That voice

Under Your Spotlight

 

A/N: To start off, CHEONGMAL MIANHE, for the 2-months-close-to-3-months wait for this update. Yes, hate me :x Did you guys think I was dead ? Just curious. Then again, I'm expecting no one to actually be anticipating this story anymore :x I'm really sorry ! I just ended my exams on Donghae's birthday, and since then I've been having a writer's block as well as preparing for a national exam paper coming up on the 10th Nov so... I'm really sorry if this chapter is not good enough or too short for you. For those who are still following the story, thank you so much ! I'm starting to get the hang of writing again and if I don't update soon, I promise more frequent updates after my exam in 9 days ! Sorry for my...unspoken absense. Heh. Till then, tkcare guys ! Thanks for reading, commenting and subscribing ! 

Thank you very, very much, my 78 subscribers and 4066 viewers ! Here's something for ya:

tumblr_ltz4i8ed1b1r5fudqo1_r1_250.gif

*runs away and hides hehehe*

 

 

 

DONGHAE’S POV

“YOU STINKING BASTARD !” I hollered, throwing punches mercilessly into his face, not giving him any chance to retaliate.

“WHO ARE YOU CALLING A BASTARD ?! Look at yourself, you weakling ! You brought this upon yourself !” He shouted back at me, struggling against my strong grip and successfully kicking at my shin so I fell back.

“HOW COULD YOU DO THIS TO HER ?! YOU’RE A JERK, SUCH A JERK !” I replied with another punch into his face, the both of us struggling against each other on the ground, with the fight slowly evolving into a bloody battle as the corner of his lips started to bleed.

I just couldn’t. I burned with hatred the more I looked at him. The sight of him disgusted me right now. How could he do this to her ? This is outrageously inhumane. He damaged the love of my life, what did ___ ever did wrong to him ?! No, sparing him is not even a question. Impossible.

“G-guys…! Break it up !” I could hear Hye Rin’s fear filled voice before she came running over, trying to get in between us which she really shouldn’t have since Jake practically grabbed her hard by her arm and flung her across the room, causing her back to hit the walls with a loud thud.

I stared at him, disgusted. Our eyes met, and in the middle of what seemed to be an intense staring competition, I kicked him right in the chest, sending him to the side of the room, before making my way quickly over to Hye Rin who was by now breaking into a small sob while pressing a hand against her back.

“Are you okay, Hye Rin ?” I asked, instinctively placing my hand gently on her back on the spot where it seems to hurt.

“It…hurts…” She managed to sob out.

Very gently, I rubbed her back gently, comforting her. Mustering a look which portrayed myself to be as confident as possible, I said, “You’ll be fine, don’t be scared, I’m here… ”

However, her eyes were filled with fear, and her hands trembled before she managed to shout, “O-oppa..! Oppa, watch out behind you !!”

Then, I saw nothing but pitch black.

 

YOUR POV

I’ve been laying in bed for about two hours now without any reason I could think of to explain what was keeping me from sleeping. Sigh, maybe some warm tea would do the trick…

“___ ? Aigoo  ___-ah why aren’t you sleeping ? It’s already past 2am,” Yesung oppa looked up from his laptop upon seeing that I came out of the room with a look of disapproval on his face.

I sighed and sat beside him, grabbing a cushion that was beside me and hugging it. “I can’t sleep,” I sighed. “And I don’t know why… Has Donghae oppa called you ?”

“Naaah, not yet. But it’s pretty weird, don’t you think ? I mean, he’s definitely not the type that can drink so… He should have called about an hour ago or something,” Yesung oppa replied, seemingly in deep thought. “Oh well, that guy hasn’t gone out for some fun in a while so I guess it’s okay that he comes home late !”

Not knowing what to do at this hour of the night, I simply laid my head back against the couch. Somehow or another, I just had this ominous feeling. What if something happened to him ? Especially with his injured ankle… Should I give him a call ?

“Oppa, I’m gonna try calling him, alrighty ?” I asked as I picked up the cordless home phone.

Yesung oppa chuckled for a bit, before replying, “Sure thing, but I doubt he’ll hear his phone ringing.”

Without any hesitation, my fingers ran over the buttons of the phone, dialing the number I was most familiar with and after sometime, a voice resounded on the other line. “Yeobusayo ? Donghae oppa !” I exclaimed, feeling slightly relieved.

“Annyeonghasayo, this is Seoul Hospital,” The lady politely answered, leaving me slightly surprised. B-bwoh ? Did she just say Seoul Hospital ? I swear I dialed the correct number...

“Seoul Hospital ? Isn’t this supposed to be a mobile phone number ?” I asked, utterly confused.

“Yes it is, Miss. I’m so sorry to inform you that Mr. Lee has been admitted to the hospital not long ago and it’s great timing that you called since we were trying to contact his family members. I am the nurse in charge of attending to the paper work. May I ask if you are his kin ?”

“Ne, I am. Is he injured very seriously ? W-…what happened ?” I asked anxiously, earning a curious yet surprised look from Yesung oppa who had just sat down beside me on the couch with a mug of freshly brewed coffee from the kitchen.

“It seems like he was involved in an assault case and the police has been called over as well. We would appreciate if you could come to the hospital right now,” She said.

“Oh...of course ! We’ll be there as soon as possible !” I replied and hung up.

“What is it ?” Yesung oppa asked, raising an eyebrow.

