Liar

Under Your Spotlight

 

DONGHAE’S POV

“Oh ? D-Donghae sshi ?” The female asked when I turned around to face them, probably surprised by my sudden appearance. “…What are you doing here ?”

I stood up, smiling and greeting them. “Annyeonghasayo, you must be ___’s friends ? She mentioned about her two buddies in Seoul University. Hye Rin and…Jake, right ?” I eyed Jake carefully, he looked…well, just not so friendly, for now at least. “I’m just here to pick up her belongings.”

“Ne, it’s nice to meet you. It’s actually been a long time since we last saw ___ and we heard she got…you know. We were worried. We tried calling but she never picks up.” Hye Rin explained. “How is she ?”

“Ah, she doesn’t pick up any calls unless it’s from one of the members or her parents now,” I said. “But not to worry, she’s making great progress !”

“That’s nice,” Jake finally spoke with a smile. “So how’s the investigation going ?”

I sighed. “It’s going nowhere, they haven’t found anything yet.”



 

 

Jake laughed on the inside. Of course they haven’t found anything, their only source of evidences are she and I. “That’s a pity… So, why are you clearing her belongings ? Is she cancelling her enrolment here ?”

“Ne, her parents requested that I did and not to tell her,” he explained. “Mm, will you guys be having any lectures ? Maybe we can go somewhere nearby to just talk and stuff. She didn’t tell me much about her time in university since I came back from Taiwan…”

Jake put on a smile, “Sure, that’d be great. We just ended our schedule for today anyway !”

Donghae smiled and continued to empty her belongings into the empty haversack he had brought while Hye Rin and Jake just kept their books back into the locker. Then, the trio headed to a café in the university and sat down to talk over coffee.

“So did you eat the cake she baked and see the scarf she knitted ?” Hye Rin asked excitedly.

“Yes, I did. The cake was too sweet but that’s okay. The scarf was not too bad either, considering that was the first time she knitted one. After all, it’s the sincerity that counts !” He replied, smiling at the thought of ___’s sweetness.

The trio then continued chatting and talking about ___ and how they had spent their university time together. Time flew past and before he knew it, it was already sunset.

“Ah, it’s a pity it’s late already, it was nice getting to understand ___’s friends better. Thank you for taking care of her so well when I was away,” Donghae thanked them sincerely.

“No problem, we’re friends after all !” Jake replied.

“Mm, since I don’t know when I’ll see you guys again, how about going for a drink sometime next week ? It’ll be my treat !” Donghae suggested.

“Aniyo, it’s okay, how can we trouble you and take up your time ?” Hye Rin replied.

“Don’t worry, it’s my pleasure ! For 4 months you’ve been so nice to ___, taking care of her and all. And today you guys helped me understand more about her and her university days, I don’t know how to thank you guys enough. Let me treat the both of you, just this once !” Donghae insisted.

“Well I’m fine with it ! How about next Friday ?” Jake asked.

“Call !” Donghae said, grinning.

With that, the trio then went their separate ways, with Donghae going back to the general office to return the keys to the staff and pick up his car.

 

YOUR POV

The members and I were gathered together in the living room, just sitting there quietly waiting for Donghae to come home. They had already been home for two hours after their dance practice without Donghae, obviously causing all of us to worry. Despite the 20 phone calls we dialed altogether, we couldn’t get through. We couldn’t call the police either since it had only been 2 hours since we found out he had gone missing.

I got up from the couch and walked towards the window, looking downstairs for the nth time in hope of catching a glimpse of that white Audi. Where is he ?

“Did he tell you anything else ?” Leeteuk oppa asked.

“No, all he said was that he’s going to the office to watch you guys practice…” I said worriedly. “What if something happened ? With his unrecovered ankle and all…”

The members sighed. Frustrated and worried, I sat back on the couch and stared at my phone. 2 hours and 17 minutes. Donghae, where are you ? I’m worried sick ! Then, as if having read my mind, Kyuhyun oppa came to sit beside me, taking my phone away from my hands so I would stop looking at it and gave me a reassuring smile.

“Aish, seriously, that Donghae ! He’s going to get it from me, I swear !” Heechul oppa said, irritated since they had been waiting for him to come home for more than 2 hours.

The clock ticked by, involving a lot of situations whereby the members started pacing up and down the living room, looking downstairs or even calling him some more. But finally, after another half an hour, all of our heads turned towards the main door as the sound of the door unlocking resounded.

“I’m homeeee !” Donghae called out cheerfully with a smile. “Eh ? Why’s everyone gathered here ? What’s the big occasion ?”

Heechul oppa stood up, exclaiming, “The BIG occasion is that you, Lee Donghae, went somewhere else without telling us with an injured ankle and didn’t pick up the 20 plus calls we dialed for you !”

He immediately checked his phone, only realizing then that his phone had run out of battery. “Chill, hyung ! I didn’t know the battery’s flat…” He said, smiling sheepishly, still unaware of how worried everyone has been.

“Where have you been ? We’ve been waiting at home for more than 2 hours for you to come home !” Leeteuk oppa asked.

It was then when Donghae turned towards where I was, on the far end of the couch, looking right into his eyes. Those eyes, those warm chocolate brown eyes didn’t look as reassuring as they were before. Rather, it was more of fear, or the fact that he was hiding something from me. He lied to me.

He swallowed hard, “I…er, just…”

Why can’t you say anything Hae ? Why did you lie to me ? The fact that he couldn’t even confess hurt me, a lot. I thought we had learnt from our previous argument not to hide anything from each other anymore, we even made a promise. Disappointment overwhelmed me and I avoided his nervous gaze, making my way to the bedroom and closing the door behind me. It’ll make things easier for the both of us, why go through the trouble of pursuing the matter and then getting into another fight anyway ?

“Y-ya ___ !” I heard him shout as he went after me, but was too late since I had already locked the door. He knocked on the door continuously, “___ ! Don’t be like that please, I’m sorry…! Open up, will you ?”

If I open up then, will you tell me the truth ? If I didn’t found out, when will you then ever tell the truth ? I don’t know what was there to lie about if it was simply just going out. How long were you planning to lie to me ? Shouldn’t a couple share their happiness, troubles and sorrows ? I don’t get it, Donghae.



 

Much to his dismay, there was no response. He sighed and turned back towards s for help, but they all gave him accusing looks.

“You’re busted, hyung,” Kyuhyun said before going to his room to play his computer games once again.

“You are so, so dead,” Ryeowook added and went to the kitchen to start preparing dinner for the members.

The other members left to do their own activities, some going back to the rooms while those living upstairs the television.

Seeing how lost he looked, Shindong went over to him, “I don’t know where you went or why you lied because you’ve never done that before. But go to her, apologise and tell her the truth, araso ?”

Donghae nodded, “Ne, araso hyung…”

Donghae limped back to his room to put down his haversack. His ankle was starting to hurt again due to the amount of walking he had done for the day. Thus, he decided to give her time to cool down while he used the time to take a shower and ice his ankle.

“DINNER IS READY !” Ryeowook shouted from the dining room as he laid the table.

The members then gathered at the table, helping to bring out the dishes.

“Hyung, call ___ over for dinner,” Siwon said.

Donghae looked at him, “M-me ? She’s still mad at me…”

Eunhyuk sighed, “You’re hopeless, Hae. Seriously !” Then, he got up from the table and knocked on her door.

“___-ah, dinner’s ready ! Come and eat,” Eunhyuk knocked on the door.

Seeing and hearing no response, he tried again, “You know we won’t start unless everyone’s at the table, right ? I’m hungry !”

Upon hearing that, it didn’t take her more than half a minute to open the door. She wasn’t her usual smiling self, instead she was sulking, and her eyes were red.

“C’mon now, if you’re still upset with him you can sit with us at the other end,” Eunhyuk said showing his gummy smile, trying to lighten up her mood.

She let out a small smile and as she walked towards the dining table and took a seat far away from Donghae, unlike where she would normally sit, she could feel his stare on her but she simply chose to ignore it. There was obviously an awkward atmosphere but due to Heechul and Shindong cracking jokes most of the time, dinner wasn’t too quiet although she didn’t speak a word.

After dinner, it was Yesung’s turn to wash the dishes today, and ___ went over to help him like how she usually does for the other members.

 

YOUR POV

“Thank goodness you’re always here to help us,” Yesung said, smiling.

“Well, it really is a lot of dishes,” I laughed slightly.

Then, there was a familiar voice. “Hyung, let me do the dishes instead…”

I didn’t say a word but just stood there, continuing to soap the dishes. However, once he replaced Yesung oppa and stood beside me to wash the dishes, I rinsed the soap away on my hands and grabbed a cloth to wipe the dining table. As expected, he followed, and I walked back to the kitchen before I heard Donghae let out a deep sigh. I didn’t like this awkward atmosphere between the both of us, it was better to avoid each other at times like these. I mean, in my opinion at least. As he stood beside me again, I made an attempt to move away, but was stopped by the firm, warm hands that grabbed my wrist.

“Let go,” I said without looking at him, shrugging his hand off.

“I’m sorry, okay ? I didn’t mean it…” He replied.

I kept quiet, standing still in place, taking a deep breath and staring up at the ceiling.

“Don’t be mad anymore…” Donghae pleaded, tugging on my arm and whining a little like a kid.

I had to admit that he understands me best, like how his aegyo and that pair of puppy eyes work no matter how moody or sulky I was. “Then why did you lie to me ? I’m not mad, I’m just disappointed and upset that you lied,” I finally gave in and said, still looking away.

“It’s because, I…I um…” Donghae stuttered.

Seeing how Donghae couldn’t respond, I said once again, “It’s okay then, I won’t force you, let it be. There are a few more dishes outside just to let you know.” Then, I walked out of the kitchen, making my way back to my bedroom.

I gave him a chance, but he didn’t take it. Was it because he didn’t trust me ?

 

DONGHAE’S POV

Sigh, I know how she must be feeling. If I put myself in her shoes, I would too feel hurt that my partner was lying, and even when given the chance, not confessing. But this was troubling for me too. I mean, I did assure her parents that I wouldn’t tell her about it and if I didn’t tell her about it, wouldn’t she remain angry with me ? Coming up with an excuse would then mean another lie. Aish, this is so troubling !

After finishing up the remaining dishes, I went back to the bedroom, not in the mood for watching dramas together with the rest of the members. I laid on my bed, staring at the ceiling in deep thought. Then, after a while, the door clicked open and Leeteuk hyung walked into the room, taking a seat beside me.

“So ?” He asked, expecting me to understand his one word question. Wait, was it even a question ?

“What,” I replied bluntly.

“Why did you lie, and how’s it going between the both of you,” Leeteuk hyung stated.

“Well,” I sighed. “I have my own problems.”

“Ya ! I’m your hyung, tell me about it ! What do you mean you have your own problems ? Don’t we always share our problems ?” Leeteuk said. “C’mon Hae, spill.”

I reluctantly sat up, walking towards the door and ensuring that no one was lingering at the corridor before closing it and returning to Leeteuk’s side. My mood was really down.

“I talked to her parents, and we decided to cancel her enrolment at Seoul University. They didn’t want me to tell her about it because they were afraid it might bring back bad memories in one way or another, so I told her I was going to see you guys at the practice room, but went to the university to clear her belongings from her locker instead…” Donghae explained.

Leeteuk, nodded understandingly, “Well, then you should have been smarter and came home earlier or something.”

“I planned to !” I rebutted.

“But ?” Leeteuk hyung interrupted.

I sighed. “But then I bumped into the two friends she often told me about at the lockers so we decided to talk over coffee at a café and time just…well…passed by quickly without my realization and I forgot all about it…”

“Ahh, so it’s like that…” Leeteuk said thoughtfully before patting my back. “So…are you planning to lie to her again ? I mean, since you have some explaining to do…”

“I don’t know hyung,” I said helplessly, lying on the bed again and closed my eyes in defeat. “She’s never been so angry with me before… Ottoke…”

Leeteuk hyung pulled me up so I was sitting on the bed and grabbed my shoulders, shaking me a bit as if trying to wake me up from my misery. He let out a sly grin, before he whispered, “I got a plan. But that’s if you cooperate and we all work together ! Get yourself back together, Donghae.”



