IX.

Letters to Yoona

 

[L e t t e r s | to | Y o o n a]

N I N E

 

Dear Yoona,

 

I woke up in the clearing alone this morning. I don't even remember falling asleep; all I could recall was everything going black, but I don't remember anything right before that.

I sat up for a few moments and looked around at the clearing. There was no sign of you anywhere, nothing to show that you had ever been there.

It took me a while to realise that you weren't going to appear out of nowhere and it was then that I actually realised that you and I weren't going to be friends again. Last night, I guess you just wanted to see me. Just once.

I stood up then, thinking that my parents would be worried about my unexplained disappearance. But then I remembered that they were on holiday, and there would be no one at home who'd know that I'd even been gone.

I remember feeling really sad about that.

Since I was already standing, I figured there was no point staying in the clearing any longer.

I really should have gone straight home then, but I didn't. I walked straight past the line of trees near the riverbank, further along the place and closer to the lake than where I had crossed the river last night.

And then I saw something that I will never forget again.

Washed up on the shore was a small, blue rowboat, with faded paint and a bunch of numbers on the side that were no longer legible. There was only one oar in the boat; I couldn't find the other.

At first, I saw nothing. It was just a boat. For some reason, it felt familiar, but I couldn't remember ever seeing it before.

Then I inched closer and picked up the lone oar, and everything came back to me.

Every detail.

All the lost memories flooded my mind, invoked by the sight of a single oar.

I couldn't help it. I've been crying a lot recently, but this time, there was no way I could've suppressed my tears.

Because I remembered the last night that we were friends, and I knew then what you meant last night, about wishing you could see the stars.

I wish I could have seen them, too. I wish I'd told you that.

It must have been hard on you, Yoona.

But you shouldn't be the one saying sorry. You have nothing to be sorry for.

It wasn't your fault.

I don't know how long I sat there, collapsed on my knees next to the boat with my eyes closed, tears threatening to rip my eyelids apart. I couldn't stop crying, and for the first time, I didn't even care. I had a right to cry.

I don't remember riding home, and I forgot about the overgrown grass in the fields.

 I just got home now. And I can't stop thinking about that night; the last night that we were friends.

I don't know why I ever forgot, but I don't know what's worse: remembering everything, like you do, or not knowing anything at all. But I don't have a choice now, do I? Because I remember everything now. Just like you do.

And despite what you or anyone else might think, I still miss you.

I still love you.

 

Eternally yours,

Luhan. 

 

***

 

A/N: Hello, everyone ^^ Thanks to everyone who has subscribed, commented and voted so far ^^ I just wanted to say that if you read the last update (chapter 8) before I tweaked it (which was just then), I made a mistake. They didn't visit the lake in summer, they went there in winter. It's kind of important, so yeah... ^^;; Sorry, careless mistake.