Ga Eun Imnida

Under Your Spotlight

You headed towards SME building the next day with the help of a cab. You had put in extra effort to look presentable, dressing yourself nicely and neatly, hoping to create a good impression. Of course, you had ensured that the clothes were comfortable and convenient enough if there was a need to dance. 

When you entered the building, a young lady at the desk greeted you. You were prepared for a language barrier so you bowed a 90 degree bow and greeted her (just like you learnt from the variety shows you often watched) and showed her the name card you were given. She then smiled and nodded her head, with an expression which shows like she seemed she understood, and had you follow her as she guided you elsewhere. 

You walked past people who looked like trainees and managers and you constantly bowed, trying to be politely and not wanting to offend them in anyway on your first day. First impressions are always important ! Not far away, you spotted a familiar figure. A pretty short looking male, dressed in track pants and a sweat shirt with a cap. He was very built and as you were walking closer to him, you recognised him to be Super Junior's Donghae. Your heart skipped a beat. You have got to admit he looked on television but now that you're seeing his actual person, you were just mersmerised by him. Unfortunately, he turned into a corridor ahead and that was the last you saw of him for that day. Sigh.

You were led to a corridor where there were about 3 or 4 young teens like you sitting outside a room. You then figured it was the audition room. The lady politely told you would have to wait in line before being able to go in. You started to feel nervous. You could feel your heart crawling up your throat when you weren't even in the room yet. C'mon, c'mon. Chill, you're gna be just fine. 

 

After about half an hour, it was finally your turn. You entered and your footsteps echoed throughout the room. It was exceptionally quiet and it freaked you out quite abit. Likewise, you bowed 90 degrees and mustering as much confidence as you can, said, "Anneonghasayo, Ga Eun imnida." 2 men and a lady who seemed to be an interpreter say in a row in front of you. Through the lady's interpreting, you were told that you could be seated and that they would be conducting an interview.

You were asked questions regarding your background and your interest in becoming an artist, and briefed about the commitments and rules you would have to abide by as a trainee under SME. You were given documents in English stating a sample of the contract every trainee would have to sign before being accepted into the company. But it didn't mean you passed the audition, yet.

The lady then said, "We've completed the interview section. Now is there any skill you would like to show ?"

You swallowed your saliva. You couldn't help but feel nervous despite practicing dance on a daily basis. You shyly nodded your head and explained it was simply imitating dances from other groups and basic ballet steps you have been revising in order to maintain your flexibility. 

"You can begin whenever you're ready," she said.

Without any music ? ..I..I'm not used to this. I practice all the time with music . How am I going to- . Okay relax. The 2 men in front had their utmost attention onto you and shifted a little in their seat as they waited for you to get ready. You took deep breaths, and after mustering all your courage, turned to face the mirror and starting to dance whatever you've practiced often. You focused on your steps in the mirror, hoping to ignore the pairs of eyes you feel looking at your each and every move. Every turn, every bend, every leap and twirl, you delivered to your utmost ability. You had never been so detailed during your practice and by the end of the dance, you were panting quite a fair bit but you took a bow.

"Thank you," you said, trying to sound less breathless.

The expression on the 2 men's face didn't seem to have changed, and that's when you started to worry a little. You crossed your fingers behind your back and prayed silently as he scribbled some notes on a piece of paper with the same stern look. You looked down, hoping you won't have to face any form of disappointment. 

"Ga Eun-sshi, here's the contract which you'll have to submit in within a week. We hope you would consider allowing us to nurture you into an artist. Thank you for coming." The lady held out the documents and smiled.

Did she..DID SHE JUST SAY THAT ? Pinch me. I paused as i stared at them with my eyes wide opened. I bowed and thanked them profusely as I reached out for the envelope where the documents were placed in. I. Couldn't. Believe. It. I made my way out of the building before letting out my contained excitement. I started to jump around and grin to myself before coming to a realisation that I had a night shift to attend at the convenience store. I placed the documents safely in my haversack, before skipping my way to work. 

My mood was exceptionally good during work, which caused my colleagues to give me weird glances. But I didn't care, I just wanted to get home fast to fill in the form and get the administrative work done quick. The faster the paper work is done, the faster I can start training. Indescribable excitement built up in me.

This is my dream come true.

---

A week passed quickly. I had resigned from my part time job at the convenience store to allow more time for my training at SME. They also provided lodging at SM Academy, so I moved out of the crammed hostel to a much better environment to stay in. Food in the cafeteria was also free, so I basically saved a lot of money after managing to enter the company successfully. 

Everyday I'd go to work at the cafe, before returning to attend lessons like Korean language class, acting, singing and dancing, depending on the day. Some days were busier than the others but I didn't mind. It was something I've wanted to experience all along. At times I was taught alone, and sometimes we were taught as a class. The people around me were more or less Korean, so I haven't really got a chance to get to know anyone that well yet. Nevertheless, they treated me nicely and made attempts to make friends but due to our language barrier, there was a limit to how much we interact with one another. 

It was great to know there are people working hard alongside me to pursue our common goal. But it also made me somewhat competitive, as we all wanted to debut in the soonest time possible. 

Our wonderful journey begins.

 

 

A/N: I will have to fast forward by quite a lot in the next chapter to Donghae can appear !! Sorry about that :x Oh and I used Ga Eun cos it's my Korean name translated from my Chinese name, I had it checked hehe. I couldn't think of any other name so yeah heh. Thanks for reading ! (: