6th Chapter

We Meet on AFF...

Scene 1: Europe, university cafeteria at lunch time.

On the set: Aaron, Carole, Kevin, other students populating the cafeteria

Aaron is sitting at the table she had agreed to meet at with donutinlove yesterday evening. She’s scanning the people and wondering whether that or this person might actually be her. First, Aaron suspects the slightly chubby girl with short brown hair and a backpack that walks towards Aaron’s table. But then she walks past her.

Next, a tall skinny girl wearing red heels and a Gucci handbag stalks in Aaron’s direction. Aaron recognises her as one of the clan and immediately starts thinking of how to bid her goodbye the fastest. But the doesn’t even spare her a glance and walks past too. Aaron sighs relived.

“Um hi… Are you TaeminsWings?” A female voice just then askes from behind her and Aaron spins around.

The girl who spoke just now is looking at Aaron expectantly. There is also a tall and handsome – if measured by European standards – guy standing behind the girl. But he’s being pushed into the background by the quite striking appearance of the girl. She’s rather short than tall and has long wavy blond hair. But she has dyed crimson streaks into it and is wearing a green hat with red feathers. In fact, her whole outfit is pretty colourful.

Aaron: Wow, she is wearing one of the most eccentric clothes I’ve ever seen but it looks surprisingly good on her…!

Hi! Yes, I am! Well, actually it’s Aaron… You must be donutinlove, then? (Said while smiling friendly)

Carole: Yup! Also known as Carole… Oh and this is Kevin, my childhood friend! (Gestures at the tall guy standing behind her) He’s studying medicine like me but he’s a year ahead of me…

Kevin with a smile: Hi, Aaron. I’ve already heard a lot about you! (Nods at Carole)

Aaron: Hi!

Carole and Kevin both sit down.

Carole: It really is too funny that we both attended the same lectures without knowing, huh?

Aaron: Yes! And we even talked about them!

Kevin (smirking): Well, it just shows how much attention you guys are paying during lectures…

Carole: Says the right person! (To Aaron while giving Kevin a reprimanding glare) He’s always playing games throughout the whole lecture and before the exam he then asks if he can copy my notes!

Kevin (innocently shrugs his shoulders): Well, what’s the use of doing the same work twice?

Aaron wants to contradict but gets stopped by Carole: Don’t even try to argue with him! It’s wasted effort. (Then in a lower voice but still intended for Kevin to hear) He liked to bang his head at the wall when he was a child so his mind is a little… jumbled up.

Kevin: Says the girl who walks around looking like a Christmas tree…! (To Aaron; smiling) Don’t listen to her; my mind is perfectly fine! (Glares at Carole)

Carole (indignantly): Hey! I do NOT look like a Christmas tree! (To Aaron) What do you think? Do I look like a Christmas tree?

Aaron: No…

Carole back to Kevin: See?!

Kevin: She’s just being polite… (To Aaron with a grin) Right?

Aaron while shaking her head: No-no, I was serious! It’s unique, I admit. But I think it suits her a lot!

Kevin gives Aaron a disbelieving look while Carole smiles at him triumphantly. Then Kevin jokingly pushed his chair away from them.

Kevin: You guys have a serious case of bad taste! Even the type of guy you find handsome is… (Shudders)

Carole to Aaron: Aaron, you have no idea how happy I am to finally meet someone who understands me! (Grabs Aarons hand with faked desperation) This guy (glances at Kevin) is simply useless!

Kevin to Aaron: You really also think that those chinky-eyes are more handsome Orlando Bloom and co.?!

Carole through gritted teeth: I told you NOT to call them chinky-eyes!!

But Kevin ignores her; he really wants to hear Aaron’s reply.

Kevin to Aaron: Do you?

Aaron while nodding with a shy smile: Yup…

Kevin slumps his shoulders and proclaims with played despair: (Sighs heavily) Aaaand another girl has fallen victim to the exotic peacocks called KPop idols! Just where will this end?!

Carole: Again, don’t mind him!