 

The next morning, ___ woke up to the chatter of the members from the living room. Unable to fall back to sleep, she groaned and lazily crawled out of bed.

“Good morning…” she said in a tired, throaty voice, rubbing her eyes and trying to tidy up her disheveled hair.

“Good afternoon, you mean !” Sungmin corrected and chuckled.

She instinctively turned to look at the clock, letting out an embarrassed smile. “Eheheh ! Anyway, what are all of you doing here again ?” She asked, noticing the 9 of them sitting in a circle.

“Waiting for you to get up so that we can go on an outing !” Kyuhyun exclaimed, smiling enthusiastically at ___.

“Outing ? Oh…you guys shouldn’t have waited for me… I’m sorry oppas, but I’m not in the mood to go, you guys go ahead ! I’m fine here,” ___ said, trying to give them a smile. She hadn’t been able to sleep well the night before.

“___-ah ! We waited for you at home and now you’re saying you’re not joining us to play ?” Ryeowook said cutely, pouting and showing her his puppy eyes, thus earning a disgusted look from Eunhyuk. “It’s rare we get a break…”

Seeing how the members were looking at her with hopeful eyes especially after Ryeowook pulled off his aegyo, she sighed in defeat. “Ne, araso, just let me shower before going. Will that be okay ?”

“NE !” The members exclaimed and cheered like little kids as they sat on the floor.

Then, ___ chuckled and went towards the bathroom. Not long after, they were good to go and they got into 2 separate vehicles. ___ did notice, however, that Donghae wasn’t at the dorms, or with them. Being unable to resist the urge to ask about him, ___ finally broke the silence in the car.

“Suju oppas…where’s Donghae oppa ?” She asked rather shyly, causing the members to let out a cheeky smile.

“Just at the doctor’s for a regular check up ! He told us to go ahead without him,” Yesung said, keeping up with the plan and causing the members to peep at her reaction.

Like the members expected, there was a hint of disappointment on her face, and the members contained their smiles, not wanting to ruin the surprise they had all planned together.

“Oh, okay. So…where are we going ?” ___ asked, slightly less excited than before as she looked at the unfamiliar scenery outside the window.

“Somewhere quiet. You’ll see !” Heechul said while tinkering with his iPhone.

 

YOUR POV

“___-ah, we’re here,” Kyuhyun shook me gently, waking me up from my sleep. It took us nearly 8 hours to get here by car.

“Where are we…?” I asked, still a little disoriented, looking around. It was already evening.

Then, Leeteuk oppa suddenly held my hand and brought me towards a pathway leading to the beach. “I’ll be back in a while, guys !” He shouted.

Lost, I frantically looked around. “Leeteuk oppa, where are we ? And where are you taking me to ?”

“We’re at a fishing village, and we’re walking towards the sea,” He said with a smile.

“Fishing village ? What are we doing here ?” I was lost. We left the house in the early afternoon, took an 8 hour drive to a foreign place Leeteuk oppa calls a fishing village and now he was literally dragging me to the sea ? What was going on here ?

He simply smiled before stopping in his tracks.

“Because it’s the fish’s hometown,” My eyes widened. …That voice. His voice.

I slowly turned to face the direction of where the voice was coming from, simply mesmerized and pleasantly surprised by what I saw in front of me. …Donghae…a-and, what’s all this…? It’s…beautiful.

“Komawo, hyung !” Donghae exclaimed.

Leeteuk oppa that let go of my hand, giving Donghae a ‘fighting’ sign before walking away, leaving the both of us alone on the beach.

 

 

 

 

 

A/N: Surprise surprise ? Hehehe, what are Donghae and the members up to ? Stay tuned ! ^^ Thank you for reading and all the comments you gave me for the past chapter ! Really appreciate it ♥ Keep it going ! It'd be rly nice of you :B Hope you enjoy the update ! Oh and one more thing, I don't think I'll be ending this story soon, alot came up suddenly so... xD Please forgive me for my mistakes, didn't pro-read (: And just saying, the next update will probably be short. Till then, tkcare guys !