Upon Reevaluation, The Plan Has Been Determined To Be Unsatisfactory

Dreams Don't Turn to Dust

     Ji Suk sighed and reached across his desk to scoop up the manila folder Bi Dul had left there. Flipping listlessly through the papers, he skimmed the names and faces of every employee currently in the Nalgae company's records; Youngjae's name was- as the Pigeon had pointed out- not mentioned a single time. After scanning through a couple dozen pages, Ji Suk snapped the folder shut. Three months since his nephew's arrival at Nalgae, and Ji Suk had never once considered the fact that Youngjae had never been officially employed by the company. Rather, he had become some sort of a joke amongst the board members after Bi Dul raised this issue in the latest company meeting.

     It had been a mistake caused, and worsened, by his foolhardiness.

     "Mr. Yoo has zero experience when it comes to the publishing business. He has never worked for a publishing company, and, in fact, is not even currently employed by the Nalgae company. As such, I would like to suggest we cease this nonsense about who is to succeed Mr. Kang after his retirement, and focus on-"

     "Youngjae is my nephew. Regardless of his former employment, he has every right to inherit this company," Ji Suk interrupted, drawing his fair share of raised eyebrows from the board members. "My father intended for the Nalgae company to be run by his descendants."

     "Your father, like yourself, was a sentimental fool consumed by old-fashioned ideas. If you weren't so blinded by Mr. Yoo's shared blood, you would have turned him away from the company months ago- if not sooner. I believe I speak on behalf of the board when I say that we do not wish to run the Nalgae company into the ground because of your desire to keep things in an already ill-reputed family."

     Ji Suk slammed the folder onto his desk and glared sullenly at nothing in particular. Not only had his insufferable COO made him look like a fool in front of the entire board, but he had exposed a very large flaw in Ji Suk's plans. "The son of a-"

     "Mr. Kang? Your nephew is here to see you." Ms. Nan's voice brought the intercom to life and interrupted Ji Suk. Letting out a low hiss through his teeth, he shoved his thumb down on the call button. There was no need, however, as Youngjae was already on his way through the door. Glancing up at his nephew, Ji Suk quickly sorted his facial features into their proper places. He didn't want to show weakness in front of his nephew.

     "Sir," Youngjae greeted, reaching over to shake his uncle's hand, "I received your message and came over as quickly as I could." Technically, the voice mail had been from Ms. Nan, who very politely informed Youngjae that his presence was requested at the Nalgae building, but Youngjae didn't fault his uncle for using his secretary to get into contact with his nephew. After all, in the world of business, family didn't exist until allies were needed and, even then, the connecting blood lines were often blurred.

     Not that he necessarily blamed his uncle for the flippant way he regarded family. After all, he had been raised by a man who broke all ties with his son in order to preserve his company; who didn't bat an eye- at least publicly- when that same son consequently committed suicide. Youngjae's grandfather had prioritized his career over his family, and taught his son to follow the same philosophy. And Ji Suk had learned his lesson well. Looking around the office, Youngjae couldn't see a single picture of the man who had started this so-called "family business". Ji Suk was no the sentimental type, and had kept no reminders of the man who had not only raised him, but had given him an empire.

     Sitting down across from his uncle, Youngjae resolved to try and change the family tradition of ignoring everything other than the call of money.

     "Coffee? Tea?" Gesturing for Ms. Nan to join them, Ji Suk turned to his nephew and raised an eyebrow.

     "I'm fine, thank y-"

     "I would be glad to accept an Americano, though!" Youngjae stiffened in his seat as the unexpected voice of Himchan burst into the office. Standing beside his uncle, Ms. Nan did her best of stifle a giggle with her hand while bowing in greeting to Himchan. "Ms. Nan," he greeted in response before standing at attention just to the side of the seat beside Youngjae. "Mr. Kang, sir, it's a pleasure to see you," he took a moment to bow deeply to Ji Suk- who tipped his head in return and fought back a smile- then turned to Youngjae, "and Mr. Yoo, I'm glad that we'll finally be working together." Youngjae was only thrown off for a moment by Himchan's peculiar greeting before he gathered himself and jumped to his feet, extending his hand to Himchan.

     "Kim Himchan, I will murder you with a stapler if you so much as think about setting foot in my department." Twisting in his seat, Youngjae couldn't tell if he should take the threat seriously or if it was meant to be a joke among friends- the man's voice would suggest the latter, but the murderous glare he was shooting at Himchan gave credibility to the former. Either way, Youngjae hurried through his handshake with Himchan so that he would be prepared to properly greet the unknown man that had joined them in the office. Himchan, on the other hand, was unafraid, and rather than keeping his distance, he sauntered toward the man with a grin on his face.