Kevin suddenly grabs Carols arm and starts shaking her.

Kevin with an expression of dramatic horror: Carole, the European race is dying out!! What do we doooo~?!?

Aaron stares at his theatrical display in amazement and then bursts out laughing.

Aaron: Hahahahahah… gosh-hahaha… you’re so funny! Hahahahahahah…!

Kevin stops shaking Carole and gazes at Aaron surprised. But then a smile spreads across his face.

Kevin (smiling): You’re laughter is really pretty, you know…

Aaron instantly stops laughing and looks at him with wide eyes. But Kevin just continues to smile at her and Aaron embarrassedly turns away.

Carole after smacking Kevin’s head: Okay, stop flirting with her, you playboy! You’ve only met her today! And she’s MY FRIEND!

Kevin while rubbing the place she hit: What! I was only stating the truth!

Carole: Well, she’s not interested anyway! Because… tatam-tatam… (To Aaron excitedly) Have you already watched SHINee’s new MV?!

Instantly, Aaron’s eyes light up and her expression becomes dreamy.

Aaron giddily: Ohmygod, YESSS! Taemin was soooo~ handsome!!! (Squeals) His voice just kills me again and again!!!

And the rest of the lunch break and the following lecture (it was one they had together) is lost to fangirl talk that clearly shows Kevin why Aaron would not be interested anytime soon…

 

Scene 2: Internet, Skype

On the set: Aaron as TaeminsWings, Taemin as NamTei

NamTei: Hey, Wings! Had a nice day? ^^

How did the meeting with donutinlove go? Did it turn out to be some old wrinkly grandpa? ;-P

TaeminsWings: Hi NamTei!! Beeeeautiful! I met a bird of my feather! Lol

No, the meeting with donutinlove went perfectly! She’s a little… how should I put it… different? Especially her clothing style… ^^ (I’m just gonna say that her bias is unmistakably Key… ^^ But it suits her!) But she’s really nice! We already agreed to eat lunch together tomorrow again! :D

NamTei: Cool! I’m so happy for you! :DD Sounds like you met a friend! ^^ I’m going to be lonely… :’( Just kidding! ;P

TaeminsWings: Of course not! I still have all the lectures that we don’t have together to chat with you! ^^

NamTei: Tsk tsk tsk! Bad girl! You should be paying attention instead of chatting with me! Are you in a lecture right now?

TaeminsWings: Hehehe, but I just can’t help it; you’re way more interesting! ^-^ No comment…

A broad smile spreads across Taemis face.

NamTei: Awwww, thanks! *^^* I can only return the compliment! Although I have no lectures I could compare you to…

But you’re really in a lecture right now? *frowns*

TaeminsWings: Awwww! You’re so sweet! *><*

Taemin: This girl…! Ignoring my question twice…!

NamTei: I know! ;-P But you’re in a lecture, so let’s talk later, oh?

TaeminsWings: What?! Nooooooo!!! It’s really okay! The prof is not saying much anyway! ^^ So I have lots of time to chat with you!!

NamTei: Still, I don’t want to be the reason you’ll fail your subjects! ^^

TaeminsWings: I won’t fail! Didn’t I just say that it’s okay?! If I don’t have you to talk to I’ll die from boredom!! T.T

NamTei: I’m sure you won’t! :) So, later!

TaeminsWings: Noooo! Stay!

No reply from NamTei.

TaeminsWings: NamTei, I know that you’re still here but just not replying anymore! So don’t bother!

Still no reply.

TaeminsWings: NamTei, the boringness is killllllllllllllling me…!

No reply.

TaeminsWings: NamTeiiiiiiiiii~ *does puppy eyes*

No reply.

TaeminsWings: Okay, this is not funny anymore… Come on, hit the enter button on your keyboard so that I can read what you’ve typed!

No reply.

TaeminsWings: You know, right now I’m paying even less attention than I did before… And thinking about it, I might even skip the lecture since it became this boring…

No reply even now.

Aaron: Seriously, this guy…! How long does he plan to keep ignoring me?!