“Donghae oppa’s in the…hospital because he was involved in some sort of aassault case…” I tried explaining it as simple as possible, trying to digest the piece of information as well at the same time. “We should be making our way there as soon as possible.”

“BWOH ?!” Yesung stared at me, eyes wide open before he ran down the hallway. “HYUNGS ! WAKE UP ! HURRY !”

With that, Leeteuk oppa, Heechul oppa and Shindong oppa who were living in the same dorm immediately did a quick wash up before getting dressed decently and heading out with Yesung oppa and I towards the hospital. Yesung oppa explained briefly what had happened, leaving the members dazed, but it was also partially due to the fact that they were still half asleep. Leeteuk oppa who had been tired out because of Kiss the Radio decided to catch a bit more sleep, putting on a neck cushion, while the rest stared out of the windows into blank space. I sighed, leaning back and trying to get comfortable in my seat. Assault case ? Seriously ? What had happened ? Aish, this is crazy...

Fortunately, it wasn’t a long drive and we managed to reach the hospital within a good 20 minutes. The members got off the car, making their way to the reception with long strides, leaving me trailing behind.

“Annyeonghasayo, we’re looking for Mr. Lee Donghae. May we know which ward is he in ?” Leeteuk oppa asked politely, though unable to hide his anxiousness.

Upon recognizing the members, the nurse put on a friendly smile before replying, “Just head straight and turn left at the corridor, ward number 15.”


 

As they made a turn at the end of the corridor, the group was slightly bewildered to see several policemen at the entrance of two separate wards, of which one was where Donghae was supposedly in.

“Looks serious…” Shindong thought aloud as they approached the ward.

___, still worried sick about Donghae’s condition, immediately rushed over to his ward only to be denied entry by the police.

“Sorry Miss, you’re not allowed in for now,” He stated firmly, allowing no room for negotiation.

“Wae ? W-what’s going on ?” ___ asked in a panicky voice with the members slowly joining behind her.

“The police is currently interrogating the patient now, so you will only be allowed in when they are done,” He explained. “We would appreciate your cooperation.”

Persistent, ___ continued, “B-but…!”

“___ ah, be patient,” Leeteuk pulled her gently away from the police, knowing very well that she was being emotional. “We know you feel uneasy, but he should be fine since he is able to be interrogated. So take it easy, okay ?”

With that, the members forced themselves to sit on the chairs along the corridor, restraining themselves from bursting through the doors of the wards as the seconds ticked past. Meanwhile, a police officer was standing at the door of the ward opposite Donghae's, probably guarding anyone from entering the ward as well.

"If anything happens to Donghae's ankle, I'll make sure I'll break his as well, "Heechul, who made an attempt to peep through the windows, muttered under his breath, earning a cautious look from Shindong oppa.

“But our Donghae isn’t the kind to engage in a fight…” Yesung thought seriously to himself, the members readily agreeing while Leeteuk just rubbed his temples. He was probably getting a headache from from the lack of sleep.

 

YOUR POV

Finally, after what seemed like eternity, the doors opened and two policemen emerged, walking towards us before bowing. “We’re sorry to keep you waiting. We are done interrogating the patient so you guys are allowed to go in now. If you have anymore information regarding the case, please do contact us. We will appreciate any form of help regarding this investigation,” One of them politely informed us.

“Ne, thank you for your effort, you’ve worked hard,” Leeteuk oppa replied and bowed, and the other members followed his example.

I rushed through the doors now that the doors were unblocked, and there he was, with a bandage around his head and a few visible bruises on his arms and face.

“Oppa !” I called out, quickly making my way beside him and holding his hand. “You made us so worried…! Is your ankle alright ?”

“Mianhe…” He apologized sincerely, rubbing my hands gently as if it was a way to pacify me. “But I’m fine now, nothing big ! The doctor said that they’re merely superficial injuries, that’s all ! My ankle's perfectly fine, as good as new, seeeeeeee ~”

He made circular motions with his ankle, his puppy eyes looking into mine and gradually, I felt my narrowed eyebrows start to relax. Really, how does this man do that ? But giving in to him so easily doesn’t seem to be all too fair either. I sighed, “Ya, you have lots of explaining to do… Does it still hurt ?”

“Aniyo, everything’s good !” He replied with a smile, before realizing that the rest of the members were glaring at him with their arms folded, still waiting for an explanation about his current state.

“Excuse me, I’m sorry to interrupt. May I ask one of you to help settle the paperwork for the patient please ?” The petite sized nurse asked shyly as she popped her head in, probably sensing the awkwardness. How timely.

“I’ll go,” I announced, earning a pleading look from Donghae oppa as that would mean that I’d be leaving him alone with his now-scary-looking hyungs. Kekeke, guess I’d just leave everything into the hands of the men ! With that, I quickly excused myself from the room, smiling inwardly to myself as I caught a glance of a sorry-looking Donghae at the side of my eye.

It was funny how my anger and anxiousness seemed to have dissipated the moment he held my hand and started to whine. Am I being too mushy ? But it’s true, it really is. Donghae oppa really has his ways. Though I very much want to know the answer why such a gentlemanly person like him would suddenly decide to meet up with a bunch of friends to drink till the wee hours of the morning as well as be entangled in an assault case… Ohwell, men are men after all, right ? …No, I still, really didn’t get it. Yet. Sigh.

“Long time no see, Ga Eun – sshi,” a voice spoke from behind me. T-that…that voice. No, I didn’t hear it wrongly.

 

It really was that voice.