     "Always the joker, Hwan Jin," his voice took on a sing-song quality as he patted Hwan Jin on the shoulder. "You and I both know how difficult it is for the Marketing Department to keep their office well supplied. There probably isn't a single staple-filled stapler on the entire floor." Glancing over his shoulder at the company's CEO, Himchan raised one eyebrow, showing that behind the banter and jokes, he was trying to make a point. Taking the hint, Ji Suk leaned toward Ms. Nan and whispered something about getting into contact with the company's janitorial services.

     "Doesn't matter. Bludgeoning you to death would be quicker, anyway." Still speaking matter-of-factly, Hwan Jin brushed Himchan's hand off his shoulder. "Now, I believe Mr. Kang has something he wishes to discuss with us." From the way he addressed Ji Suk, it was apparent Hwan Jin had already been informed of why he had been asked to attend this impromptu meeting; Himchan, too, had a knowing smile on his face, and was continuously glancing at Youngjae from the corner of his eye.

     After waiting for Ms. Nan to leave the room, Ji Suk forwent asking the men to sit- there weren't enough seats, and he didn't wish to wait around while they debated on who should be given the privilege of being seated- and began addressing the situation. "It has been called to my attention that Youngjae is not currently employed under the Nalgae company, and that the board finds this to be an important step in his ascension to the position of CEO." Hwan Jin let out a quiet sigh, much to Himchan's amusement. "As I have already informally placed Youngjae in charge of Ms. Kang Kae Yeon's promotions, I believe it would be appropriate to employ him in the Marketing Department. Unless, of course, you have any objections, Mr. Go." It was easy to tell that there was no point in objecting to Youngjae being employed under him; Ji Suk had made up his mind on the matter, and nothing was going to change it.

     "None." As he spoke, Hwan Jin glanced over at Youngjae and let out another sigh. There were, apparently, a few unspoken complaints.

     "It will also be important for Youngjae, as future CEO-" Youngjae frowned. Since when had his uncle gotten it into his head that Youngjae was guaranteed the position?- "to learn how all the company's departments work. Though he will officially be employed under Mr. Go, I would like for him to experience every aspect of the company." Ji Suk paused for a moment to take a breath, allowing Himchan a moment to jump in.

     "Mr. Kang has asked me to take the first shift, seeing as you already have some experience with the editorial department." Behind them, the office door opened and Ms. Nan- holding two steaming mugs- let herself into the room. Grinning, Himchan accepted the drink she extended to him and took a sip. "So, if you will follow me, I'll show you around the department and then you to Hwan Jin's office-"

     "No, you will not. I'll follow you two around until you're done with your little tour, then show Youngjae to the Marketing floor myself. Unless you find pain to be... stimulating." Ms. Nan colored noticeably, but attempted to hide it by suddenly becoming very interested in straightening a shelf of books. "Wouldn't surprise me, considering what kind of a woman you're going after-"

     "Gentlemen," Ji Suk spoke up after clearing his throat. Instantly, both department heads straightened their backs and faced the company's CEO. Following suit, Youngjae glanced at the men on either side of him and noticed that both were attempting to hide smirks. He hadn't imagined that there were very many people like Himchan- men and women willing to throw caution to the wind, even when in circumstances that most people would take extra care to tread delicately through.

     "I appreciate your support, as, I'm sure, does my nephew." Youngjae nodded. "Thank you," Ji Suk concluded dismissively. Without any futher comments, Hwan Jin and Himchan turned and made their way out the door, followed by a still-blushing Ms. Nan. Turning to take up the rear, Youngjae was already on his way out the door when Ji Suk added a final thought. "The position is paying, Youngjae. The money isn't the reason I decided to employ you, but... well, the thought had crossed my mind. I apologize for not being able to do more."

     Nodding, Youngjae closed the door behind him.

 


Author's Note:

I'm back! After three looong weeks, I'm back! ^-^  The chapter might not be very good, but I'm not sure I can do much better- I got out of practice during my absence.

And, though this doesn't have anything to do with DDTTD, I was wondering if anyone happened to read any EXO fanfics and knew how the members are typically portrayed. I've begun planning out my next story, but don't really know what roles to assign the members. I have Kai as a dance instructor (I've also found roles for Tao and Lay), but I want- well, more like need- to use all the members. Any suggestions?

((Also, please keep the families of the Sewol ferry victims in your hearts and prayers. I know that there are several B.A.P fangroups gathering money to donate, but, unfortunately, the one I was keeping track of has finished collecting donations. I'm sure other fanbases are helping as well, so try to keep your eye out for them and, if you can't donate, try and spread the word around ^-^ ))