TaeminsWings: I’m packing my stuff right now… For real!

NamTei: Aish! Girl, you’re incorrigible! *rolls eyes*

TaeminsWings: NamTeiiiiiiii~!!! I’ve missed youuuuu~!!!

NamTei: Yeah right! It’s been less than five minutes!

TaeminsWings: You mean you didn’t miss me?! I’m hurt! *sniff*

Taemin chuckles.

NamTei: Alright, I missed you badly! *hugs you to death*

Better? ^^

TaeminsWings: Yup! But now I really want a hug… *sighs*

NamTei: Well, come to Seoul and I’ll give you one! ^^

TaeminsWings: Aaaaaaaah~ Don’t tempt meeee~!!! *covers ears*

NamTei: loool You know, you’re welcome here anytime…! ^^

Aaron mutters: Is he trying to kill me or something?!

TaeminsWings: Didn’t I just tell you not to tempt me?! Huhuhuhu… this is plain torture…!

NamTei: What is?

TaeminsWings: Do you know how many times I went to the airport just to longingly stare at the departure boards?! Or how many times more I searched the internet for flights to Incheon airport?!

NamTei: Really? All that only because of one single guy?

There’s a flattered smile on Taemin’s lips.

TaeminsWings: Well, not only…

Taemin’s smile falters.

NamTei: Oh…?

TaeminsWings: I do like Taemin a lot and I admit that he is one of the main reasons why I want to visit South Korea. To go to one of SHINee’s concert! Ohmygosh, my heart’s already beating ten miles a second just thinking about it! Kyaaaaa!!! *><*

(And the smile is back on Taemins face.)

But are other reasons too… I also want to see the landscape I’ve admired in the dramas so many times with my own eyes. I want to eat real Korean food. I want to visit the historical buildings and sights. I want to wear one of those traditional Korean clothes (forgot how they’re called ><) once. I want to walk around and look how the people live that create the world of KPop and dramas that I like so much. And and and…

Ahahaha, but I guess this sounds creepy to you, a Korean citizen… Sorry ><

NamTei: Stop apologising for your interests! It’s not creepy at all! :) (It’s called a hanbok btw ^^) It shows you’re actually interested in our country and culture and not only in the superficial ‘world of KPop and dramas’ as you called it!

TaeminsWings: Thanks… :)

Btw, how did your project go?

NamTei: Huh? What project?

Taemin: What project did I mention to her…?

TaeminsWings: About a week ago you said that you were starting a new project and that you’d be even busier because of it. You also said that today you would get a first feedback…

Taemin: Oh right, SM put our new MV on YouTube yesterday…

NamTei: Right, I remember! Hmmm, but I haven’t read the feedback yet… ^^ really have been too busy lately ><

TaeminsWings: Oh, then why don’t you read it now? I can listen to the prof in the meantime. And try not to fall asleep! ^^

NamTei: Sure! And I bet it’s not even that hard…! ^^

TaeminsWings: Ha! You have no idea! Okay, then just write when you’re done!

NamTei: Will do! ^^

Maybe half an hour passes. Aaron is having a one-on-one fight with Mr Sandman while Taemin reads comments on their new MV on YouTube and co.

NamTei: Hey Wings, I’m back! ^^

TaeminsWings: Hey! So? How’s the feedback?

NamTei: Quite good actually! Hehehe *^^* Of course, there’s negative feedback too… but it’s just a small part! :D

TaeminsWings: Waah!!! Congratulations!!! *throws confetti* ((And just ignore the negative feedback, it’s probably irrelevant anyway!! ^^)) I’m so happy for you!!!! :DDD Well done!!

NamTei: …thanks… *^^*

TaeminsWings: Omg, are you embarrassed? Aww, that’s so cute~! ^^

NamTei: Well…

TaeminsWings: But you needn’t be!! It seems like you really did well, so you should be proud! :)

NamTei: Well, I guess I am… but I don’t like to brag… ^^

TaeminsWings: Good boy! ^^

NamTei: You sound like you’re talking to a dog! *indignant emicon*

TaeminsWings: Loool! ^^

NamTei: I’m more like a cat though… *thoughtful emicon* I think I’m too shy for a dog… ahaha ^^

TaeminsWings: Hmm, really? I felt like you opened up really quickly…?

