan pushing in between Yixing and me.

My eyebrows rose up in surprise and I stuck my head out to look for Hyo Jung. She was trying to catch up with us.

"Yifan, I—" Hyo Jung began but she was interrupted again.

"You're not going to break the promise, are you?" Yifan held out his pinky for emphasis and his eyes stayed on my face, not noticing the girl behind him.

I noticed my best friend try one last time. "Yifan—"

But again, Yifan cut in. He waved a hand in my face. "Yeon Mi? Can you hear me?"

My eyes were about to pop out of their sockets. He was blatantly ignoring her! "Yeah, I heard you." I pushed him out of the way and grabbed Hyo Jung's wrist. "We're going to the washroom."

I pulled my friend behind me and raced ahead of the boys to the washroom. Along the way, I saw the big Ferris wheel that slowly spun around and around. There was barely a line in front of it and I began thinking of a way to get Yifan up to the top and then push him off.

"What a jerk!" I screeched when we reached the safety of the restroom.

Hyo Jung looked like she was ready to cry as she leaned against the counter. Her hands cradled the card and box of chocolates. "No, he isn't," she squeaked.

I almost pulled my hair out. "I'm telling you, Hyo Jung, you need to find another guy!"

She shook her head defiantly before setting her things on the counter and turning on the tap. "No," she said before splashing some water on her face. When she stood back up, her eyes were no longer red. "Until I hear a no from him, I'm not giving up."

"But..."

She grabbed a towel to pat her face dry. "I've spent way too much time on him to just get an indefinite answer. I have to confess to him face-to-face."

I almost collapsed to the ground out of surprise. Why couldn't she get this kind of courage in the beginning of the day?

Hyo Jung came over to give me a hug. "Thank you for everything, though. I'm sorry I dragged you through all this. You should go enjoy some rides before we leave."

Without another word, Hyo Jung grabbed her things and ran out of the restroom. I groaned and ran after her because what else could I do? Stand there with an exasperated expression on my face?

Actually, I could stay in one of the stalls and hide forever. I didn't want to hear my friend cry for the next three days, nor did I want to feel the second-hand embarrassment from her.

I looked around as I ran but it was harder to find the crowd of boys than I thought. Luckily, I noticed Yifan's tall frame as I passed the Ferris wheel. In front of him was Hyo Jung and this time, she was a lot more confident.

I was happy that she had managed to get him alone but wasn't this a little late?

Hiding behind one of the fake trees, I tried listening in on their conversation but I was too far. Judging from Hyo Jung's stance though, she was right about to give Yifan the chocolates.

And that was when everything came crashing down.

Out of nowhere, Yifan noticed me. Me. Why me? Why couldn't he keep his attention on the girl standing right in front of him, looking up at him with those big eyes of hers.
 
But his feet were already jogging over to me.
 
He gave me an apologetic smile as he grabbed my hand and yanked me out from my hiding spot. We ran past Hyo Jung who stood there, staring at us with no emotion in her eyes. I tried to reach my hand out to her and yell her name but Yifan dragged me faster and faster away from her.

I screamed at him to stop and tried squirming to free my hand but he held a firm grip. We ran up the steps to the Ferris wheel, where I nearly tripped, and he dumped me on the seat beside him as the operator closed the door.

For a second, I sat there, panting and trying to figure out my thoughts. But as the ride began moving, I shot up in my seat.

"What the hell, Wu Yifan?" I screamed so loud that I would bet the entire park had heard me.
 
---
 
personally, i don't think any of us would mind being dragged away by him heh............