Taemin: Of course, it was like you had already known me for years! You knew my every sentiment without me even saying a word! There wasn’t anything to open up anymore.

NamTei: That’s because you’re different…

TaeminsWings: I’m special?

NamTei: Of course! :)

Aaron smiles happily and a warm feeling spreads in her body.

TaeminsWings: Hehehe… :DDD

NamTei: And what about me? Am I special to you to? *does aegyo*

TaeminsWings: Naturally! ^^

NamTei: Yessss! ^^ lol

Aaron mumbling to herself: Gosh, how can a guy be this sweet?! (Squeals)

TaeminsWings: You’re my correspondent in South Korea after all! ;-P

NamTei: Whaaaat?! ‘Correspondent’?! You’re so not cute! *huffs and pouts* ;-P

TaeminsWings: Lol!

Well, I don’t care! *pouts* I have other guys who think I’m cute and that I’m pretty when I laugh! Hrmpf! ;-P

NamTei: Oh really?

Taemin feels a strange twinge in his chest and he frowns. Even the smiley at the end indicating that she was just bantering with him couldn’t make it disappear.

TaeminsWings: Yup! Kevin said I had a pretty laughter, bleh! ;-P

NamTei: Kevin?

Taemin (while frowning): Who's Kevin…?

TaeminsWings: I haven’t told you about him?

Taemin (dispargingly): Is there even something to tell…?

NamTei: No?

TaeminsWings: Omg, how could I forget! *smacks head* He’s donutinlove’s childhood friend (Taemin thinking somewhat annoyed: You already said that…) and he’s also studying medicine just like donutinlove but he’s a year ahead of her. (Taemin’s thought: So, he’s older than Wings…? Tsk!) He’s really nice and funny :D (Taemin’s thought: Aigoo, just listen to yourself…! Tsk) I think I will be good friends with the two of them…!

NamTei: And I guess he’s handsome too, right…?

TaeminsWings: Wellllll~ If measured by European standards… ^^

Taemin (muttering): Tsk, the perfect womanizer…! Figures…! Although I haven’t met this childhood friend guy even once I already can’t stand him!

NamTei: Well, you are European…

Taemin doesn’t know why this fact feels so defeating.

TaeminsWings: Even so! Lee Taemin still remains unbeaten! :3 I don’t think he’ll ever stop being the number one strikingly handsome guy in my eyes… hehehehe *^^*

Reading that, a triumphant and happy smile finds its way into Taemin’s expression.

Taemin: In your face, childhood friend! Ha!

NamTei: He’ll be glad to hear that! :DD I heard SHINee released a new MV?

TaeminsWings: YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!! >><< It’s simply AMAZING!! BEAUTIFUL!! MARVELLOUS!! Just sdflskdjflaksdgleosjlkjslkdl!!!! *fangirl scream* I fell in love with Taemin all over again!! KYAAAAAAAAAAA! *><*

Okay, imma stop now… ><

Taemin: No, don’t. Seeing you this happy because of something I did makes me feel that it was worth it…

TaeminsWings: You know these are the moments when I want to meet him the most… :)

NamTei: Why?

TaeminsWings: Because I want to give him a hug or at least shake his hand and tell him how thankful I am towards him for working this hard. I want him to see my facial expression because I’m sure it shows better than anything else how much his music and dancing mean to me. I want him to know that he did well…

Taemin: Wings, you’re killing me… I want that hug so bad now…

Taemins eyes wander to the world map he has hanged up above his bed and he traces the distance between South Korea and Europe with his fingers. He lets his hand rest on the continent while looking at it absentmindedly.

Taemin mumbles: Just why are you hiding over there, Wings…?

 

-------------------------

Gosh, that was the longest conversaion I ever wrote...! That what you wanted, kpuusepp? ^^